Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been in trouble with the Gardai?

• 20-08-2012 6:15pm
    Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭

I have never really being in trouble with the gardai. I have just being told to move on and to go home to bed at about 3am when I was at a lake and I was with my friends and we decided to feed the birds loads of French baguettes and croissants and what ever else we could get at Tesco for 40euro. Garda's actually found it funny.
    So, have you ever being in trouble with the Gardai?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Neighbours called them to shut down my house party, shower of curtain twitchers!

Got a speeding ticket, was 50 punts which was a hell of lot of money to me at the time

Told to get off my bike and walk home a few times while drunken cycling. Of course you just walk around the corner and cycle again.

That's it, nothing more, good citizen :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Yes, and big trouble at that.
    All in all I have to say I found them ok though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Just a few instances of them being complete arseholes and trying(and failing) to be intimidating at protests.

Outside of that context no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

They claimed, I ran over a red light on the bike, but it was dark orange :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

OP should be arrested for spending 40euro on baguettes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Lars1916 wrote: »
    They claimed, I ran over a red light on the bike, but it was dark orange :D
    You sure it wasn't a steamroller instead of a bike? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

You sure it wasn't a steamroller instead of a bike? :D

I had a bad day, I would have run over a steamroller actually ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Neighbours called them to shut down my house party, shower of curtain twitchers!

Got a speeding ticket, was 50 punts which was a hell of lot of money to me at the time

Told to get off my bike and walk home a few times while drunken cycling. Of course you just walk around the corner and cycle again.

That's it, nothing more, good citizen :cool:

Can't stand dry****e neighbours like that. My neighbours used to have parties well into 6 am and I would genuinely rather bear the brunt of a bit of noise than **** over someone's social life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Can't stand dry****e neighbours like that. My neighbours used to have parties well into 6 am and I would genuinely rather bear the brunt of a bit of noise than **** over someone's social life.

Sarcasm dripping off this post :pac:

Was just one party. One party all summer.
    I'd be annoyed too over constant parties but I wouldn't call the gardaí over a once off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I broke a red light and got stopped by traffic garde. I showed him my licence which unbeknown to me was out of date by 6 months. So he did me for breaking a barrier, driving without a licence, driving without insurance, failure to produce a licence and insurance, failure to carry a valid licence.

Basically I was over 12 points and I assumed I would lose my licence so I bought a push bike in preparation for that event. On the day of court I was dressed in formal clothes assuming the worse. But I was lucky, 3 of the cases before me the defendants never turned up, (they got the book thrown at them in their absence). Then a girl in her pyjamas, another guy in his tracksuit and an African who wouldn't speak English, then a lunatic ffing and blinding.

Then I was called and I got a "good morning Mr Mustard" and I gave a very enthusiastic good morning Mam, she asked why was your licence out of date, I gave a very clear and respectful answer adding it wasn't a deliberate act Blah Blah Blah.

Then she asked is my paperwork in order now and I said off course it is mam, then you can go now, I went "HUH" she said case dismissed you can go now, Thank you mam.

I think I was the first normal person she seen that morning dressed up and showing respect for the court. That day you could have said my family were killed in a car crash and I still would have been grinning.

The silver lining was I discovered a love of cycling which I still do today 5 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

Yes once, was done for DD once and I have to say the Gardaí couldn't have been any nicer or helpful towards me, I got the impression they didn't want me to fail the breathalyser test in the station as they knew I was genuinely remorseful. Young and stupid more like. :rolleyes:

Treat the Gardaí with respect and you will get it in return, they are only human after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Nothing serious, no.
    The usual "well lads you're not in the garden now pour out the cans".

That's about it. Usually they're nice and just told us "don't let me catch ye again boys" and we'd head off, unless someone in the group starts mouthing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sarcasm dripping off this post :pac:

Was just one party. One party all summer.
    I'd be annoyed too over constant parties but I wouldn't call the gardaí over a once off

But I used "genuine".

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Got charged with "Theft of state property" back in 2008.

Drink fueled night out. Was in Bruxelles with the lads...
    After the pub closed up we ended up outside HMV on Grafton Street.
    Two guards had my mate up against the window shouting at him.
    I ran over (being the drunk hero that i was) and asked the guards what was going on.
    One turned to me and shouted clear off or else yada yada yada...
    To which I grabbed the hat of his head and ran up Grafton street.

The guard was in hot pursuit.
    I ran up along the taxi rank que at St. Stephens Green with the intention of jumping into the park.
    A good citizen saw me coming and decided to jump from the taxi cue and catch me with a clothes line.
    The guard was on top of me seconds later with his knee on my neck.
    The good citizen was desperatly seeking a pat on the back from the guard who blanked him. The van rolled up and in I went.
    Spent the night in Pearce St station and was let out the next day.

When I learned of my charge I needed to hire a Solicitor for the court hearing.
    This cost €600.
    I was 1st called on the day, the guard didnt show and the Judge ripped into me.
    I had to apologise to the court and pay €1000 to the guard benevolent fund and got put on the probation act.

All in all, it was a lucky escape as the charge could of resulted in a criminal record and time.

I've been a new man since and havent come close to stepping out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

You mean our guards can actually manage to run?!? :eek:

I ran over (being the drunk hero that i was) and asked the guards what was going on.

I ran up along the taxi rank que at St. Stephens Green with the intention of jumping into the park.
    A good citizen saw me coming and decided to jump from the taxi cue and catch me with a clothes line.
    The good citizen was desperatly seeking a pat on the back from the guard who blanked him. The van rolled up and in I went.

This cost €600.
    I had to apologise to the court and pay €1000 to the guard benevolent fund and got put on the probation act.

All in all, it was a lucky escape as the charge could of resulted in a criminal record and time.

cruais wrote: »
    You mean our guards can actually manage to run?!? :eek:

Yup, IMO it was out of mortification tho... imagine the red face on him going back to the station saying some drunk muppet with long hair robbed me hat and out ran me...

If it wasnt for the intervention I reckon he would of ran all night to get it back. And if no one was around he would of dished out a few slaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

This cost €600.

I would've thought if the guard didn't show up for something like that they would have dropped it. Was he not needed as a witness or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Nearly de-railed a freight train once when I was 15
    Got hauled off in a cop car and me auld fella gave me a good thump for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Guards raided our beach party and we had to leg it while high and loaded through the fields and walls to escape them.

Even us all being so fucked we couldn't tell our arse from our elbow wasn't so much a disadvantage and we out ran the fat bastards pretty well. Course one of the lads got so paranoid and confused that he spear tackled his mate and broke his ankle. Funniest moment ever!

Being 15 was great craic :D

• Advertisement

BOF666 wrote: »
    I would've thought if the guard didn't show up for something like that they would have dropped it. Was he not needed as a witness or something?

Would of thought that myself, but it didnt stop the judge doing what she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

They'll nevaar catch meeee muaarharrharrharr *cough cough*

I was at a house party once though. Needles to say the volume was quite loud and the sun was starting to come up over the horizon.

I looked out through the balcony window and saw a guard down at the street (we were on fifth floor or something)
    He pointed and waved at me, i pointed and waved back, closed the balconydoor and went back to the party. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Got stopped for speeding. Was 20km over the limit but he just let me go :-D

I'm a rebel :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

gards-no,greater manchester police; yes,have a rather large history with them but it isnt a criminal record,mainly being chased and restrained by them due to being labeled as accutely vulnerable and high risk,last time it happened ended up in hospital due to going into status [epilepticus],police have got more than they bargined for many a time.
    the last time had 'come across them' was the worst have ever experienced, wont go into heavy detail,but ended up with months of severe nerve pain as until seeing was wearing a adult pullup they had assumed was on drugs,they used a pressure point technique [using all their weight through their hands to press on a point between end of jaw and base of skull],still have the excess nerve pain which doesnt help as already have a faulty trigeminal nerve [diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia] for many years.

have got a lot of respect for police who give a damn about the job and give a damn about people and what is right,GMP are almost all top cops;getting out in the community and knowing residents personaly.
    our centre trains GMP in autism awareness,they are heavily trained in all impairments and differences and are not power hungry jerks like a lot of people seem to asociate with police,though when they come to do training here they dont mind parking in all the disabled spots- including where mine goes if we are out,or our minibus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Very little thank god. Have to phone them regularly and they usually show up pretty quick, so i'm always glad their there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

When I was younger I went out trick or treating and a man said he had no sweets left. So I said messing "I'll have your watch instead", didn't make any attempt to go near him or anything! I thought he would of seen the funny side! But he didn't and he grabbed me in front of my friends dragged me into the house and pinned me up against the wall and started swearing at me. I was only eleven at the time. I didn't know what he was going to do but his wife came out to her surprise and he let me go straight away and off I ran out the door. (Oh ya he kicked me out the door.)

And as I walked home the guards pulled up and they brought me back to the house and he idenified me as the culprit, for what I don't know to this day :rolleyes: Got brought home and the guard said I was semi trick or treating.:rolleyes:

Looking back now what the man did was a disgrace and if I was a bit older and wiser I might of been able to get my story across. But I said nothing as I was so scared. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I got caught underage drinking twice and got brought home by the Gardai, the second time it happened they assigned me a Youth Liason officer to get to the bottom of why I was "drinking my life away".

Other than that, no. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Had a few encounters but nothing too serious.

Had one dickhead of a young cop (younger than me) accuse me of laughing at him after their Gardaì jackets were stolen from the boot of the squad car outside a pub. He threatened to bring me down to the station and throw all sorts of charge sheets at me, even tried lumping one in about drugs because I apparently looked dodgy that night.

I kept telling him he was probably mistaking me for someone else but he was certain it was me since he "has a great memory for faces"

Well, funny thing about that was I was nowhere near the pub and was at home that night when it had happened and told him with a big ol' smile to go and check the CCTV. Hell, I even told him to talk to the owner of the pub who knew me.

He just grimaced at me and told me to go home before sticking his head out the window at me and saying: "I'll be watching you!"

He was a complete cùnt. Heard a few weeks later he started a fight with some guy, kicked his head in with 2 other fellas, flashed his badge and got the guy arrested. Though he got in major shìt for flashing the badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Yeah but not proud of it, assault although it was self defence, then again the poor lad ended up in hospital for a week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think the only time I've spoken to a Garda in my life was a few months ago when I was picking my brother up from the LUAS, and was pulled into a kinda dodgey looking laneway in Leopardstown. The Gardaí were setting up a checkpoint right in front of it, just my luck. I think the Garda thought I was dogging. He just looked at my license and asked about the car and let me carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Just once
    2 plain clothes garda banging my door down at 6am.
    To which my mother answered and let them as they explained I had a warrant out against me for failing to appear in court for theft charge.
    After a few minutes of it wasn't me, they advised I had to come down the station.
    Off i went garda were very nice as they sped thru red lights smoking fags.
    In the back of the station Sergant hands me my rights then other guy says thats not him bla bla very sorry and they will drop me home asap.
    To which i asked any chance of that breakfast im entitled too, they said i wouldn't want it.

Dropped home and later got a letter off the super noting the mistake and they would reference my name as know alias for the real thief.

Just aswell i wasn't stopped and Garda in cork or something arresting Garda would have had to drive down to confirm who i was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

A few weeks ago, I went to a BBQ, drove the girlfriends car over, drank all evening until 5 the following morning, got a taxi home. At 5 the following evening, I dropped the girlfriend to collect her car. I was on the way back home and a squad car pulled up beside me at traffic lights, Guard asked me where I'm going and then asked me to pull in further up the road. Realised that I had no tax and that's why I'm being pulled in.

Anyway, I'm dying from the night before but thinking to myself, there is no way I could still be over the limit. Guard asks me the why I had no tax, blah blah blah and then the question I was dreading arrived, have you had any drink today? Heart sank, I told him the truth about the night before and that I was just after dropping the girlfriend to collect her car. Breathalyser comes out and the obvious happens, I fail.

To cut the long story short, I was polite the whole time to the Guard, he was polite to me and said to me I hope you pass in the station :eek: I did pass in the station. I find if you treat people with respect, the majority of the time, you will get respect in return.

The final words we had, made me laugh though. This was after I blew into the machine at the station.

Him: "Are you sure you didn't have a drink today?"
    Me: "I'm positive, I take it I failed if you're asking me that question?"
    Him: "No you passed but there is still traces of alcohol in your system"
    Me: "That's great" I had a big smile on my face.
    Him: "I don't know why you're smiling, you're still getting fined for not having your tax"

It's scary to think after 12 hours, you can still fail a roadside test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm lucky I haven't met a mean one so far, I've never seen the interior of a garda car and I don't want to any time soon.

I've only ever really had anything to do with them when in a large group.. few times knacker drinking, especially once where a garda car drove after us over a large green area and one hopped out to chase on foot, caught three of my friends in a group because most of us had split up and they gave the excuse that they were running away from the youths who were drinking illegally and they were happy the guards were going to put a stop to their mess acting. They completely bought it and were left to go. Not that the guards could have really done anything to them anyways.

Also around the same area have been chased a good few times by guards under the same circumstances.

Advertisement