Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs day thingy 2012

• 20-08-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Now I normally regard the Arthurs day stuff as fodder, but this year I noticed some decent headline acts.

All you facebook heads need to get voting and get Amy MacDonald to play in Limerick for Kess.:D

http://www.guinness.com/en-ie/arthursday/index.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it Bressie at the Milk Market this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Good luck trying to find a guiness drinker on Facebook for starters, let alone a Facebook user who doesn't think Amy MacDonald is too "mainstream" for their taste.

Direct them to this thread and tell them strap on their beats headphones for this belter:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I give Arthurs day a miss, its just a commercial day for Guinness. they can keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Arthur's Day - Ireland's version of Hallmark Day. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If it gets Amy MacDonald to Limerick then Arthurs Day is a great idea.

If not, then it is the crappy wannabe day I think it is every other year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I don't think they have to be guinness drinkers to vote or enjoy the day. I always head somewhere in town for the craic & there's always a good atmosphere.. And I can't stand guinness! Be great for the city to get a big act for the day!

@say_who_now? Not everyone on fb is hipster or would consider things "too mainstream"

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    I don't think they have to be guinness drinkers to vote or enjoy the day. I always head somewhere in town for the craic & there's always a good atmosphere.. And I can't stand guinness! Be great for the city to get a big act for the day!

@say_who_now? Not everyone on fb is hipster or would consider things "too mainstream"

You're absolutely right, my apologies, perhaps it was just a combination of my personal distaste for the way Guinness have forgotten their traditional demographic, combined with the only way to vote being that you have to have an FB account to register your interest.

I'd love to see Amy MacDonald coming to Limerick as I've long time been a fan of her's, and I think a concert like this would be great for the city. Perhaps I'm just bitter because I can't vote and I'm annoyed at guinness' insidious marketing efforts. I would have no problem with this if guinness just sponsored an Amy MacDonald concert in Limerick and be done with it, like any other sponsored concert, but this "Arthur's Day" nonsense? That's what I find insulting is all.

guinness they're brewing nowadays is dirt anyway ever since they were bought out by diageo, but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Good luck trying to find a guiness drinker on Facebook for starters, let alone a Facebook user who doesn't think Amy MacDonald is too "mainstream" for their taste.

Direct them to this thread and tell them strap on their beats headphones for this belter:

That's woeful, she's got a horrible voice, been listening to too much Florence and the Machine, or the other way around.

Is that the best of the names we can expect?

leakyboots wrote: »
    That's woeful, she's got a horrible voice, been listening to too much Florence and the Machine, or the other way around. ?

Interesting you should mention that actually, as both Florence Welch and Amy MacDonald's vocal range has been described as contralto. However Amy MacDonald was around long before Florence and the Machine. I wouldn't have thought their musical styles similar though, but perhaps a one off performance with the german philharmonic orchestra wasn't the best example of her music, and I wouldn't be a Florence fan either!

Erm, quite frankly, in my opinion anyway- yes! But you can have a look at the other artists here for yourself-

http://www.guinness.com/en-ie/arthursday/bandinfo.html

I'd love to see guinness do something like this actually-

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/video-coors-light-peak-rolls-into-limerick-1-2190260

Published on Tuesday 22 September 2009 13:31

LIMERICK Docks was transformed into an outdoor music venue for one night only on Saturday night, as the Coors Light 'Peak' concert drew hundreds of revellers down to the banks of the River Shannon to hear some fine music.

The free concert took place on Steamboat Quay in the shadow of the Clarion Hotel, with large mounds of scrap metal acting as intriguing backdrops.

Local band Walter Mitty and the Realists, along with local DJ Brigadier JC, were selected to fill a much coveted spot on a bill which also included Irish acts Dark Room Notes and R.S.A.G. and UK indie band Reverend and the Makers.

This was the popular Sheffield band's second appearance in Limerick this year and loud-mouth frontman Jon McClure told the crowd Limerick was a "lovely spot".

McClure told the Leader that Limerick is a "lovely kind of cool town" and that he had a "wicked gig".

Kicking off at 6pm on a fine and warm September evening, local rock band Walter Mitty and the Realists were given the opening slot and wowed the crowd with their frenetic Talking Heads-esque brand of rock, playing songs almost exclusively from their very recently locally released debut album, Green Light G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Hell, I actually like Arthurs Day.. Its one of the busiest days of the year for me! Call it... The Photographers Christmas....

• Advertisement

<snip>

That's woeful, she's got a horrible voice, been listening to too much Florence and the Machine, or the other way around.

Leave my little Scottish songbird alone you bully. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

How do u get tickets for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

As far as I gather the idea behind it is to encourage people to go to their local in the hope that one of the headline acts will play there on the night. I know this year there's a voting system but the cynic in me thinks that the pubs where the headliners will play have already been decided and that the voting is just a way of getting people involved/ promoting the night.

I do think there's some good ''smaller'' Irish acts playing around the country but I'd be very surprised if most of the headline acts play outside of Dublin!

Just had a look at the t and c's on the Guinness website and the break-down of headline acts is sorted in the following way:

Central Dublin and within the M50 : 4

Central Cork City and a within a 15 kilometre radius : 2

Central Belfast City and within a 15 kilometre radius : 2

Central Limerick City and within a 15 kilometre radius : 1

Central Galway City and within a 15 kilometre radius :1

Rest of Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland : 1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

StinkySocs wrote: »
    How do u get tickets for it??

No tickets for it this year. Just have to show up in a pub and hope that a headliner plays there as it's not announced until that evening.

Some pubs have info of what Irish bands are playing though if you look up the pub map on the Guinness site.

Advertisement