Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIB Wine

Options
  • 20-08-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Would you buy more BIB wine if there were better quality BIB in sell?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

beaugeave wrote: »

Why so interested? Are you selling BIB wines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beaugeave

Why so interested? Are you selling BIB wines?

Hi The Hill Billy,
    How are you?
    No I'm not selling any BIB but I really like wine and I dont understand why there is only one or two BIB to sell in any kind of off Licence.
    I'd love actually being in the wine business!!!
    Do you think there is any markets in BIB?

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yea it's weird.
    I used to work in the hotel business and we were getting the house wine from the suppliers for only €4 the bottle!!
    What kind of profit are they doing in that?!

It all comes down to value for me. I have no objection to buying wine in boxes. I have bought a fair few 3l and 5l boxes in France, the packaging does its job well in any I have bought. Any I have bought have varied in quality from a minimum of being good value for money (even for France) to being very pleasant indeed.

But ...

If you buy a boxed wine, you expect it to be cheap, not just cheaper than an equivalent wine in a bottle, but cheaper than practically all bottled wine. When you buy cheap wine sometimes it is crap. Nobody wants to end up with 5l of crap. Somehow buying a 5l box in France you think "well, if it's good enough for the French" and you'll take a chance - flawed logic I realise, but it worked for me. In Ireland I'd want a preview before I bought 5l of cheap wine for the first time.

The main problem with getting cheap wine in Ireland is that the import duties are fixed per litre (€2.70ish). A mythical 1c valued litre of wine will cost about €3.20 per litre after duty and VAT, before transport, storage, marketing, retailing, spoilage or profit kick in. Proportionately you get more bang for your buck out of a more expensive wine. How the supermarket chains can sell Sancerre and Pouilly Fuisse (even low quality ones) for €7.50 a bottle is beyond me.

Yea it's weird.
    I used to work in the hotel business and we were getting the house wine from the suppliers for only €4 the bottle!!

But I know that supermarkets drop the price of few products event if they make zero profit just to get you in the shop and get out with ten products when you came in just for one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It all comes down to value for me. I have no objection to buying wine in boxes. I have bought a fair few 3l and 5l boxes in France, the packaging does its job well in any I have bought. Any I have bought have varied in quality from a minimum of being good value for money (even for France) to being very pleasant indeed.

But ...

If you buy a boxed wine, you expect it to be cheap, not just cheaper than an equivalent wine in a bottle, but cheaper than practically all bottled wine. When you buy cheap wine sometimes it is crap. Nobody wants to end up with 5l of crap. Somehow buying a 5l box in France you think "well, if it's good enough for the French" and you'll take a chance - flawed logic I realise, but it worked for me. In Ireland I'd want a preview before I bought 5l of cheap wine for the first time.

The main problem with getting cheap wine in Ireland is that the import duties are fixed per litre (€2.70ish). A mythical 1c valued litre of wine will cost about €3.20 per litre after duty and VAT, before transport, storage, marketing, retailing, spoilage or profit kick in. Proportionately you get more bang for your buck out of a more expensive wine. How the supermarket chains can sell Sancerre and Pouilly Fuisse (even low quality ones) for €7.50 a bottle is beyond me.

Yea it's weird.

Economies of scale. Perhaps there is more info here:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/al176e/al176e.pdf

As to why there aren't more high quality wines in bags there are a few reasons:
    1. Doesn't age well.
    2. 3 or 5L is fine for table wine but it is a lot to pay for in one go if it expensive wine.
    3. The cost of packaging is probably fairly low relative to other costs so the saving is minimal.
    4. Possibly not suitable to smaller vineyards ie bottling can be done on a smaller scale.
    5. Tradition is not easy to change.
    6. There is a romance attached to a bottle of wine and people enjoy the sound of the cork, the smell of a newly opened bottle, decanting etc.
    7. For many people it tastes nicer. Whether that is just because they associate boxed wine with poor quality or they can actually taste a difference is neither here nor there. Most people, I'd wager, would prefer the same wine out of a bottlethan out of a box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement