Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Targets in the field

Options
  • 20-08-2012 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Just wondering, what exactly is zeroing. Can I fire a few rounds at 100, then at 200, then at 150 etc to see the results and find out whats the best zero for me.

When I do find my zero (lets say 100yards for arguments sake) can I then take shots at varying distances to work out bullet drop at 150,200,250,300 etc...

Can I go out and make a ballistic card today, and then another one tomorrow because there is a strong wind blowing and my ballistic card needs windage adjustments. What about the following day, can I shoot again that day if its hotter/colder because that too will effect my zero and I need to know this data.

My own interpretation is that so long as Im not shooting a target with hopes of beating a previous score- and so long as its for data collection- its legal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

CAN of WORMS!!!Due to grey law definition of ranges,target shooting and zeroing..:eek:
    At your own cost and risk,but quite possible to do so,if you were having serious technical problems with the rifle as its refusing to hold the zero or whatever.

After EZ's post.
    Technically correct,and as stated best done on a solitary basis.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Short answer no. You cannot do any of that.

People are under the misunderstanding that zeroing is perfectly legal. It's not. There is no allowance for zeroing on lands outside of an authorised range. It is a case that people have been doing it for long enough, and the Gardaí have not enforced it that people believe it's legal.

The fact is target shooting, which zeroing is, can only be done on an authorised range. Now for people not in a range, but need to have their firearm zeroed properly for safety reasons the Gardaí 99% of the time will "turn a blind eye" to any zeroing. This is of course as long as you are only zeroing. By that i mean firing a few shots to get your rifle to hit the "bullseye", and then stop.

Doing what you ask above such as firing multiple shots at multiple targets over numerous distances would be hard to explain as zeroing. Same if you had 3,4, 5+ of your mates doing the same thing wit you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Technically you're not even allowed zero the rifle outside of a range...no allowance for it in law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Ezridax wrote: »
    Short answer no. You cannot do any of that.

People are under the misunderstanding that zeroing is perfectly legal. It's not. There is no allowance for zeroing on lands outside of an authorised range. It is a case that people have been doing it for long enough, and the Gardaí have not enforced it that people believe it's legal.

The fact is target shooting, which zeroing is, can only be done on an authorised range. Now for people not in a range, but need to have their firearm zeroed properly for safety reasons the Gardaí 99% of the time will "turn a blind eye" to any zeroing. This is of course as long as you are only zeroing. By that i mean firing a few shots to get your rifle to hit the "bullseye", and then stop.

Doing what you ask above such as firing multiple shots at multiple targets over numerous distances would be hard to explain as zeroing. Same if you had 3,4, 5+ of your mates doing the same thing wit you.

I was part of that group until I read your post :eek: :eek:

It's a mess to be honest.

What exactly consitutues zeroing has never been fully explained or defined. However the act of shooting at a target makes it target shooting, and as such it must be done on an authorised range.

Now for people with no membership to a range this leaves them in an awkward position. Do they risk it, and hope their gun is on or do they do the minimum amount of "target" shooting on lands they have permission to be on to make sure their rifle is zeroed. While the intention of doing this zeroing is right, and guarantees a safe firearm in the very technical sense they are breaking the law.

However the decision then rests upon the Gardaí to try and charge you for target shooting or realise what you are doing is for everyone's safety. There was a discussion before about allowing people that are not members of a range to use the range facilities for the purpose of zeroing. This in it's basic form is a good idea however it also comes with the potential to be abused.

Ranges are required to record all shooters, both members & guests. If a person "zeros" their rifle 3-5+ times a year they could technically use this usage of a range to apply for firearm that they ordinarily would not be able to apply for. It's a slim chance, and there are more than membership requirements to overcome, but it's a "loophole" non the less.

Frankly it needs looking at, and to be specifically defined, but i fear this will only happen when a test case comes before the courts, and this does not guarantee it will turn out for the shooter. Plus who wants to be the test case.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    CAN of WORMS!!!Due to grey law definition of ranges,target shooting and zeroing..:eek:
    At your own cost and risk,but quite possible to do so,if you were having serious technical problems with the rifle as its refusing to hold the zero or whatever.

After EZ's post.
    Technically correct,and as stated best done on a solitary basis.
    Has there ever been an individual charged for safely Zeroing their hunting rifle on private land ? ....not getting into the rights or wrongs of it ,but it would be interesting to know has their been any cases of this .

None as far as i'm aware of.

The Gardaí seem to exercise a good level of common sense when it comes to zeroing. One lad firing a couple of shots to make his rifle safe may be fine, however numerous lads, firing at various targets set out over different distances would be hard pressed to explain it as zeroing.

I have no idea, nor do i think is there any way to find out, if there is much in the line of people being warned for it.

As has been said though, and without advocating any law breaking, any that is done should be considered, reasonable, and for the purposes of making a firearm safe to use/fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Ezridax wrote: »
    None as far as i'm aware of.

The Gardaí seem to exercise a good level of common sense when it comes to zeroing. One lad firing a couple of shots to make his rifle safe may be fine, however numerous lads, firing at various targets set out over different distances would be hard pressed to explain it as zeroing.

I have no idea, nor do i think is there any way to find out, if there is much in the line of people being warned for it.

As has been said though, and without advocating any law breaking, any that is done should be considered, reasonable, and for the purposes of making a firearm safe to use/fire.

Jesus what a mess!! Did t realise this at all, and ive been doing a bit of zeroing recent as have has provs with my scope and it's a new rifle!

What about a clay shoot, is this legal? Not too much of a difference in a couple of lads practicing in a field with clays agains a couple of lads in the next field doing a bit of target practice!

Makes prep for the hacp kinda tricky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

wexfordman wrote: »
    Jesus what a mess!! Did t realise this at all, and ive been doing a bit of zeroing recent as have has provs with my scope and it's a new rifle!

What about a clay shoot, is this legal? Not too much of a difference in a couple of lads practicing in a field with clays agains a couple of lads in the next field doing a bit of target practice!

Makes prep for the hacp kinda tricky!!

you can do it with clays grand.

There is a huge difference though. A shotgun is been fired up into the air at clays or wherever and doesn't have a long range, You would see the dangers.

There was a picture up here a few months ago of people using a target sat at the edge of a wood, thinking the wood will stop the bullets. They were going straight through out the other side, which could have ended up with the person at the other side been shot, livestock been shot or damage to property, and they didn't consider people walking in the woods either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

garv123 wrote: »
    If you use a shotgun, yeah. If you're shooting them with rifles (and some do, for the whole exploding-target thing), same story as with paper targets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

There is a huge difference though. A shotgun is been fired up into the air at clays or wherever and doesn't have a long range, You would see the dangers.

Yeah, appreciate that, but in theory, also, look at a case such as my own, new rifle, but no legal opportunity to become safe and familiar with the rifle beyond zeroing it!

There was a picture up here a few months ago of people using a target sat at the edge of a wood, thinking the wood will stop the bullets. They were going straight through out the other side, which could have ended up with the person at the other side been shot, livestock been shot or damage to property, and they didn't consider people walking in the woods either.

Funny you should mention that! Was it a metal circular hanging target ? Saw it last night when browsing, and passed it over to a mate and said the exact same thing!! Think it was in the thread hunting rifle group photos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Mike87 wrote: »
    Just wondering, what exactly is zeroing. Can I fire a few rounds at 100, then at 200, then at 150 etc to see the results and find out whats the best zero for me.

When I do find my zero (lets say 100yards for arguments sake) can I then take shots at varying distances to work out bullet drop at 150,200,250,300 etc...

Can I go out and make a ballistic card today, and then another one tomorrow because there is a strong wind blowing and my ballistic card needs windage adjustments. What about the following day, can I shoot again that day if its hotter/colder because that too will effect my zero and I need to know this data.

My own interpretation is that so long as Im not shooting a target with hopes of beating a previous score- and so long as its for data collection- its legal.

So what do you want to know, how to zero your rifle or is it legal to zero your rifle.

I think you got your answer on whether its legal or not. Not that it stops anyone from zeroing their rifles anyway.

Now would anyone care to explain to him how to zero his rifle or is it illegal to do that too.

Now would anyone care to explain to him how to zero his rifle or is it illegal to do that too.

I dunno deeks, would it be more illegal to explain how to do something illegal or to point out the search engine and these threads?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57192217
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54854619
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77953433
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54854259

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Sparks wrote: »

Well you should have put them up 13 posts ago:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Who has asked how to zero a rifle in this thread?

Not so much, no. The OP asked if he *could* zero - he laid out what he wanted to do and asked about the legality.
    Maybe you should have read the OP?

Advertisement