Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things in movies that really annoy you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Tonight actually I was looking to go to the flicks, but nothing catches my fancy, Brave is only on in the afternoon.

So Ted or The Bourne legacy 25 hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

maglite wrote: »
    Most gun scenes

Magic magazines with an endless supply of bullets.
    Bullets that don't go through that slim bit of metal someone is hiding behind, empty oil drums, cars, plasterboard walls etc. most of the calibers shot in movies go through most parts of a car like butter.
    That annoying coking sound every time a gun is pointed at something.

For starters.....
    And don't forget the atomic grenades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I hate when they use shortcuts to explain an important part of the story to the audience. Like in Avatar when the bad guy started on his rant to the lady who had worked on the project with him from the beginning.

Something like "Do I have to remind you why we are here, this precious rock blah blah"

I get that they have to explain the background to the viewers but surely there's a more subtle clever way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

When someone says the name of the movie in the movie..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

murpho999 wrote: »
    In no particular order:

1) Poor voice audio, Lots of films make some speech incomprehensibley
    Millers Crossing
    Neyite wrote: »
    There is always a parking space right outside the building the characters need to visit. Always.
    Lovely Jackie Chan scene in one film when he's late to court

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_Evil_Marksmanship

Apply this list to every evil overlord in every film you've ever seen ('cept Hank Scorpio)

http://www.sff.net/paradise/overlord.html ( original on http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html)

If the Hero is using you as a human shield and the Evil Overlord asks you if the Doomsday Weapon is prepared, say "no."

A stock of mysterious old equipment is also useful for chasing off intruders. Studies have shown that most secret agents will flee as soon as a few large and imposing items begin to emit sparks and smoke. An additional "it's about to blow" warning siren will cause more than 90% of international counterintelligence agents to run out the nearest exit without checking to see whether the smoking equipment is part of the evil plot they were trying to foil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wimmin running around with their hair down.

Obviously, it look better. But if I clean, cook, garden, run, swim, fight or do anything that involves sweating or concentration, the hair goes back.

That's how it is, like. Long hair in your face, unworkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hollster2 wrote: »
    when twenty somthing year olds pretend there teenagers in school- but american pie is hilarious

most of the stars of American Pie were around 19 when it was being made so its not that far of a stretch, Tara Reid and Alyson Hannigan were older alright but not by that much, the record for that surely must go to Stockard Channing in Grease, she was 34 playing Rizzo, a supposed 18 year old :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I really hate it when films that are adaptations of books are almost unrecognisable from the book they were based on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

krudler wrote: »
    ...the record for that surely must go to Stockard Channing in Grease, she was 34 playing Rizzo, a supposed 18 year old :pac:

And she looked it, too!

Similarly, when we're supposed to believe that the young enough female star has older kids; Cameron Diaz in My Sister's Keeper being a case in point.

Also, when screenplay writers completely change the ending of a book for the movie adaptation (see above movie) for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement

I really hate it when films that are adaptations of books are almost unrecognisable from the book they were based on.
    Blade Runner was better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

In slasher movies theres always a bimbo, a jock, a girl next door type, a geek and a black guy who always gets bumped off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

You know someone is about to find out they have a terminal illness when they start coughing

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

it always rains at funerals

alarm clocks always go off at silly minutes past the hour like 6.07 - no-one sets their alarm for 6.07

the bomb is always difused with only 3 seconds or less to spare!

nurses are either 20 something and thin and pretty or 50 something and huge mammas with glasses on a chain

the bulb in the basement always blows

there is always a chief of police who's an absolute tool

no one ever stutters or forgets a word, which happens all the time in real life

Diapason wrote: »
    I hate the depiction of computers in films. Even though a huge percentage of the population knows what they're seeing is NOTHING LIKE REALITY, they insist on coming up with some kind of crazy graphical stuff anyway. Swordfish might have been the worst ever.

I'll just leave this here

murpho999 wrote: »
    2) Why does every bomb device in films always have a countdown clock?
    "when do you think the particles in this thing will decay? approx 3 months? LET'S HAVE A TO-THE-SECOND COUNTDOWN TIMER"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Rise of the dark night

that dude who commissioner gardon partner cocks the slide on a gun thats got no rounds in it.... and starts making it look like he's shooting :mad:

FAIL

pookiesboo wrote: »
    In slasher movies theres always a bimbo, a jock, a girl next door type, a geek and a black guy who always gets bumped off first.

watch Cabin In The Woods for a brilliant pisstake of this , its the premise of the movie.

something that bugs the fcuk out of me in movies but its most prevalent in horror movie, the "scary thing that vanishes once its out of frame" cliche. M Night Shyamalanalananan is terrible for this. there's a scene in The Village where someone doesnt realise a creature is there until it steps into shot, makes no sense! just because the audience cant see it doesnt mean the people IN the film can't!

oh, anyone running from a killer/monster/thingy chasing them WILL drop their keys running to the car, they will also bend down to pick them up and stand to find the killer has magically appeared behind them. then they'll drop them again while fumbling for the car ignition. and the keyring will have like a billion keys on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Paris, France

Rome, Italy

London, England

Shanghai, China

Dublin, Ireland

Americans must think we are dumb fukcs

• Advertisement

hiram wrote: »
    Paris, France

Rome, Italy

London, England

Shanghai, China

Dublin, Ireland

no its movie producers who realise a lot of American audiences actually are dumb fcuks. ever wonder why you can see the Eiffel Tower from any window in Paris? I've been there, you can't.

I like when movies like the Bourne films actually trust the audience enough to call out European cities and not have to tell you which country they're in. yay for not pandering to stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I remember when I went to see Lost In Translation (2003, I think, so I must have been about 10) and being disgusted that it had a happy ending, remember saying I would have much rathered a more Carlito's Way style ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

They never close the curtains when it's dark so every weirdo can see right in.

When pouring out tea/coffee they only pour in about an inch.

Zooming in and lingering on a cigarette or ashtray to show how evil smokers are.

I remember when I went to see Lost In Translation (2003, I think, so I must have been about 10) and being disgusted that it had a happy ending, remember saying I would have much rathered a more Carlito's Way style ending!

I am feeling very old right now.

Lost In Translation doesnt really have a happy ending though, more bittersweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't actually get annoyed by the majority of these things anymore, but if a movie tries to let on it's closer to real life I'll pick it apart mercilessly.

Something that really gets on my nerves is more from 'reality tv': when conversations take place that are supposedly shot live but are shot from eleventy different camera angles.

The same logic applies, for example, when our home makeover crew arrives to surprise some family only for the camera to start inside the house as they open the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

krudler wrote: »
    I am feeling very old right now.

Lost In Translation doesnt really have a happy ending though, more bittersweet.

Sorry! :p

Yeah, that's true now you mention it, but I remember being rather disappointed overall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Tom Cruise acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

when all the funny bits were in the trailers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

At the end of a shot when the camera focuses on something like a gun or a knife. You just end up waiting for something to with that to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kincsem wrote: »
    Tom Cruise acting.

... and that box he has to carry around with him when he's playing very tall people like Von Stauffenburg in Valkyrie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Too much CGI :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Nerd always getting the hottest girl.
    I love an underdog story.. not a fairly tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I think I have watched Lord of the Rings: Return of the King around 27 times. Would go as far to say that it was one of my all time favorite movies.

Until it dawned on me, when the eagles came to save frodo at the end. Why didn't they just get the eagles to fly frodo to mordor in the first place?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Feelgood wrote: »
    I think I have watched Lord of the Rings: Return of the King around 27 times. Would go as far to say that it was one of my all time favorite movies.

Until it dawned on me, when the eagles came to save frodo at the end. Why didn't they just get the eagles to fly frodo to mordor in the first place?.

Because they wouldnt have been able to get past its borders when Sauron was in power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

hiram wrote: »
    Paris, France

Rome, Italy

London, England

Shanghai, China

Dublin, Ireland

Yeah it should be pretty obvious they mean it's the capital city of a country, but some people could think "I'm from Paris/Dublin/London/Rome/Shanghai [which is the only one you've listed without locations outside China]; Why are none of these things/landmarks/shops/restaurants here?". You never know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I've been in hundreds of lifts/elevators.

I've NEVER been able to just stop the thing by hitting some button.
    I've never been able to gently prise the doors open with my fingertips.

AND I SURE AS SH!T have NEVER seen any little trapdoor in the ceiling for me to conveniently climb up into.

Also a bomb going off or a bloody petrol tanker detonating and people running and getting tumbled over a mere 15 feet from the inferno with not a scrap of shrapnel in their arses or all their hair burnt off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I hate in movies the bare faced stupidity that goes on. How many films would be over in a few the people in it had normal human common sense.

the good films for me are the adventure ones, where common sense does prevail. Horrors are good for the scare factor but it is like a bunch of stamp licking morons in them that if the had a small sense of the cop the **** on they would be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

MOC88 wrote: »
    Ultimate fight scene happening- not being shown on screen due to close shot of shia le bouf or whatever his name is

and starscream being killed by a grenade???

I have a lot of problems with transformers 2 and 3

iron man 2 - they sued the poisoning to create a plot device to rell people in then it is solved by an external character in 1 minute despite going on about it for at least an hour - the ultimate product placement for the avengers :mad:
    Shockwave, the most powerful transformer of the entire series taken down by a punch from an extra piece of metal over optimus' already metal hand. Biggest issue ive ever ever ever had in a film.
    +batman spoiler
    Also the bat travelling 6 miles in 90 seconds in the new batman film

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

AND I SURE AS SH!T have NEVER seen any little trapdoor in the ceiling for me to conveniently climb up into.

I really did see that somewhere on holiday, and every time I was in that lift I felt like a pussy for not stripping down to my vest and climbing through there to save some sh*t or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Climbing through airvents without them falling off the ceiling or making any kind of noticeable noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

when the actresses wake up with a full makeup on and not a bit smugged just doesnt happen!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

They way they can just hack every computer system by just bashing the keyboard.

when all the funny bits were in the trailers
    That's a good thing especially with trailers that also give the plot away

means you can avoid a lot of crud movies - only sucks if it's a film you were going to see anyway

what's worse is trailers that contain good scenes that were cut from the filum

CGI can be good

poorly done it's a waste of time and money. especially when they don't do gravity right or when they don't do battle scenes (take a bow star wars) right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That's a good thing especially with trailers that also give the plot away

The info that comes up for some of the movie channels has given away a few plots. The film might give it away early or it might just be obvious, but I don't want to be told which actor is playing the evil murderer before it starts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

pookiesboo wrote: »

Not exactly a slasher pic but have you seen Night of the Living Dead?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

You have finally matured when you stop watching movies .Life is'nt like in movies .They are well packaged lies for the foolish and naive .How many over thirty watch movies ????? very few as a few never grow up anyway !!!!

I've been in hundreds of lifts/elevators.

I've NEVER been able to just stop the thing by hitting some button.
    I've never been able to gently prise the doors open with my fingertips.

they stopped putting them in because people kept falling down the shaft - unless there is a fire you are safer in the lift and even then it's debatable
    Also a bomb going off or a bloody petrol tanker detonating and people running and getting tumbled over a mere 15 feet from the inferno with not a scrap of shrapnel in their arses or all their hair burnt off.
    the electric tram exploding in The Rock
    most car crashes where the hero doesn't wear a seat belt and walks away
    people ejecting from aircraft and and walking away (ejector seats are there to save your life, it's the same as driving into a wall while wearing a seat belt)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

paddyandy wrote: »
    You have finally matured when you stop watching movies .Life is'nt like in movies .They are well packaged lies for the foolish and naive .How many over thirty watch movies ????? very few as a few never grow up anyway !!!!

Sigh. You said more or less the same as books. Film can be escapism, art, documentary, social commentary - just like books.

What's next on your killjoy list? Magazines? Newspapers? The internet? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You haven't matured, more like soured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Couples living in giant houses who have an argument and one partner decides to go and sleep on the couch. Surely, if their house was that big they'd have a spare room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Probably been debated a lot in the last 10 - 15 years, no mobile phone reception in horror/slasher movies.
    Probably the worst thing to happen to this genre of movie, the popularity of the mobile phone, how do you legitimately justify the characters not calling for help.

Advertisement