Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Marathon Runners

Options
  • 20-08-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether it would be possible to get a list of the shoes worn by the male and female marathon athletes in the Olympics?

Thank you
    Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

My understanding is that at that level , their shoes are custom made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I am pretty sure wilson Kipsang was wearing adidas adios and the winner kiprotich was wearing nike zoom streaks i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Asics certainly do so for the Olympics and I would assume others are custom made as well; at least they are modified versions of their retail shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It was reported that over 400 athletes used nike zoom runners including Mo Farrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

It was reported that over 400 athletes used nike zoom runners including Mo Farrah.
    Must explain why the 5K and 10K were so slow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Think they were called the Nike Volt. A clever marketing ploy by Nike, who were not an official sponsor moving away from team colored shoes and having Nike sponsored athletes wear bright yellow shoes. Seems to have worked!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The customisation of the shoes a lot of the time is just going to be some fancy embroidery. Was having some beers with the Nike guy at the start of the Olympics whose job it was to basically make their elite sponsored athletes feel special and to keep bringing them new shoes. He was off to deliver some new ones to the likes of Paula and Mo the next day. He did say something about what things they had done to the shoes, but they are mostly just standard issue with fancy colours or they take the top of one shoe and fit the sole of another depending on what that athlete wants if they have funny shaped feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

That was track,unreal marketing by Nike.The mens 5k final had everyone but the runner up in adidas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Think they were called the Nike Volt. A clever marketing ploy by Nike, who were not an official sponsor moving away from team colored shoes and having Nike sponsored athletes wear bright yellow shoes. Seems to have worked!

Saw them over there in the nke store and 150 sterling a pair :eek:

Advertisement