Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving up salary scale?

• 20-08-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am a NQT, however the last teaching year I was on point 3 of the old salary scale as I had taught prior to January 2011.

My questions are:
    1. Do I have to do anything to ensure I move up the salary scale (get forms signed etc) or does it happen automatically if you are paid by the Dept?

2. How many teaching hours must you complete to move up a point on the salary scale?

3. This year I have secured a job which will be paid by the school privately. The principal said he will pay me what I am entitled to and all that. My concern is that if I get a Department paid job again next September will this years teaching hours count to move up a point on the salary scale?

Any clarification would be grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

rose23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am a NQT, however the last teaching year I was on point 3 of the old salary scale as I had taught prior to January 2011.

My questions are:
    1. Do I have to do anything to ensure I move up the salary scale (get forms signed etc) or does it happen automatically if you are paid by the Dept?

2. How many teaching hours must you complete to move up a point on the salary scale?

3. This year I have secured a job which will be paid by the school privately. The principal said he will pay me what I am entitled to and all that. My concern is that if I get a Department paid job again next September will this years teaching hours count to move up a point on the salary scale?

You should keep your point on the scale with the Dept but I doubt you'll keep your allowances as you weren't qualified then.

As for working in a private school & being paid privately , I'm in the same boat.
    If & when you go back on the dept pay you'll write to them, get the school to confirm you were working there as a teacher & you'll be moved up as its obviously similar work.

As far as I remember, to move up on the scale, you must have worked an avg of 18 hours per week for a school year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

rose23 wrote: »

Dunno if it's the exact same scenario but have a look a musicmentals post, seems like you should... as per Inspector Coopter's post.. here RE increments

Maybe just make double sure that the contract states that you will be paid on a par with dept. paid teachers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Several things:
    1. I moved out of private sector teaching as they were no longer following the departments payscales so make sure you confirm absolutely that you will be paid as per the payscales including increments.
    2. Check are you entitled to a pension on the private work. You are no longer allowed to claim back years on your pension once you move back to a public school. I lost two years on my pension because of this cut off.
    3. I was granted my increments for the two years I taught in a private school. However it has taken all year to get the paperwork processed-only got it finished with in May this year. I would also check with the union that this isn't being changed as I would expect it to be one of the next low hanging fruit that is chopped in education.

It was brilliant experience as I got full hours straight out of my PGDE which just wasn't available in the public sector but I have no regrets for moving back into the public sector now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I guess it depends on the school as to if they follow dept scales.

I wouldn't have accepted the job otherwise.

I'll be two years out of pension aswell (minimum) but, given that I'll probably end up working til I'm 68, that'll give me 44 years service so it won't be an issue as I'll easily get my 40 years in for full pension.

How/why did it take them so long to process what should be a simple enough task to say you worked as a teacher for x number of hours per week for a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I guess it depends on the school as to if they follow dept scales.

I wouldn't have accepted the job otherwise.

I'll be two years out of pension aswell (minimum) but, given that I'll probably end up working til I'm 68, that'll give me 44 years service so it won't be an issue as I'll easily get my 40 years in for full pension.

How/why did it take them so long to process what should be a simple enough task to say you worked as a teacher for x number of hours per week for a year?

Lost forms on several occasions, not enough information etc. I wasn't dealing with the dept of education tho, they may be quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Could anybody shed some light on incremental movement if you did subbing? I am a NQT this year but subbed in schools from November 2010 to may 2012. I just got my statement of service from the dept and I did 399 hours in that period! Is there any way this could count?

Went into vec today to enquire. Need over 300hrs in previous yr to count....I have 300+ but from 2yrs ago!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Flecks wrote: »
    It's amazing the sense of entitlement here.

Are you suggesting workers should not claim what they are entitled to by contract?

If you disagree with increments then fair enough - there are endless threads in which to discuss that issue, but that is not the discussion here. Would you not bother claiming pay to which you were entitled by your contract?

It's amazing the sense of entitlement here. The country bankrupt and the greedy grasping teachers looking for their increments

Yes I am greedy for trying to claim money I am entitled to!!!!! I would love for you to be in the situation of having half hours for contract yet still working 40hrs if not more yet still not making minimum wage!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's amazing the sense of entitlement here. The country bankrupt and the greedy grasping teachers looking for their increments

Please read the forum charter.
    This is not the forum to come to slag off teachers.
    If you wish to do so, don't post here again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement