Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The hunger Games

Was on over crimbo and decided to give it a shot. For the first hour or so I was surprised because I was thinking it was actually a good movie. But then it went all to hell and became super crap. Jennifer Lawrence was great in it though.

Toy Story 3

Im probably the only person on the planet whos never seen any of the Toy story movies. Overly knowing animated films was never my thing but again this was on over christmas and I said I'd watch half an hour to see if it was any use.
    Not blown away by it or anything but it was alright, not bad at all. ALthough I turned into a bit of a girls blouse at the end when Andy gives his toys to the little girl before he heads off to college. That got me big time.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

If Winter's Bone is an accurate representation of the Ozarks I'm not sure why anyone would make one visit never mind multiple ones.

Well... Is Game of Thrones representative of the north?

Ahem. Best not answer that.

Seriously though, I grew up in Arkansas which has a chunk of the Ozarks. One of the biggest cities in the states is in the Ozarks and is surrounded by awful awful racists and idiots.

If you need evidence:

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryid=3658#

It's also (sort of) the home of Wal-Mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,703 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bad Grandpa (2013)

Johnny Knoxville plays a foul mouthed/minded old man, very recent widower and unwilling guardian to his 8 year old grandson as they travel across America to reunite the boy with his deadbeat father.

Fooking hell. And I thought nothing could top Borat. As a hidden camera comedy goes, I think this takes the cake! Some hilarious set pieces that really pushed the envelope. Good taste couldn't really be mentioned in the same sentence in this film or, indeed, anywhere in it's near vicinity.
    The restraint of the public was incredible in their interaction with Knoxville's character. How he didn't get a whollop from at least one of them, I do not know. I'm guessing that at the point the film makers felt that was about to happen, they stepped in and announced the prank.

If Winter's Bone is an accurate representation of the Ozarks I'm not sure why anyone would make one visit never mind multiple ones.

I suppose it's a bit like saying Garage is an accurate representation of life in a small, presumably midlands, country town in Ireland. On the one hand, you could take it as accurate but it all depends on what you take from these places, really. There's a great scene in Winter's Bone where the girl walks into a little informal gathering where some of the older folks are picking and singing their way through a few tunes and it's a nice cultural moment that softens up the glum image that the film was portraying earlier. It brought some brightness into the thing. Badly needed, but also showing that there's bad everywhere and there's good everywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Well... Is Game of Thrones representative of the north?

It's also (sort of) the home of Wal-Mart.

GoT is filmed in the North, it's not set there.

Not to get too off topic but.... have you ever been to a Piggly Wiggly? :D

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    I suppose it's a bit like saying Garage is an accurate representation of life in a small, presumably midlands, country town in Ireland. On the one hand, you could take it as accurate but it all depends on what you take from these places, really. There's a great scene in Winter's Bone where the girl walks into a little informal gathering where some of the older folks are picking and singing their way through a few tunes and it's a nice cultural moment that softens up the glum image that the film was portraying earlier. It brought some brightness into the thing. Badly needed, but also showing that there's bad everywhere and there's good everywhere.

I think Garage is a fairly accurate representation of rural Irish life. Obviously it focuses on one persons story and you wouldn't say that the exact same thing happens in every single town but the overall attitudes and lifestyles were fairly spot on.
    Obviously not everyone in the Ozarks lives in abject poverty and eats squirrel's and beats up young girls and what not, but overall it looked a fairly bleak place. Also, I did say IF it's an accurate representation, I never said it was.

Specifically, the one in Yazoo.

Oh yes.

briany wrote: »
    Specifically, the one in Yazoo.

Maybe actually. Been to Yazoo!

And have been to more than one Woolworths. ;)

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Maybe actually. Been to Yazoo!

And have been to more than one Woolworths. ;)

Well, we have/had Woolworths here, that's no great shakes. I though they made up the Piggly Wiggly in Sweet Home Alabama but then I actually saw it in Mud. :D

• Advertisement

Well, we have/had Woolworths here, that's no great shakes. I though they made up the Piggly Wiggly in Sweet Home Alabama but then I actually saw it in Mud. :D

Even more rare is the Kroger, Safeway or Big Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The Master (2012)

Paul Thomas Anderson's most opinion splitting work to date. You can tell the Malick/Kubrick influences are too the fore but with his own slant on it rather then a rip off. Awesome performance from Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams give great performances too but it's Phoenix's film all the way. Best Film of 2012 and still a masterpiece of what Hollywood can still do when they are willing to take risks.

Filth (2013)

The best adaption of a Irvine Welsh novel since Trainspotting, this film along with Danny Boyle's Trance show that James McAvoy on his day is as good as anyone. This is his best performance and he gives it his all in a film that many either felt has a really nasty streak or it's funny as hell. Eddie Marsan, Shirley Henderson and Jamie Bell give great performances in smaller roles. But this is McAvoy's film all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,178 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Hanover Street'

WWII fluff starring Harrison Ford, fresh from the Millennium Falcon, and Lesley Anne Down as star crossed lovers who, unconvincingly, meet and immediately fall for each other on the street the film is named after. Unfortunately, for Harry, his posh English totty is married to Christopher Plumber, who works for British intelligence. Eventually, the two men are thrown together, in an equally unlikely affair (no, not that sort of affair), as they crash land in France and have to evade the Germans to get back to England.

'Hanover Street' really was a huge step down for Ford, after riding the incredible high of 'Star Wars'. His character is a mish-mash of cliche and poor writing, with a central love story that never once manages to convince the viewer. Lesley Anne Down remains easy on the eye, but her character is just as ridiculous and frankly, not all that sympathetic either, even though the story tries to pass her off as some poor "love struck" woman who simply cannot help cheating on her husband with the suave American bomber pilot.

Plumber comes off a little better, but again, he just plays Christopher Plumber, so there are no surprises there.

'Hanover Street' looks quite polished, with some pleasing period detail and the use of real vintage aircraft is definitely a boon, even if the B-25 was more at home in the Pacific. But the awful story, which may have been somewhat forgivable, if it had been made in the 50's, is just terrible in the post-Vietnam reality of the 70's.

4/10

hanover-street.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Only god forgives - Biggest crock of shít ever made.
    The way way back - Awesome feel good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Riddick (2013) if your a fan of the first movie it's worth a watch. I like the character riddick so i sat through it.id you've nothing else to do watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

12 Years a Slave - I might actually pay into the cinema to watch this again. This one will stick with you for years to come.

Blue Jasmine - made by any other director this would be slated as absolue rubbish. Jennifer Aniston made some crap movies like this after Friends.

American Hustle - solid enough but overhyped.

Gravity - quiet and understated. Watch it on a small screen when you get a chance so you can appreciate the acting as well as the much vaunted special effects. Sandra Bullock proves ahe can act and George Clooney does a very good impression of George Clooney in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

How to Meet Girls From a Distance

Simple New Zealand film. It's a light hearted romantic comedy about a shy dude who stalks women in order to learn all about them, then ask them out.

There's some pacing problems with it. At a nice 90 or so minutes long, you won't be taking much time out of your day. I would have trimmed a fair few bits, and expanded on others. Certain scenes happen and then nothing comes of them, despite a fairly nice set up. I couldn't stand the best friends girlfriend, but I guess that was the point. My favourite character, Helen, didn't get nearly enough screen time. I'd just make a movie about her. The secondary male character provided most of the laughs. It's got that New Zealand humour, like Flight of the Concords. It could have been much, much better, but it's not a bad film. Give it a shot if you're into romantic comedies that aren't all mushy and stupid, like Year of the Carnivore, that sort of thing. 6 / 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Sightseers.

Very odd film from Ben Wheatley. Dark comedy with some great lines and ridiculous situations. Spent the whole film chuckling "the f*ck" to myself.

The Summit

Watched this last night, along with the rest of the country if twitter is anything to go by.

Interesting documentary about an expedition to climb K2 in 2008 where 11 climbers, including 1 Irish man, died in less than clear circumstances. The problem being that the only people who know anything about what happened were the handful of survivors and they were all telling different stories.

The whole thing seemed like a cluster f**k from the start and personally I blame the Koreans, multiple times :)

My only issue with this was that the Irish guy's family seemed to be quite involved in the film and they were allowed put their own views across almost as fact rather than as theories or opinions. Granted, the evidence that the film puts forward seems to indicate that they're right.

I also wasn't sure the old Italian guy was necessary but towards the end I thought it's probably meant to illustrate the point that people believe what they're told until they're told something else.

A.C.O.D.

A dude, an Adult Child Of Divorce, acts as the go between for his parents when his younger brother decides to get married.

Every so often, I'll see a film which I feel like I've wasted my time on. I made a decision to watch one movie I haven't seen before every night. This movie ruined my night. Is it a bad movie? No. So is it a good one? No. It's a really, really predictable and boring one. You could call the plot way before it happened. Reading reviews, people have said you'll get it if you're an A.C.O.D. I am. I get it. It's a boring movie. They've also said that the cast members Lynch, Poehler, O'Hara and Jenkins are the only thing that stand out. For me, it's not because they provide the laughs. It's because having a cast like that in a film this excruciatingly boring is insane. How did that even happen? Just mental.

4 / 10. Veers dangerously close to being plain bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Riddick (2013) if your a fan of the first movie it's worth a watch. I like the character riddick so i sat through it.id you've nothing else to do watch it.
    Thought it was very disappointing,weakest of the 3 movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

The Way, Way Back.
    Brilliant. Not the typical coming of age story.
    He didn't get the girl

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Thought it was very disappointing,weakest of the 3 movies.

Weaker than TCoR?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A.C.O.D.

A dude, an Adult Child Of Divorce, acts as the go between for his parents when his younger brother decides to get married.

Every so often, I'll see a film which I feel like I've wasted my time on. I made a decision to watch one movie I haven't seen before every night. This movie ruined my night. Is it a bad movie? No. So is it a good one? No. It's a really, really predictable and boring one. You could call the plot way before it happened. Reading reviews, people have said you'll get it if you're an A.C.O.D. I am. I get it. It's a boring movie. They've also said that the cast members Lynch, Poehler, O'Hara and Jenkins are the only thing that stand out. For me, it's not because they provide the laughs. It's because having a cast like that in a film this excruciatingly boring is insane. How did that even happen? Just mental.

4 / 10. Veers dangerously close to being plain bad.

I'd avoid "Friends with Kids" like the plague then if I were you! ;) Reviewed by me a few pages back and both "starring" Adam Scott. The OH tried to get me to watch this as I too am an A.C.O.D. but I just can't do it…….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Sightseers.

Very odd film from Ben Wheatley. Dark comedy with some great lines and ridiculous situations. Spent the whole film chuckling "the f*ck" to myself.
    Yeah, his stuff is great. Is the fcuk you are referring to when
    the dog licked him up the hole?

That really cracked me up.

^ Slightly off topic but I was reading today that Wheatley is directing an episode of Doctor Who. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

12 Years a Slave - I might actually pay into the cinema to watch this again. This one will stick with you for years to come.

Blue Jasmine - made by any other director this would be slated as absolue rubbish. Jennifer Aniston made some crap movies like this after Friends.

American Hustle - solid enough but overhyped.

Gravity - quiet and understated. Watch it on a small screen when you get a chance so you can appreciate the acting as well as the much vaunted special effects. Sandra Bullock proves ahe can act and George Clooney does a very good impression of George Clooney in space.

This makes no sense at all.

This makes no sense at all.

It does make sense. If anyone other than Woody Allen had made Blue Jasmine it'd be slated as rubbish. Then they liken it to any one of the terrible films that Aniston made after finishing Friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It does make sense. If anyone other than Woody Allen had made Blue Jasmine it'd be slated as rubbish. Then they liken it to any one of the terrible films that Aniston made after finishing Friends.
    Doesn't really given how Woody himself has made a handful of films that were panned.

I simply can't see Aniston playing this sort of character and giving as much to the role. It's a really strange comparison to make.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    Doesn't really given how Woody himself has made a handful of films that were panned.

I simply can't see Aniston playing this sort of character and giving as much to the role. It's a really strange comparison to make.

I didn't say I agreed with it. Nor did the post I replied to say they disagreed. They said it didn't make sense. I assumed they meant they didn't understand it as it's not the best phrased review I've ever seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement