Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I tell my parents I smoke?

• 20-08-2012 5:34pm
    Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭

Well I am a 20 year old guy and I live at home when I am not at College. I started smoking about 18 months ago mainly on nights out and this has spread to week nights to. I would only smoke about 6-10 on a normal night and 20 on a night out. I have no problem with my smoking it makes me feel relaxed ad at ease. The thing is my parents don't take to well to people smoke my dad has told people that he'll make sure his children doesn't smoke etc. I have no problem with smoking outside but in order for me to have a fag I have to change my clothes into my smoking clothes and climb out my bedroom window and then if I want to come back into the house I have to change again and brush my teeth and wash my hands as well as wearing loads of deodorant.
    So how would you recommend that I tell my parents I smoke?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I'm gonna go ahead and guess they already know you smoke by what you've described after having a smoke you'll always smell of smoke whether you've changed your clothes or brushed your teeth. This will be all the more obvious if they don't smoke themselves.

Bite the bullet and say it to them or do yourself a favour and quit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Changing clothes, climbing out a window, re-changing clothes, deodorant, brushing teeth several times a day sounds like it would do the exact opposite of putting me at ease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Tell them you have good news, you've managed to kick your heroin habit. Your not sure where you found the strenght to do it but the cigarettes seem to be a big help in getting you through this difficult chapter. And spark one up. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

will.i.am wrote: »
    I have no problem with my smoking it makes me feel relaxed ad at ease.

As an ex-smoker I can tell you that is complete bollix. It does nothing of the sort. If you want to relax have a beer or a bong but nicotine does jack **** for you.

Unless your parents are non smokers they already know you smoke because you smell like an auld bag lady covered in stale piss.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Unless your parents are non smokers they already know you smoke because you smell like an auld bag lady covered in stale piss.

I was goin for the softly softly approach but you're dead right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

My gf used to be in a similar situation...but not quite as extreme!!
    She lives at home and smokes, and for ages thought her parents didn't know! They would have been quite strongly anti smoking!
    She used to go out driving in her car whenever she wanted a fag..but anyway turns out they eventually cought her....to her surprise they had known for ages!!
    OP I'd be shocked if they didn't know!! 5 minutes talking with someone you've never met and you'd usually know if they were a smoker!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does not belong in the Smoking Forum.

Please read the Charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement