Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with lawn

Options
  • 20-08-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

hi all i am looking for some help please. my lawn has lots of yellow in it which i take it is dead grass and moss . has anybody tell me what to do this time of year all help welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Good time of year to get your lawn in shape for next year. Wait for a dry spell so the ground isn't sopping or you'll compact the soil as you work on it. Rake out the yellow bits (thatch) using a spring tine rake, aerate the soil to help drainage (you can use a fork but better would be a hollow tine aerator which would remove plugs of soil) and top dress the lawn sweeping it into the holes as you go (a mix of compost/peat and sharp sand would be good). Sow autumn lawn seed at the same time and water it at night if rain doesnt come until it starts to germinate. Then in late october give it an autumn lawn feed and you'll have a great lawn next year. Watch Aldi and Lidl for autumn lawn seed and also feed over the next few weeks if you're on a tight budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

thanks so much great advice there. the lawn is big enough so it would take a long time with the rake to take up the dead grass would it be to harsh to get one of those machines that take up the dead grass

Not at all. There are electric ones which resemble lawnmowers. Might be worth investing in one alright as you could obviously use it again and again. Lidl do them but not sure if they will come out again this year. Look out for late season deals in the large DIY stores and Argos as they'll be clearing their stock now/soon to make way for the 'C' word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

the lawn is big enough would i be better going with a petrol scarifier. what is the thing called for digging the holes for drainage .your advice is greatfully recieved thanks

Well I have a small garden so I use a manual hollow tine aerator. But you can get powered ones, all up to your own budget really.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/hollow-tine-aerator/hollow_tynepd.aspx

http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/novice/lawn-aeration-equipment/hollow-tine-aerator

I honestly cant advise about electric versus petrol anything .. small garden so I use the old elbow grease myself :) I'm sure someone could advise better on that ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement