Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mod banned

Options
  • 20-08-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

evening all

was banned from the wrestling forum by his royal highness jaykhunter.

the jist of the convo was that a new person was asking about training (the where and when etc) and in response to his simple question he got obliterated by some lads who spend too much time on the board slagging people and being horrible. i cant find examples because i cannot get on to the forum.......anyway,

i said the following

alot of knob ends on this...

at least that kid wants to train...the rest of you wouldnt last 2 sessions without pussing out

what i was trying to get across was that there are alot of people who talk down and are insulting and antagonising to anyone new or anyone asking what they think is a stupid question.... maybe my language was a bit ott but i wasn't any more antagonising or insulting that anyone else on the thread.

jaykhunter, unless you banned everyone who was (to use your words) 'insulting or antagonising' , you where wrong to single me out for punishment.

explain to me why i was the one you banned ? (again assuming you have not banned anyone else).

or are you just playing favourites??

i was DEFENDING someone who was being bullied on the thread.

cheers

W.A.A.M

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you discussed this with the Mod who banned you via PM, as set out as the first stage of the DRP?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

yes i have tried to discuss this with jay....i got a message saying i was being insulting and antagonistic, then i sent 2 back with no replies.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll have a look at your appeal then, which I understand to be against a one month ban from the Pro Wrestling Forum. I will firstly PM jaykhunter to get their version of events

One thing I am not going to do however is consider any other posts you believe should have been acted on. I am looking at your ban alone. If you had problems with other posts or posters in the thread in question, you should have reported the posts (and checking your posting history I can find no record of you having done so)

Thanks

beasty

cheers for the reply.

i thought that the mod was keeping an eye on the forum and would have seen people being insulting and antagonising to the poster in question. i believe that my post needs to be seen in the context of what was being said in the thread. if you read through it, you will see that the mod had let alot of behavior slide before my comment. my comment is not any more insulting to anyone than their comments where.

i look forward to your reply

cheers

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

was banned from the wrestling forum by his royal highness jaykhunter.
    Just a friendly piece of advice: check the attitude at the door. Any dispute resolution that begins with name-calling towards one of our volunteer moderators is likely to get short shrift from the admin team.

Carry on.

• Advertisement

oscar bravo

just trying to be light hearted about the whole thing.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Just a friendly piece of advice: check the attitude at the door. Any dispute resolution that begins with name-calling towards one of our volunteer moderators is likely to get short shrift from the admin team.

Carry on.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

just trying to be light hearted about the whole thing.
    It's hard to distinguish light-heartedness from snarkiness in a print medium, especially in the context of a complaint about someone. Keep it in mind.

Kept in mind. Assume sarcasm on my part. Never any malice intended. While I do feel that my ban is unfair, I look forward to hearing back about what the mods think of my defense

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's hard to distinguish light-heartedness from snarkiness in a print medium, especially in the context of a complaint about someone. Keep it in mind.

i said the following

alot of knob ends on this...
    You admit you called other posters in the thread a lot of "knob ends". I presume you acknowledge this is abusive towards those posters. You've been on Boards long enough to understand that abusing other posters is not acceptable
    i was DEFENDING someone who was being bullied on the thread.
    You were attacking those posters, not defending the OP. It is for this that you received your ban.

I've read through the thread in question, and none of the other posters were abusive towards the OP (or indeed anyone else), and as I've already indicated if you had any problems with any other posters this should be dealt with by reporting the post, not responding in-thread

My view is that a ban is warranted (and indeed is fairly standard for abuse of other posters). The only question in my mind is whether 1 month is appropriate

Mods take into account a number of factors in determining what punishment to hand out in a case like this. My understanding is that a 1 month ban is fairly standard for abuse in the Pro Wrestling forum.

My only other question is are there any mitigating factors which could help support a reduction in the length of ban. However I'm struggling to see any. You are not a particularly regular poster in the forum, but a quick glance at your other posts reveals one where you call another poster
    some idiot on boards not knowing what they are talking about!!

Based on the above I can see no reason for overturning the ban. I would suggest you use this opportunity to reconsider your posting style in the forum. As can be seen from this thread, something you may consider as "sarcastic" can be taken very negatively by other users of the site

You may, of course, ask for this decision to be reviewed by an Admin

i believe the context in which my remarks where made have been missed. you cant take them alone, you have to look at them as part of the thread. for you to say you dont see that anyone else was being insulting is something i do not agree with. but you are the mods so i wont be challenging your decision.

you have made your decision, thats fine. i now know what i can and cannot say on boards. will not deviate from these rules.

• Advertisement

Thank you

This Appeal can now be marked Resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement