Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght - officially worst place to live in the State

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"Everywhere has its bad parts" ?

Castleknock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

You can only laugh at the people jumping to defend this.

It just confirms everything that people already thought; That areas including Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Clondalkin, the Pearse Street area and Ronanstown are crime filled kips. You can say what you like about "everywhere having its bad spots", these places have been defended time and time again and yet the report released shows a culture of crime in these spots.

If you live there, you live in a dump and your neighbours are dodgy. Get over it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

PieForPi wrote: »

It just confirms everything that people already thought; That areas including Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Clondalkin, the Pearse Street area and Ronanstown are crime filled kips. You can say what you like about "everywhere having its bad spots", these places have been defended time and time again and yet the report released shows a culture of crime in these spots.

If you live there, you live in a dump and your neighbours are dodgy. Get over it :)

While I agree the area's mentioned of Tallaght like Jobstown, Killinarden, Fettercairn are kips, not every part of the suburb's you mentioned are kips. My estate behind the Green Isle hotel in Clondalkin isn't a kip, neither is Kingswood or Old Bawn in Tallaght, come to think of it, most of Blanchardstown these day's is majority middle class housing and normal income.

You might want to actually venture outside that ivory tower of your's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

MaxSteele wrote: »
    most of Blanchardstown these day's is majority middle class housing and normal income.

They just have a bit a cheeky taste for crime, do they?

Ah sure listen, the figures are lying. These are great areas and these huge levels of crimes aren't actually happening, it's all lies by the D4 media, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

CLONDALKIN IS NOT IN THE TOP TEN!! Jaysus!

We're practically a utopia.

phasers wrote: »
    CLONDALKIN IS NOT IN THE TOP TEN!! Jaysus!

We're practically a utopia.
    It's no.9 in Dublin though :D

It's no.9 in Dublin though :D
    Ah sure that's just the Tallaght spillover :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

phasers wrote: »
    Ah sure that's just the Tallaght spillover :cool:

Neilstown is just as bad as any of the worst areas in Tallaght.

Neilstown is just as bad as any of the worst areas in Tallaght.
    That's not what the statistics say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

They just have a bit a cheeky taste for crime, do they?

Ah sure listen, the figures are lying. These are great areas and these huge levels of crimes aren't actually happening, it's all lies by the D4 media, right?

No ... you're over exaggerating a few dodgy estates like Fortlawn, Whitestown and corduff in and around Blanch shopping center and tarring basically all of west Dublin (Clondalkin, Tallaght, Blanch) as no go area ghettos.

Your first comment resembled something by Paul The Hack Williams or Donal McIntyre in the god awful Sunday World newspaper.

Tone down the stereotyping please sir. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Well at least we're the best at something.

I wouldn't be putting that on a sale/let notice for a property In tallaght!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Stats probably fiddled all over the place

You don't get promoted if the division next door has better stats

The amounts of times I've gone up to make reports and only once did I get a letter with a pulse reference

I doubt my crime was ever recorded. Maybe on a notebook but not in a reporting system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I can already tell you the stats for burglaries in Tallaght are inaccurate, purely because in a lot of instances people in the area won't bother calling the Gardai about it. Even when walking around Tallaght some friends and family members have had phones and wallets stolen from them, in two of these instances they rang the Garda station but it's pointless - they're too busy dealing with bigger issues in the Tallaght area to be of any use for these things. Same goes for (minor) property burglaries.

As for people saying Tallaght has it's good parts and bad parts, I agree but it's not like it's the land of hopes and dreams or anything. I've seen people openly dealing, when I come home late at night there's usually a bunch of scummers wandering around the estate who'll generally shout at and start on people walking through the estate. It can be pretty intimidating.

Yesterday I saw teenagers throwing empty beer bottles, that they found in some bushes, across the road towards each other and smashing them on the road. Don't give me this "ah there's not enough facilities for them" ****, I grew up in the same area and I didn't smash glass bottles on the road and start on random people purely because I didn't know who they were. It's not Baltimore, but it's not exactly this wonderful place that some of you seem to think it is.

No ... you're over exaggerating a few dodgy estates like Fortlawn, Whitestown and corduff in and around Blanch shopping center and tarring basically all of west Dublin (Clondalkin, Tallaght, Blanch) as no go area ghettos.

I think you're over-exaggerating a few nice estates :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

One small thing I always find interesting (outside of official stats) when observing how bad an area is, is to have a look at pedestrian bridges crossing the main road. If they are covered by mesh wire, that indicates that the area is rife with degenerate, scumbags who have been throwing stuff down at passing cars.

For example, if you drive out the Stillorgan dual carriageway, you'll see well-designed houses and open pedestrian bridges. Go down the Tallaght dual carriageway and you'll see every single bridge caged - it keeps the degenerate youth animals at bay from terrorising law-abiding drivers passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Don't know how accurate the survey is. Thankfully I've never had any hassle out there although I did get a sense of bad cúnts going out there on the bus when I was younger.

If you were to ask me, straight up I'd say Finglas West. Haven't lived there since 2003 but the preceding years were the worst of my life by far. Scum of the earth, bástards, evil, junky, brain dead, list goes on.

Would I ever kill someone? Well, let me just say, if I had all those absolute bástards in one room, a shower system in there sprinkling petrol, a few matches I could lodge in when I saw fit, I genuinely do think I'd get pleasure hearing the fear, panic and great sense of helplessness from within. Not to mention screams from the unbearable pain and suffering they must be feeling. It's maybe a little more severe than them victimising quiet families by steeling their cars, smashing their houses, bullying and severely beating their kids (in groups always of course). Give the cowards and filth a taste of some authority.

Sorry if I went a bit off topic. I know it's been said a thousand times before but the legal system as it is is a fúcking joke and these bástards are not deterred so will carry on and get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Hold on a second, she gave her own experience of living in Tallaght and why she had to move away. She didn't generalise the whole area so take the chip off your shoulder and move on.

Hold on a second, she generalised the WHOLE area, im not sure if you have any concept of how big Tallaght is, take out google maps there. But thats like saying i lived in limerick for a few years and as much as i loved it its a horrible place to live.

So no i wont take any chip off anywhere or move on. You cant spout off that an area that has a geographical mass that size and a population in excess of 71,000 is horrible to live unless you specify where it was you lived. I called her on it. So give over.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Stats probably fiddled all over the place

You don't get promoted if the division next door has better stats

The amounts of times I've gone up to make reports and only once did I get a letter with a pulse reference

I doubt my crime was ever recorded. Maybe on a notebook but not in a reporting system

The reference number is generated when the crime is entered onto Pulse.

• Advertisement

Haha what ? seriously ?

I live in Clondalkin and have never heard of Little Lagos ? :D

Are you referring to that block of flats between the South Dublin county Council building and Xtra vision by any chance ?

Yeah, it's around there not very far from Nangor road. I went to a house party there some months ago and gave the taxi driver the address. Straight away he said "Ah yeh, Little Lagos". When I asked one of the house occupants, they said that it was due to the influx of Nigerians migrants. It does add wonderful cultural diversity - if you walk down there on a hot day and see the scores of African kids out playing on the street, it is like being transported to another continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Motorist wrote: »
    Yeah, it's around there not very far from Nangor road. I went to a house party there some months ago and gave the taxi driver the address. Straight away he said "Ah yeh, Little Lagos". When I asked one of the house occupants, they said that it was due to the influx of Nigerians migrants. It does add wonderful cultural diversity - if you walk down there on a hot day and see the scores of African kids out playing on the street, it is like being transported to another continent.

Where was it exactly? If one taxi driver said it, I think that makes it official.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

bluecode wrote: »
    Dublin 4 has it's fair share of dodgy areas too.

Funny how people don't seem to realise this.
    Even D4 isn't all leafy suburbs and coffee shops, its got its fair share of dodge too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My cousin comes from Crumlin which at the time (and still is I suppose) was considered a rough place. When she was at a dance one night a garda asked her to dance and then sasked where she was from. When she said "Crumlin" he said oh thats a very tough place. He tried to walk hom later she said " Might be a bit too tough for you". Thats what this thread reminds me of. I think tallaght people are some of the friendliest people going. If its too tough for you just dont go there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Even D4 isn't all leafy suburbs and coffee shops, its got its fair share of dodge too.

Yeah, Ringsend and Irishtown is dublin 4. Still, if someone told me I could have a house in a random area of Tallagh, or a random area of Dublin 4, I think I'd go with D4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ringsend or Jobstown, I know which one I'd rather live in.

Face it, Tallafornia should be renamed Knackerland with a flag above saying Here be Dragons (or thieving, pillaging knackers on every corner allegedly).
    Bravo Irish Times for bringing us this ground breaking (or face/car/house etc breaking if you live in Talleh) news.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Tallaghts like the new 80s and 90s version of ballymun ?

I think shows such as Tallafornia have done great work at dispelling some of the myths and negative stereotyping that exists around Tallaght :)

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think tallaght people are some of the friendliest people going.

Ah sure then they're grand!
    If its too tough for you just dont go there!

Yes, best leave the beasts to their beastly behaviour and carry on with our civilised lives. Sure they'd only rob ye if you went up there all soft faced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Ush1 wrote: »
    So sorry, why did you love it again?:(

The majority of my friends live in or near there, and until last week I still worked in Tallaght even though I now live the complete opposite side of Dublin and have done for the last 9 months or so. For the most part the people are lovely!
    listermint wrote: »
    I see, you've lived in every abode in tallaght, Super thanks for the insight......

em when did I say that? I just said what had happened to me personally while living there.
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Hold on a second, she gave her own experience of living in Tallaght and why she had to move away. She didn't generalise the whole area so take the chip off your shoulder and move on.

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I've lived in a rough part of Dublin for three years and nice parts of Dublin for around four years, the difference is immense, if you live in a pleasant, well to do area there's a sense of ease and freedom about the place and you feel much more relaxed in your everyday comings and goings.

Using the local amenities and pubs is a much nicer experience as well, when I lived in Finglas, one guy had his arm severed with a samurai sword in one pub and two other fatal shootings happened in other pubs,what makes people go out for a drink in these types of places is something I can never fathom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

To be honest, the majority of suburbs in North Dublin are all the exact same.

I live in Artane, jaysus we've had about 3 cars nicked or broken into, the house has been broken into too and a load of them in the same estate.

Never hear anything back from the Gardai once you report a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

stetyrrell wrote: »
    To be honest, the majority of suburbs in North Dublin are all the exact same.

I live in Artane, jaysus we've had about 3 cars nicked or broken into, the house has been broken into too and a load of them in the same estate.

Never hear anything back from the Gardai once you report a case.

name some. there are more working class 'rough' areas south of the liffey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I bloody hate the way Tallaght is written about in the newspapers! They nearly always make it sound as if it was a tiny village or whatever, when it's actually a huge collection of estates. I would much rather they got rid of the name Tallaght (except for the village, I guess) and called each part/estate by its own name, like they do with villages and small towns everywhere else in the country. I'm not denying that there is bad crime in Tallaght - but it's not in all of Tallaght. There are certain parts that I wouldn't go near by myself, yet there are others that I would have no problem walking in (even at night) and where you don't get these "random scumbags" hassling you. It's annoying and downright misleading that the latter places get lumped in with the former ones.

Also, I know it's been said, but that article completely misconstrues those statistics. There is absolutely no point comparing figures when the catchment area and population is not considered. 977 burglaries in Tallaght, with a population of 71,000 (0.013 per head of population) is not actually worse than 347 in Rathfarnham with a population of 17,000 (0.02 per head of population)! You're more likely to be burgled in Rathfarnham than Tallaght, judging by those figures. But why report it like that when they can play on age-old stereotypes instead?

And finally, I definitely think that Tallaght needs another Garda station (or three). Limerick city has a smaller population, yet four times as many Garda stations. The mind boggles!

name some. there are more working class 'rough' areas south of the liffey

Donnycarney, Ballymun, Finglas, Coolock, Kilmore, Ballybough, Cabra, Darndale East Wall, Sheriff Street, The rest of the dockland areas, some would say Marino/Fairview.

Let's be honest, the majority of Dublin is an absolute kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Fair share of dodge? Seriously, give me a break -people don't seem to realise because there is nothing to realise! I've lived in Dublin 4 for quite some time and the dodgiest thing in Donnybrook is the accent.

Now whereas it's all very lovely of people to try and insinuate that all areas are created equal, that just isn't how the world works I'm afraid. Some places are dumps, others aren't -simple as!

Donnycarney, Ballymun, Finglas, Coolock, Kilmore, Ballybough, Cabra, Darndale East Wall, Sheriff Street, The rest of the dockland areas, some would say Marino/Fairview.

then you have - south inner city from heuston to the south docks, ringsend, Irishtown, pearse street (same as sherrif street that you listed), parts of rathmines. parts of ranelagh, same with rathmines and harolds cross, crumlin, dolphins barn, drimnagh, clondalkin, palererstown, ballyfermot, tallaght, walkinstown, sundrive, dun laoghaire, mounttown, monkstown farm, sallynoggin, ballybrack, shanganagh ciffs, kilcross, moreen in sandyford, holylands,
    there are probably more

then you have - south inner city from heuston to the south docks, ringsend, Irishtown, pearse street (same as sherrif street that you listed), parts of rathmines. parts of ranelagh, same with rathmines and harolds cross, crumlin, dolphins barn, drimnagh, clondalkin, palererstown, ballyfermot, tallaght, walkinstown, sundrive, dun laoghaire, mounttown, monkstown farm, sallynoggin, ballybrack, shanganagh ciffs, kilcross, moreen in sandyford, holylands,
    there are probably more

That is actually depressing. And to think Dubs go on about Culchies and "down the country" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

..... come to think of it, most of Blanchardstown these day's is majority middle class housing and normal income.....

middle class? you mad? :pac:

Fortlawn, Mountview, Corduff, Whitestown, Ladys Well (I could go on) are all counsil estates with just working class people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Cienciano wrote: »
    Dalkey, Killiney, Foxrock? Tallagh no rougher than those? Do they have dodgy areas?
    Millions of small villages that have no dodgy area either.

Yes, I live there and can tell you that there are dodgy areas in each of these.
    For example the dart station in Killiney is notorious for muggings.
    My bike was also robbed from a house I was visiting nearby.

there are probably more

It's not a competition, relax. The more I think about this the more I want to emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be fair, Tallaght is massive, to write off the whole area as awful to live in just isn't true. Kingswood, Oldbawn and apparently Kilnamanagh (don't know about the 3rd one, just what my mate who lives there told me) are all very settled, privately owned, pretty much middle class areas. I'd be quite happy walking around Kingswood at night, I wouldn't say the same about Neilstown, parts of Finglas, Cabra, East Wall etc.

I find there's a massive east-west divide in Tallaght, the eastern areas are wealthier, quieter, nowhere near as many social problems etc. compared to West Tallaght-Jobstown, Fettercairn etc.
    gara wrote: »
    Fair share of dodge? Seriously, give me a break -people don't seem to realise because there is nothing to realise! I've lived in Dublin 4 for quite some time and the dodgiest thing in Donnybrook is the accent.

There's way more to Dublin 4 than Donnybrook which just goes to show how little you know about the area. I agree that Sandymount/Ballsbridge/Donnybrook are very wealthy and safe for the most part, especially since the Beech Hill estate behind the Bus depot seems to have become a lot more settled, it used to have a dodgy enough spot back in the day. However Ringsend/Irishtown definately are a lot 'rougher' areas. I wouldn't put them on the same scale as parts of Finglas or Jobstown but there's definately some dodgy elements hanging around, admidtedly nowhere near as bad as the 80's or 90's. If you're living near some of the flat complexes in Irishtown you're going to have a very different experience to someone living on Aylesbury Road to be fair.
    there are probably more

Dun Laoghaire is an odd one, a really strange mix of some very wealthy people alongside some very poor ones along with everything in between. It has some problems definately but it doesn't belong in that list.

Mountown was an absolute drug infested mess in the 80's and early 90's but all the flats have been knocked down now and a new community centre built, it's not too bad now but I wouldn't leave my car on the road there probably.

Monkstown Farm is odd as well, the outer edges of the estate are all middle classish but it has some bad spots in the centre, that pub has a bad rep as well.

Sallynoggin and Ballybrack both seem to be fairly settled these days, a little bit of trouble now and again but nowhere near as bad as Jobstown for example.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Yes, I live there and can tell you that there are dodgy areas in each of these.
    For example the dart station in Killiney is notorious for muggings.
    My bike was also robbed from a house I was visiting nearby.

Killiney doesn't have dodgy areas itself, more that it's surrounded by places like Shankill, Ballybrack etc. which have some scummy elements floating around.

It's not a competition, relax. The more I think about this the more I want to emigrate.

i never said it was, i just want to show that there is more dodgy areas south of the liffey to try put the silly myth to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dublin is a bit a ****ehole as far as I can see, every time I'm forced to go there I like it a little less. Some of the more affluent suburbs are beautiful but the city centre is a dump and so are most of the suburbs. My aunt used to live in clontarf, that was nice, I could live there but the rest of the parts I've seen are mostly sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

There's way more to Dublin 4 than Donnybrook which just goes to show how little you know about the area. I agree that Sandymount/Ballsbridge/Donnybrook are very wealthy and safe for the most part, especially since the Beech Hill estate the Bus depot seems to have become a lot more settled, it used to have a dodgy enough spot back in the day. However Ringsend/Irishtown definately are a lot 'rougher' areas. I wouldn't put them on the same scale as parts of Finglas or Jobstown but there's definately some dodgy elements hanging around, admidtedly nowhere near as bad as the 80's or 90's. If you're living near some of the flat complexes in Irishtown you're going to have a very different experience to someone living on Aylesbury Road to be fair.

I'm well aware of the geography of Dublin 4 thank you and indeed, most of South Dublin so less of the assumptions please. Ringsend may be comparatively less desirable than the Morehampton Road but it's not even in the same league as Tallaght when it comes to widespread social problems and probably never will be

i never said it was, i just want to show that there is more dodgy areas south of the liffey to try put the silly myth to bed

I think that's down to literally a couple of areas over that side, Donnybrook, Blackrock, and Ballsbridge. It's no more than the northside getting a reputation for being knackers because of Ballymun and Finglas etc, just look at areas like Malahide, Clontarf, Sutton and parts of Portmarnock, they're far from being ****holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Killiney doesn't have dodgy areas itself, more that it's surrounded by places like Shankill, Ballybrack etc. which have some scummy elements floating around.

It's the same area though really. In fact my house is in Ballybrack but zoned as Killiney to up the social class living here.
    I know what you're saying, I was just making a point as it's unfair to judge Tallaght as a whole and then nitpick in South Dublin areas. There are too good and bad areas in Tallaght.

Tallaght isn't the kind of place you'd go to for a nice trip on a sunny day.

gara wrote: »
    I'm well aware of the geography of Dublin 4 thank you and indeed, most of South Dublin so less of the assumptions please. Ringsend may be comparatively less desirable than the Morehampton Road but it's not even in the same league as Tallaght when it comes to widespread social problems and probably never will be
    Apologies so, I just think not acknowledging that Ringsend/Irishtown are of a very different socio-economic makeup to the rest of Dublin 4 is a trap a lot of people fall into.

To be fair though, Ringsend is tiny compared to Tallaght, it's like comparing Dublin to New York or London. Tallaght is simply too big to lump in as one area. I'd take living in Kingswood over Irishtown to be honest for example but obviously not over Fettercairn.

I wouldn't say Ringsend is 'comparatively' desirable, it's a lot, lot, lot less desirable but I get your point.

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    It's the same area though really. In fact my house is in Ballybrack but zoned as Killiney to up the social class living here.
    I know what you're saying, I was just making a point as it's unfair to judge Tallaght as a whole and then nitpick in South Dublin areas. There are too good and bad areas in Tallaght.

Agreed
    Motorist wrote: »
    Tallaght isn't the kind of place you'd go to for a nice trip on a sunny day.

It isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement