Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things in movies that really annoy you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

They always, always, ALWAYS have perfect signal on their mobile phones! This used to particularly bug me in 24 (tv series) along with the fact they never needed to charge their phones despite using them constantly for a full 24 hours, and they never needed to eat or drink! One of my favourite series, but those thing really irritated me! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

The black/white cop partners and the usually ****e dialog between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

They always, always, ALWAYS have perfect signal on their mobile phones! This used to particularly bug me in 24 (tv series) along with the fact they never needed to charge their phones despite using them constantly for a full 24 hours, and they never needed to eat or drink! One of my favourite series, but those thing really irritated me! :p

AND NOW, Jack Bauer has a cup of soup and wait for his phone to charge!

Beep beep beep beep beep

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

AND NOW, Jack Bauer has a cup of soup and wait for his phone to charge!

Beep beep beep beep beep

Exactly, would have been great TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Anything with Tom Cruise in it. He just annoys me full stop!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Latchy wrote: »
    .in the movie Lord Of War with Nicholas Cage we see

Nicholas Cage is pretty much one of the main things that annoy me in films.
    She looks like a sad turtle.

Are you a friend of Kaiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

The detective is usually just a couple of days from retirement and he reluctantly takes the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Not all but some Zombie films where people camp out in the open and have morals about looting also when someone gets shot there is always a woman screaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

In harry potter when they drink that liquid luck stuff. They then proceed to douge firebolts and end up in the right place the whole time.

why the **** didn't everyone use the stuff :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

old hippy wrote: »
    So for you, it's more about surface quality than depth and actual acting ability?

Yes. To an extent that I found Katie Holmes to be a more realistic love interest than the other one. Acting ability didn't make much of a difference for that role in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Watched Panic Room on Sony TV the other night (nothing else on) and Jodie Foster dials 911 and has the following conversation:

Operator: Hello 911 what is your emergency

Jodie: This is 28 Some Street, New York

Operator: Please hold

That really p1ssed me off, that would never happen not in a million years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well, sitting nice and calm for a good while I can hold it for about 60 seconds maximum. When active, 20-30 seconds and Im gasping. I just think in most situations doing something like that would be impossible. Im not familiar with olympic synch swimming.
    http://seattlesynchro.com/drupal/node/6
    How long can a swimmer stay underwater? In a five minute routine, a synchronized swimmer may spend up to a minute underwater without coming up for air…and as much as 3 ½ minutes cumulative under water. At the same time they are working hard with their arms and legs to suspend themselves in the water, frequently upside down.

Elite level synchronized swimmers can swim more than 75 meters underwater without coming up for air!
    have a look at some vids, look at how much of their bodies they can keep above the surface to give an idea how how much energy they are expending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

heres a few that have bugged me for years

Did Will Hunting actualyy get to see about the girl?
    Did Lloyd dobler stayed in London with Diane Court or did he join teh Army like he intended to?
    How did Veronica explain parts of JD all over the place after an explosion on the front steps to a school?
    and finally
    Did Happy Harry Hardon go to prison when he was arrested by the FCC?

these questions have been going through my head since i was a teenager and i want to know. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Naid23 wrote: »

Tropic Thunder is awesome and he's awesome in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I can't handle when people are in helicopters or close to a helicopter landing pad and they are having conversations as if the helicopter is a very quiet piece of equipment - not a sound out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

2 things always bothered me in certain movies,

in scenes where there is going to be a big gun fight scene e.g westerns there is always a bad guy on the 2nd floor of a building, you just know they are always going to die and always do a big dramatic leap off the building,

the other thing that annoys me is when the hero is fighting 3 or more bad guys that have guns he will fight hand to hand combat, he will usually fight 2 at the one time while the other bad guys just wait until one of their men are down before they will jump in and fight the hero hand to hand, you have a gun just f***ing shoot him,

kill bill for example
    she is surrounded by 100's of bad guys who decide to fight her one at a time, why do they do this just swarm her she has no chance then

Nobody ever locks their car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes. To an extent that I found Katie Holmes to be a more realistic love interest than the other one. Acting ability didn't make much of a difference for that role in fairness.

Are you crazy? Have you seen Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary? Batman would be all over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

When a movie just ends at a random time and we have to decide for ourselves how the story ends. F uck you, if I wanted to make up the end of the story I should make up all of it. Do your job!!

Also, when for no reason whatsoever, they show the ending at the start. Then there's a scene where you'd think someone's dying but you know they won't because they were in the interrogation scene at the start. Also, you know he gets caught. It's spoiling their own movie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Naid23 wrote: »

I know how you feel. However there are notable exceptions.
    Collateral is an awesome film that he's in. Possibly its awesome because unusually, he plays the heartless sociopathic bad guy and that's far more believable then him as the hero in his usual rolls:pac:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369339/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Well, sitting nice and calm for a good while I can hold it for about 60 seconds maximum. When active, 20-30 seconds and Im gasping. I just think in most situations doing something like that would be impossible. Im not familiar with olympic synch swimming.

Only 60 seconds? That's pretty pathetic to be honest. You'd never make a good action star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Don't know if this has been mentioned but when people make arrangements to meet up later when the other party could not possibly know the details of the arrangement. Seen an example in some rom-com only recently.

Guy meeting girl for first time: "Hey wanna go out for dinner sometime?"
    Girl: "Yeah sure, pick me up from my place at 7.30 tonight, ok?"
    Guy: "It's a date. See you later"
    Girl walking off "See you later"

I mean ffs, he just met her. How the fcuk does he know where to pick her up from? For the rest of the movie all I kept thinking was if that was me I would tell her to forget it, dumb b*tch clearly thinks I stalk her or something and still agreed to go out with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Smurph90

How in american tv shows they only drink bottles of water and when someone walks in they hand them a bottle of water. big bang theory, friends etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

leakyboots wrote: »
    Cloverfield is a good film
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Why cant people run in films, horror films in particular, a girl running down the road or through a garden or somewhere always seems to fall over just run you idiot.

Daith wrote: »
    Are you crazy? Have you seen Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary? Batman would be all over that.

Yes I have. She is not very pretty in fairness. She also looks way older than Katie Holmes.

Teenagers in American films who have unreal cars at the age of 17/18, without any apparent income for such a good car.

Actors who play characters that they are clearly too old for. The Spiderman film is a prime example. Andrew Garfield played a 17 year old..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Has anyone mentioned turning computer's off with one button press?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

Lol. Michael Fassbender in a culchie accent.

Michael Fassbender is a culchie btw!

Yes I have. She is not very pretty in fairness. She also looks way older than Katie Holmes.

Yeah this was my problem with it - she looked wayyyyy too old to be Batman's new squeeze after Holmes

• Advertisement

Teenagers in American films who have unreal cars at the age of 17/18, without any apparent income for such a good car.

Pretty normal to see teenagers in America driving unreal cars that Daddy took out a huge loan for.

I went to college there and thought I was seeing things when I saw the student car park full of top of the range SUV's, sports cars like Camaros and even Porches.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Why cant people run in films, horror films in particular, a girl running down the road or through a garden or somewhere always seems to fall over just run you idiot.

Ever see a TV show called the The Day of the Triffids ??

Slow moving 6foot tall alien plants took over the world......:pac:

so bad its good territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Fake Irish accents... Ps I love you being a prime example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

people being chased by cars always run on the road. Why not get on the path, or run through some gardens ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Augmerson wrote: »

and? :confused: my laptop does

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

When asteroids or meteors strike Earth they always hit the major cities.
    Never see one landing in the Sahara 100 miles from the nearest human, which is just as likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Never see one landing in the Sahara 100 miles from the nearest human, which is just as likely.

Or the ocean. Earth is 70% water, yet meteors always seem to only hit Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, India and Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

–Unnecessarily long action sequences

–Overused clichés, i.e. "I've got a bad feeling about this."

–Unprompted sequels

–Overuse of the 360 degrees camera pan. Once or twice, OK. But, in every scene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

That's how I turn my computer off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Do you know what's even more likely? That an asteroid completely misses the Earth. This happens all the time but GUESS WHAT, it's not very dramatic and films are generally FICTION

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Penn wrote: »
    Or the ocean. Earth is 70% water, yet meteors always seem to only hit Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, India and Japan.

Have you seen Deep Impact? Although this was initially a comet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

eskimocat wrote: »
    When the 'victim' walks into their own house late at night and proceeds to walk through several rooms etc, in the pitch darkness passing several light switches on the way!

For heavens sake, in the middle of the night, put on a light, you might stub your toe for crying out loud, it also might come in handy to be able to see the 'serial killer, monster, scary child, ghost, (insert threat here)' etc standing in the corner!!!

Araghhhh!!!!

I do this. It's my house, I could walk though it blindfolded.

It bugs me a little when people are in close proximity to high explosive detonations and if they are not scorched by flames they are fine. They would certainly be deaf for the rest of the film and their insides would probably be pulp.

I probably wouldn't want them to change it though as it's better to suspend believe than to have boring action sequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

Fake Irish accents... Ps I love you being a prime example
    PS I love you is a pile of sh*te full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

krudler wrote: »

Terminator 2. Dyson is doing important research on his computer and then just turns it off. YOU NEED TO POWER DOWN AND SAVE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Terminator 2. Dyson is doing important research on his computer and then just turns it off. YOU NEED TO POWER DOWN AND SAVE.

maybe he invented icloud years back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

maybe he invented icloud years back :pac:
    Or non-volatile RAM...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Colmustard wrote: »
    NO you speak heresy and sedition to us trekkies, I am looking forward to the next one, early next year I think. I have to dig out my spock ears again.

I am a trekkie. I though the general consensus was that ST was **** if you actually liked the franchise, and good if you didnt.
    I hated the way they ruined everything.

Which brings me to my pet peeve. Reboots.
    Yeah some are great - Batman being obvious. But I am tired of not getting new ideas.

I am a trekkie. I though the general consensus was that ST was **** if you actually liked the franchise, and good if you didnt.
    I hated the way they ruined everything.

Which brings me to my pet peeve. Reboots.
    Yeah some are great - Batman being obvious. But I am tired of not getting new ideas.

Good news for you then. There is talk of another batman reboot for 2015 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When the bad guy starts to confess to his victim - you just know he intends to finish off the poor sod - otherwise why would he tell him everything? and when you think about it, the bad guy is gonna kill someone...why is he bothering his backside to confess and explain all?

mathstalk wrote: »
    That's how I turn my computer off.

It's bad for your computers folks. Shut it down properly from now on even if it takes longer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement