Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things in movies that really annoy you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Lens flare, the new Star Trek film should have been called The Search for Blindness 'cause there was so much of it! Drives me fcuking mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Steven Seagal slapping someone around for a 20 minute scene to make the movie last longer than an hour, and that person not even looking like he's been slapped around because the budget won't stretch to a bit of red black and blue make-up.

... and the big lump Steven Seagal managing to run after an athletic looking crook and catch up with him without falling to the ground clutching his chest and wheezing his lungs out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

A deus ex machina . Surefire way to ruin a movie (except in Dodgeball, where the ending came in a chest with deus ex machina written on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

spankysue wrote: »
    Lens flare, the new Star Trek film should have been called The Search for Blindness 'cause there was so much of it! Drives me fcuking mental!

You need to see a doctor about that unfortunate condition you have. The new Star Trek film was fantastic.

Colmustard wrote: »
    You need to see a doctor about that unfortunate condition you have. The new Star Trek film was fantastic.

... or report the illegal use of fireworks and incendiary devices in the cinema.

The film itself is brilliant, I loved it, but the lens flare in it drove me twisted. Watch it again now that it's been pointed out and you should see how annoying it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In no particular order:

1) Poor voice audio, Lots of films make some speech incomprehensible

2) Why does every bomb device in films always have a countdown clock?

3) Ben Stiller

4) 99% of romantic comedies

5) Actors with bad accents, just get an actor from the portrayed country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Shia Labouef.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any film shot with a video camera, EG Blair witch, Chronicle, cloverfield.

Cloverfield is a good film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

American flags. I'm looking at you Spiderman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

When someone enters a dark room without trying for a lightswitch. Also when every light in a room has what seems like a 1W bulb, or when they use a torch that has a really concentrated beam that is completely useless. Xfiles was the worst culprit for this

The film itself is brilliant, I loved it, but the lens flare in it drove me twisted. Watch it again now that it's been pointed out and you should see how annoying it is :)

NO you speak heresy and sedition to us trekkies, I am looking forward to the next one, early next year I think. I have to dig out my spock ears again.

But you remind me of something, my hearing is not the best and there are films that ratch up the sound during action sequences. So there I am watching a film in louder then usual volume then the action sequence comes on and I get complaints about the noise of the tele all the way from Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

nemesisdg wrote: »
    1. Flashbacks that show the character experiencing the events. Surely a flashback should be from their point of view only.

2. Annoying child characters added to appeal to the kiddie demographic..........The Phantom Menace.

Ugghh 2012 springs to mind

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

There is always a parking space right outside the building the characters need to visit. Always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Shia Labouef.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Shia Labouef.

Followed closely by Hugh Pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

may be more relevant to tv shows but.....

drinking from a cup that obviously has nothing in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Dean09 wrote: »
    I don't get why any black guy would go on a dangerous mission/ go through a scary place.
    Everyone knows the black guy always dies.
    And the hysterical blonde :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

American flags. I'm looking at you Spiderman.

....? They tend to have the flag displayed far more commonly over there.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    And the hysterical blonde :D

...but not before shes got the boobies out.

And where are the guns? If I heard a noise, I'd get the 12 gauge, not a box of feckin matches....

• Advertisement

Is anyone else getting p-off at the amount of Superhero films. Can they not come up with some other type of blockbuster, in saying that The Avengers and Batman was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

-

Wobbly "documentary" style camera work
    and when the camera angle changes every
    3 seconds to makes things more "exciting".

:mad:

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Any film pretending to be based on a true story, when you know that it feckin isn't.
    Like "The Perfect Storm" where there is an hour and a half of dialogue and action on a fishing boat
    from which there were no survivors.

NO you speak heresy and sedition to us trekkies, I am looking forward to the next one, early next year I think. I have to dig out my spock ears again.

I think you mean you'll have to dig out your Zachary Quinto ears NOT Spock ears. There is only one true Spock and it's not Zachary Quinto, YOU sir are the Star Trek heretic here :p

I think you mean you'll have to dig out your Zachary Quinto ears NOT Spock ears. There is only one true Spock and it's not Zachary Quinto, YOU sir are the Star Trek heretic here :p

But But Spock was in that film. I actually think Zachary or Sylar which he will be forever known was an inspired casting, I have yet to be sold on Kirk, but he is OK.

No offense to Leonard Nimoy but Zachary Quinto was a revelation in that film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Nodin wrote: »
    ....? They tend to have the flag displayed far more commonly over there.

Yeah, not like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dNgF-y7JTA

There seems to be a scene like this in all his movies (I am also aware he is dressed in an American flag)

But But Spock was in that film. I actually think Zachary or Sylar which he will be forever known was an inspired casting, I have yet to be sold on Kirk, but he is OK.

He was mere facsimile of the true Spock

LLAP :D

Yeah, not like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dNgF-y7JTA

There seems to be a scene like this in all his movies (I am also aware he is dressed in an American flag)

Fair enough. They are a flag-wavey lot though.

Didn't remember that, but then again I didn't like the Tobey Maguire ones for some reason - only watched the 1st one.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    No offense to Leonard Nimoy but Zachary Quinto was a revelation in that film

Pah! Zachary Quinto isn't worthy enough of holding Leonard Nimoy's Tricorder :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Shia le Bouf, Renee Zellarseface.

Pah! Zachary Quinto isn't worthy enough of holding Leonard Nimoy's Tricorder :p

Is that a euphamism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Like "The Perfect Storm" where there is an hour and a half of dialogue and action on a fishing boat
    from which there were no survivors.

granted you're right almost all of the scenes on board the boat are fictional, but it is stated in the novel that its half fiction and half taken from interviews and official documentation for example the rescue scenes are well documented as some of the PJs did survive.

i hate the way in in romcoms teh guy always gets the girl, does he ****

oh and unlimited ammo in a gun and the way the bad guys cant shoot for ****

Members of royalty are always very attractive people, when in reality most of them are complete mingers after centuries of in-breeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Faolchu wrote: »
    granted you're right almost all of the scenes on board the boat are fictional, but it is stated in the novel that its half fiction and half taken from interviews and official documentation for example the rescue scenes are well documented as some of the PJs did survive.

i hate the way in in romcoms teh guy always gets the girl, does he ****

oh and unlimited ammo in a gun and the way the bad guys cant shoot for ****
    Like the stormtroopers in Star Wars. Early on Ben Kenobi remarks that the blaster shots on the Jawa crawler are too accurate for Sand People so must have been made by Stormtroopers yet later on they can't hit Luke while he is standing still. This also makes me think that the Sand People must be really terrible shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

when to do an obviously simple thing one idiot needs to be encouraged by other one with some ****ty story which always starts with "When I was 4 years old, my father told me....blah blah blah". And then hes father shouts from the side "Common son, I believe in you" and then "I'm so proud of you". :mad:
    It really leaves with the feeling tha no american can exist in this world if mum or dad isn't proud of him/her. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Stupid romcoms (well all romcoms are complete scutter)

They either star Katherine Heigl, Jennifer Anniston, Kate Hudson and Gerard Butler

They all have names that are obvious to the 'plot'. Like ( I made these up but give them time, Im sure they will be made someday)

She drives me crazy, woman plays uptight driving instructor and client winds her up but they fall for each other with 'hilarious consequences'.

Or Shes out of my League... womans baseball league player and her new coach is a no nonsense kind of guy, can she tame him with you guessed it...hilarious consequences.

Or Katts and Dog FBI agent Det. Katts (played by Gerard Butler Im assuming) investigating some plot to blow up something and his key witness (played by Me Again Aniston) owns a dog that doesnt like him, hilarious consequences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Ultimate fight scene happening- not being shown on screen due to close shot of shia le bouf or whatever his name is

and starscream being killed by a grenade???

I have a lot of problems with transformers 2 and 3

iron man 2 - they sued the poisoning to create a plot device to rell people in then it is solved by an external character in 1 minute despite going on about it for at least an hour - the ultimate product placement for the avengers :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

For me it's in sci-fi movies where the twist at the end is that 'love' somehow defies science and physics to save the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

How an Alien can travel light years away and attempt to invade Earth and be defeated through a virus (they obviously didn't know about Norton, even after developing crazy speeds in space travel)...(btw: Independence day)

After wasting the best part of 2.5 hours watching 2012: the movie, they make it to a modern day Noah's Ark! I was expecting at least a Battlestar Galactica sized space shuttle. I could go on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

When a woman goes into labour and two minutes later gives birth to a squeeky clean 3 month old baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Bad actors/actresses. Which seems to be the majority of them either on TV or in the movies. The ones who just seem to say their lines like they are reading them from a book and have the same facial expression whether they are supposed be angry, happy, sad or indifferent. Nicholas Cage springs to mind.He's painful to watch at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

The seemingly involuntary action of waking up from a nightmare with a sit-up. Nobody does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

the fact that they never have an issue with getting a parking space..

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

No matter how bad a team is or how far into the season they are, a new manager/coach/super star player joining will get them to the playoffs in any American sport.

If its that easy to get to the playoffs why are they celebrated so much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

when twenty somthing year olds pretend there teenagers in school- but american pie is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Night time scenes with the sound of a billion crickets outside.
    Lightening at the same time as thunder in storms. Always.
    Big baguette hangout out of brown shopping bag.
    Car chase enroute to a lovely fruit stall on the kerb full of fleeing pedestrians.
    Always snowing at xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Mentioned to some degree already, but American propaganda, as well as the hero in every film seemingly be able to dodge about 300 bullets and if he does get hit, it's only somewhere relatively minor like the shoulder or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Most gun scenes

Magic magazines with an endless supply of bullets.
    Bullets that don't go through that slim bit of metal someone is hiding behind, empty oil drums, cars, plasterboard walls etc. most of the calibers shot in movies go through most parts of a car like butter.
    That annoying coking sound every time a gun is pointed at something.

For starters.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I hate when the stars are in a restaurant and instead of eating their food they talk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement