Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght - officially worst place to live in the State

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

listermint wrote: »
    Well im sorry if thats your experience, but at least you clarified more of your own story. Not that i agree in anyway with it having lived here near 30 years and not had abuse hurled at me or been involved in anything which i would describe as frightening.

She doesn't have to justify herself to you either way, would you lay off her FFS.

It also sounds like you've been very lucky in your 30 odd years in Tallaght then, or are being completely blinkered, as everyone else on the thread has admitted (even if they live there and love it) that Tallaght has some problems. And I'm saying 'Tallaght' not 'parts of Tallaght', because the whole area happens to be called Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Tallaght is a ****e-hole. Shocking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

listermint wrote: »
    Well im sorry if thats your experience, but at least you clarified more of your own story. Not that i agree in anyway with it having lived here near 30 years and not had abuse hurled at me or been involved in anything which i would describe as frightening.

Tell me your secret to a hassle free stroll listermint! I must be doing something wrong! Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

It depends on the person. It seems if you don't look a certain way or dress a certain way you will be victimised. I had gravy thrown in my hair once while sitting in kfc having a meal, simply because I had black hair and was wearing black. Also being a girl you tend to end up being an easy target. New years day I was walking home and was stopped on the street by a guy and was told I had to suck him off because it was new years. When I tried to leave he threatened me until I called the guards. I walked to the shop from my house once to get milk and was accused by a load of teenagers of being a drug dealer, apparently wearing a metallica hoody means you are a drug dealer. These werent just one off things, stuff like this happened constantly.

I agree, I've suspected that some of the grief I get is because of my hair and the way I dress and gender definitely comes in. My brothers don't get half as much sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

conorhal wrote: »
    I grew up in Blackrock and didn't have access to the kind of facilities that get thown at some these deprived areas!

You could probably use whatever facilities were there in a non-life threatening context though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

2 of my mates do temporary work in shops around the country. One in a hire purchase shop (which doesn't exist anymore), another in a pharmacy. Both worked right across inner city dublin and both said Tallaght was a different kettle of fish.
    Pharmacy guy refuses work in tallaght now (buckingham street is far better apparently) because of the scum that came into the shop, HP guy had no choice but when people came in to pay off an installement he said he was spat at and shouted at regularly.
    Obviously not everyone there is a scummer, but it's just a higher percentage than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I would rather live in Jobstown than Moyross any day of the week.

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Problem was none of these things existed when the estates were first built,and the state let a great deal of neglect set in before they started to attempt to remedy the social problems that they pretty much created with their poor/non-existent planning.

If you grew up in Blackrock you had beaches/seaside on your doorstep not to mention the basic things like shops,churches,bus routes etc.The estate I grew up in in North Clondalkin didn't even have proper footpaths or street lighting for months after we moved in,and our only options for grocery shopping were a mobile newsagents that used to set up on a field for a few hours everyday,or trudge 40 minutes each way to Clondalkin Village or Ballyfermot carrying shopping.

I think it's somewhat disingenuous to blame the State for Tallaght's numerous social problems. The area is a massive net beneficiary of State funds through vast numbers of social housing projects, community schemes, countless inhabitants claiming various welfare, free medical care, etc, etc. The area as a whole certainly doesn't pay it's own way or come anywhere close. Perhaps Tallaght and it's inhabitants should evolve from this culture of dependency and start taking responsibility for themselves, rather than always looking for someone else to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Problem was none of these things existed when the estates were first built,and the state let a great deal of neglect set in before they started to attempt to remedy the social problems that they pretty much created with their poor/non-existent planning.

If you grew up in Blackrock you had beaches/seaside on your doorstep not to mention the basic things like shops,churches,bus routes etc.The estate I grew up in in North Clondalkin didn't even have proper footpaths or street lighting for months after we moved in,and our only options for grocery shopping were a mobile newsagents that used to set up on a field for a few hours everyday,or trudge 40 minutes each way to Clondalkin Village or Ballyfermot carrying shopping.

I take it you're from Neilstown ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Thread title should be changed IMO. It's misleading seeing as the article is about burglaries specifically, not life in general. Also, the Times was very irresponsible to just write "Tallaght". Where in Tallaght? It's, as everyone knows, not the exact same throughout its relatively vast expanse.
    The insults being thrown at people from there and areas nearby are unnecessary and taking away from the discussion also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

very surprised by this as the terrible journalism is usually aimed at north dublin, even though there are more working class 'rough' areas south of the liffey.

dundrum has bad areas, sweetmount is one
    rathfarnham has holylands
    blackrock has brookfield
    killiney has cromlech fields
    shankill, although its a decent village has shanganagh cliffs
    ranelagh has mount pleasant
    rathmines

the list goes on. yes, the northside has rough areas but people only ever seem to concentrate on them. south dublin is far rougher

as bad as shanganagh cliffs are they are NOTHING close to areas in tallaght , not in a million years - same with holylands or sweetmount

you just cant compare these areas to tallaght - tallaght wins the scum capital by a million miles - and trust me i know LOADS of super sound folk from tallaght - but its the worst spot in dublin by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I don't think I'm being disingenuous,what I meant was when these schemes (Tallaght/Clondalkin etc) were first built,residents were moved from the inner city for the most part,where they had friends,family and access to basic facilities and were basically abandoned out in what was then rural Dublin,where there was little or no facilities for adults or children.A lot of these social problems wouldn't have arisen,or would've been far less severe,if the state had actually bothered their arse with providing basic facilities and amenities in the first place.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Thread title should be changed IMO. It's misleading seeing as the article is about burglaries specifically, not life in general. Also, the Times was very irresponsible to just write "Tallaght". Where in Tallaght? It's, as everyone knows, not the exact same throughout its relatively vast expanse.
    The insults being thrown at people from there and areas nearby are unnecessary and taking away from the discussion also.

Live refers to living in a property, which is likely to be broken into if you are resident in Tallaght. And that's all outlined in the OP along with a link to the article where people can interpret the statistical data as they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Ghandee wrote: »
    Bollox!

Tallaght has its good and bad parts, just like any other place in the country.

Name me an area in Ireland, any area, and I bet someone could tell you it has a dodgy part.

I'm not from Tallaght, but I spend a lot of time in and around it, its no rougher than any other place IMO.

2 pipe bombs in one night in Tallaght. Two UNRELATED shootings on the same night on the same street in Tallaght. All this in the last few days/weeks

I think it's worse than many places in the country.

Tallaght has EARNED it's reputation. Just like Finglas, Clondalkin and Ballymun. These reputations don't just appear out of thin air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Motorist wrote: »
    Random intresting fact - A branch of Domino’s located in the Square shopping centre is the busiest of its 8,000 stores worldwide, apparently selling up to 200 pizzas an hour. The branch is the first in Domino’s 45-year history to hit a turnover of $3m (€2.35m) a year. The chain says that requires 1m pizzas a year or an eye-watering three a minute for every one of the 12 hours a day the branch is open.

Turnover = sales.

1 million pizzas a year would have a turnover of over €10 million euro at least. (They would have to be selling at €2.35 each for that statement to make sense)

Someones maths is well off

(not saying yours is as I suspect that's a copy and paste you used)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Turnover = sales.

1 million pizzas a year would have a turnover of over €10 million euro at least. (They would have to be selling at €2.35 each for that statement to make sense)

What about the cost of making the pizza, insurance, lights, staff, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Turnover = sales.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370004/The-pizza-firms-slicing-900-profit-delivery--1-25-make-Margherita--pay-12-49.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

pragmatic1 wrote: »

The branch is the first in Domino’s 45-year history to hit a turnover of $3m (€2.35m) a year

Turnover is the sales total - not the profit after costs.

Who knows, maybe there was confusion over the business terminology. The fact remains that Tallaght is worst place to live in Ireland and the pizza capital of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Live refers to living in a property, which is likely to be broken into if you are resident in Tallaght. And that's all outlined in the OP along with a link to the article where people can interpret the statistical data as they see fit.

I wish the person who wrote the article saw fit to interpret the statistics, then, instead of throwing them down and making false comparisons. I'm choosing Rathfarnham because it's easier to get a population figure for there than for other places mentioned in the article (does Waterford include the county or just the city?). Feel free to find that out and see if what I'm about to say holds up for other places (I daresay it will).

Saying that there's more burglaries in Tallaght than in Rathfarnham is like saying there's more burglaries in London than in Dublin. Tallaght has a population almost 6 times the size of the population of Rathfarnham, but only 3 times as many burglaries.

Based on those statistics, you have a 1 in 100 chance of being burgled in Tallaght and a 2 in 100 chance of being burgled in Rathfarnham. So not only is Tallaght not the worst place for burglaries when you consider the figures per capita, it has only half the level of burglaries that Rathfarnham has. But, hey, why let logic and facts get in the way of a good headline?

• Advertisement

I think it's somewhat disingenuous to blame the State for Tallaght's numerous social problems. The area is a massive net beneficiary of State funds through vast numbers of social housing projects, community schemes, countless inhabitants claiming various welfare, free medical care, etc, etc. The area as a whole certainly doesn't pay it's own way or come anywhere close. Perhaps Tallaght and it's inhabitants should evolve from this culture of dependency and start taking responsibility for themselves, rather than always looking for someone else to blame.

Funnily enough a lot of people brought up in nice areas always have a hard-on about other people (read: poor people) getting on in life without handouts and so on when the nice background and area they're originate from actually amounts to a head-start in life that many people simply don't get: not least an upbringing without generational poverty, low education expectation and detrimental peer pressure/ violence but also simply a foregrounding in values such as education, aspiration and so on.

Now, a great many people from the type of working class areas you are pontificating about actually do make something of their lives despite having the cards stacked against them from the start - whether that's to "succeed" or simply to defy expectation and be a law-abiding citizen with a job like the vast majority of people from such areas do and always will do.

If you took most of the people with a stable middle-class upbringing that contribute most of the cretinous bleating in threads like this and put them in a dysfunctional family in an area like Jobstown, nearly all of them wouldn't have the wherewithal, luck and strength to make the sort of lives that they currently take for granted and in fact, nearly all of them would probably just end up begging in town, in jail or on gear: as hopeless and unthinking a product of environment as the middle class bums on here that despite all their advantages in life are still sponging off their parents and moaning to all and sundry about actually having to go abroad to get a job.

anncoates wrote: »
    Funnily enough a lot of people brought up in nice areas always have a hard-on about other people (read: poor people) getting on in life without handouts and so on when the nice background and area they're originate from actually amounts to a head-start in life that many people simply don't get: not least an upbringing without generational poverty, low education expectation and detrimental peer pressure/ violence but also simply a foregrounding in values such as education, aspiration and so on.

Now, a great many people from the type of working class areas you are pontificating about actually do make something of their lives despite having the cards stacked against them from the start - whether that's to "succeed" or simply to defy expectation and be a law-abiding citizen with a job like the vast majority of people from such areas do.

If you took most of the people with a stable middle-class upbringing that contribute most of the cretinous bleating in threads like this and put them in a dysfunctional family in an area like Jobstown, nearly all of them wouldn't have the wherewithal, luck and strength to make the sort of lives that they currently take for granted and in fact, nearly all of them would probably just end up begging in town, in jail or on gear: as hopeless and unthinking a product of environment as the middle class bums on here that despite all their advantages in life are still sponging off their parents and moaning to all and sundry about actually having to go abroad to get a job.

What's the ground-breaking point you're trying to make here? If you had a group of decent, law-abiding people who have ambition in life and you somehow managed to take 30 points off their IQ, took away their drive to succeed, respect for the law, respect for education and other people, family values, gave them a drug addiction and put them in Jobstown on social welfare, it's possible they wouldn't do as well as they do. Wow, that's amazing. You should put that in one of the research journals you were sarcastically harping on about earlier on.

What's the ground-breaking point you're trying to make here? If you had a group of decent, law-abiding people who have ambition in life and you somehow managed to take 30 points off their IQ, took away their drive to succeed, respect for the law, respect for education and other people, family values, gave them a drug addiction and put them in Jobstown on social welfare, it's possible they wouldn't do as well as they do. Wow, that's amazing. You should put that in one of the research journals you were sarcastically harping on about earlier on.

If you admitted now that you're on a wind-up, it would almost be a relief as that kind of of skew-whiff extrapolation from what I'm trying to say otherwise beggars belief or simply suggests retardation.

If you admitted now that you're on a wind-up, it would almost be a relief as that kind of of skew-whiff extrapolation of what I'm trying to say otherwise beggars belief or simply suggests retardation.

At least you admit it's Jobstown dysfunctional families which contribute to the criminality of the areas inhabitants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Apologies so, I just think not acknowledging that Ringsend/Irishtown are of a very different socio-economic makeup to the rest of Dublin 4 is a trap a lot of people fall into.

I equate Ringsend/Irishtown to East Wall. They both came up in the world throughout the Celtic Tiger and a lot of young professionals moved into them due to their proximity to the city centre. They're both located next to middle class, affluent areas in Ballsbridge and Clontarf respectively. Lastly, they both have significant scumbag elements. It isn't just a couple of people. There have a few lads up for murder from the area in the last number of years and a decent amount of petty crime.

At least you admit it's Jobstown dysfunctional families which contribute to the criminality of the areas inhabitants.

I see you removed the chestnut from this post about children from places like Jobstown having the same opportunities as children all over the counry.

I think you're on a wind-up.

I see you removed the chestnut from this post about children from places like Jobstown having the same opportunities as children all over the counry.

I think you're on a wind-up.

What are Jobstown children deprived of? Clothes, food, water, medicine, housing? Free education? Are their human rights and rights as citizens of this State not intact? Go on, tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Live refers to living in a property, which is likely to be broken into if you are resident in Tallaght.
    But less likely than say, living in Rathfarnham. So Rathfarnham must be the worst place in Ireland to live accordinging to your trollololologic

CiaranC wrote: »
    But less likely than say, living in Rathfarnham. So Rathfarnham must be the worst place in Ireland to live accordinging to your trollololologic

The logic was that of the Irish Times. I suppose you'd contend that the paper of record was trolling yesterday when it published that article ?

The logic was that of the Irish Times. I suppose you'd contend that the paper of record was trolling yesterday when it published that article ?

The article is nonsense. Tallaght is big, so it has a greater total of burglaries compared to somewhere smaller. That in itself is not a valid indicator of the level of burglaries, never mind whether somewhere is the worst place to live in the state. Its like saying Japan is more violent than Talbot St because there are more murders there, it makes no sense.

Amazing that you need to have this basic logic spelled out for you by a lowly Tallaght peasant. Didnt they have schools where you grew up?

• Advertisement

The article is nonsense. Tallaght is big, so it has a greater total of burglaries compared to somewhere smaller. That in itself is not a valid indicator of the level of burglaries, never mind whether somewhere is the worst place to live in the state. Its like saying Japan is more violent than Talbot St because there are more murders there, it makes no sense.

Amazing that you need to have this basic logic spelled out for you by a lowly Tallaght peasant. Didnt they have schools where you grew up?

Why are you referring to yourself as that?

Nowhere in the piece does it say the figures are a per capita representation of the burglary rates. The piece continually refer to the stations where the most burglaries have been recorded with Tallaght topping the list. And also, Tallaght is not the only place in Ireland with a large population.

I see you have a massive inferiority complex about where you're from. Why is that?
    That was sarcasm, you really arent very bright.
    Nowhere in the piece does it say the figures are a per capita representation of the burglary rates. The piece continually refer to the stations where the most burglaries have been recorded with Tallaght topping the list. And also, Tallaght is not the only place in Ireland with a large population.
    Well your basic comprehension skills are functioning. Pity your critical thinking skills arent working along with them.

It seems the Irish times have caught onto the 'baiting the working class' market that Boards.ie peddles so well - flogging newspaper to Irelands depressed, debt-riddled, self-loathing middle classes so they can take a few minutes of self-indulgent fantasy out of their desparate lives to pretend that they are better off than some completely imagined notion of working-class Ireland.

Its a big dollar these days, how much advertising does Boards flog on the back of guys from ballygobackwards talking about 'scumbags' in places theyve never even been.

Mod: User Banned

That was sarcasm, you really arent very bright.

Well your basic comprehension skills are functioning. Pity your critical thinking skills arent working along with them.

It seems the Irish times have caught onto the 'baiting the working class' market that Boards.ie peddles so well - flogging newspaper to Irelands depressed, debt-riddled, self-loathing middle classes so they can take a few minutes of self-indulgent fantasy out of their desparate lives to pretend that they are better off than some completely imagined notion of working-class Ireland.

Its a big dollar these days, how much advertising does Boards flog on the back of guys from ballygobackwards talking about 'scumbags' in places theyve never even been.

Sarcasm? Sounds more like an inferiority complex to me mixed with paranoia.

It must be difficult, always being the victim. Was it The Irish Times that planted two bombs in Tallaght last night, and have been involved in countless shootings over the past few months also? And most of this thread is people recounting how rotten living in Tallaght is. I suppose they're all agents of various newspapers, working off this agenda against the "working class" so more newspapers can be sold. You might want to put that one in the Conspiracy Theories forum,

The article is bollocks, doesn't matter if it's the "paper of record" because the per capita figures are what's important.
    But it doesn't change the fact that Tallaght is still a hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

In reference to people mentioning the multiple amenities in Tallaght and how it seems like there's more here than in their area, I've found from having lived here most of my life that that stuff is irrelevant. From what I see it's solely to do with the families and the environment people are growing up in. What the fcuk use is having gyms and community centres if your parents are heroin addicts and your siblings are always in and out of prison, and perhaps when you're older you'll start to follow in their footsteps because it's what you know.

I'm not trying to rubbish community centres, they can make a difference, but I'm just saying that on the whole scummers tend to come from families of scummers. People who think that Tallaght should be magically okay because it has more amenities than where they're from clearly have a blinkered view of the situation, currently it seems that amenities aren't the problem - it's the influences around the people and the people they're being raised by.

In reference to people mentioning the multiple amenities in Tallaght and how it seems like there's more here than in their area, I've found from having lived here most of my life that that stuff is irrelevant. From what I see it's solely to do with the families and the environment people are growing up in. What the fcuk use is having gyms and community centres if your parents are heroin addicts and your siblings are always in and out of prison, and perhaps when you're older you'll start to follow in their footsteps because it's what you know.

I'm not trying to rubbish community centres, they can make a difference, but I'm just saying that on the whole scummers tend to come from families of scummers. People who think that Tallaght should be magically okay because it has more amenities than where they're from clearly have a blinkered view of the situation, currently it seems that amenities aren't the problem - it's the influences around the people and the people they're being raised by.

Sounds like these people dont want to help themselves, and it's just going to be a vicious cycle for generations to come. No amount of blaming the State or throwing money at the problem will change their mindset. And neither will blaming news media for reporting on fact. These people have an institutionalised culture of lawlessness and dependency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

No, but the headline says "Tallaght is the worst place in the State to live in", which, according to the statistics in the article, it's not. That, in itself, is a misinterpretation of statistics (a deliberate one?) and, effectively, is a lie.

No, it doesn't say "per capita" in the article, that's true. But comparing places without mentioning their sizes, and without mentioning the population-to-Garda-station ratio, is misleading. Unless they live in or have visited the places in the article, readers aren't going to know the background context and they'll assume that the figures are a like-for-like comparison. No-one claimed that Tallaght is the only place with a big population in Ireland, so I don't know why you felt the need to say that.

You've ignored most of the posts in this thread that point out the flaws in the article to you. Several people (including myself) have shown that you're twice as likely to be burgled in Rathfarnham than in Tallaght, for example. I'm starting to think you're one of those people who ignores any facts that challenge their opinions... in which case, my replying to your post is probably pointless, but I'll do it anyway.

No-one is denying that parts of Tallaght are extremely dodgy, but, as a whole, it's not as bad as the Irish Times and your posts are trying to make out. Take a drive around Tallaght (all of it!) some day. Who knows, you might be surprised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

This is the thread that keeps on giving......a crowd of Dubs on Boards.ie arguing over which is the worst sh*thole in Dublin....

Oh I lived in scummertown and was only mugged twice.......I lived in knackervill and my granny was robbed......etc etc..

Must get more popcorn in.....:D

Ronin247 wrote: »
    This is the thread that keeps on giving......a crowd of Dubs on Boards.ie arguing over which is the worst sh*thole in Dublin....

Oh I lived in scummertown and was only mugged twice.......I lived in knackervill and my granny was robbed......etc etc..

Must get more popcorn in.....:D

Lots of people on the thread aren't Dubs. Including me.

• Advertisement

No, but the headline says "Tallaght is the worst place in the State to live in", which, according to the statistics in the article, it's not. That, in itself, is a misinterpretation of statistics (a deliberate one?) and, effectively, is a lie.

No, it doesn't say "per capita" in the article, that's true. But comparing places without mentioning their sizes, and without mentioning the population-to-Garda-station ratio, is misleading. Unless they live in or have visited the places in the article, readers aren't going to know the background context and they'll assume that the figures are a like-for-like comparison. No-one claimed that Tallaght is the only place with a big population in Ireland, so I don't know why you felt the need to say that.

You've ignored most of the posts in this thread that point out the flaws in the article to you. Several people (including myself) have shown that you're twice as likely to be burgled in Rathfarnham than in Tallaght, for example. I'm starting to think you're one of those people who ignores any facts that challenge their opinions... in which case, my replying to your post is probably pointless, but I'll do it anyway.

No-one is denying that parts of Tallaght are extremely dodgy, but, as a whole, it's not as bad as the Irish Times and your posts are trying to make out. Take a drive around Tallaght (all of it!) some day. Who knows, you might be surprised...

I'm afraid Tallaght is the top of the list when it comes to sheer number of burglaries recorded. You are free to interpret or explain the official statistics as you wish - sure who knows, maybe the residents of Tallaght are all angels and it's actually lads driving up from Kerry in the middle of the night doing the robbing. Pointing out that Tallaght's next door neighbour, Rathfarnham, also has major problems is not much of a defence.

And this thing of saying "but there are one or two nice areas in Tallaght" doesn't quite cut it either. It's like arguing that someone with pancreatic cancer is perfectly healthy because his other vital organs are okay. As you said yourself, "no-one here is denying that parts of Tallaght are extremely dodgy. "

The first step to recovery for an alcoholic is admitting there is a problem. I think it's time for Tallaght residents to stop shooting the messenger, and dispel with this head in the sand mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm afraid Tallaght is the top of the list when it comes to sheer number of burglaries recorded. You are free to interpret or explain the official statistics as you wish - sure who knows, maybe the residents of Tallaght are all angels and it's actually lads driving up from Kerry in the middle of the night doing the robbing. Pointing out that Tallaght's next door neighbour, Rathfarnham, also has major problems is not much of a defence.

And this thing of saying "but there are one or two nice areas in Tallaght" doesn't quite cut it either. It's like arguing that someone with pancreatic cancer is perfectly healthy because his other vital organs are okay. As you said yourself, "no-one here is denying that parts of Tallaght are extremely dodgy. "

The first step to recovery for an alcoholic is admitting there is a problem. I think it's time for Tallaght residents to stop shooting the messenger, and dispel with this head in the sand mentality.

You`re so right, it`s like Kabul out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

OP obviously has major issues with Tallaght and people from it.

Either that, or an attention seeker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

This is another thread I have being watching, and the general funk people have on an area, is actually unforgivable, I have lived in Tallaght (close to Ballyboden area), in Dalkey, and Killiney, hung in Blackrock, and Lived 24 yrs in Dun Loaghaire.

Now I live in Bray,

I Never had trouble in any parts of Tallaght/DunLoaghaire or Bray. Where I had trouble is when a jumped up snot thinks he is bigger than me, he would get a shock.

Me and my mates generally want to have a good time and enjoy ourselves. generally that is what happens, And we put them down a peg or two, (verbal shake down), no one gets hurt.

In fairness I seen more crap go down in Dun Loaghaire and Bray, than Tallaght, and I've seen more people looking for more of a fight in Blackrock/Foxrock/Killiney and Dalkey areas

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    This is another thread I have being watching, and the general funk people have on an area, is actually unforgivable, I have lived in Tallaght (close to Ballyboden area), in Dalkey, and Killiney, hung in Blackrock, and Lived 24 yrs in Dun Loaghaire.

Now I live in Bray,

I Never had trouble in any parts of Tallaght/DunLoaghaire or Bray. Where I had trouble is when a jumped up snot thinks he is bigger than me, he would get a shock.

Me and my mates generally want to have a good time and enjoy ourselves. generally that is what happens, And we put them down a peg or two, (verbal shake down), no one gets hurt.

In fairness I seen more crap go down in Dun Loaghaire and Bray, than Tallaght, and I've seen more people looking for more of a fight in Blackrock/Foxrock/Killiney and Dalkey areas

I'm not denying any of that isn't true but .... Have you even been on a night out in the Plaza or Level 4 in the Abberley ? Even just head to McDonalds (All right beside the Garda station) at 3 am on the weekend and you're almost guaranteed a Royal Rumble.

I know of at least two people who got the absolute poo beat out of them in the Plaza. I walked from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock not so long ago at 2 am and there wasn't a soul in sight. No way you could compare those places to the likes of Tallaght or Clondalkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I'm not denying any of that isn't true but .... Have you even been on a night out in the Plaza or Level 4 in the Abberley ? Even just head to McDonalds (All right beside the Garda station) at 3 am on the weekend and you're almost guaranteed a Royal Rumble.

I know of at least two people who got the absolute poo beat out of them in the Plaza. I walked from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock not so long ago at 2 am and there wasn't a soul in sight. No way you could compare those places to the likes of Tallaght or Clondalkin.

Yep I have being there, not in Tallaght, but in in Dun Loaghaire, Paddy's day out side the chipper opposite Walters, on the main street (south end). 1990's

A family who spent more time in jail, than as a family, one of them decided that my "waterboys" cap looked better on his girlfriend, than on me, I got my cap back. The family kicked the crap out of two us, I ran, most of us did, the two guys who got the crap kicked out of the, acted like heros, until I pointed out, when I got the cap back, I shouted "RUN"

I'm not a hero, most of my friends aren't, but Tallaght, isn't considered any better than Dun Laoghaire or Bray or not any worse, or least in the past.

Our you telling me, where everyone thought "scumbags" live has changed.

I really wish people will sort out what town they think is a "scumbag town" before they start throwing around generalistation.

I'm 5 generation DunLoaghaire (125 years), 4 Bray(100 years) and 1 Tallaght (25 years)

And I never fought with anyone, but I have dealt with scumbags (verbally), Tallaght was never as bad as the rest, and I love the beauty in the other two :D

I've also walked into murders scenes both in Bray and Dun Loaghaire, I'm prity sure if you life in an area for a long time you will walk into something like that, well at least most of suburia of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Now I live in Bray,

People’s relativist argument that you can’t condemn Tallaght because Blackrock and DunLaoire have bad areas too kind of ignores the reality of the problems these respective areas face, which is one of scale.

Dublin is kind of unusual as compared to many other capital cities in that it’s deprived areas are often cheek to jowl with very affluent areas (well it is a small city). Two streets over from the grand parade that is O’Connell St. it looks like Mogadishu. Turn right at the top of our premier shopping street of Grafton St. and you’re a short walk from Dolphin’s Barn, which for much of the 80’s was heroin central, which is a bit like taking a right turn off Rodeo Drive in LA and finding yourself in Compton, or finding a Banlieues (slum suburb) at the top of the Champs Elysees in Paris.
    Yes, Blackrock and DunLaoire have a few dodgy areas, but these tend to be small islands of social housing and the social issues that are prevalent there are perhaps more visible because of the ease with which they can spill onto the main street and surrounding areas.
    Large swathes of Tallaght and Ballymun more closely resemble the French Banlieues or American projects, purpose built slums. As for Tallaght, the cluster(funk) of social housing grouped next to each other that is Jobstown, Ferrercairn and Killinarden creates a massive sprawling area that’s blighted by antisocial behavior, crime, violence and social deprivation.
    Though I’d never compare them to the worst no-go areas of Paris and LA, they are equally as incomparable with the small islands of troublesome estates or social housing hotspots in the likes of Blackrock or DunLaoire, and it would be kind of stupid to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The large number of burglaries in Tallaght can be mostly attributed to traveller/former traveller gangs who are somewhat concentrated in the lovely Fettercairn/Mount Seskin/Jobstown area and have the benefit of a lot of backroads and quiet estates through which they can scout for vulnerable properties unhindered.

It also doesn't help that the area is massively understaffed by Gardai. Tallaght has a population of 70,000. It has one Garda station. Limerick City has a population of 90,000. It has four Garda stations. They are comparable in terms of geographic size. There's something wrong there.

It's actually not a case that there are "one or two" nice areas in Tallaght. Most of Tallaght is absolutely fine. Overall it would be slightly lower class than the likes of Terenure or Rathfarnham, but perfectly safe to live and work in. It's only isolated pockets such as Fettercairn and Jobstown which have high concentrations of nth-generation unemployed, petty criminals and family crime gangs.

Yep I have being there, not in Tallaght, but in in Dun Loaghaire, Paddy's day out side the chipper opposite Walters, on the main street (south end). 1990's

A family who spent more time in jail, than as a family, one of them decided that my "waterboys" cap looked better on his girlfriend, than on me, I got my cap back. The family kicked the crap out of two us, I ran, most of us did, the two guys who got the crap kicked out of the, acted like heros, until I pointed out, when I got the cap back, I shouted "RUN"

I'm not a hero, most of my friends aren't, but Tallaght, isn't considered any better than Dun Laoghaire or Bray or not any worse, or least in the past.

Our you telling me, where everyone thought "scumbags" live has changed.

I really wish people will sort out what town they think is a "scumbag town" before they start throwing around generalistation.

And I never fought with anyone, but I have dealt with scumbags (verbally), Tallaght was never as bad as the rest, and I love the beauty in the other two :D

I've also walked into murders scenes both in Bray and Dun Loaghaire, I'm prity sure if you life in an area for a long time you will walk into something like that, well at least most of suburia of Dublin.

Ah now Those area's are fairly quiet now compared to years ago. I was talking more about recent years. I still would rather Bray or Dun Laoghaire over Tallaght when it comes to walking alone at night or going on the piss in.
    I'm 5 generation DunLoaghaire (125 years), 4 Bray(100 years) and 1 Tallaght (25 years)

I'm completely lost here ... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Well done Motorist..... you got 17 pages out of trolling here

more of the same crap u posted here..... invest in bullet proof vests etc etc.... get a life mate

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056600110&page=4

jobless wrote: »
    Well done Motorist..... you got 17 pages out of trolling here

more of the same crap u posted here..... invest in bullet proof vests etc etc.... get a life mate

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056600110&page=4

2 minutes of searching, all separate incidents ....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0411/bank-clerk-shot-at-home-in-tallaght.html - Gardaí investigate shooting of bank clerk at his Tallaght home

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0411/bank-clerk-shot-at-home-in-tallaght.html - Tallaght Shooting Victim Not Intended Target

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-tallaght-shooting-sparks-fears-after-melanie-murder-3018396.html - New Tallaght shooting sparks fears after Melanie murder

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-arrested-in-connection-with-tallaght-shooting-incident-461141.html Man arrested in connection with Tallaght shooting incident

http://www.thejournal.ie/two-men-injured-in-tallaght-shooting-43518-Nov2010/ Two men injured in Tallaght shooting

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1205/tallaght.html - Man stable after Tallaght shooting

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/29yearold-charged-with-2009-tallaght-murder-3186378.html 29-year-old charged with 2009 Tallaght murder 'victim was shot his driveway '

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0821/viable-explosive-made-safe-in-tallaght-dublin.html Four call outs for Army Bomb Disposal Team

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement