Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chocolate biscuit cake/tiffin cake

Options
  • 20-08-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can help me? My friend asked me to make her a chocolate biscuit/ Tiffin cake that her aunt used to make.She doesnt have the receipe. However its not a normal chocolate biscuit cake it has eggs, sugar and butter in it and she said it had a lot of steps in it. I have searched the internet and cant find anything like that. does anyone know a receipe like that or maybe it is called something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

ghartley wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can help me? My friend asked me to make her a chocolate biscuit/ Tiffin cake that her aunt used to make.She doesnt have the receipe. However its not a normal chocolate biscuit cake it has eggs, sugar and butter in it and she said it had a lot of steps in it. I have searched the internet and cant find anything like that. does anyone know a receipe like that or maybe it is called something else?

My granny used to make biscuit cake like that.

You crush the biscuits. Then melt butter, cocoa and sugar over a low heat, add in eggs and cook briefly before pouring over the biscuits and pressing into a swiss roll sized tin. I'd always cover the top with melted chocolate, leave to set overnight and cut into bars.

It makes biscuit cake a whole lot cheaper to make, and it's really nice because it's a little gooey. You can always add your mallows/maltesers etc to it if you want.

I can have a look for the exactly quantities if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

1/4 lb. margerine.
    1 cup sugar.
    1 egg.
    3 heaped tbl. spoons cocoa/drinking choc..
    1 pkt marrietta biscuits.

Melt sugar & marg, add beaten egg, add cocoa, add broken biscuits.
    Put in a bowl to set for 24 hrs.
    All the ingredients can be adjusted to suit your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ghartley

tatumkelly wrote: »
    My granny used to make biscuit cake like that.

You crush the biscuits. Then melt butter, cocoa and sugar over a low heat, add in eggs and cook briefly before pouring over the biscuits and pressing into a swiss roll sized tin. I'd always cover the top with melted chocolate, leave to set overnight and cut into bars.

It makes biscuit cake a whole lot cheaper to make, and it's really nice because it's a little gooey. You can always add your mallows/maltesers etc to it if you want.

I can have a look for the exactly quantities if you like?

Yeah that would be great if you could, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

No problem at all :) Everyone loves this recipe since it's a bit gooey and pretty inexpensive to make in comparison to most of the biscuit cake recipes out there.

1lb biscuits (I usually use a combination of Digestive, Rich Tea and cookies)
    6oz unsalted butter
    6oz caster sugar
    3 tbsp cocoa
    2 eggs
    mallows/crunchies/nuts or whatever else you fancy adding

Line a swiss roll tin with parchment.
    Start by crushing the biscuits in a strong bag with a rolling pin (very therapeutic!) Bash til some are dust, and most are biggish chunks
    Melt butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add sugar and cocoa and stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
    Add in 2 beaten eggs, stir quickly here to make sure you don't have scrambled eggs. Cook over medium heat for 2/3 minutes until you have a smooth glossy chocolate syrup.
    Remove from the heat, and cool for 5ish minutes. (This is only necessary if you're adding mallows or other sweets that may melt from the heat of the syrup)
    Pour syrup into bowl with biscuits (and mallows etc if using), stir quickly until all the biscuits are coated in chocolate syrup.
    Press into lined swiss roll tin.

You can melt some chocolate to pour over the top if you want them to be bar-like when you cut them. 200g of chocolate usually does the trick for covering this size tin.

Enjoy :)

Advertisement