Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Round Offers

• 20-08-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

By how much can they deduct points in second round offers? As the point rise requriements isnt attainable to a lot of people, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

MOR66 wrote: »
    By how much can they deduct points in second round offers? As the point rise requriements isnt attainable to a lot of people, thanks
    It depends. Not everyone accepts their first round offer for whatever reason, places open up and the next highest CAO points get the remaining places. They generally don't go much further down than 10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

any chance economics in ucd is likely to come down by 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MOR66 wrote: »
    It depends entirely on how many vacant places they end up with in a course at the end of Round One, and how many people are waiting for it and on what points.

If a course has 100 places, it will be offered to the first 100 in terms of points ranking (provided they all have the minimum requirements).

The points for that course in Round 1 are the points of the last person in, so let's say 450.

If at the end of Round 1 they have 10 vacancies, it will be offered to the next 10 on the list. If there are 10 with 445 points, then 445 is the points for Round 2.

If there are 5 with 445 and 5 with 440, then 440 is the points.

The points of the LAST person in the door in any round sets the points, no person makes a decision "we'll drop to X points".

It's ALL Supply and Demand! :)

Hence always hard to predict as well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CatchingFire

Any chance home ec and irish teaching in Sligo will drop by ten? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JEP

I took the details below as an example from a CAO listing. Can someone explain how a second round offer was made in this example given the first round offer was to all on 475 points

Surely the second round should be 470 with perhaps an *.

2011 2011
    ROUND 1 ROUND 2
    ST PATRICK`S DRUMCONDRA

PD101 Education - Primary Teaching 475 475

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

JEP wrote: »
    I took the details below as an example from a CAO listing. Can someone explain how a second round offer was made in this example given the first round offer was to all on 475 points

2011 2011
    ROUND 1 ROUND 2
    ST PATRICK`S DRUMCONDRA

Maybe there was no second round?

Another example from the same CAO listing, this time UCD. Architecture has gone down in round 2, landscape architecture reamins the same in round 2 while there is no change to structural engineering. I really can't understand the round 1 and 2 offers being the same.
    2011 2011
    ROUND 1 ROUND 2
    UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN

DN100 Architecture 485 470
    DN120 Landscape Architecture 360 360
    DN140 Structural Engineering with Architecture 410

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If people have the same amount of points lets say 10 people have 400 points, then they are each given a random number.

So we have 5 spaces left on a course when we get to the 400 points people, the people given numbers 1-5 will get the offer in round 1.
    2 people dont accept their offer so 6 and 7 get offers in round 2. The points for round 2 are still the same.
    Or it could be that they just leave the points the same in the case of nobody dropping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

If people have the same amount of points lets say 10 people have 400 points, then they are each given a random number.

So we have 5 spaces left on a course when we get to the 400 points people, the people given numbers 1-5 will get the offer in round 1.
    2 people dont accept their offer so 6 and 7 get offers in round 2. The points for round 2 are still the same.
    Or it could be that they just leave the points the same in the case of nobody dropping out.
    True, but in that case it'd be something like 475* 475, with the * denoting random selection. If nobody dropped out they wouldn't have a round 2 though.

2011 2011
    ROUND 1 ROUND 2
    ST PATRICK`S DRUMCONDRA

It does look a little odd, but one possibility does occur to me: apart from the normal appeals process, there is a "short-cut" process for people who view their scripts and realise that there has simply been an error in adding up marks. These can be sent off and are normally amended very quickly; not usually by the actual date of Round 2 offers, but an extra offer a few days later as a result of such a situation may have been included under Round 2 for convenience.

Another possibility is that it simply indicates that there was no change in Round 2 (i.e. no additional offers were made) but if so, it's a somewhat confusing way of doing it, I admit.

p.s. are you getting these from an actual listing on the CAO site, or from a listing of CAO points on a college website?

• Advertisement

From the CAO address below. There are so many of them that I am not sure the reasons above would fit in.

Google CAO Round 2 list 211 and you get -

Go to Level 8 List of Institutions. - CAOwww2.cao.ie/points/LVL8_2011_rnd2xyz.htmCached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 haveyoumetted

So i got 505 points and just missed out on science in trinity :( I was wondering if people think it is worth waiting for the second round offers or should i just forget about it as i have gotten my second choice in DCU & an on campus accomodation offer for theres too which has to be excepted by tuesday (second round offers on thursday) Any help is really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomWN

So i got 505 points and just missed out on science in trinity :( I was wondering if people think it is worth waiting for the second round offers or should i just forget about it as i have gotten my second choice in DCU & an on campus accomodation offer for theres too which has to be excepted by tuesday (second round offers on thursday) Any help is really appreciated :)

Well you can accept your second choice, and still could be offered the place in Trinity in the second round offers. Accepting an offer doesn't automaticaly terminate your eligibility to recieve an offer from Trinity in round 2.

TomWN wrote: »
    Well you can accept your second choice, and still could be offered the place in Trinity in the second round offers. Accepting an offer doesn't automaticaly terminate your eligibility to recieve an offer from Trinity in round 2.
    Thanks for your reply - I have already accepted my second offer and I am planning on waiting for second rounds as I only missed out by 5 points. It just creates a problem with accomodation as i am from Clare so i will need accmodation in Dublin and its probably impossible to get it after secound rounds - I have an on campus accomodation offer for DCU but it needs to be accepted before tuesday and the secound round offers arent until thursday :confused:

Thanks for your reply - I have already accepted my second offer and I am planning on waiting for second rounds as I only missed out by 5 points. It just creates a problem with accomodation as i am from Clare so i will need accmodation in Dublin and its probably impossible to get it after secound rounds - I have an on campus accomodation offer for DCU but it needs to be accepted before tuesday and the secound round offers arent until thursday :confused:

This is from the DCU accommodation site FAQ (www.dcuaccommodation.ie/home/faqs.323.html)

Q. What if I change my mind or find alternative accommodation? Do I get my deposit back?
    Once you have accepted an offer your deposit is non-refundable and you are also responsible for paying the rental charges until the room is re-allocated.

I assume it has happened in the past that people have accepted offers from DCU and taken a higher preference choice in round 2. At least this shows you the cost.

TomWN wrote: »
    This is from the DCU accommodation site FAQ (www.dcuaccommodation.ie/home/faqs.323.html)

Q. What if I change my mind or find alternative accommodation? Do I get my deposit back?
    Once you have accepted an offer your deposit is non-refundable and you are also responsible for paying the rental charges until the room is re-allocated.

I assume it has happened in the past that people have accepted offers from DCU and taken a higher preference choice in round 2. At least this shows you the cost.
    Oh I see..Well i wouldnt mind the deposit bit, just the paying the rent until they find someone else seems a bit dodgy. What I think i will do is not accept DCU accomodation and take it as it comes! Thank you for all your help :)

Oh I see..Well i wouldnt mind the deposit bit, just the paying the rent until they find someone else seems a bit dodgy. What I think i will do is not accept DCU accomodation and take it as it comes! Thank you for all your help :)

The cheapest alternative is probably to not accept the DCU accomodation and find a place to live yourself alright.

Best of luck with your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Hey guys,

I missed out on engineering by 5 points and I am hoping I will be offered a place in the second round. Engineering is 430 points and was first choice on my list. My question is if I have accept my second choice which is 400 points, can I still be offered engineering in the second round?

Irish94 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I missed out on engineering by 5 points and I am hoping I will be offered a place in the second round. Engineering is 430 points and was first choice on my list. My question is if I have accept my second choice which is 400 points, can I still be offered engineering in the second round?

Yes..... accepting an offer does not disqualify you from possibly getting a round 2 offer.

From the CAO address below. There are so many of them that I am not sure the reasons above would fit in.

Google CAO Round 2 list 211 and you get -

Go to Level 8 List of Institutions. - CAOwww2.cao.ie/points/LVL8_2011_rnd2xyz.htmCached
    Then I think it has to be this ...
    Another possibility is that it simply indicates that there was no change in Round 2 (i.e. no additional offers were made) but if so, it's a somewhat confusing way of doing it, I admit.
    ... but I do agree that something like "no offers" under second round would be clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 alit53

hi, i just got my result for the lc, and im hoping to do engineering....and i want to do it in tcd. i got an offer from another college in 1st round and for tcd's first round offer requirements i am 15 points short. so any chance i can get engineering in tcd 2nd round? any info wud be helpful...thanks

alit53 wrote: »
    hi, i just got my result for the lc, and im hoping to do engineering....and i want to do it in tcd. i got an offer from another college in 1st round and for tcd's first round offer requirements i am 15 points short. so any chance i can get engineering in tcd 2nd round? any info wud be helpful...thanks
    Read post 4 in this thread carefully for what determines points in second round.

The honest answer is: none of us know at this stage.

But if forced to guess I would say that if you're 15 points short for engineering in TCD, the chances of it dropping that much in Round 2 are very slim indeed.

Advertisement