Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend per week on food on average?

• 20-08-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Just an estimate please.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

About a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

notsureifserious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

100 Doll-hairs

pbowenroe wrote: »
    notsureifserious.jpg
    I'm being absolutely serious. Getting the essentials is cheap enough at Lidl. I don't eat out or go to Spar that much because I find it's a lot cheaper to pack my own lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

thanks for that. good to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Anywhere between €20-€40 over a 7-day period.

Would be more but I "liberate" a lot of crap from my parents fridge whenever I'm home. :pac: :pac:

EDIT: But I get "breakfast" (read: roll+coke+taytos) in Spar about once a week, which probably inflates the spend a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Megglet

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm being absolutely serious. Getting the essentials is cheap enough at Lidl. I don't eat out or go to Spar that much because I find it's a lot cheaper to pack my own lunch.

But a week's worth of food on a tenner?
    Even in Lidl that's pretty damn thrifty!

Megglet wrote: »
    But a week's worth of food on a tenner?
    Even in Lidl that's pretty damn thrifty!
    I guess so, but still leaves me with a good bit of food! Just gotta keep an eye out for deals and shop around. 4 cods for 2 euro is never bad though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

With the new manager in the student shop, it will cost much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

30ish maybe depending if i decide to get chickin rolls/4seasons pizza or superdine at any stage.

The butchers beside spar at the main gate do great student deals and their meet is really good. Same as the one up by the lodge beside the petrol station.. There is always a big queue there because of the prices.

If you decide to shop in spar it will cost you a lot more. Raid presses at home every chance you get.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    If you decide to shop in spar it will cost you a lot more. Raid presses at home every chance you get.
    Just realised this is probably why I spend so little. I do tend to rob a bit from home when I'm there, chances are they won't miss it too badly and you'll end up having more for less :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

only spent a €5 one week. Still have no idea how I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

At least €25 and I'll still have no dinner 'til I come home Friday! Also I rob stuff from the parents and shoot during the weekend which might cover my meat for a few days.. depends on how lucky I am :P

At least €25 and I'll still have no dinner 'til I come home Friday! Also I rob stuff from the parents and shoot during the weekend which might cover my meat for a few days.. depends on how lucky I am :P
    Not too long before venison and duck will be on the table :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Believe me garv, nothing better than a game curry! It basically costs nothing anyway and it comes from something that we enjoy, what more could you want. Although the housemates were really baffled one week when I arrived up with a few duck, rabbit and a pheasant. Tbh I think I might freeze some of these pigeons i'm getting now from the decoying that could be money that could be spent on drink.

Believe me garv, nothing better than a game curry! It basically costs nothing anyway and it comes from something that we enjoy, what more could you want. Although the housemates were really baffled one week when I arrived up with a few duck, rabbit and a pheasant. Tbh I think I might freeze some of these pigeons i'm getting now from the decoying that could be money that could be spent on drink.

People dont know what they're missing out on :D Other people eating watery noodles for dinner trying to keep the money for drink.
    lump of roast or a few venison steaks, or as a roast pheasant/duck and still have money left for drink..
    Must stock up on a few wood pigeon myself.

People reading this now thinking ew :D:rolleyes:

Jester252 wrote: »
    only spent a €5 one week. Still have no idea how I did it
    When you're stuck for money you make it happen...lots of 20c noodles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aj47

Speaking of food, I was wondering if there was a place around the university where I can buy a George Foreman grill to cook chicken in? Maybe something like this:

http://foodline.com/images/george-foreman-grill.jpg

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I had a budget of €60 a week, but it almost always worked out at €70 a week for everything (not just food).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

When you're stuck for money you make it happen...lots of 20c noodles!

or my mums food

• Advertisement

Daniel S wrote: »
    I had a budget of €60 a week, but it almost always worked out at €70 a week for everything (not just food).
    Jaysus :O what does that break down to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jaysus :O what does that break down to?
    About €30 in ALDI a week, €6 on about 2 chicken rolls a week, €15 on bus fares, and about €20 on various other things (a trip karting with the motorsport club,a Subway every now and then or stationary etc.). I stayed in Groody so a lot of the time I had to buy food in Spar instead of going home because it just wasn't possible.

Advertisement