Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martines or Kai or Rouge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

inisboffin wrote: »
    Dunno what havin a set on is, but if is something to do with sushi I'll take an order!

:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Went to Rouge tonight, lovely meal. Great value and food was very good, 2 and a half courses and 3 glasses of wine for just under €50. The chocolate fondant for dessert is amazing. Got the blue cheese sauce with my steak and it was lovely, flavour was very subtle and not overpowering. Couldnt believe how busy they were too.

As for the spirits/beers drama, the menu lists such drinks as bottled Guinness, Heineken, Leffe etc and Vodka (€5.50), Gin etc. So i guess that means they do offer beer and spirits.

Went to Rouge tonight, lovely meal. Great value and food was very good, 2 and a half courses and 3 glasses of wine for just under €50. The chocolate fondant for dessert is amazing. Got the blue cheese sauce with my steak and it was lovely, flavour was very subtle and not overpowering. Couldnt believe how busy they were too.

As for the spirits/beers drama, the menu lists such drinks as bottled Guinness, Heineken, Leffe etc and Vodka (€5.50), Gin etc. So i guess that means they do offer beer and spirits.

yes they do offer limited beers as I said and the leffe is the "french" style beer that I spoke of. Did you ask for vodka/gin? Plenty in my party have asked for it and it is not available. Unless since they opened the exclusive wine bar across the street recently, they may now sell hard liquor in their first venue - will check that this weekend.

yes they do offer limited beers as I said and the leffe is the "french" style beer that I spoke of. Did you ask for vodka/gin? Plenty in my party have asked for it and it is not available. Unless since they opened the exclusive wine bar across the street recently, they may now sell hard liquor in their first venue - will check that this weekend.
    Not really limited as you can get Guinness and Heineken and at least two more on top of Belgian(not French) Leffe. And i dont see why they would have Vodka listed on their drinks menu if you cant have it, doesnt exactly make any retail sense.

Not really limited as you can get Guinness and Heineken and at least two more on top of Belgian(not French) Leffe. And i dont see why they would have Vodka listed on their drinks menu if you cant have it, doesnt exactly make any retail sense.

did you ask for carlsberg, bud, coors, miller cider - I think I said they offer limited beers ( and in cans only). As for the hard liquor they may have added this since they opened their exclusive wine bar across the road, making the original premises into a fully fledged bar serving hard liquor - simples. :D

Best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

did you ask for carlsberg, bud, coors, miller cider
    Best of both worlds.

Carlsberg, Bud, Coors, Miller....

They offer Hieniken, one brand of tasteless yellow much is plenty of choice if tasteless yellow much is your drink of choice.

They do sell Cider, but it's from Britany, so going by the above taste in beer, you probably wouldn't like it.

I've been in there several times with a few friends and the girl's have got vodka or gin and tonic after our meals, I've also been served a Jameson neat a few times with desert. They also sell brandy neat.

The alcohol choices in Rough are no more "limited" than any other restaurant in Galway.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Carlsberg, Bud, Coors, Miller....

They offer Hieniken, one brand of tasteless yellow much is plenty of choice if tasteless yellow much is your drink of choice.

They do sell Cider, but it's from Britany, so going by the above taste in beer, you probably wouldn't like it.

I've been in there several times with a few friends and the girl's have got vodka or gin and tonic after our meals, I've also been served a Jameson neat a few times with desert. They also sell brandy neat.

The alcohol choices in Rough are no more "limited" than any other restaurant in Galway.

they are seanah, sorry to disappoint you. (providing they haven't changed into a full license bar since they opened the wine bar across the street lately).

As for the limited beers, yes, there are limited beers - and as you well know from your posts in the "beers" section, some people are not into "limited beers" and like their own brand of beer.

Also, going by your post on Creole (where you were commenting on it throughout heresay and you haven't even been in there yet, I would take your "several visits" to rouge with a pinch of salt. LOL (no offense)

they are seanah, sorry to disappoint you. (providing they haven't changed into a full license bar since they opened the wine bar across the street lately).

As for the limited beers, yes, there are limited beers - and as you well know from your posts in the "beers" section, some people are not into "limited beers" and like their own brand of beer.

Also, going by your post on Creole (where you were commenting on it throughout heresay and you haven't even been in there yet, I would take your "several visits" to rouge with a pinch of salt. LOL (no offense)
    Guinness, heineken,Leffe and 2 more does not constitute limited, it offers more than other local restaurants if anything.

Guinness, heineken,Leffe and 2 more does not constitute limited, it offers more than other local restaurants if anything.

I would differ on that. I'll leave you to it. :) as I think if fishy fishy said white, a certain few on here would say black just for the sake of it. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Righto - for the sake of clarity and as Fishy Fishy thinks we're all demented and just arguing for the sake of it ;) ..., i asked a 'at least once a week, sometimes more as she works on Dominic St' friend. She just confirmed that they have indeed been serving 'neat' spirits for ages, and equally that they have also been serving 'cockail of the day'- type specials (gin/vodka/rum) too for well over a year (the new petit rouge only opened in the last couple of months.
    Come to think of it there is a drink special usually on one of the little chalk boards, I usually haven't paid attention as I'd be getting a coffee earlier.

• Advertisement

Righto - for the sake of clarity and as Fishy Fishy thinks we're all demented and just arguing for the sake of it ;) ..., i asked a 'at least once a week, sometimes more as she works on Dominic St' friend. She just confirmed that they have indeed been serving 'neat' spirits for ages, and equally that they have also been serving 'cockail of the day'- type specials (gin/vodka/rum) too for well over a year (the new petit rouge only opened in the last couple of months.
    Come to think of it there is a drink special usually on one of the little chalk boards, I usually haven't paid attention as I'd be getting a coffee earlier.

It doesn't open till six pet.

the "special" is the Kir cocktail - its a pink fizzy drink which is gorgeous. Ask your "friend" inis :D

again, Ill let you, Ben and "Seanah" work it out from here on in. I'd rather go by experience myself, but sure, I'll leave ye to it.

the "special" is the Kir cocktail - its a pink fizzy drink which is gorgeous. Ask your "friend" inis :D

again, Ill let you, Ben and "Seanah" work it out from here on in. I'd rather go by experience myself, but sure, I'll leave ye to it.
    Incredibly childish reaction to posts which dont agree with you, yes i must go meet inisboffin and seaneh now to discuss our new tactics against you. No need to be so precious in your replies.

Looks its simple, they do five beers, thats as many and more than other restaurants such as Cookes, Tulsi, Cava(im fairly sure) and Il Vicolo. They also do spirits, you said they didnt, you were wrong, nobody is ganging up on you, we are just pointing out the truth. End of, or as you would say 'simple'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭dinneenp

FFSake, ye have gone totally off topic........

Incredibly childish reaction to posts which dont agree with you, yes i must go meet inisboffin and seaneh now to discuss our new tactics against you. No need to be so precious in your replies.

Looks its simple, they do five beers, thats as many and more than other restaurants such as Cookes, Tulsi, Cava(im fairly sure) and Il Vicolo. They also do spirits, you said they didnt, you were wrong, nobody is ganging up on you, we are just pointing out the truth. End of, or as you would say 'simple'.

ben if you actually read inisbofins "friends' post who says that they have been "doing spirits for ages" - doesn't that tell you that they did not ALWAYS do spirits - otherwise they would have said "we have ALWAYS done spirits"

Everybody has a different version of what "ages" mean, could be days, weeks, months . in My personal experience as someone who goes into the actual place they have not always done spirits - maybe they do now if they changed their license and moved their WINE license across the street - so I rest my case - its all there in black and white . I suppose you read what you want, posse-style. I'll stick to actual experience (my own).

Definitely resting my case now. Enjoy. :o

WTF are you on about Fishy Fishy? Now I *know* you're the one just arguing for the sake of it. Who the hell said anything about before six for a coffee??? I mentioned I go in earlier (than dinner)!
    You don't have to drink the head off your self the minute the Angelus chimes you know!!!

And no it was a mohito type thing she had last (my friend that somehow needs quote marks said) as she was talking about the mountain of mint leaves in it.
    It really does seem to be you that is trying to argue black as white 'pet'

The staff and owners at Rouge are lovely, and you seem to want to sell it as less than what it is. Although it is a busy place, I feel if stumbled across your comments they mightn't get the full picture of the place, so that's why I was initially clarifying, not because I have ANY set against you. But now it seems you just want an argument so have at it.

WTF are you on about Fishy Fishy? Now I *know* you're the one just arguing for the sake of it. Who the hell said anything about before six for a coffee??? I mentioned I go in earlier (than dinner)!
    You don't have to drink the head off your self the minute the Angelus chimes you know!!!

And no it was a mohito type thing she had last (my friend that somehow needs quote marks said) as she was talking about the mountain of mint leaves in it.
    It really does seem to be you that is trying to argue black as white 'pet'

The staff and owners at Rouge are lovely, and you seem to want to sell it as less than what it is. Although it is a busy place, I feel if stumbled across your comments they mightn't get the full picture of the place, so that's why I was initially clarifying, not because I have ANY set against you. But now it seems you just want an argument so have at it.

no inishbofin I have always sung the praises of rouge if you would like to check my posts - Its my one "staple" restaurant - once every two weeks - on the alternate week I check out other restaurants in the area.

also dinner starts at six. They used not open until 7 but because of demand for dinner they brought it back to 6. I don't know where you are getting your coffee before that, but are you sure it is Rouge.

Yes the staff are fabulous - I do agree.

So no, sorry I don't want to sell it as less than it is - I actually Love the place, but I prefer to deal in personal experience rather than heresay. that doesn't do justice to the place at all.

Now I'm signing off for sure this time as its going round in circles.

Enjoy your early coffees.

The "little chalkboards" on the tables usually have the Names of the person that made the reservation for that table LOL

Also, your friends who says that they have been serving cocktail of the day for "well over a year" must not know that they just celebrated their first anniversary at the end of july this year. they don't do a cocktail of the day, because they are not open during the day.

Enjoy your early coffees.

You're not reading anything except what you want to are you ?

One last time about what early is so...
    They open at six. They serve coffee all night. You can have a coffee any time after that. If you have dinner at 8 or 9 after work, any time before that is 'earlier'.
    I think this is pretty clear. They have chalkboards on the walls and on the tables. Some advertise food/drink/specials, some for reservations.

Sorry for all the off topic lads.
    Hopefully this will attract new custom to Rouge on a fact finding mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And if not, it's been good craic for the rest of us watching!

You're not reading anything except what you want to are you ?

One last time about what early is so...
    They open at six. They serve coffee all night. You can have a coffee any time after that. If you have dinner at 8 or 9 after work, any time before that is 'earlier'.
    I think this is pretty clear. They have chalkboards on the walls and on the tables. Some advertise food/drink specials, some for reservations.

Sorry for all the off topic lads.

again I feel I need to clarify.

They don't do food specials or specialty cocktails inisbofin - it's a simple restaurant - it's steak, fish, or vegetarian. Charcuterie if you just want wine and nibbles (or coffee in your case mmm) When you sit down the waitress/waiter comes over to tell you which type of fish they have that night and which type of vegetarian dish. They don't have food special on a blackboard on the walls - they only have three options and they are explained by the waiter. :p

just to clarify of course. :o

but surely you know all this already, since you go in there constantly.

okay, definitely going now.... its getting too amusing

One horse race now I'd say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

This thread is very amusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

They don't do food specials or specialty cocktails inisbofin - it's a simple restaurant - it's steak, fish, or vegetarian. Charcuterie if you just want wine and nibbles (or coffee in your case mmm) When you sit down the waitress/waiter comes over to tell you which type of fish they have that night and which type of vegetarian dish. They don't have food special on a blackboard on the walls - they only have three options and they are explained by the waiter. :p

just to clarify of course. :o

but surely you know all this already, since you go in there constantly.

okay, definitely going now.... its getting too amusing
    I'm almost certain they were doing a food special when I was there a few eeks ago, I can't remember what it was as I was there for the steak and wine, two things they do very well.

Plus, Rouge having an extensive beer menu is like a seafood restaurant having a steak menu, it's not really what they're after.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If it's amusing ye want...

They don't do food specials or specialty cocktails inisbofin - it's a simple restaurant - it's steak, fish, or vegetarian.

I'm suprised that they get many customers if they have only 1 item on the menu at a time...steak, fish or vegetarian.
    Even if they had all 3- steak, fish AND vegetarian they'd do more business.

(I'm going there in a few weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I copped that too. I think we all copped what was meant though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dinneenp wrote: »
    If it's amusing ye want...

I'm suprised that they get many customers if they have only 1 item on the menu at a time...steak, fish or vegetarian.
    Even if they had all 3- steak, fish AND vegetarian they'd do more business.

(I'm going there in a few weeks).

They only have 3 options.

Fishy should have said Steak, Fish and Vegetarian, not or.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or nothing at all. :D

But that wouldn't have been as entertaining, or got the thread bumped so many times.

Yeah, sure lookit, didn't I get hanged for leaving out a '/'! :D

Let this be a lesson to us all to the horrible consequences of lazy grammar like.:p

Advertisement