Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Running Training Log

Options
  • 20-08-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭

Hey folks am new to running and want to get some advice from those more experienced. Main races would be 5K with 10K or half marathon the goal for next June.

Ive run one 5K where my best time is 29:35 although I know i could rapidly improve on that as I walked a share of that one due to going out too fast early on and a couple of long hills which totaly drained me.

My training plan at the moment is 3 miles with a set of interval runs followed for a 1 mile cool down 3 times a week. I admit to walking a number of times during this training though. I also do some seperate strneght and core work on other days. I partake in GAA so 'should' have a relatively ok level of fitness however am weighin in just over 15 stone so some excess needs to be shifted on that front.

The main obstacle I find is the tedium involved but I have a good music playlist put together on the ipod of my iphone and that along with the Nike+ running app helps me get along. However, carrying this around is an annoyance, any good tips for something that will keep it secure so that it soesnt bounce around.

any tips on running training or anyting will be greatly apprepricated. Hoping to get a PB of under 24 mins for 5k and under 55 min for 10K so finally being under 1:50 for the half marathon next June,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

slingerz wrote: »
    Hey folks am new to running and want to get some advice from those more experienced. Main races would be 5K with 10K or half marathon the goal for next June.

Ive run one 5K where my best time is 29:35 although I know i could rapidly improve on that as I walked a share of that one due to going out too fast early on and a couple of long hills which totaly drained me.

My training plan at the moment is 3 miles with a set of interval runs followed for a 1 mile cool down 3 times a week. I admit to walking a number of times during this training though. I also do some seperate strneght and core work on other days. I partake in GAA so 'should' have a relatively ok level of fitness however am weighin in just over 15 stone so some excess needs to be shifted on that front.

The main obstacle I find is the tedium involved but I have a good music playlist put together on the ipod of my iphone and that along with the Nike+ running app helps me get along. However, carrying this around is an annoyance, any good tips for something that will keep it secure so that it soesnt bounce around.

any tips on running training or anyting will be greatly apprepricated. Hoping to get a PB of under 24 mins for 5k and under 55 min for 10K so finally being under 1:50 for the half marathon next June,

There is no harm in walking some of the distance, I couldn't run 100 meters last year. I started like you're self just take it easy dont over do it. Have you invested in pair running shoes?

Advertisement