Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched a movie this morning I first saw by sneaking into it as I was underage at the time (and I think it was only a 12 rated movie, lol!) Beat Street having recorded it from TCM a few weeks ago. Now back in 1984 I'm quite sure I would have thought this was amongst the coolest movies of all time, featuring so many things that were alien to me as a white Irish kid - black people (!), hip hop, New York, Subway trains (!), graffiti, scratchin on records, mixing, sampling, break dancing etc. but in hindsight it's a weak story which was basically thrown together to feature the very 'of the time' break dancing phenomenon (along with Streetdance, the Breakin' movies 1 & 2 (after which this thread gets the Electric Boogaloo part in case you didn't know!). I couldn't "break", but I loved the music and had both soundtracks the movie spawned on vinyl, cassette (and years later cd) which basically in my extreme youth made me semi-cool, lol.

The movie in many ways tries to shoehorn as many aspects of hip hop culture as it can into its 105mins, often with no linear progression but hey, it is what it is - a product of the time. It also tries to showcase as many hip hop artists as possible into the film, featuring a lot of acts which either had or went on to have important roles in the history of hip hop. You get cameos from the likes of Afrika Bambatta, Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furous Five, Grandmaster Flash, Kool Moe Dee (as part of The Treacherous Three) etc., and even an appearance from The Rock Steady Crew in what was likely the first 'dance battle' featured in a movie.

As a movie, it's pretty lame; as a piece of factional history it's a fascinating slice of the early origins of hip hop culture. Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but I'll give it a 6.5/10, most of which is for the dancing and rapping scenes.

Worth a look if you have an interest in hip hop culture and also to see the city NY used to be only 29 years ago! The full movie is on You Tube but I won't post the link as it's against the forum rules.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

American Graffiti

George Lucas' nostalgic look at being a teen in the early 60's. A group of friends spend their last night in their home town before two of them are set to head off to college. Shenanigans ensue.
    It's enjoyable enough, some of the story lines are more enjoyable than others. Toad and the ditzy blonde, for example, I could've done without, or at least with less. Young Richard Dreyfuss reminds me a lot of Paul Rudd.... not in looks, so much, but his facial expressions and line delivery... maybe it's just me.

More importantly..... it's got an amazing soundtrack. 40 of the most incredible 50's/60's tunes.

Oh, and Dazed and Confused must've been heavily influenced by this.... this and drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The King's Speech (2010)

I first saw this film on a transatlantic flight home, shortly after it was released. It's power has not diminished since then. This is quite simply one of the most powerful, understated and wonderful films you could ever watch.

The time period concerned is from 1925 to 1939. This is a tumultuous time for Europe; the inter-war period saw the rise of fascism, Nazism, Communism and saw new orders emerge across the world.

In 1925, King George V (Michael Gambon) is monarch. First in line of succession is his eldest son, Edward (Guy Pearce). Behind Edward, is Albert (Bertie; played by Colin Firth), the next son. Bertie suffers from a severe stammer. This is evidenced from the first time he attempts to make a public speech at the close of the Empire Exhibition.

No amount of doctors, therapists and advisers can seem to help.

At the behest of his wife, who would become the Queen Mother (Helena Bonham Carter), Bertie decides to try Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush). Logue's methods are eccentric and seemingly unbecoming of a Prince of the Realm. But Logue persists and gets Bertie to open up to him and tries to find the root of his stammer. Bertie starts to find his voice.

When George V dies in 1936, Edward will succeed him as King Edward VIII. However, Edward is in love with, and intends to marry, American socialite and divorcee Wallis Simpson. As the Head of the Church of England cannot marry a divorcee, Edward chooses to abdicate the throne. Bertie is suddenly thrust into being King, a job which he did not want. As he confesses tearfully, "I'm not a king, I'm a naval officer. It's all I know."

Logue is also revealed to not be a qualified, accredited doctor, as he was assumed to be. He is just a man who was an actor who helped shell-shocked soldiers returning from World War I. But his methods are working and despite pressure to replace Logue, Bertie stands up for him and keeps him as his advisor and therapist.

The exchange between Logue, as he goads Bertie by slumping into Saint Edward's chair and derides the Stone of Scone, is brilliant.

"Why should I listen to you?"

"Because I deserve to be heard! Because I have a voice!"

"Yes, you do."

As war with Germany looms, Bertie, now King George VI, prepares to address the nation and the empire. This is the eponymous speech. With Logue's guidance and help, he hopes to be able to deliver the speech to his people.

If that scene with the speech does not make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...

This is quite simply a brilliant piece of film-making. Firth and Rush are absolutely superb. Well worth watching. At times touching, at times moving, at times funny. A modern classic and masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The Bothersome Man (2006)

What sacrifices must we make to live together in a utopia? Is the price too high for some? Really enjoyed this clever and nuanced film. 9/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Fatherland" (1994) on YouTube. Another from the alternative history genre. WW.II. ended with the defeat of the Allies and a greater Germany ('Germania") now has been created in the defeated countries of Western Europe. The film is set in 1965 and Hitler's 85th birthday celebrations are underway. Somehow the extermination of the Jews has been kept a secret and Hitler now wishes to conclude a formal peace deal with the USA in order to help him finish off the USSR. Can't say much more without giving away the whole plot. I had memories of watching it years ago and thinking it was a pile of crap but I gave it another whirl last night and was pleasantly surprised!

Rutger Hauer, Miranda Richardson, Peter Vaughan, Michael Kitchen and Jean Marsh star.

600full-fatherland-photo.jpg
    Rutger Hauer (an SS policeman just doing his job) and Miranda Richardson (a US journalist who gets caught up in the crossfire).

A gripping, realistic portrayal of how the 3rd Reich could have turned out
    but with no happy ending
    - and one I will watch again. 9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭8mv

The Debt
    I really enjoyed this - Three Mossad agents are sent to East Berlin in the mid-sixties to capture a Nazi war criminal and bring him back to Israel. Thirty years later, they are feted as heroes, but they carry a secret of what really happened back in Berlin. The action switches from cold war Berlin to modern day and back again, giving us small parts of the story each time.
    Helen Mirren is good as usual and this was the first time I've seen Jessica Chastain - I thought she was excellent. The real star is Jesper Christensen, who steals every scene he's in. Smaller roles for Tom Wilkinson and Ciarán Hinds - both reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
    A bit too manic for my tastes. There were a few laughs in there ("there's a leak in the boat!"), but you just have to give in to a barrage of colours and action. Kids were just happy to be in the cinema!

The World's End:
    I didn't like the start of this (Simon Pegg's character is annoying). When all the others (Frost, Marsan, Considine & Freeman) get together it gets better, but I didn't laugh like I did at Shaun or Hot Fuzz. There were some nice poignant moments about the gang growing up, but these didn't amount to anything. I didn't know much about the story (I deliberately avoided reading about it) so
    the sci-fi shift caught me by surprise. The fight scenes were quite good
    but I don't see myself watching this one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

God I did NOT like The Kings Speech. It was purely Oscar by numbers:
    • Period Drama? Check
    • Upperclass Brit/Royalty? Check
    • Stiff Upper Lip? Check
    • Maverick soul who enters their life? Check
    • Miramax? Check (Well, Weinsteins)
    • Overcoming personal affliction? Check
    • Colin Firth? Check
    • Helena Bonham-Carter without Burton/Depp? Check

OK, it's not that I didn't like it. It's just that it felt like it was made by committee without any deviation or surprises, for one thing: To win an oscar. All it was missing was Helen Mirren.

As for what I watched? Saw The Departed on Film Four so dug out
    Infernal Affairs (Not The Richard Gere flick)
    Similar to it's remake in that it really has the creme-de-la-creme of the region's actors involved: Tony Leung, Andy Lau, Eric Tsang, Anthony Wong, Edison Chen. Eric Tsang's Sam was (IMHO) a much more intimating character than Jack Nicholson. Just quiet intensity that you just didn't trust not to go off at any moment. The style was amazing. (If a bit OTT as Hong Kong cinema can be). As soon as you saw it you KNEW it was gonna get remade eventually. Check it out. Check the trilogy out. The prequel's pretty good too and the sequel's just as good as the original.

I haven't seen "The King's Speech" yet but like your method of analysis. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ben Wheatly's "Down Terrace". Think Mike Leigh kitchen sink drama with added murder and mayhem.

"Gravity". Best Clooney in space flick since "Solaris". And even Kermode rated the 3D element - high praise indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Padjooshea

Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs 2
    You're right. More forced humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Seeking Justice (2011)
    Decent thriller. At first glance this looks like another crappy Nicolas Cage paycheck movie, but it was actually ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Lord of the Rings trilogy at the Light House yesterday.
    One word, EPIC!!!! really enjoyed it, but I really prefer the extended versions.

"Virus" aka "Day of Resurrection" (1980) On YouTube. Japanese made disaster movie with a capital D! An international cast (including George Kennedy, Glenn Ford, Robert Vaughan..) lifts this above the ordinary doomsday movie. A man-made virus is stolen from a laboratory but is accidentally released into the environment with catastrophic global effect. Can't say more without giving away the plot but it's well worth watching and the 2.5 hours passes quickly. 9/10

virus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

God I did NOT like The Kings Speech. It was purely Oscar by numbers:
    • Period Drama? Check
    • Upperclass Brit/Royalty? Check
    • Stiff Upper Lip? Check
    • Maverick soul who enters their life? Check
    • Miramax? Check (Well, Weinsteins)
    • Overcoming personal affliction? Check
    • Colin Firth? Check
    • Helena Bonham-Carter without Burton/Depp? Check

OK, it's not that I didn't like it. It's just that it felt like it was made by committee without any deviation or surprises, for one thing: To win an oscar. All it was missing was Helen Mirren.

As for what I watched? Saw The Departed on Film Four so dug out
    Infernal Affairs (Not The Richard Gere flick)
    Similar to it's remake in that it really has the creme-de-la-creme of the region's actors involved: Tony Leung, Andy Lau, Eric Tsang, Anthony Wong, Edison Chen. Eric Tsang's Sam was (IMHO) a much more intimating character than Jack Nicholson. Just quiet intensity that you just didn't trust not to go off at any moment. The style was amazing. (If a bit OTT as Hong Kong cinema can be). As soon as you saw it you KNEW it was gonna get remade eventually. Check it out. Check the trilogy out. The prequel's pretty good too and the sequel's just as good as the original.

Ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

SarahBM wrote: »
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy at the Light House yesterday.
    One word, EPIC!!!! really enjoyed it, but I really prefer the extended versions.

Have the extended versions at home myself, love them. It takes a good weekend to get through them though, worth every minute :)

Are u getting The Hobbit Extended edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Have the extended versions at home myself, love them. It takes a good weekend to get through them though, worth every minute :)

Are u getting The Hobbit Extended edition?
    Believe it or bot, I only saw the hobbit once, so I think I'd have to see it again before I go get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Gravity.

At IMAX. Survival story, visually simply stunning. The tension all throughout the movie. Time just flies watching it. All the hype about it was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Gravity:
    Definitely needs to be seen in the cinema. Will not be as much fun on a TV screen. The storyline is a bit of a stretch at times, but it doesn't affect the tension and at 90 mins it held the tension all the way though.
    I managed to avoid all reviews etc of this before seeing it. All I knew going in was that it was Clooney and Bullock in space.

Ministry of Fear:
    One of Fritz Lang's American films. Storywise, it's a bit like a Hitchcock film (man in the wrong place at the wrong time) and becomes a bit obvious towards the end. The setup and visuals were quite good. B&W photography was striking at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Lone Star

John Sayles ensemble from the mid 90s. When a corpse is found that turns out to be that of an old sherriff of a Texas border town, the current sherriff sets about trying to solve the mystery of how it got there. The investigation forces him to deal with aspects of his own past when it becomes clear who the main suspect is. It is quite slow moving but the pace suits the story very well. It is also a good snapshot of what it must be like to live in a town so close to the border, with people of several different racial backgrounds trying to coexist in a small area.

All in all, an enjoyable 7/10 which I feel might benefit from another look down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭brevity

Elysium

Directed by Neill Blomkamp, Elysium is a sort of post apocalyptic story of the haves and the have nots. The rich live on Elysium where machines can fix all their ailments and the air is unpolluted. The poor live on Earth, which is a ****hole. Matt Damon
    gets a lethal dose of radiation and
    needs to get to Elysium. With the help of some renegades they devise a plan to help get him there.

I was really looking forward to this despite some poor reviews and I went into it with low expectations but I just found the whole thing so boring. Sharlto Copley is the only interesting thing about this movie and he isn't really in it that much. I didn't really care for Matt Damon's character or what he was trying to do. Some of the shots of Elysium looked quite good I guess but I just couldn't get into it.

Eh...disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bad Grandpa, Jackass offshoot starring Johnny Knoxville. It's just bad. If you've seen the trailer you've seen all the good parts. Waste of money and time getting to and from the cinema! Avoid - and I say this as someone who likes gross-out comedy. 1/10.

Arbitrage on BR. Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and a barely recognisable Tim Roth (complete with a little chubbiness and a beard!) star in the tale of a billionaire whose life and empire are potentially falling apart in front of him and his attempts to save everything. Tense and suspenseful throughout, it's an above average thriller set amongst the backdrop of high-end finance. I found it surprisingly engaging and way better than my expectations. Gere is managing the transition from "film star" to "actor" very well ;), whilst Nate Parker (who I hadn't seen before) is very good in his scenes. A strong 7.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Gravity ("Imax"ish in Parnell St. 3D)

Not a fan of 3D but thought this film made great use of it. (And it used SOUND even better. Every single breath and subdued thump added to the tension).

Thought it was a very good show. Maybe not quite as good as hyped (IMHO) but still a very good show. Very tense (The short running time of 90 mins actually helps actually). A great performance from Bullock. The effects were simply stunning. Very convincing. Especially the exterior scenes (Amazing when the only non-CGI bits in these scenes was the actor's faces). But don't underestimate the power of sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Saw two over the weekend there

Spring Breakers Well. I mean. I don't know. Saw it described as an "art-sploitation" flick somewhere which pretty much nails it. It's an absolutely gorgeous film; the colour is amazing and there's T&A everywhere :D James Franco
    is more or less forced to simulate oral sex on a loaded gun by a girl who used to be on the Disney Channel
    , that actually happens and sums up the whole film to be honest. It's sticking with me though I must say, one of the strangest films I've seen in a long time, certainly for how "mainstream" it is. Right at this moment I think I really like it, but ask me again in an hour 8/10

Prisoners First of all, oooooooh mama this is a long one, just over two and a half hours. It's also the second super-long film I've seen this year starring Hugh Jackman where the opening 45-60 mins are very strong and then it just keeps going for another 90. There's about five different films happening in it.

Good points

Hugh Jackman. He's in so much fluff, and seems such an affable chap IRL that I frequently forget how good he can be in the right kind of serious role. He does a good line in traumatised, screamy men. Perfect casting here, you need someone who's a credible physical threat but you also need a lot of likeability to avoid alienating your audience when
    you beat a mentally disabled man half to death, lock him in a tiny closet and scald him
    . You need to stay mostly on this guy's side for 153 minutes, it's a lot to do and Jackman carries it well.

The violence. There's a lot of it, the most shocking stuff is what you only see the aftermath of. The threat of it is handled really well, Jackman's physical prowess is needed for this. I actually had my hands ready to clamp over my eyes for one scene, and then the worst thing that happened was
    a sink got the **** beaten out of it

It's not spoiling anything to say that the plot revolves around missing children. The families are central characters here and it's very common for films to take cheap emotional shots at the audience, you don't have to work hard to get a big emotional reaction from showing parents break down on screen. Mostly this takes the high-road, it doesn't gild the lily and just leave you feeling used at the end but by god it still gets those reactions without having to show children in distress or have people talk endlessly about how horrible it is. One of the best moments here, and the one when I finally gave up and started crying was very simple:
    police photographs of the bloodstained clothes of small children
    , I don't know if I can recommend this to anybody with small children, I don't have any myself and I'm getting emotional again just thinking of it.

Melissa Leo: she needs to be in more things

The Bad

Long is fine, having to be long because you have a plot like this is NOT OK. It's overly complicated, it takes too long to emerge, and too much stuff happens tbh, you get plot fatigue. By the time
    a man bleeding from a head injury is racing a recently poisoned child to hospital through bad traffic and pouring rain
    I didn't have the energy left to care.

Could have been just a lucky fluke for me, but a visual clue which I thought was blindingly bloody obvious not only took the characters ages to cop on to but apparently wasn't meant to have been completely apparent to me for the 45 minutes it took them.
    the necklace/maze

Don't have your villain stop to explain their motivations, especially when they're that stupid.

If there hadn't been such big problems with all the above the ending would have been great, I think. As it was, when it
    faded to black and you didn't know if stupid Jake Gyllenhal was going to investigate the stupid whistle sound in time
    , there was an audible "ah for ****'s sake" from the row behind me, and I knew how they felt.

Stupid Jake Gyllenhal, I just don't like him.

Edit: If you suffer from herpetophobia/ophidiaphobia, I'd give this one a miss. Figure by using the technical terms those who don't won't get a spoiler and those who do will get a warning, you don't expect it in this kind of film, and it comes out of nowhere

6.5/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Drinking Buddies - another mumblecore director graduates to the relative big time in Joe Swanberg's relationship drama. If you've been anticipating the film set in the world of craft beer (aka if you're a hipster ;)) this is a good start. A relationship drama/comedy focused on two couples, both seemingly destined to break up and pair off with the others. Nothing major happens - a misjudged, awkward kiss is the film's most dramatic incident - but nothing happens well: subtle direction and acting ensuring sexual tension and underlying lusts are implied through glances and seemingly innocent interactions. Everything is boiling underneath the surface, and things don't exactly go as formula would traditionally dictate, opting for something a tad more ambiguous.

Worth watching primarily to finally see Olivia Wilde give the sort of charismatic performance Hollywood has consistently denied her. Equally impressive work from Jake Johnson and Anna Kendrick, the latter of whom further proves she deserves better roles. One of the supporting roles is played by Ti West of House of the Devil fame, which is the kind of geeky detail that is always fun to discover. Nothing remarkable, but a very watchable, well crafted little film.

I finally got to see this today and was quite happy with it - I was reminded lot of Sideways, this has a similarly gentle tone and good, unforced humour throughout. Wilde wasn't exactly amazing, but leaps and bounds better than she has been in the other films in which I've seen her (though to be fair, thus far that's only Tron: Legacy and Cowboys & Aliens); Anna Kendrick and Jake Johnson were both good and had strong on-screen chemistry.

I liked the fact that it played against type and didn't ignore the fact that all the characters were flawed in some fashion or another. In a way it reminded me of Adrian Tomine or Dan Clowes' comics, which are frequently about people who aren't particularly happy or likeable because they have no idea what they actually want from their lives. You wouldn't want to be them or to know them, but they can be fascinating to watch.

I also caught a couple of films at the Korean Film Festival in London - namely Pluto and The Flu. Pluto was a decent thriller, with some lovely visuals and appalling science - cleverly structured and plotted, though still a touch too reminiscent of another film I'll put in spoilers (because the comparison gives away quite a lot)
    2010's Confession
    . The Flu was a fun disaster movie about a mutated flu epidemic hitting a large town on the outskirts of Seoul - it has several very silly moments and is as contrived as any disaster movie, but it also has several great lead performances (including a stellar turn from the child) and a number of very powerful shots. It's OTT in a "go big or go home" sort of way, but the sequence in the middle where
    we discover that the infected are being killed and burned in mass firepits
    is still shocking, for example. And there are some very impressive set pieces. Subtle it is not, but it's deftly-made fun that still incorporates a few thought-provoking moments.

Tomorrow I'm watching An Awful Lot Of Koreans Getting PunchedFists Of Legend at the festival's closing night, and am rather looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll make the wait for The Raid 2 feel shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Gamayun wrote: »
    Stake Land (2010)
    Decent post vampire/zombie apocalypse film. It's kind of like The Road meets 28 Days Later. Looks fantastic despite a relatively low budget ($4m). Enjoyable.

Great film, very under rated. I though it was an instant classic but not many people ended up seeing it.

Riddick : Wasn't expecting much but ended up really enjoying it. It's no Citizen Kane and thank Crom the makers of it don't act like they think they're making anything other than a reasonably dumb action movie. I was never much of a Riddick fan, but after watching this ,I kind of came around. It reminded me a lot of a spaghetti western and it was nice to see they didn't bog down any action with unnecessary dialogue. Vin Diesel is decent enough in it and the rest of the case are unlikable enough that you're glad
    when they inevitably get torn to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Spring Breakers Well. I mean. I don't know. Saw it described as an "art-sploitation" flick somewhere which pretty much nails it. It's an absolutely gorgeous film; the colour is amazing and there's T&A everywhere :D James Franco
    is more or less forced to simulate oral sex on a loaded gun by a girl who used to be on the Disney Channel
    , that actually happens and sums up the whole film to be honest. It's sticking with me though I must say, one of the strangest films I've seen in a long time, certainly for how "mainstream" it is. Right at this moment I think I really like it, but ask me again in an hour 8/10

Prisoners First of all, oooooooh mama this is a long one, just over two and a half hours. It's also the second super-long film I've seen this year starring Hugh Jackman where the opening 45-60 mins are very strong and then it just keeps going for another 90. There's about five different films happening in it.

Good points

Hugh Jackman. He's in so much fluff, and seems such an affable chap IRL that I frequently forget how good he can be in the right kind of serious role. He does a good line in traumatised, screamy men. Perfect casting here, you need someone who's a credible physical threat but you also need a lot of likeability to avoid alienating your audience when
    you beat a mentally disabled man half to death, lock him in a tiny closet and scald him
    . You need to stay mostly on this guy's side for 153 minutes, it's a lot to do and Jackman carries it well.

The violence. There's a lot of it, the most shocking stuff is what you only see the aftermath of. The threat of it is handled really well, Jackman's physical prowess is needed for this. I actually had my hands ready to clamp over my eyes for one scene, and then the worst thing that happened was

It's not spoiling anything to say that the plot revolves around missing children. The families are central characters here and it's very common for films to take cheap emotional shots at the audience, you don't have to work hard to get a big emotional reaction from showing parents break down on screen. Mostly this takes the high-road, it doesn't gild the lily and just leave you feeling used at the end but by god it still gets those reactions without having to show children in distress or have people talk endlessly about how horrible it is. One of the best moments here, and the one when I finally gave up and started crying was very simple:
    , I don't know if I can recommend this to anybody with small children, I don't have any myself and I'm getting emotional again just thinking of it.

The Bad

Long is fine, having to be long because you have a plot like this is NOT OK. It's overly complicated, it takes too long to emerge, and too much stuff happens tbh, you get plot fatigue. By the time
    a man bleeding from a head injury is racing a recently poisoned child to hospital through bad traffic and pouring rain

Could have been just a lucky fluke for me, but a visual clue which I thought was blindingly bloody obvious not only took the characters ages to cop on to but apparently wasn't meant to have been completely apparent to me for the 45 minutes it took them.
    the necklace/maze

Don't have your villain stop to explain their motivations, especially when they're that stupid.

If there hadn't been such big problems with all the above the ending would have been great, I think. As it was, when it
    faded to black and you didn't know if stupid Jake Gyllenhal was going to investigate the stupid whistle sound
    , there was an audible "ah for ****'s sake" from the row behind me, and I knew how they felt.

Edit: If you suffer from herpetophobia/ophidiaphobia, I'd give this one a miss. Figure by using the technical terms those who don't won't get a spoiler and those who do will get a warning, you don't expect it in this kind of film, and it comes out of nowhere

6.5/10

I really liked prisoners, one of the better films I've seen in a while. I can see your points about the plot being overly complicated, they kinda tried to do too much with it.

I think Gyllenhal is very good in it, but I am a fan so maybe bias. 6.5 seems a bit low to me, solid 8 in my book with the ending being particularly satisfying.

also I don't see anything ambiguous about the ending especially given the inquisitive nature of our god damn hero cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

GETAWAY

Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez, Jon Voight.

Beyond abysmal. Fast and furious 6 was better and that was a steaming pile of dog turd. Have great respect for Hawke and obviously Voight as actors. How they ever got involved in this is a mystery. Gomez coudn't act her way out of a paper bag.

Stay away at all costs. Not even the car chase scenes i.e. 90 % of the movie are worth watching. Theres a twist at the end that had me head in hands its so bad.

Terrible terrible movie. I feel cheated even watching it for free. If I'd paid good money to see it i'd be raging.

Nearly recommend it to see how bad others think it is.

1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Good points

The Bad

the necklace/maze

faded to black and you didn't know if stupid Jake Gyllenhal was going to investigate the stupid whistle sound

6.5/10

I thought Prisoners was good but not great. I thought Jackman was a bit ott. Dano, better than he was in there will be blood, was great. Nice review but calling Gyllenhal "stupid" just because you don't like him makes you sound like a 13 year old. His character did some stupid things. You may not like him as an actor but he is recognised as a talented actor. I would say way ahead of Jackman. Anyway each to their own.

If you do mean his character was stupid about the whistle thing rewatch the film. Its obvious what happens.

• Advertisement

"We'll Support you Evermore" (1985) on DVD. Made for TV movie starring John Thaw as a father whose son (a British soldier) is shot dead in Belfast but refuses to accept the official version of events. In a desperate attempt to establish the truth - for his own piece of mind - he travels to Belfast to attend the trial of the man accused of his son's murder.
    One of the most realistic dramas that I've watched about "The Troubles" and filmed on location in Belfast in dangerous times. Everything from the dereliction, ever present helicopters, soldiers, RUC/Army landrovers, control zones - it's the Belfast that I remember. Available from Amazon. 8/10

we-ll-support-you-evermore.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement