Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-Op - JobBridge

Options
  • 20-08-2012 5:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering how has JobBridge effected the Co-Op uptake for UL.

I did my Engineering Co-Op in 2004/05 and was paid by my host company. Not a huge amount but it was probably above minimum wage. If I hadn't been paid though I wouldn't have been able to do it. My family home is in Dublin and my Co-Op was in Shannon.

What's the Co-Op situation like now? Are ye still getting paid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I was just wondering how has JobBridge effected the Co-Op uptake for UL.

I did my Engineering Co-Op in 2004/05 and was paid by my host company. Not a huge amount but it was probably above minimum wage. If I hadn't been paid though I wouldn't have been able to do it. My family home is in Dublin and my Co-Op was in Shannon.

What's the Co-Op situation like now? Are ye still getting paid?
    Engineers still get paid alright and we should get minimum wage at least. I think you're allowed to turn down non paid a Co-op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I am in business studies and by the looks of it some people get paid very well or not at all judging by the current co-ops, im due to go in january 2013 and Im worried about it because of the current climate with wages or even job availabilty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cool thanks.

The company I did my Co-Op with were advertising for a JobBridge Intern there recently which was pretty much the same role as what I had with them. It got me thinking whether or not they took Co-Op students any more.

On the wages thing I do remember some people getting a good wage back when I did it and others just getting minimum wage so it looks like nothing has changed there!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Cool thanks.

The company I did my Co-Op with were advertising for a JobBridge Intern there recently which was pretty much the same role as what I had with them. It got me thinking whether or not they took Co-Op students any more.

On the wages thing I do remember some people getting a good wage back when I did it and others just getting minimum wage so it looks like nothing has changed there!

I've heard stories of people with citi bank getting around €600 p/w, I dont know if they are true or not but with that type of money a lot of us could do a very nice masters ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭getonmyhorse

I've heard stories of people with citi bank getting around €600 p/w, I dont know if they are true or not but with that type of money a lot of us could do a very nice masters ha!
    Did that person look like this?
    pinocchio.jpg

• Advertisement

Did that person look like this?
    pinocchio.jpg

Yeah they did they were made of wood with shirts and ties how did you know??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I know people who were working for the Civil Service in Dublin who were on €500 p/w back in 2006 so it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility if it's a reasonable level job in an expensive city.

Cossax wrote: »

I know people who were working for the Civil Service in Dublin who were on €500 p/w back in 2006 so it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility if it's a reasonable level job in an expensive city.

Yeah people have told me that, also when we had a presentation from citi bank they told us that we would be working long hours more than 9-5, sometimes 8-8 still great money if it's true though!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Yeah people have told me that, also when we had a presentation from citi bank they told us that we would be working long hours more than 9-5, sometimes 8-8 still great money if it's true though!

yeah it is true. My friend from dcu did it and he said there was loads of people from UL doing the same thing. Its to do with corporate finance though.

Trader1991 wrote: »

yeah it is true. My friend from dcu did it and he said there was loads of people from UL doing the same thing. Its to do with corporate finance though.

Might have to re think my international co-op so ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jamlad

I am an Mechanical Engineering student currently on Co-op and i get 10.35 an hour and work a 39 hour week, plus optional overtime at a rate of time and a half!

Jamlad wrote: »
    I am an Mechanical Engineering student currently on Co-op and i get 10.35 an hour and work a 39 hour week, plus optional overtime at a rate of time and a half!
    Do you mind me asking where and what's your QCA? PM would probably be best if you don't want to announce it ;). I'm doing Mech also and I'll be on coop next year. Also was your interview for the job after Christmas or before it? My QCA isn't the greatest but will be much better after the coming semester.

Oh right, back in the height of the boom working in the public sector on 500 p/w. And you think that a private company in this day and age, and the times were going through, is going to pay 600 a week for someone with no experience or qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Oh right, back in the height of the boom working in the public sector on 500 p/w. And you think that a private company in this day and age, and the times were going through, is going to pay 600 a week for someone with no experience or qualification?

A bank might, yes. :rolleyes:

A bank might, yes. :rolleyes:
    I cant argue with someone who's this ignorant

Daniel S wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where and what's your QCA? PM would probably be best if you don't want to announce it ;). I'm doing Mech also and I'll be on coop next year. Also was your interview for the job after Christmas or before it? My QCA isn't the greatest but will be much better after the coming semester.

My QCA in first year was 3.78 and then 3.48 in the first semester of second year. we had to do out our CV's on the ul portal at the start'ish of second year and then the interviews were around xmas, mine was after. I had three. some people dont get their interview till late enough but from what i saw everyone gets a placement ! my friend got a placement in valeo in tuam and he's paid 9 an hr which i consider good as thats around what all my other jobs paid me (part time bar and restaurant work). his QCA isnt great either but hes improving it. I feel though its not about QCA really.. as long as you can addapt and learn to new things. Im a mechanical engineer but im in the Environmental Health and safety department in Boston Scientfic in clonmel and i havent done one thing really related to my course. They have sent me for trainging and stuff in dublin and have their own training procedures. I have another friend, his QCA was near 4, he got an interview for Abott in clonmel and didnt get it, and a person with a much lower QCA did. If you got a good CV, and do a good interview, and your QCA isnt at a reterded level, then you'll get on good !

My QCA in first year was 3.78 and then 3.48 in the first semester of second year. we had to do out our CV's on the ul portal at the start'ish of second year and then the interviews were around xmas, mine was after. I had three. some people dont get their interview till late enough but from what i saw everyone gets a placement ! my friend got a placement in valeo in tuam and he's paid 9 an hr which i consider good as thats around what all my other jobs paid me (part time bar and restaurant work). his QCA isnt great either but hes improving it. I feel though its not about QCA really.. as long as you can addapt and learn to new things. Im a mechanical engineer but im in the Environmental Health and safety department in Boston Scientfic in clonmel and i havent done one thing really related to my course. They have sent me for trainging and stuff in dublin and have their own training procedures. I have another friend, his QCA was near 4, he got an interview for Abott in clonmel and didnt get it, and a person with a much lower QCA did. If you got a good CV, and do a good interview, and your QCA isnt at a reterded level, then you'll get on good !
    My QCA is a good bit off that (miserable first semester), but we're the worst year ever so maybe I won't be too bad in comparison. I should have it over three by then end of the next semester. I've a pretty decent CV and some 4 months work in an engineering company basically doing engineering and CAD. I'd like Valeo as it's car related but it's probably a bit to far from me (an hour and a half). Clonmel is almost 2 hours away so I'd say it will have to be in Clare or Limerick (unless I get accomodation nearby).

My QCA is a good bit off that (miserable first semester), but we're the worst year ever so maybe I won't be too bad in comparison. I should have it over three by then end of the next semester. I've a pretty decent CV and some 4 months work in an engineering company basically doing engineering and CAD. I'd like Valeo as it's car related but it's probably a bit to far from me (an hour and a half). Clonmel is almost 2 hours away so I'd say it will have to be in Clare or Limerick (unless I get accomodation nearby).

Ha yeah i heard a few people saying ye're suppose to be the worst year ever :L but that can work to your advantage then, if majority have low QCA's then thats a good thing for each individual person. If the majority had good QCA's then that's make the low QCA's look bad ! you should be grand then ! escpecially with the 4 months experience! ah yeah they try and facilitate ya as best as possible, like im from cashel which is 30 mins from clonmel where i work so im saving on paying for accomdation and have mammy dinners :L !!

Ha yeah i heard a few people saying ye're suppose to be the worst year ever :L but that can work to your advantage then, if majority have low QCA's then thats a good thing for each individual person. If the majority had good QCA's then that's make the low QCA's look bad ! you should be grand then ! escpecially with the 4 months experience! ah yeah they try and facilitate ya as best as possible, like im from cashel which is 30 mins from clonmel where i work so im saving on paying for accomdation and have mammy dinners :L !!
    Ah we're not stupid, just a little naive is all! :D I'm sure whoever didn't drop out will get it together this coming semester. My QCA for second semester is nearly 1.0 higher than the first one so I'm improving rapidly! :pac:

Yea, the closer to home the better...

18555707.jpg

Advertisement