Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invoicing a client in Scotland

Options
  • 20-08-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I've a new client who is based in Scotland. I have two questions:
    1. Do I include VAT on the quote?
    2. What rate of VAT should I charge?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Pretty sure irish VAT is 21% or 22% so its your price+VAT unless you previously stated that your price included VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not a simple answer:

You don't charge if you have proof of export of some kind and their VAT reg number. Otherwise you do and they claim back from our Revenue.

Here's some up-to-date info
    http://www.brighton-accountants.com/blog/vat-uk-ireland/
    (mainly from UK to Ireland, but same principle anyway)
    Pretty sure irish VAT is 21% or 22% so its your price+VAT unless you previously stated that your price included VAT

Ahem 23%.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

I actually spoke with the Revenue earlier and they advised to check the client's VAT number here (http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do?selectedLanguage=EN) which I did. The number showed up as valid and therefore I issued an invoice with zero VAT (instructions from revenue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not a Design question, moving to Entrpreneurial & Business Management.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I've a new client who is based in Scotland. I have two questions:

Thank you
    I have one question - are you registered for VAT? If not you cannot charge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

mathepac wrote: »
    I have one question - are you registered for VAT? If not you cannot charge it.

Yes I am registered for VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Yes I am registered for VAT.

Then you are correctly advised, do not charge VAT on the invoice but to keep your records straight for any VAT audit or Revenue queries, always record the UK customer VAT number on each invoice. You will also need to return your non-VAT sales separately on the VAT return form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Also need to fill out VIES returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

srsly78 wrote: »
    Also need to fill out VIES returns.

Spot on! see this link for a full requirements http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/businesses/vies-intrastat-traders-manual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi,

Thank you

What kind of work do you do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement