Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mag for remington 700

Options
  • 20-08-2012 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,

My remiington 700 (243) is a top loader, which I find it very fiddly, difficult to load past 2 or 3 shots. Does anyone else have similar problems?

Was thinking of sourcing a magazine for it instead, so if anyone knows where I can get one also would appreciate it (pref online)

Regards,
    Eamon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Is it a BDL model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Vegeta wrote: »
    Is it a BDL model?

Hi, its a CDL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

No experience with one myself or where to buy from but if you ring someone like PSE composites or Fergal White then they'd take care of you.

If you google Remington 700 bottom metal you will see there is a lot of choice and varying price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

wexfordman wrote: »
    Hi,

My remiington 700 (243) is a top loader, which I find it very fiddly, difficult to load past 2 or 3 shots. Does anyone else have similar problems?

Was thinking of sourcing a magazine for it instead, so if anyone knows where I can get one also would appreciate it (pref online)

Regards,
    Eamon

I stand to be corrected on this. I dont think a magazine on its own will suffice, you have to get the inserts as well. I think it would cost around 200.00euro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said above you need to change the bottom metal using a conversion kit. You cannot simply buy a mag as the BDL/CDL bottom metal will not allow the use of a mag.

See conversion kits here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Hi,

Regards,
    Eamon

I know what you mean, i have Rem 700 too and im not to fond of the loading system.
    Here is an online option for you .......

Buy this
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-REMINGTON-700-DBM-TRIGGER-GUARD-FLOORPLATE-ACCEPTS-300-WM-AICS-MAGS-/120967990522?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item1c2a410cfa

Then buy a mag of this site to suit your caliber
    http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/accessories.asp

Now get a suitable gunsmith to inlet your stock & fit the mag housing for you.

Wont be cheap - id guess the total cost would be around 300 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Thanks for all the info gents! Looks like its gonna be a pricy alternative!

Might be a bit early in the day to jump into it at that price, I might struggle on and see if I can just get used to the current top loading setup. A friend as a bdl (different cal though), and he finds exactly the same problem, fiddly, and difficult to load.

Even aside from that, I much prefer a mag setup as opposed to the top loading, it seems easier and safer overall, my limited use of the top loading option just doesnt fit well with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Thanks for all the info gents! Looks like its gonna be a pricy alternative!

Might be a bit early in the day to jump into it at that price, I might struggle on and see if I can just get used to the current top loading setup. A friend as a bdl (different cal though), and he finds exactly the same problem, fiddly, and difficult to load.

Even aside from that, I much prefer a mag setup as opposed to the top loading, it seems easier and safer overall, my limited use of the top loading option just doesnt fit well with me!

I've actually grown to like my 700's loading system. I've found that with cold / wet hands, the absence of a separate magazine means one less thing to drop on the ground.

Maybe practice with it for a while & see if your opinion changes.

Advertisement