Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Y locked, can't unlock

Options
  • 20-08-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Here's the pitch - I bought a Tesco Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 on Saturday, stuck a SIM into it and all was well with the world. On Sunday my son managed to get the PIN wrong 3 times and lock it. We unlocked it with the PUK, but now it says "Enter password to unlock" and we've entered all passwords without success. He swears blind that he didn't set any password. He did enable the finger-swipe-pattern thing though.

I rang Tesco support and they were unable to fix it, unlock it, or provide any sort of default password. They suggested bringing it back to the shop and getting a replacement. I've a funny feeling I won't be replacing it with another Galaxy Y if this is how easy it is to lock yourself out.

With the SIM in it asks for the PIN and then moves to this password screen. With the SIM out it just goes straight to this pasword screen.

I've done various searches online - for some reason google.com comes back with about a billion makey-uppey pages from a site called askmefast.com which look dubious and make no sense from what I can tell. I've tried searching with -site:askmefast.com included in the search phrase and a handful of pages come back, but nothing definitive.

Some results have suggested using 0000 or 00000000 but these don't work. Some results have indicated that this is a loop you can get into - one guy remote locked his phone using some Samsung tool, but hadn't enabled a password before he did this. As a result no password would unlock his phone following the wipe. I *could* do a factory reset, but to be honest this will only get me so far - I don't want to end up having to do factory resets every few weeks when the phone does this.

So, does anyone know of the magic/default password for these handsets ? Or is it back to the shop this evening to speak sternly to customer service ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I went back to Tesco last night and after a small discussion they agreed to refund the money on the phone. I had the Samsung box, but not the Tesco outer box so they couldn't scan it in and had to look up the barcode. In the end I think the person entered the wrong barcode because she was about to give me €80 more than I paid for the phone.

While I might overlook a small over-repayment of a few €, I reckoned that €80 was pushing my luck a little too much so I told her.

Yes, I did wonder to myself "would they ever have worked out what happened ?" on the way out the door. It's one thing to refund an extra 50c on 5 mushy bananas or a litre of gone off milk by mistake, but €80 on a phone is another thing altogether.

z

Advertisement