Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking around Dooradoyle/Raheen area....

• 20-08-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I used to be an avid walker around the above areas in the evening after work but recently have been slacking off....last night I decided to throw the runners on and head out to get a bit of fresh air....walking down the dooradoyle road, two young boys crossed the road just in front of me and I passed them out...they were no more than 12 or 13...as I walked on a bit further, even though I had ear phones on, one of them remarked "you've got a fat arse"...I kept walking undeterred, presuming I had misheard, I looked back at them but kept walking , then the smartmouth says " yeah, you".....I was so angry at this unprovoked attack I kept on walking, but the incident ruined my walk nonetheless ....reminding me why I hate walking on my own as a woman aroud these areas, I doubt the remark would have been made towards a man or a couple of women....

This is not the first tme I've had nasty comments made either, walking on the Mulcair road , I've had things said to me out car windows, the horn hooted at me as I merrily walk on, all by young teenagers, etc, etc Its enough to make me join a gym or something to avoid this.....I wonder why it is impossible to venture out without having complete stangers feeling the need to do nasty things

Has anyone else received this sort of abuse walking around these areas as they seem very popular with walkers in the evening..????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pay them no heed. They are just young examples of the entitlement generation.

Quick with their mouths to sneer at others in publiuc, but even faster to whinge and cry when they don't get things handed to them.

You keep up with your walking or anything else you enjoy or want to do to better yourself because you have the get up and go to do so. In ten years time those kids will just be 20 something year old wastes of space with superiority complexes despite having nothing to warrant it. Do not let any little mummy's boy put you off your walking or jogging. If you don't like jogging/walking alone, then try to arrange for a few of your friends to walk/jog with you, or maybe see if there are any walking groups in your area (pretty sure there are a few still in the Dooradoyle area)

Have heard a few women in the area make similar comments about what gets said to them when out walking or jogging. Have not had any fired at me within earshot, but then again a 6'3 fairly heavily muscled tattoed guy might not seem as easy a target to the average scrote.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marty_McFly

Don't mind them. I go out running quite a bit and every now and then you get young ones shouting or throwing the odd stone.

Turn up the music and smile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tbh it happens everywhere. I have had comments passed at me too while walking/running in the area, and I am quite tall and fit, they are just degenerate nobodies, that when it comes to looking for a job, you can remember who they are and not hire them...while saying, who's got a fat arse now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

turn up your ear phones and then you will hear nothing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tbh it happens everywhere. I have had comments passed at me too while walking/running in the area, and I am quite tall and fit, they are just degenerate nobodies, that when it comes to looking for a job, you can remember who they are and not hire them...while saying, who's got a fat arse now :D

I'd just like to echo what Derek Zoolander McLovin said - I too am extremely attractive, well over 6 foot tall and really muscular and handsome and I too get comments from these people :D

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    I'd just like to echo what Derek Zoolander McLovin said - I too am extremely attractive, well over 6 foot tall and really muscular and handsome and I too get comments from these people :D

But you are not tall, you are not muscular or even that slim, and are so ugly that you were forced to move out of the area by us beautiful people. :p

I would love to debate it further with you but I have an appointment with a mirror :D

sadly this happens to me to when i go walking :( they ruin your day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

beckman wrote: »
    I was so angry at this unprovoked attack I kept on walking, but the incident ruined my walk nonetheless ....r

Out of order by the youngfellas, but I think calling it an "attack" is over the top in fairness. I used to jog regularly out that way, would have gotten bits and bobs of abuse. Best to suck it up and get on with it..........
    teenagers are teenagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I don't know if I get abuse or not as I always wear bud-type earphones with my MP3 player.

I remember one time close to Halloween I had a banger throwne onto the road about 15 feet from me on St. Nessan's Road, not far from the South Court roundabout. I decided not to give the little sh*ts any attention and continued on running. Later I was passing again and they were doing some explaining to some cops in an unmarked car (they must have been throwing a fair few). Cue me going past with a cheeky grin. :D

seachto7 wrote: »
    Out of order by the youngfellas, but I think calling it an "attack" is over the top in fairness. I used to jog regularly out that way, would have gotten bits and bobs of abuse. Best to suck it up and get on with it..........
    teenagers are teenagers

In fairness verbal abuse from strangers could be quite intimidating to a woman on her own or even a man on his own. It could easily be taken as an unsolicited verbal attack if it made the recipient feel uncomfortable or unsafe in any way.

The OP's post certainly sounds like it made her feel uncomfortable and as such I would regard what happened to her as unprovoked verbal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭beckman

seachto7 wrote: »
    teenagers are teenagers

Attack...abuse...you say potatoe...I say...well you know the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I like to use the comeback "Yeah, I can lose weight but you'll always have a face like a slapped arse!" when dealing with these tools and off I trot back on my jog. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I run all over limerick fairly regularly, and the only place I’ve ever had abuse is in the Dooradoyle/Raheen area. I’ve lived there before (many years ago) and have to say they are lovely areas. I’ve had people randomly cheering me on, skumbags yelling abuse out of cars and other comments. But only in these areas. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

no need to waste money joining a gym.....go to the track in UL and just do your laps, i go out there 5 days a week and its completely free!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I used to get the odd remark out of passing cars but never from people on the street. Dooradoyle/Raheen is a decent area but you'll always have a few toe rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Hey op,

You are most definitely not alone - and I agree with another poster that it seems to be a big problem in Raheen/Dooradoyle.

I have been shouted at out of cars, called a f**kin w**re near Ryan's foodstores, a group of young lads near Fortfield another day fecked a rugby ball very intentionally at me when I was going past them. I just kept the head down and started walking quicker. Another day near Collins bar, a group of young ones were hanging around sitting on the wall, by that new bus stop- on the way up to Glencairn -guys around 13/14/15 years of age. As I approached i straightaway felt intimidated, I turned down the iPod so that at least when I had past them I might know if they were following me or launch something at me- instead no, they started talking loudly, all bravado, in my direction about how I was going to be assaulted by them (in language that I don't even want to type).

So ya, this is a big problem. It's not funny and it goes beyond the normal wolf whistling. It's scary. And I shudder to think of their attitudes to women at their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Once in Corbally I had the “Run Fat Boy Run” said to me, which seems to have replaced “Run Forest Run”, from a kid who thought I couldn’t hear him, talking to his friends. Other than that, outside of Raheen/Dooradoyle, Nothing. And as stated by others, these are not bad areas.
    I guess in the rougher areas people are less inclined to mess up in their own backyards, as they know that a smart comment to someone they don’t know may well end up with punches thrown. Most of the commenters are usually, always as far as my experiences go, surrounded by their peers. If their friends were not there they wouldn’t say a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, these little hard men are very brave when they are in a group but on their own and they would run home crying to mammy if anyone gave them even a dirty look.

Best thing to do is ignore them or not acknowledge they are there, they do it to get a reaction and gain brownie points from their peers. Simple minds and easily amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I lived in dooradoyle for a while, was walking up the dooradoyle road once two young girls in front of me and someone passing in a car threw a half eaten McDonald's burger at the girls and it hit one in the face! I've never seen anything like it before!

Advertisement