Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christian girl with Down syndrome may face death penalty

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

DazMarz wrote: »
    I don't feel persecuted, per sé, but I just find that not being able to voice my own opinion without being put to the sword is a bit off-putting.

So you just want people to accept your view and not question it, while you refuse to accept their view or their answers to your questions?

How does that balance out internally? Or have you given that any thought?

I don't mean to be egotistical, and I don't feel superior.

Well, you may not feel that way but you certainly act it.
    And I have read most of his bibliography and follow his work.

I'm not trying to defeat religion. I just find it hard to fathom how people can still believe in some of the things it claims.

If you had read and understood most of his work then you would understand why people believe the claims of religions and that this "you believe in God you're dumb trolololol I'm so smart I read Dawkins books and even pinched his arse at his last signing *smug smiles and laughs out louds*" approach isn't the way to approach it if you're genuinely interested in seeing a reduction in the numbers claiming membership of these religions.

If I'm an everyday Joe, was brought up Christian and don't really know what I believe, I'm certainly not going to turn around and go "By Christ you're right! I'm a fool! There is no God!" when some uppity little keyboard warrior calls me an idiot for believing what I think I do but amn't sure of and don't really know what else to believe. All you're going to do is piss people off and give the term "atheist" an even ****tier name than it is already gaining thanks to hordes of teenagers carrying on in a similar manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pontia wrote: »
    not a day seems to go by without a stoning or threats to kill someone for drawing a cartoon.if your happy to have that type of intolerence next door to you go ahead.strange any of this stuff is rarely condemmed by the higher ups in their religion

...yeah, they're all the same. I hear if you kick one in the shin they all get a bruise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

not a day seems to go by without a stoning or threats to kill someone for drawing a cartoon.if your happy to have that type of intolerence next door to you go ahead.strange any of this stuff is rarely condemmed by the higher ups in their religion

Not a day? No need for exaggeration then!

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I use sarcasm and hyperbole a lot in my posts, and the "Alive" comment was one such ocassion. It was not meant in seriousness; it was a cynical jab that I made. It doesn't need to be dragged up as much.

O don't worry. Once we've finished getting a laugh out of that one, theres far more nuggets of wisdom of yours to replace it with.

This gets better by the minute...

The most vocal voice of dissent against religion in this thread is branded a bigot (amongst other things) and is decried for not respecting opinions or beliefs of others...

Because you've demonstrated both to be true.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »

Sure thats why they had to get grit in from england during the snow - the muslims had been using all the local stuff for the stonings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

it's dublin speak.....lol...it doesn't actually mean every day.......

Oh, really? Can you link me this weeks stories on Irish muslims making death threats against Irish (or other, for that fact) people?

Go do yourself a favour and google 'Jessica Ahlquist' and have a read of what she's been through over the last year at the hands of her Christian neighbours. Likewise, nobody in the Church has stepped up to condemn the behaviour either.

I think you're way out of your depth here, you clearly haven't much of a clue what you're talking about and amount to nothing more than your common ignorant bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Don't post in this thread again unless it contains links to at least 6 separate incidents of either "a stoning or threats to kill someone for drawing a cartoon", from the past seven days, in Ireland.

/mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Would you have a problem allowing Baptists to build a church? Some of them are getting up to some pretty intolerant stuff - picketing funerals, murdering doctors that kinda thing. Hard to believe Martin Luther King was a Baptist when you read some of the bile spewed by some of his fellow religionists. We should ban them. Ban them all I say!

• Advertisement

I feel a bit let down to be honest. Worked three years with two Muslims, and not a sniff of a stoning or a jihad, let alone a nice juicy fatwa for all my troubles. It's all hype, no trousers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sorry for offence caused by any comments.
    These are my beliefs. These are my convictions. Many of you disagree with them (to put it mildly).
    I see no point in continuing any kind of debate. Good luck.

I feel a bit let down to be honest. Worked three years with two Muslims, and not a sniff of a stoning or a jihad, let alone a nice juicy fatwa for all my troubles. It's all hype, no trousers!

Muslims used to force their foreign food on me just because I'd allow them to hide in my office during Ramadam. I'd give them coffee and they could even smoke if the could manage to hang out the window (pre smoking ban days in the UK) then the ungrateful b*****ds forced the most amazing, homemade, spicey, tasty delicious food on me at lunch time for the rest of the year (hungry now :( )... Ban them I say. Ban them all!

Sorry for offence caused by any comments.
    These are my beliefs. These are my convictions. Many of you disagree with them (to put it mildly).
    I see no point in continuing any kind of debate. Good luck.

Mate, I'm afraid you have leapt to a biteen of an incorrect conclusion there.
    Many of us here are atheists. It's not your views people are having an issue with - it's the fact that you are getting up in people's faces. No body likes that.

C'Mon - someone had to tell him eventually eh Nodin.

The most vocal voice of dissent against religion

Empty vessels make the most noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

gvn wrote: »
    Only sub-human animals would do this to any girl or boy or woman or man, regardless of having or not having a mental disability.
    yup. that's exactly the reaction this type of 'news' is supposed to generate.

viva le Crusade.

(they say Catholic priests sodomise children, but I dont believe it)

burn, them, burn them all!!!

Meh.

no fan of religion, but at least it keeps me in free groceries.

ArtSmart wrote: »

no fan of religion, but at least it keeps me in free groceries.

I have to ask because I am a nosy person - how does religion keep you in free groceries?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have to ask because I am a nosy person - how does religion keep you in free groceries?

It's probably just loaves and fishes. Those get old pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Those monks, that give the frre food, the whatyemecallthem?

lol. no, what i'm saying is that religion has offered some useful benefits, in a world which wants to believe in whatever the strong want. religion has gone against the grain, it has facilitated education, social change etc.

but now, well, it needs to retreat into a corner and consider its future.

this thread isn't a 'isn't religion terrible', it's an isn't Islam terrible' and by default, isn't Christianity the real deal n stuff.

in short, it's propaganda, as old as the hills and just as barren.

It's probably just loaves and fishes. Those get old pretty quickly.

and wafers. Mustn't forget the wafers. And sometimes there is really nasty wine.
    Plus once I got dragged to a Church of Scotland Xmas Eve service and they had tea and cakes and little sandwiches for afterwards.

• Advertisement

Those monks, that give the frre food, the whatyemecallthem?

Hare krishnas. The milk free choclate thing they do is the dogs bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

What a boring circular topic.

"I believe this"

"No, you shouldn't and here's why"

"I still believe it"

"Are you ****ing stupid? You must be"

"No, are you?"

On and on and ****ing on, change the record folks.

Organised religion will continue to die its inevitable death as humanity progresses, but we'll still have something to argue about no matter what.

Let it the **** go and let people believe what they want, whether it's Jewish zombies or the Ninja turtles or nothing at all, if it makes them more comfortable with dealing with life and death then let them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Lads this is a country where women are a sub species, that a family is allowed to kill a girl is she is raped and where the law and religion don't really cross paths, poor girl won't be walking out of there to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Religion, I just don't get it.
    Whatever is the truth of the allegations, anger among the Muslim families in the city’s poor Mehrabad neighbourhood led to many Christians fleeing in fear. It was reported last night that some are now returning.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/pakistan-president-demands-investigation-into-arrest-of-disabled-christian-girl-accused-of-blasphemy-after-burning-pages-of-the-koran-8062984.html?origin=internalSearch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

How's that for religious extremism?:eek:

That is an absolute disgrace!:mad:

I cannot believe that she faces the death penalty over burning a book. At the end of the day, every book (religious or not) is composed of a series of pages bound by a hard back, staples, rings or other means.

How some countries get away with being so barbaric to their citizens in this day and age is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

allibastor wrote: »
    Lads this is a country where women are a sub species, that a family is allowed to kill a girl is she is raped and where the law and religion don't really cross paths, poor girl won't be walking out of there to be honest.
    An extreme generalization, particularly since the current Pakistani Ambassador to Ireland is a woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Pakistan - hell on earth. All organised religion is a fraud. If people want to believe in a God fair enough but **** off and do it in private where it should be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I am surprised this girl was allowed in public,Pakistan are notorious for hiding down syndrome kids in poor house style complexes away from the world.
    She never had a chance in that country,crazy Muslims who fantasise about the perfect child that will show honour to the family and their beliefs or else they will clip them and no questions will be asked.
    Best thing for that girl would be to leave the country and get a western country to sponsor her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Maybe they could turn her into a suicide bomber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

That's an honour in their custom,they wouldn't give it to an infedel which she is clearly branded as now.
    There a great bunch to get a mob out though, no problem burning national flags either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

it's an isn't Islam terrible' and by default, isn't Christianity the real deal n stuff.

how is that the default?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Sappa wrote: »
    That's an honour in their custom,they wouldn't give it to an infedel which she is clearly branded as now.
    There a great bunch to get a mob out though, no problem burning national flags either.

Great money to be made in the American flags in Karachi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

UPDATE:

A religious cleric has been arrested for actually damaging the Koran.
    He supposedly damaged/burned it and planted the pages on the what appears to be an innocent girl, over some gripe he had with the family.

Looks like his head is on the block now!

http://www.thejournal.ie/pakistan-cleric-arrested-in-blasphemy-girl-case-581824-Sep2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

LoL what a clown

Biggins wrote: »
    UPDATE:

A religious cleric has been arrested for actually damaging the Koran.
    He supposedly damaged/burned it and planted the pages on the what appears to be an innocent girl, over some gripe he had with the family.

Looks like his head is on the block now!

http://www.thejournal.ie/pakistan-cleric-arrested-in-blasphemy-girl-case-581824-Sep2012/

Was just reading that on CNN, unreal isnt it??

jesus.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/02/world/asia/pakistan-girl-blasphemy/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LoL what a clown

Some clown all right!

It appears he might have wanted to start a religious bickering/war in the area!

LoL what a clown

Not just a clown, an ass-clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

What a nasty hypocrite. I hope he rots in jail for a very long time, and he better hope so to, as he is no in just as much danger as anyone else, who is accused for desecration of a Koran, except in this case, he seems to not only be guilty, but he essentially tried to get someone else killed, so I have 0 sympathy for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I still blame the down syndrome kid; I'm not sure why but I just do.

Advertisement