Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oskars Pub - Re-Opened

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

wellboytoo wrote: »
    My wife calls it sulking the cheeky cow

I'd tend to agree with her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I really don't understand that? Why would you close your account on here?

Off topic I know but it really puzzles me..

A list of reasons you mean?

1. You spend too much time posting, want to make it more difficult
    2. People can be so ****ing frustrating its better for your health if you stop posting
    3. You have more important things to do and dont need the distraction
    4. You out grow it
    5. You want a different user name
    6. You lost a bet
    7. Well, do I need 7?

Help with the puzzlement?

I mis read that the first time, liked it better that way too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

kryogen wrote: »

I mis read that the first time, liked it better that way too!
    Hens teeth

A list of reasons you mean?

1. You spend too much time posting, want to make it more difficult
    2. People can be so ****ing frustrating its better for your health if you stop posting
    3. You have more important things to do and dont need the distraction
    4. You out grow it
    5. You want a different user name
    6. You lost a bet
    7. Well, do I need 7?

Help with the puzzlement?

Not really, if any of the above was affecting me I'd just stop posting. Some people just like the attention they get when they close their accounts I think, but sure each to their own...:)

• Advertisement

Not really, if any of the above was affecting me I'd just stop posting. Some people just like the attention they get when they close their accounts I think, but sure each to their own...:)

Ah right, you just don't get why someone would actually go to the trouble of closing their account as opposed to just not posting, I think one or two of the reasons I gave in the other post could at least show you why some people would close the account rather then just stop posting.

From my own experience, I know that actually closing my account would be a far better deterrent then just trying to not post. If I needed to stop posting here or felt it was the best thing to do, I would be far more likely to post if I did not need to go to the trouble of setting up an account again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'd agree with a few points kryogen has made. I know from experience that it was better to close my account to stop myself from posting rather than get hit with the banhammer and ruin any chance I'd have of re-registering. I closed an old account around the time boards got very heated during the pro-Waterford v the negativity brigade a good while ago. I got so disillusioned with the whole thing that I just packed it in for the sake of my mental health!

A bit of time away did me the world of good, and I don't take everyone's opinions so seriously now and can actually just enjoy coming on boards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Okay, lets not get into the whole "Why he did it" argument. Its a users own choice. Plenty of people have their own personal reasons to do it. What people are assuming here, despite the way it looks, might not be the way it actually happened. Assumptions can be the mother of all... well you get the rest. :)

So lets move on and not hijack this thread unnecessarily.

Ah right, you just don't get why someone would actually go to the trouble of closing their account as opposed to just not posting, I think one or two of the reasons I gave in the other post could at least show you why some people would close the account rather then just stop posting.

From my own experience, I know that actually closing my account would be a far better deterrent then just trying to not post. If I needed to stop posting here or felt it was the best thing to do, I would be far more likely to post if I did not need to go to the trouble of setting up an account again.

Haha it sounds like you're talking about giving up crack!

I suppose we're just different, if I feel like posting I post, and if I don't I don't, each to their own as I've said..

edit: didn't see that last post there Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ive been living in Oskars since last week.

Only joking.. :p but not far off. I actually like the place more now than I did when it reopened first. Its not as cosy as it could have been but I think theres a lot done with it. It still feels somehow a bit hollow and like tables and chairs in a nightclub but I dont know how that would be solved short of putting carpet in some areas which I supposed isnt really an option. A few people I know hoped that there would be a snug area or an area where it would feel more enclosed and homely.. as in a good place for a chat. The bit behind the bar area ticks that box for me anyway.

The upstairs looks great but I havent been there for a match just yet. I like that theres a few local beers available too. The food is great. Ive eaten there twice and Im only getting used to the idea of ordering at the food area. Its a bit boarding school canteen but Im actually warming to the idea.. food queue... beer queue!..

One older lady remarked to me that she used to go into the old Oskars for a scone and tea every day. I havent seen that kind of option there yet but maybe I missed it. There would need to be something small there for people who are just calling in for half an hour at 11am not looking for a drink or meal.

All in all, its fantastic that its open and busy. I wish Flash and his gang every success with it, and I hope to have the money regularly enough to help it along in my own little way! :D

OH! EDIT...
    Flash if you read this.. Please for the love of GOD get bigger single tea pots!

• Advertisement

Wouldnt say you missed it Trotter, we only started doing Scones/Muffins on Monday :) As you can imagine, still working out a few bits and pieces for the place!

Wouldnt say you missed it Trotter, we only started doing Scones/Muffins on Monday :) As you can imagine, still working out a few bits and pieces for the place!

Scones.. Magnificent.
    Fix those tea pots and you're gonna make that lady happy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

I was in there tonight for the first time, couldn't have been more disappointed with it. Ignorant staff, small portions and very expensive and poor food. I ordered a burger and chips and what I received was laughable, a burger that was quite clearly microwaved on its own on a plate and a small bowl of manky chips on the side - no salad or anything, really poor presentation and the burger was awful. I don't mind paying decent money for good food but €12 for what I got was awful value. The atmosphere in the pub is the same as it was in the old oscars - dead. Absolutely no atmosphere in there at all.

I went to oscars purely to support the place but I'm sorry to say I won't be going back at all. Very disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

wex_lad wrote: »
    I was in there tonight for the first time, couldn't have been more disappointed with it. Ignorant staff, small portions and very expensive and poor food. I ordered a burger and chips and what I received was laughable, a burger that was quite clearly microwaved on its own on a plate and a small bowl of manky chips on the side - no salad or anything, really poor presentation and the burger was awful. I don't mind paying decent money for good food but €12 for what I got was awful value. The atmosphere in the pub is the same as it was in the old oscars - dead. Absolutely no atmosphere in there at all.

I went to oscars purely to support the place but I'm sorry to say I won't be going back at all. Very disappointing to say the least.

Did you complain to the staff? What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ChunkyNorris

Trotter wrote: »
    Flash if you read this.. Please for the love of GOD get bigger single tea pots!

Will be interesting to see where in the country those teapots will be bought :rolleyes:

Will be interesting to see where in the country those teapots will be bought :rolleyes:

I think that would be the opposite of interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

Did you complain to the staff? What did they say?
    No I didn't, the child was itching to get home and myself the wife were going to go back for a drink as her parents stayed on after we left but we didn't bother in the end. I would have raised the issue with a member of staff if I had gone back but I didn't get the chance. I'm working in the area over the next few days so maybe I'll pop in and speak with someone.

I seem to be the only person with a complaint so far on this thread so perhaps we could have caught the place on an off night, but my wife was also less than impressed however my son do enjoy the ice cream.

Im not sure what ya mean tbh..

Regardless I can confirm theres new teapots. I like how a few locals I know have mentioned that their feedback in various ways is getting listened to and acted on so fast. Its the way businesses should work.

Seen as we're on a roll, myself and a few friends went in for a quick fizzy orange last night and we were havin a good chat in the enclosed seating area at the back of the bar. At around 10ish we were just getting set to head off and the lights there went practically off and the place was pitch dark. Way too dark to enjoy a chat. Things were fine beforehand so hopefully they can just leave the lights alone back there. It doesnt need to be so dark in that area behind the bar that you're squinting to talk to someone.

It seems busy most of the time anyway and its a bit of a lift for the area to see it active along with the new Maxol.

Hi there, I work in Oskars and would like to respond to this

Firstly let me say that I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience there and it would be great if you could call in and give me some detail about it, particularly regarding what you thought was ignorant from a staff point of view as feedback of this kind is always welcomed just as much as positive feedback.

What time were you in at if you dont mind me asking? I ask as you say the atmsophere was dead when we were actually packed for the whole night so interested as to what you mean by no atmosphere?

The food? Again I am sorry that you did not like it but I can assure you that neither the burgers nor the chips are microwaved!

It is a shame you did not bring this to me last night first, when maybe something could have been done at the time to improve your experience there, rather then publicly bad mouth the pub on a message board and please, if you are in the area over the weekend pop in to talk to me (ill pm you my name) so I can better understand one or two of your complaints.

Trotter wrote: »
    Im not sure what ya mean tbh..

Regardless I can confirm theres new teapots. I like how a few locals I know have mentioned that their feedback in various ways is getting listened to and acted on so fast. Its the way businesses should work.

Seen as we're on a roll, myself and a few friends went in for a quick fizzy orange last night and we were havin a good chat in the enclosed seating area at the back of the bar. At around 10ish we were just getting set to head off and the lights there went practically off and the place was pitch dark. Way too dark to enjoy a chat. Things were fine beforehand so hopefully they can just leave the lights alone back there. It doesnt need to be so dark in that area behind the bar that you're squinting to talk to someone.

It seems busy most of the time anyway and its a bit of a lift for the area to see it active along with the new Maxol.

:D We are trying to fix that! The lights are all connected at the mo and when we click to turn the lights down a bit for upstairs the ones in the snug go that level also automatically! Sorry about that

• Advertisement

:D We are trying to fix that! The lights are all connected at the mo and when we click to turn the lights down a bit for upstairs the ones in the snug go that level also automatically! Sorry about that

Ah no hassle! Very impressed at the response to feedback! Fair play to you all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeiseDan

Called in today for a burger. Flash, you never fail to impress! Fantastic quality food, & plenty of it, called in out of curiosity, left 100% satisfied. keep up the good work & no doubt Oskars shall prosper for you! one well fed happy customer here to be sure. bigger teapots hmmmmmmm maybe if you have room for tea after the grub! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

was in Oskars last night myself with a few girls. Great food, couldn't finish the bacon and cheese burger, it was massive, and the chips are the best ive had in ages. We shared a pancake for dessert, with ice cream, strawberries and chocolate sauce. The place was packed, great job, congrats to all involved.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Speaking of desserts. Whats the obsession with toffee?! Its on most deserts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Sully wrote: »
    Speaking of desserts. Whats the obsession with toffee?! Its on most deserts!

Nothin' wrong with that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Nothin' wrong with that! :P

Totally agree, its chocolate that's usually on everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I can't help but wonder about the target audience they seem to be aiming at. A few people have mentioned they think it's being geared at younger people but I think because of the location its more likely to do well aiming at the over 30's.

Small things like all the cocktails and shots up the blackboards, no table service for ordering food, etc might put some people off. Also with having the 'sports bar' upstairs there's probably not a need to also have the soccer on all the screens downstairs at the same time.

I imagine young people looking for a night out are more likely to head to town, whereas there are plenty of estates around whose residents would like a nice 'local' to pop in for a few drinks and chat with friends.

Am still delighted to see it back open, have already been in a couple of times and no doubt will be back again. Food I've had thee has been grand, nothing amazing but not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

We popped in last night for a quiet pint at about 21:00. Unfortunately the only tables I could see that were free had food that hadn't been cleared from them yet.

I was about to look around but then my wife asked if we could leave as there was a very strong smell of vinegar which she's sensitive to.

I'm not sure that second bit is a valid complaint in fairness but I wonder are they a bit short-staffed or something as it's rare you'd see a place with dirty plates on tables (there were two or three).

I'll give it another shot by myself soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Good to see WEXLAD back stirring trouble, I remember the classic "I live in Templars Hall and can do whatever i f...ing like rant last year"

Hasnt posted in ages and yet has a big issue when he does and yet Kryogen reckons place was packed all night,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

place was packed - i can vouch for that

Advertisement