Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oskars Pub - Re-Opened

Options
  • 16-08-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Open today at 6 im led to believe ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Oh its open alright and the beer selection is pretty good. I have also heard rumour of whiskey and beer tasting classes in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

fitzeyboy. wrote: »
    whiskey and beer tasting classes

Is that what they're calling them? :D

Nothing like the veneer of respectability gained by doing something in the name of education... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

fricatus wrote: »
    Is that what they're calling them? :D

Nothing like the veneer of respectability gained by doing something in the name of education... :p
    If they are the classes, then it looks like I'm going back to school!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If they are the classes, then it looks like I'm going back to school!! :D

I'd say we could all get some kind of back to education allowance to enable us to attend, could we? :D

Stuck my head in the door on the way past. Food starts tomorrow at noon. Looks like it's been done up well and the central bar has been scaled back massively. Might get in over the weekend and, if not, will probably check out the Man United match there on Monday. Hopefully they'll have all that sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Popped in for some lunch today and was very impressed with the place. I've posted here before that the biggest problem with Oskars of old was its open plan nature that sucked the atmosphere out of the place when not packed. They seem to have remedied all the old problems and it's now comfortably laid out. They seemed to be doing a nice trade for lunch and I wish Flash and everyone else behind the new venture the very best.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Popped in for some lunch today and was very impressed with the place. I've posted here before that the biggest problem with Oskars of old was its open plan nature that sucked the atmosphere out of the place when not packed. They seem to have remedied all the old problems and it's now comfortably laid out. They seemed to be doing a nice trade for lunch and I wish Flash and everyone else behind the new venture the very best.

What was the menu like Adam? And prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Hopefully they'll get some more details up soon of the menu etc

http://www.oskars.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Popped into it myself on Saturday with herself. The menu at the front door was different to the one inside, maybe something to do with the time of the day (6sh). They were very busy so some of the options on the menu were no longer available so we had two Lasanges which were gorgeous. Nice to see a meaty lasagne! A tad bit spicy for me, as I wouldn't be keen on spice. Came with chunky chips, all for €20. Pavolva for dessert was massive, for €5.

Would prefer to see someone take your order rather than going up and ordering though, but maybe I am just lazy.

Very good buzz in there, the match was on (good work on the TVs OP :P) and plenty of people at the bar, ordering food and drinking outside.

Hope it goes well for flash. Good spot, good food, and good service. If it stays at that, I see no reason why it wouldn't continue well.

(PS Split the posts from the original thread, giving it a dedicated thread now that its open) /mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Only problem that I can see is Drink Prices. Folks were used to paying €4 for pints and shorts etc when Oskars was open before. Flash will have his usual town prices and that won't go down well with locals. I'm sure it won't be enough to keep them away though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

Was out there Friday night and really like the place. I like the idea of the 2 floors with upstairs being the more lively spot, down stairs was a bit too quiet for me ;) there was a great mix of people both young and old!!
    To be honest id say it would be a nightmare tryin to do table service in such a busy spot......it was fairly chok-a-block on Sunday when i went out for lunch!!

Hope it does well...............its nice to have somewhere new to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Only problem that I can see is Drink Prices. Folks were used to paying €4 for pints and shorts etc when Oskars was open before. Flash will have his usual town prices and that won't go down well with locals. I'm sure it won't be enough to keep them away though.

You should have called out for a visit over the weekend :)

Prices are not the same as in Rev, most pints around 4euro (3.80 guinness, 3.50 Fosters etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

i live nearly next door to oskars! well done to all involved,good food, love the cocktails, wine, and had to be nearly carred out on sat night. love the dj!, so cute!

jennygirl wrote: »
    i live nearly next door to oskars! well done to all involved,good food, love the cocktails, wine, and had to be nearly carred out on sat night. love the dj!, so cute!

hmmmm *starts to wonder if maybe you were the girl we had to "help" to the chipper after a few too many :D

kryogen wrote: »
    You should have called out for a visit over the weekend :)

Prices are not the same as in Rev, most pints around 4euro (3.80 guinness, 3.50 Fosters etc)

My point is the prices won't be the same as they were. And that can be enough to annoy locals. Although they really couldn't expect them to be the same. Who drinks fosters by the way?!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Your user name should be,Victor Meldrew.

My point is the prices won't be the same as they were. And that can be enough to annoy locals. Although they really couldn't expect them to be the same. Who drinks fosters by the way?!

Younger people mainly :)

I am not sure what the prices were before, but I do know that they are pretty reasonable and like you said, they could hardly expect them to be the same as they were 2,3 years ago surely?

4euro for a pint of Heineken/Bud/Carlsberg etc seems fine no?

Younger people mainly :)

I am not sure what the prices were before, but I do know that they are pretty reasonable and like you said, they could hardly expect them to be the same as they were 2,3 years ago surely?

4euro for a pint of Heineken/Bud/Carlsberg etc seems fine no?

Just to clarify, I wasn't speaking for myself, I was speculating on the regulars that I would have been used to seeing day in and day out.

€4 for pints of Bud/Heineken etc is perfect.

€4 sounds grand to me, to be honest. Didn't make it up there for the match last night as I was wrecked but looking forward to visiting the place soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Just to clarify, I wasn't speaking for myself, I was speculating on the regulars that I would have been used to seeing day in and day out.

Flash will sleep a lot better, now that he has been granted your seal of approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Flash will sleep a lot better, now that he has been granted your seal of approval.

tumblr_lxrkpayxlv1qdox4y.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10 watwag

Abouttobebanned, perhaps you should have found out about the prices were before posting that Flash 'will' have town prices in there. Quite unfair to assume that. 4 for lager, 3.80 for Guinness is reasonable. And plenty of people drink Fosters.

Sigh.

I'm sure flash or one of his staff will be along with a price list soon. I didn't realise he had such a large fan base here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Your user name should be,Victor Meldrew.

seinfeld-George-Costanza-im-out-of-here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-345.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

giles lynchwood / abouttobebanned; Give the bitching between each other a rest please. If you don't like what either posts, there is an ignore function for a reason. Thanks

Ah ffs, although I understand the urge at times its a shame you closed your account D.

Hope to see you back soon though, as someone who actually knows you I know you weren't having a go at Flash and think the smart comments were a bit much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Management at the Uhla and Cove won't be happy to see some more competition in the Grantstown/Dunmore Road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

hinault wrote: »
    Management at the Uhla and Cove won't be happy to see some more competition in the Grantstown/Dunmore Road area.

But its great for the public to have somewhere different to go. The uluru is gone very stale its still a nice place to go but has the same decor for the last 10 years or so. Looking forward to having somewhere else to go on a friday and saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Ah ffs, although I understand the urge at times its a shame you closed your account D.

Hope to see you back soon though, as someone who actually knows you I know you weren't having a go at Flash and think the smart comments were a bit much!

I really don't understand that? Why would you close your account on here?

Off topic I know but it really puzzles me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I really don't understand that? Why would you close your account on here?

Off topic I know but it really puzzles me..

My wife calls it sulking the cheeky cow

Advertisement