Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght - officially worst place to live in the State

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

Ronin247 wrote: »
    This is the thread that keeps on giving......a crowd of Dubs on Boards.ie arguing over which is the worst sh*thole in Dublin....

Oh I lived in scummertown and was only mugged twice.......I lived in knackervill and my granny was robbed......etc etc..

Must get more popcorn in.....:D

Har har but it's not much fun when it's actually happening! It's really frightening if it's actually violent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Motorist wrote: »
    2 minutes of searching, all separate incidents ....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0411/bank-clerk-shot-at-home-in-tallaght.html - Gardaí investigate shooting of bank clerk at his Tallaght home

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0411/bank-clerk-shot-at-home-in-tallaght.html - Tallaght Shooting Victim Not Intended Target

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-tallaght-shooting-sparks-fears-after-melanie-murder-3018396.html - New Tallaght shooting sparks fears after Melanie murder

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-arrested-in-connection-with-tallaght-shooting-incident-461141.html Man arrested in connection with Tallaght shooting incident

http://www.thejournal.ie/two-men-injured-in-tallaght-shooting-43518-Nov2010/ Two men injured in Tallaght shooting

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1205/tallaght.html - Man stable after Tallaght shooting

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/29yearold-charged-with-2009-tallaght-murder-3186378.html 29-year-old charged with 2009 Tallaght murder 'victim was shot his driveway '

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0821/viable-explosive-made-safe-in-tallaght-dublin.html Four call outs for Army Bomb Disposal Team

i must be walking around with my eyes closed then......34 years here and not heard one gun shot or pipe bomb.... a couple of bad areas and you tar the whole place.... have you lived here before?.... you seem to have a serious hard on for the place.... could you not score in the plaza or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

jobless wrote: »
    i must be walking around with my eyes closed then......34 years here and not heard one gun shot or pipe bomb.... a couple of bad areas and you tar the whole place.... have you lived here before?.... you seem to have a serious hard on for the place.... could you not score in the plaza or something?

:pac:

It is a shame the bad parts bring down the area as a whole. I think the area has a lot of decent people. Unfortunately criminality is extremely common, and widely accepted by a significant number of people as the done thing.

Surely you've seen armed gardai there, the army bomb disposal unit, emergency response unit on at least a few occassions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Motorist wrote: »
    :pac:

Surely you've seen armed gardai there, the army bomb disposal unit, emergency response unit on at least a few occassions?

I haven't, ever, and I've lived here my entire life. That's what we're trying to tell you - the place is so big that the bad parts aren't always in walking distance from the rest of it. Cushlawn, for example, is always in the news, but I have absolutely no idea where it is and it's certainly not in walking distance from my house.

It would be nice if the media specified that from time to time...
    And this thing of saying "but there are one or two nice areas in Tallaght" doesn't quite cut it either. It's like arguing that someone with pancreatic cancer is perfectly healthy because his other vital organs are okay. As you said yourself, "no-one here is denying that parts of Tallaght are extremely dodgy. "

That analogy doesn't really hold up. Parts of Tallaght are closer to Rathcoole than they are to other parts of Tallaght. It's like saying that Bray must be dodgy cause Greystones is (I'm not calling either dodgy, btw, just using them as an example because they're of a similar distance). It's easy to use the word Tallaght as a catch-all word, but it includes a huge amount of estates and communities, some of whom never really interact with one another.

Anyway, debating the size of Tallaght isn't really the point. The point is that the statistics in the article do not (as the headline suggests) say that Tallaght is the worst place to live. The size comes into it because they compared it to (much) smaller places - obviously it will look worse if they don't compare on a like-for-like basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Ronin247 wrote: »
    This is the thread that keeps on giving......a crowd of Dubs on Boards.ie arguing over which is the worst sh*thole in Dublin....

Oh I lived in scummertown and was only mugged twice.......I lived in knackervill and my granny was robbed......etc etc..

Must get more popcorn in.....:D

Well anything to keep you're culchie desires away from sheep shagging I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

57.3 % of stats are made up on the spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Ghandee wrote: »
    Bollox!

Tallaght has its good and bad parts, just like any other place in the country.

Name me an area in Ireland, any area, and I bet someone could tell you it has a dodgy part.
    glenageary
    dalkey
    killiney
    go on sure, tell me where the rough parts of thos places are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

mackeire wrote: »
    glenageary
    dalkey
    killiney

To be fair, Glenageary borders Sallynoggin and Dun Laoghaire, both of which have some fairly rough families.Glenageary roundabout is literally right beside Sallynoggin.

Killiney 'proper' is very safe I'll agree. It really depends where you draw the boundaries, it's right beside Ballybrack.

Dalkey doesn't have a rough 'area' but it definately has quite a few hard families knocking about in some of the council houses, some good people (went school with a few of them) but definately a few hard enough heads as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

glenageary
    dalkey
    killiney

All I know is the b**tards that brought this country to it's knees over the last few years were not from Tallaght.
    Some of them may even have been residents of the wonderful areas you mention!

All I know is the b**tards that brought this country to it's knees over the last few years were not from Tallaght.

It was the residents of Tallaght along with every other place in this country that elected an incompetent gombeen government for three successive terms which in turn brought this country onto the rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

The councils,the civil and the government the whole lot of them an inept bunch of idiots,the people on the ground should be voting them out ,theres a saying about state jobs ,you could stand on your head and still not get fired..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

glenageary
    dalkey
    killiney

cromlech fields is in killiney and the ramblers rest is a rough pub. the igo isnt much better tbh
    i knew a girl years ago that worked in roches stores from dalkey. she was as rough as a badgers arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

glenageary
    dalkey
    killiney

All them big gaffs there - those people got them by being honest and working hard.

stoneill wrote: »
    All them big gaffs there - those people got them by being honest and working hard.

Yeah well they certainly didn't get them by sitting on their a$$es sponging off the State claiming every benefit going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

Hrmmm would I prefer to live amongst violent criminals, in Tallaght, or people who made mistakes or bad decisions from positions of power, in Killiney.

What a tough, tough choice, my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

PieForPi wrote: »
    Hrmmm would I prefer to live amongst violent criminals, in Tallaght, or people who made mistakes or bad decisions from positions of power, in Killiney.

What a tough, tough choice, my friend.

Seanie, is that you?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

glenageary
    dalkey
    killiney

cromlech fields is in killiney and the ramblers rest is a rough pub. the igo isnt much better tbh
    i knew a girl years ago that worked in roches stores from dalkey. she was as rough as a badgers arse
    the igo, the ramblers, cromlech fields,, All in ballybrack. but killiney is literally a stones throw away!

the places i mentioned above, dalkey, glenageary and killiney all neighbour so called dodgey places but dont have any dodgy places in them.

Ive never heard anyone telling me to avoid ballinclea heights in killiney or the village gate in dalkey because they're too rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

glenageary
    dalkey
    killiney

There are no drive by shootings in Dalkey.

There are however drive by criticisms

That jacket with those boots ..... I dont think so !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement