Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Ipad charger with e-Cig??

Options
  • 20-08-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

The mother is heading off to Australia next week and I just bought our first e-cigs a few days ago. (The smokegreen kit) I also got a PCC xl from Jacvapour.

She might not have access to a PC at my aunts house over there. However, I have a USB switching adapter for an Ipad with Aussie plug pins that she brought back from OZ with an iPad the last time she was over there earlier this year. 5v output but 2 amps. I know from 12v adapters that one can use an over specified adapter with a given 12v device because the device only pulls the amps/milliamps it needs and that the danger lies not in using an over specified adapter but an underspecified one. ie. a 1 amp device connected to a 500ma adapter would burn out the adapter in a short time.

Does the same apply to usb charging adapters though. ie. Will the e-cig battery and/or the PCC just pull the 2 or 300ma it wants from the 2 amp aussie pin Ipad usb wall adapter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

I have used my iPad mains-to-usb adapter to charge my usb pass-through eGo battery on a number of occasions and haven't noticed any significant heating of the baterry or charger; so it is do-able...

My guess is that the output current is variable as the load demanded by, even an Ipad battery would drop as it reaches capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I use the adapter that came with my phone the whole time, haven't had anything blow up yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well the Pcc XL even has an I device connector port as well as the mini usb port so I figured an iPhone charger was fine. However an iPad charger has a higher amp rating than an iPhone charger. I also knew that in general its fine to use a 12v adapter with a higher amp rating than the device you connect to it because the device only pulls the current it needs. I just wasn't sure whether the same applied to 5v usb chargers. ie. maybe there was something different about the 5v lines in the Computer based usb spec that meant one couldn't apply the same logic as one would with 12v adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

This might be a good source on advice re batteries and chargers

http://batteryuniversity.com/

Advertisement