Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know the situation in Dublin for IT contract work these days?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask. If not, apologies.

I'm a programmer with about 10 years experience (enterprise and consumer software), and am oblivious to the state of the industry in Ireland right now. I've been working on my own software and web projects for the past 5 years rather than work for someone else, but am looking to land some contract work for a while.

Is it easy to get contract work in Dublin, or is everyone hiring full time employees only? Most of my experience is in Windows development using C++, and web projects using PHP and MySQL, though I have the usual bits of other technologies you pick up over the years.

Anyone have any knowledge in this area, or able to drop some pointers as to where it's best to look for contract positions? Had a look at Monster, but it seems to be only full time positions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Loads of contracts around. Just keep searching the jobsites and applying for stuff. Eventually your CV will be on file with all the agencies. Also consider widening your area a bit, you can go work abroad for 6 months without tax complications.

Best to broaden expertise a bit, add some java and c#. Android development paying almost as much as finance these days, is crazy.

LinkedIn can also be good once you get lots of connections. Whenever you talk to an agent make connection.

The trick is getting the juicy contracts with good rates, this can rely on specific domain knowledge/experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Michael_Dare

Thanks for that. Have to look into Android development then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 haroldwne

I am very curious: has anyone tried roleconnect.com? Contractors upload details of their skillset, link up to your linkedin profile and companies can find you directly. It cuts out the recruiter. Seems that contractors get paid more out of it, and companies pay less as a result of there being no middle man.

I am very tempted to throw my details up there shortly as I'm considering entering the freelance / contracting arena. I'm kind of bored with the full time job even if it pays ok.

Anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I've sent them my details as well. They are still in closed beta however, so you have to wait to get approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 haroldwne

srsly78 wrote: »
    I've sent them my details as well. They are still in closed beta however, so you have to wait to get approved.

Thanks for that. I hadn't looked closely enough to realise that they were in private beta.

Pretty good idea though. I wonder how situations will be handled if there are any difficulties in getting paid. We'll find out soon I suppose.

Without meaning to go off topic too much, we had a contractor here doing Oracle Forms stuff for 9 months, getting 250 per day before tax. Company was paying 320 I think. I thought that was a huge margin to be taking!

• Advertisement
Advertisement