Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those of you who miss the Cloud (or other black/dark) Themes...

Options
  • 20-08-2012 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

... we said we'd have a dark version of the new layout and here it is:

217704.jpg
    (click for a full size look).

We're hoping to get it rolled out soon, it'll be a selectable theme in your "Appearance Settings" in your User Control Panel.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

+1 bazillion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Me likey. Me likey a lot! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Update: It's not going to roll out this week, I'm really sorry, I was all excited and forgot to check with Paddy and the rest of the Tech Team how far along the dev work on it was. We'll hopefully have a better idea on the roll-out time later in the week. Again apologies (mostly to Paddy for causing him panic).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

hqdefault.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I don't miss the old Cloud theme...

...Because I'm still using it :pac:

Awesome job on the new one ;)

Same, although are there any features to encourage change to the new version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Awesome job on the new one ;)

This.

Thank you, guys. Thank you so much. Words cannot describe how much I appreciate this.

Tell Dav to buy you a pint for me. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Looks great.

I've been waiting for a dark theme since the new look was released, so I suppose another week or so won't hurt.

Good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Dav wrote: »
    Update: It's not going to roll out this week, I'm really sorry, I was all excited and forgot to check with Paddy and the rest of the Tech Team how far along the dev work on it was. We'll hopefully have a better idea on the roll-out time later in the week. Again apologies (mostly to Paddy for causing him panic).

Me, panic? Never...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

That looks quite nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oh grand! I've used Cloud for ages and look good in Black. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

That looks very very cool

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As am I and all the cool people :cool:

So what you're saying in the OP is that soon the Cloud theme will disappear, but when it does, all we have to do is go to appearance settings or some such to remove the bland white..

Will the rolleyes emoticons be like the cloud versions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

dfx- wrote: »
    So what you're saying in the OP is that soon the Cloud theme will disappear

Not at all, we're just saying if you prefer the new layout but dislike the colour scheme now you'll have another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nice one. Will make migrating easier when I have to do it

All you need to do now is rename it to Cloud to add the Boards characters to the frontpage we're sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Rabies wrote: »
    Nice one. Will make migrating easier when I have to do it

All you need to do now is rename it to Cloud to add the Boards characters to the frontpage we're sorted :)

HA! But, I don't see any 'Boards Characters' on the front page! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

HA! But, I don't see any 'Boards Characters' on the front page! :P

Do we need to submit a feature request? I miss them fellas too. :(

Well... we can either put the dark theme into development or stop that development and bring back them fellas? I'm not sure the development resources are there for both! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I drew stickmen in permanent marker on my screen. Damn progress ain't going to get the better of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

This post has been deleted.

It all depends on what screen technology the phone uses. IPS-LCD technology (by far the most common) uses a backlight and transistor gates to control color. The backlight eats battery and is always on when the screen is not in standby so the colour doesn't matter. To get better power consumption decrease the brightness of the backlight.

OLED/AMOLED/Super AMOLED doesn't use a backlight, so black pixels aren't drawing any power. Samsung is pretty much the juggernaut for AMOLED, most of their phones (in addition to a smattering of other offerings from HTC/Nokia like the Lumia and HTC One S) use that screen tech. These will see a benefit from a swap to a dark theme but it's really only a benefit that correlates to the time spent browsing Boards on the touch site so unless you're spending two or three hours a day on touch I couldn't see it having a huge effect on consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Dav wrote: »
    ... we said we'd have a dark version of the new layout and here it is...

How did I miss this?

Fair play to you guys-have had the new layout since you linked it, and the only thing I miss is my dark background-thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hmm, how do I select it?

ddorb9.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hmm, how do I select it?

ddorb9.jpg

Hey EnterNow,

We haven't announced it's available yet.
    Currently we're testing it and all going to plan, it'll be available later on today.
    We'll pop a notice up when it's gone live! :-)

Tony.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Why doesn't the alternative theme apply for the homepage? The break in continuity can be slightly jarring

Why doesn't the alternative theme apply for the homepage? The break in continuity can be slightly jarring

Its up ? I dont see anything about themes when I click the link in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Not the new dark theme but I was wondering why it was the case for the old dark themes

Ah ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Not the new dark theme but I was wondering why it was the case for the old dark themes

The front page did not fall under the realm of styles since it is not a standard vBulletin page.

If you choose the New Beta style and pick a different theme when they are launched then the front page will take on the colours of that theme.

Danny

• Advertisement

It should be called the Black Mesa Theme :p

Advertisement