Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice from a career guidance teacher

• 20-08-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,

My sister was left very disappointed by the offers she got today missing out on psych nursing by 10 points, I was just wondering does anyone know is it too late for her to apply to any pre nursing PLCs? Any idea of what colleges of further education would be best to apply to? We are in Meath but are very close to Dublin and Kildare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A quick search on Qualifax.ie brings up the following list of centres offering a PLC in Nursing. Best bet is to go through the list and see what suits geographically and then start ringing them.

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15

Course code is DCHSN if you want to narrow it down properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭smallgarden

these do good search for plc courses http://www.careersportal.ie/members/auth/courses/get_plc_courses.php?userid=none&token=none.
    its impossible to tell if there are places available.demand for plc courses are very high and often are filled on first come first served basis with some places having had interviews months ago.id advise to ring around ones that interest her and see if they have spaces. there is also still slim hope of second round offers

also when looking at plcs check what the qualification leads to.qualifax as mentioned above is quite good for showing progression routes.make sure course you pick helps you get onto higher course that she wants. ask the colleges of further education and double check with college she wants to do degree in that it is definitely recognised for progression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

NoelleTh wrote: »
    Hi all,

My sister was left very disappointed by the offers she got today missing out on psych nursing by 10 points, I was just wondering does anyone know is it too late for her to apply to any pre nursing PLCs? Any idea of what colleges of further education would be best to apply to? We are in Meath but are very close to Dublin and Kildare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would guess they are probably booked out for sept 2012. But the points could drop in the second round? If not she could take a year out, apply for pre-nursing sept 2013 and also reapply for cao as maybe points could drop next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I would also advise you to keep an eye for vacant places that may arise on cao.ie

Iona college in Meath runs a pre nursing course too
    Also Cavan institute

Best of luck to your sister. I know what a challenging time this is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I would advise that your sister simply repeat the LC, especially as she only missed out by a few points.

Pre-nursing, while a good option in preparing for nursing, is not a guaranteed direct route into nursing. Every year, each nursing course reserves a very small number (2 or 3) of places for FETAC students. Demand for these places is so high that only someone with full distinctions in their FETAC course is in with a chance and what usually happens is that it goes to random selection. However, if she repeats and gets the points, she is guaranteed a place.

The other place where Pre-nursing comes into its own is with links to Nursing courses in the UK. Some colleges even come over to interview FETAC students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Would she be interested in the UK? Had to go check this out go to ucas.com for clearing. Check out the vacant list for the different types of nursing. Ring the individual universities with vacancies. They'll probably request you to fax through your sisters results. I'm not sure that your sister applied originally to ucas but they will be very accomadating to you and may offer a place to clear their vacancy.

Here's an example of the vacancies available :

Courses with vacancies on ucas :

institution and courses length level type code campus

B25 - Birmingham City University: 0121 331 6777
    Psychology 3 DEG FT C800 -

B80 - University of the West of England, Bristol: 0117 32 83333
    Mental Health Nursing 3 DEG FT B704 G,L

C10 - Canterbury Christ Church University: 01227 540980
    Nursing (Mental Health) 3 DEG FT B760 -

D26 - De Montfort University: 0116 2577000
    Nursing (Mental Health Nursing ) 3 DEG FT B701 Y

S21 - Sheffield Hallam University: 0300 555 0567