Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension for self employed

Options
  • 20-08-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Recently registered as self employed but still trying to get my head around a few certain things. One of them is some sort of pension/retirement fund. At the moment I don't account for something like that but obviously it's something I need to look in to. What are some good options out there for me? If I put x amount in to the fund during the year, can this be written off as a business expense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes the company can contribute as much as it wants to your pension.

Note that you get tax relief on personal contributions also - this is a very big deal. When people say pensions are a "waste of money" this is the bit they are missing.

Regarding pension providers, in my experience they all charge the same management fee - so there isn't much to choose from really.

A good accountant/tax advisor is a must for this stuff.

Advertisement