Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght - officially worst place to live in the State

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If they actually resourced heavily populated areas like Tallaght/Clondalkin etc with adequate numbers of Gardai then maybe the crime rates wouldn't be so high and peoples borderline snobbish views on these area's would improve.

One Garda station for areas as vast as Tallaght and Clondalkin is ridiculous.Especially when you consider that at any one time there's usually -8 Gardai actually available to respond to calls,unless there's a few reserves on duty too.

For the record I've walked home from Jobstown to Clondalkin many's a night and never had any hassle,also used to walk home from work near Liffey Valley through Neilstown and Rowlagh at 12/1am and never had any bother either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Apologies so, I just think not acknowledging that Ringsend/Irishtown are of a very different socio-economic makeup to the rest of Dublin 4 is a trap a lot of people fall into

I agree, there's a wealth of difference (pardon the pun) on a local level between most Dublin suburbs and for the most part, these are natural segregations as like tends to attract like.

Therefore, the wealthy will tend to reside amongst the wealthy and less desirable members of society will equally be drawn to live amongst their own. That's why we see large areas like Tallaght, predominantly overrun by specific social groups, as we all congregate with what we're familiar with.

Unfortunately when the common denominator is criminality, these areas become a hotbed of social problems, causing respectable residents to move out and nobody else wanting to move in. Then you're left with a ghetto-like situation, dominated by undesirables who only perpetuate the negative reputation the area has gained.

The real problem is the serious lack of foresight by urban planners who should have anticipated these issues and never built such large scale social housing areas in the first instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory
    The broken windows theory is a criminological theory of the norm setting and signaling effect of urban disorder and vandalism on additional crime and anti-social behavior. The theory states that maintaining and monitoring urban environments in a well-ordered condition may stop further vandalism and escalation into more serious crime.

The theory was introduced in a 1982 article by social scientists James Q. Wilson and George L. Kelling. Since then it has been subject to great debate both within the social sciences and in the public sphere. The theory has been used as a motivation for several reforms in criminal policy.

The broken windows theory has received support from several empirical studies. At the same time it has also been the subject of a large body of criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

What's the point of these threads?? I used to live in "southside suburb" and it was alright now I live in " northside suburb" and it's much rougher...therefore northside more dangerous or vice versa......list out a load of council estates to Give ur self street cred........Dublin is harmless....this thread is a crock of ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Ghandee wrote: »
    Bollox!

Tallaght has its good and bad parts, just like any other place in the country.

Name me an area in Ireland, any area, and I bet someone could tell you it has a dodgy part.

I'm not from Tallaght, but I spend a lot of time in and around it, its no rougher than any other place IMO.

So...you just pass through do you? Having a little look round, eh?

Only messing with ya! Being a culchie and not being 'up' on parts of Dublin. My only geographical knowledge of Dublin was acquired from Dustin..."The Briggan, the Brack, the Fermet and the Noggin".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dd972 wrote: »
    I've lived in a rough part of Dublin for three years and nice parts of Dublin for around four years, the difference is immense, if you live in a pleasant, well to do area there's a sense of ease and freedom about the place and you feel much more relaxed in your everyday comings and goings.

Using the local amenities and pubs is a much nicer experience as well, when I lived in Finglas, one guy had his arm severed with a samurai sword in one pub and two other fatal shootings happened in other pubs,what makes people go out for a drink in these types of places is something I can never fathom
    Agreed, not sure why people try and make out that all places are the same with good and bad areas.
    Eathrin wrote: »
    Yes, I live there and can tell you that there are dodgy areas in each of these.
    For example the dart station in Killiney is notorious for muggings.
    My bike was also robbed from a house I was visiting nearby.
    Not sure if serious! Tell us the dodgy areas in Foxrock and Dalkey then? I'd put money on it that the "dodgy" areas there are nicer than the best area in Tallagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

then you have - south inner city from heuston to the south docks, ringsend, Irishtown, pearse street (same as sherrif street that you listed), parts of rathmines. parts of ranelagh, same with rathmines and harolds cross, crumlin, dolphins barn, drimnagh, clondalkin, palererstown, ballyfermot, tallaght, walkinstown, sundrive, dun laoghaire, mounttown, monkstown farm, sallynoggin, ballybrack, shanganagh ciffs, kilcross, moreen in sandyford, holylands,
    there are probably more

I moved to Dublin last year and my sister is moving up this month and she was asking advice about where to live. After I kept replying ''no, that place is dodgy'', ''no, that place is too'' she eventually asked me if there are any places that aren't dodgy. There aren't too many really when I thought about it, unless you want to pay a fortune in rent. I know this is off topic but she found a place in Ballymount and I've heard that it is a bit rough, what do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Hold on a second, she gave her own experience of living in Tallaght and why she had to move away. She didn't generalise the whole area so take the chip off your shoulder and move on.

She did though. Otherwise she would have said the area of Tallaght she was talkign about.
    I lived in Tallaght for years............ its a horrible place to live. .

Motorist wrote: »
    Tallaght isn't the kind of place you'd go to for a nice trip on a sunny day.

Are many areas that are made up of hosuing estates? Whether they are full of €150,000 or €1,500,000 houses, why would you be spending a sunny day in an eatate?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Supercell wrote: »
    Ringsend or Jobstown, I know which one I'd rather live in.

Face it, Tallafornia should be renamed Knackerland with a flag above saying Here be Dragons (or thieving, pillaging knackers on every corner allegedly).
    Bravo Irish Times for bringing us this ground breaking (or face/car/house etc breaking if you live in Talleh) news.

I see you're from Loughlinstown, people in glass houses and all that..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Moy Ross, Southill, Darndale...well burgularies probably go unreported usually in those places, and most people wouldn't have much worth robbing in them too.

I had a neighbour growing up who was targetted by burgulars a few times. He lived in a big Georgian house with tennis and basketball courts in its grounds. I must tell him he should move to Darndale.

Like people have said, Tallaght has bad areas, but as a whole isn't that bad.

My girlfriend lives in a 150 year old house in clondalkin village. The house next door had a fire (it was rented at the time) upstairs and hasnt had anyone in it since.

Other than the fact that between the fire (contained in a relatively small area upstairs) and the fire brigade two of the windows were broken the house just looks loke another old house down the country (think of a large farm hous)

A couple of weeks ago a neighbour across the road had to call the Gards becuase there was a group of girls flinging rocks through the windows thinking it was great crack to smash the place up. Typical of an area like Tallaght or Clondalkin I'm sure people will say, so nothing new. Only these girls were those visitors beloved of Dublin folk all over, Spanish students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The majority of my friends live in or near there, and until last week I still worked in Tallaght even though I now live the complete opposite side of Dublin and have done for the last 9 months or so. For the most part the people are lovely!

em when did I say that? I just said what had happened to me personally while living there.

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

Your still saying 'lived there' as in the fact that you lived everywhere in Tallaght, Tallaght isnt like saying you live in Kill or Blessington. Its scale is no where near any of them. So again if you dont get that then you shouldnt be commenting.

Describing somewhere that extends from the N7 all the way to the foothills of the mountains as horrible is idiotic and doesnt give the statement credence.

Maybe you can enlighten us to which area you lived and deem as 'a horrible place to live' in addition to all the lovely people that you now live by...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Haha what ? seriously ?

I live in Clondalkin and have never heard of Little Lagos ? :D

Are you referring to that block of flats between the South Dublin county Council building and Xtra vision by any chance ?

Yeah, it's around there not very far from Nangor road. I went to a house party there some months ago and gave the taxi driver the address. Straight away he said "Ah yeh, Little Lagos". When I asked one of the house occupants, they said that it was due to the influx of Nigerians migrants. It does add wonderful cultural diversity - if you walk down there on a hot day and see the scores of African kids out playing on the street, it is like being transported to another continent.

It's in cherrywood, I brought my kid to an African school party. Great hosts, food was very spicey but it was great craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Two bombs scares in 12 hours in the same area of Tallagh, maybe that previous poster was caught taking the dealers stash after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Supercell wrote: »
    Ringsend or Jobstown, I know which one I'd rather live in..

Ringsend doesn't make you piss your pants then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I think the two bomb scares in Cushlawn, Tallaght says it all really. This is not an infrequent occurence. Between viable explosive devices and regular shootings, it is little wonder Tallaght has the reputation it does. Many of these incidences of weapons discharge, etc never even make it to the news media.

These are regular occurrences and it is symptomatic of the various other major social problems this area has. The inhabitants of this area are heavily subsidised by the State as it is, hard to know what more can be done to combat this deep, ingrained culture of dependency on welfare and lack of respect for the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ah, sure we've all know that since that Tallfornia documentary last year

I think the two bomb scares in Cushlawn, Tallaght says it all really. This is not an infrequent occurence. Between viable explosive devices and regular shootings, it is little wonder Tallaght has the reputation it does.

Have you thought about committing these stunning insights to an academic journal or study? They are too piercing and groundbreaking to be confined to an Internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

Come on now lads sure every area has its fair share of bomb scares.

I think they should just call Tallaght a write off and flatten the place with everyone in it.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Have you thought about committing these stunning insights to an academic journal or study? They are too piercing and groundbreaking to be confined to an Internet forum.

Nothing groundbreaking, everyone knows what kind of place Tallaght is. The Irish Times' study yesterday just confirmed it with statistical data. It might hit close to the bone given your familiarity with the area.

Nothing groundbreaking,.

Fucking A.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Ah, sure we've all know that since that Tallfornia documentary last year

Filming for the new Tallafornia began in the classy resort of Santa Ponsa last week. All the cast from last year have returned. Whatever you might think about the show, they are great ambassadors for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Filming for the new Tallafornia began in the classy resort of Santa Ponsa last week. All the cast from last year have returned. Whatever you might think about the show, they are great ambassadors for the area.

natalie gerathy is from crumlin, i know her. she is far more 'settled' than the other girls on that 'show'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

PieForPi wrote: »
    I think they should just call Tallaght a write off and flatten the place with everyone in it.

Or put them all on a garbage-barge sent off to sea, to bare-knuckle fight until one emerges as king of their floating hell.

(Whichever is cheaper! :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

as far as i can see having grown up in Dublin there are areas where the local kids are liable to throw a bottle/can of beans at your car and other areas where the local kids are liable to throw eggs at your car.

These 'new' estates built around the fringes of the city back in the '50's and '60's were poorly planned and as a result we are still seeing bad social problems.

Tallaght being the biggest suburb unfortunately gets the most/worst attention.

Shocking to think there's only 1 Garda station in Tallaght, however i wonder which is better 1 Garda station with 60 gardai inside doing paperwork/pottering about or 2 garda stations with 30 gardai inside both doing paperwork/pottering...

solution to many of the social issues affecting most areas in dublin and the country would be parents taking responsibility for their kids and also the gardai having a much better presence on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The area I lived in was very rough,

They then closed down the sandpaper factory and were grand now.

Two bombs scares in 12 hours in the same area of Tallagh, maybe that previous poster was caught taking the dealers stash after all!
    And one in d4

anncoates wrote: »

Nothing groundbreaking, everyone knows what kind of place Tallaght is. The Irish Times' study yesterday just confirmed it with statistical data. It might hit close to the bone given your familiarity with the area.
    And what of the post further up where there numbers showed that per head of population your more likely to be broken in to in rathfarnham?

Or will you just ignore that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

xylophones wrote: »
    theres nutin fer de childredn te do, deey HAVE te hang round de streets!!!

I really hate that refrain too.

I go through Jobstown on my way to work, there's acres of playing fields, basket ball courts, comunity centers, gym and fitness clubs, a comunity creche, a fockin equestrian centre for all the scobies to keep their piebald ponies, not to mention the fact that they're a 5 minute free luas ride to Tallaght with shoping, a massive new library and T.I.T up the road... I grew up in Blackrock and didn't have access to the kind of facilities that get thown at some these deprived areas!

conorhal wrote: »

I go through Jobstown on my way to work, there's acres of playing fields, basket ball courts, comunity centers, gym and fitness clubs, a comunity creche, a fockin equestrian centre for all the scobies to keep their piebald ponies, not to mention the fact that they're a 5 minute free luas ride to Tallaght with shoping, a massive new library and T.I.T up the road... I grew up in Blackrock and didn't have access to the kind of facilities that get thown at some these deprived areas!

Which is it ? You appear confused....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

listermint wrote: »

perhaps I should have said 'deprived' then....

Of course it depends on how you want to define deprived, let me put it this way, the worst deprivaton these areas seem to suffer isn't material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

He's not confused.
    The talking heads and the poverty industry in the media bleat on about "deprived areas" lacking facilities.

My homeland has nothing of the facilities Tallaght has, yet is not considered deprived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

She did though. Otherwise she would have said the area of Tallaght she was talkign about.
    Your still saying 'lived there' as in the fact that you lived everywhere in Tallaght, Tallaght isnt like saying you live in Kill or Blessington. Its scale is no where near any of them. So again if you dont get that then you shouldnt be commenting.

Describing somewhere that extends from the N7 all the way to the foothills of the mountains as horrible is idiotic and doesnt give the statement credence.

Maybe you can enlighten us to which area you lived and deem as 'a horrible place to live' in addition to all the lovely people that you now live by...

For legal reasons, and the fact that it is a very very high profile case that hasnt gone to court yet. I don't want to give the exact location, or say exactly what happened. Its also why I am not saying where I live now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I blame Nikita

She ruined Tallaght!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I blame Nikita

She ruined Tallaght!!

She's from Clondalkin :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Lumbo wrote: »
    She's from Clondalkin :cool:

Same thing, init?

/hides from Phasers

For legal reasons, and the fact that it is a very very high profile case that hasnt gone to court yet. I don't want to give the exact location, or say exactly what happened. Its also why I am not saying where I live now.

Then id imagine keeping stum on all of it would be best practice besides labelling and entire region because of some localised issues you had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

MaxSteele wrote: »
    While I agree the area's mentioned of Tallaght like Jobstown, Killinarden, Fettercairn are kips, not every part of the suburb's you mentioned are kips. My estate behind the Green Isle hotel in Clondalkin isn't a kip, neither is Kingswood or Old Bawn in Tallaght, come to think of it, most of Blanchardstown these day's is majority middle class housing and normal income.

You might want to actually venture outside that ivory tower of your's.

Old bawn is a bit of a shít hole!
    phasers wrote: »
    That's not what the statistics say

As jimmy carr says, statistics say the vast majority of people enjoy gang rape, you can't neccesarily trust statistics!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My homeland has nothing of the facilities Tallaght has, yet is not considered deprived.

Your what now? Where is this magical, wonderful "homeland" that is free of depravity?

• Advertisement

Then id imagine keeping stum on all of it would be best practice besides labelling and entire region because of some localised issues you had.

Eh why do you think I have been keeping it quiet and not talking about it. Its other people who are pushing for details and a location. The thread is called Tallaght - Officially the worst place to live in the state. My family lived there and it ruined our lives. Why would I not try to give my point of view. People are saying that the bad name has no basis. In my view it has a name for a reason. We never had any problems before we lived there. And haven't had any since we moved out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've only ever visited a handful of times, mostly for social events. For the most part it was great craic. It's ok in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A general rule is that if you drive around an area, the more government funded buildings with the word "community" in the title, the worse the area.

Eh why do you think I have been keeping it quiet and not talking about it. Its other people who are pushing for details and a location. The thread is called Tallaght - Officially the worst place to live in the state. My family lived there and it ruined our lives. Why would I not try to give my point of view. People are saying that the bad name has no basis. In my view it has a name for a reason. We never had any problems before we lived there. And haven't had any since we moved out.

Your missing the point entirely.... no 42 XXXX estate, Tallaght does not equate to and entire area consisting have literally thousands of homes dozens of primary schools and various secondary schools. The place is huge, you might have been living in a not so great location within it, so please keep your sweeping generalisations out of it.

Its big, and with your 'experience' i thought you might actually realise that.

Your missing the point entirely.... no 42 XXXX estate, Tallaght does not equate to and entire area consisting have literally thousands of homes dozens of primary schools and various secondary schools. The place is huge, you might have been living in a not so great location within it, so please keep your sweeping generalisations out of it.

Its big, and with your 'experience' i thought you might actually realise that.

It wasn't just the area I lived in. I worked and lived there for years, different places throughout the years. Obviously I have seen my fair share of it and I cant even count the number of times I've been started on or had abuse hurled at me, at various locations throughout Tallaght, so its not really a sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

People who want to hate Tallaght will hate in nothing anyone can say will change their mind/perceptions. Some may have just read negative news reports others may have had bad experiences in the area either way we're not going to agree.

What is amazing is that nobody has brought up the Firhouse area of Tallaght.

/Runs before Firhouse 'we're not from Tallaght' brigade turns up!!

It wasn't just the area I lived in. I worked and lived there for years, different places throughout the years. Obviously I have seen my fair share of it and I cant even count the number of times I've been started on or had abuse hurled at me, at various locations throughout Tallaght, so its not really a sweeping generalisation.

Well im sorry if thats your experience, but at least you clarified more of your own story. Not that i agree in anyway with it having lived here near 30 years and not had abuse hurled at me or been involved in anything which i would describe as frightening.

Well im sorry if thats your experience, but at least you clarified more of your own story. Not that i agree in anyway with it having lived here near 30 years and not had abuse hurled at me or been involved in anything which i would describe as frightening.

It depends on the person. It seems if you don't look a certain way or dress a certain way you will be victimised. I had gravy thrown in my hair once while sitting in kfc having a meal, simply because I had black hair and was wearing black. Also being a girl you tend to end up being an easy target. New years day I was walking home and was stopped on the street by a guy and was told I had to suck him off because it was new years. When I tried to leave he threatened me until I called the guards. I walked to the shop from my house once to get milk and was accused by a load of teenagers of being a drug dealer, apparently wearing a metallica hoody means you are a drug dealer. These werent just one off things, stuff like this happened constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Problem was none of these things existed when the estates were first built,and the state let a great deal of neglect set in before they started to attempt to remedy the social problems that they pretty much created with their poor/non-existent planning.

If you grew up in Blackrock you had beaches/seaside on your doorstep not to mention the basic things like shops,churches,bus routes etc.The estate I grew up in in North Clondalkin didn't even have proper footpaths or street lighting for months after we moved in,and our only options for grocery shopping were a mobile newsagents that used to set up on a field for a few hours everyday,or trudge 40 minutes each way to Clondalkin Village or Ballyfermot carrying shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

xylophones wrote: »
    highly doubt that its just 1% ruining it, id say the ratio of scumbags to 'salt of the earth dubs' is a lot different to what youre letting on! even being at the luas stop up there is taking your life in your own hands...

I think it might be a bit higher than 1% too, or else maybe they're all coming after me! ;) I'm from Tallaght and I was mugged three times in my estate, once at the top of my own road even. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been verbally abused, and stupid stuff like getting stuff thrown at you and to get a laugh someone went to run me over and then stopped (my brother thought that was very funny!), even some of the kids around really scare me. I'm still kind of fond it because it's where I grew up and my parents are still there, and it's full of sounds skins of course, but I feel frightened walking through certains parts on my own, tense at the best of times after all the things that have happened. I don't think I'll ever move back, it's sad.

But yeah poorly phrased article in the Irish Times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement