Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Dog Food Please

• 20-08-2012 2:27pm

Hi Everyone.

I need some advice please.

I have a 10 month old puppy. A cross between a Yorkshire X and a Westie X ( areal mix breed!!)

I have been feeding him Kasko Puppy dry food.

Firstly is it time to change to an adult food?
    If so which one? I dont mind spending money on him just want the best for him.

Secondly....
    I never have fed him "human" food but there has been situations where people have sneaked him scraps from BBQ, dinners etc

Yesterday I gave him the bone from a leg of lamb roast we had. (First time and he absolutely loved it)

What I have noticed after he is fed "tasty" human food is that he wont eat his own food after.

Today for example, after having the lamb bone, he barely looked at his food. I feel he was expecting something tastier.

Is there anything I can do? I hate to think that he is hungry!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Just a note - it is not a good idea to give cooked bones to dogs, they can shatter and cause nasty splinters inside the dogs mouth, stomach etc. This can result in a minor discomfort or major surgery to remove them. Better safe than sorry wink.gif

Dogs are not stupid, if they think they will get someone nicer/tastier etc. they will hold out for it. This can result in them not eating for a few days and often owners give in and give them something nice just to get them to eat. This is a really bad situation to be in - your dog will hold off to get nicer food and you will be stressed thinking the dog isn't eating. Nip it in the bud - do not feed the dog anything else (nothing, no treats (even dog ones) or bits) and only feed two meals per day at set times. Your dog will get the message that there is nothing nicer coming and eat the dog food. Having set meal times (for example, 8am and 8pm) gives your dogs day structure and they are more likely to eat a these times. It may take a day or two but your dog will eventually get hint and eat the dog food. Dogs can go a few days without food without if affecting them badly so try not to worry - it's a matter of wills, if you can hold out a little longer than the dog, they will give in first and eat the food!

On the puppy/adult food - I, personally, switch to adult food around the 6-9 month mark. Some people prefer to wait until the dog is a year but that is their opinion. If you are switching, do it gradually over a week or so - slowing increasing the new food and decreasing the old so eventually your dog is only eating the new food. This will prevent the dog getting an upset belly and let them get a taste for the new food without overwhelming the dog. Some good food brands include James Wellbeloved, Burns, Clinivet, Select Gold, Real Nature, Royal Canin, Pro Pac... the list goes on!

Good luck :)

Thanks for the great reply.

I didnt know that about the bones so I'll stop doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

i feed my dog Hills. at first i thought it was a bit pricey but i have to say you get what you pay for. she has a lovely long shiny coat that never smells (i never wash her well unless she rolls in something) and it is always commented on by fellow dog owners. she doesn't eat that much, its like the food is concentrated. occasionally she is giving the odd treat but everyone deserves a treat now and then, she likes them and i like to see her happy.
    never give your dog food from the table it encourages begging

ps another plus for the hills food is that her stools are good and firm, makes it easier to pick up

Just an update here.....

I began feeding my dog on Royal Canin. He liked it. No complaints from him anyway....but a few people mentioned the % grain in it and that it might not be as good as its price dictated.

Then I heard about Orijen. Yes it is expensive at €5.70 per kg (€76.99 per 13.5kg bag) but my dog simply loves it. I am almost certain that he looks better (shiny coat...more energy) and people have commented on how well he looks. He poos less and they are good and solid.
    He's only been on it now since the start of October and I will defo be keeping him on it.

My maths:
    Orijen is €76.99 per 13.5kg
    RC is €79.80 per 16kg
    Thats not much of a difference in eyes :)

He's on 150g a day so it should last 90 days.....so thats about €6.50 a week.

To see him eat and look so well in my book that is money well spent.

Advertisement