Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Woody Allen is really a love him or hate him kind of director, he's made the odd good movie but I never understand why he's treated like a god by some people. Every film he's made in the past few years has been a return to form.

anyway

Sideways (2004)

Alexander Payne's Crowning moment and has of yet not topped this amazing funny yet touching film. Paul Giametti will never get a great a role as this, he gives what could have been a bit of bastard a heart and he makes us feel for him. The Scene
    After he finds out his ex wife is remarrying and the way he loses control and is eased by just touching the grapes in the vineyard is extremely touching
    . Thomas Hayden Church was hilarious as his ex-college roommate/infantile thirtysomething playboy buddy who can't let go of the single life, a role George Clooney wanted but Payne though was far too good looking. Virgina Madsen is also extremely good as Giametti love interest, she melts your heart in every scene she's in. One of the best Films of the last 20 years for me 10/10

Dazed and Confused (1993)

outside the Before.. Trilogy, Richard Linklater's crowning glory as a Director/Writer, it still holds up after repeated viewings with an awesome soundtrack and some amazing performances especially by Matthew Mcconaughey, who's is the meaning of the word "Cool" in this. Good performances from Ben Affleck (playing a right asshole) and Parker Posey (playing a right bitch). Dazed and Confused" is a brilliant ensemble piece rivaling anything done by Robert Altman that covers the broadest spectrum of teenagers imaginable. You get the nerd, the jocks and the stoners plus everything inbetween but Linklater and the actors makes us love them and want to be there. 10/10

Lone Star (1996)

John Sayles best film for me, great performance from the brilliant Chris Cooper and a dark turn from Kris Kristofferson as the corrupt sheriff. A small but impressive turn from Matthew McConaughey in the flashback as Cooper's dad who seem's like more of a Burden to Cooper chararcter then the hero. Frances McDormand has a small role but is very impressive as Cooper's ex-wife. While Elizabeth Peña, so often dumped with almost token Espanic roles is given a real good part and works with it well as Cooper's long lost love. The ending
    That Cooper and Pena's lovers are actually brother and sister and decide to stay together might shock a few still as it's not made a big deal off
    . 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

American Hustle.

Pretty good.
    Laughed at Cooper's curls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Waking Sleeping Beauty (2009), a documentary covering the fall and rise/rebirth of Walt Disney Animation Studios from the late 1970's to the mid-1990's.

When you think of Disney films, you think of the limitless, boundless success Disney enjoys. You think of such seminal, magical films as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, The Lion King, Beauty And The Beast, Pinocchio, Bambi and so on.

However, by the late 1970's, Disney (in particular its animated division; once the jewel of Disney's crown) had fallen on hard times. Polls conducted amongst teenagers in America at the time found that most would not be caught dead at a Disney film in the cinema. The original animators of Walt Disney's era were nearing retirement. The new blood brought in were brash and some left to form their own animation studios.

In 1985, the criminally underrated The Black Cauldron was released. The film ran over-budget and cost Disney $44 million to make; despite excellent reviews, it recouped less than $22 million at the box-office. The Black Cauldron was slaughtered at the box office by The Care Bears Movie. It was a low point for Disney Animated Studios.

Forced to vacate the Inking and Painting Building in Disney Studios (where the animation wing had been housed since the 1930's), the animation division was flung into a state of disarray. As Jeffrey Katzenberg, a new executive brought in to turn Disney's fortunes around, put it: "We need to wake up [the] Sleeping Beauty".

Less than 10 years later, what an awakening she had; Who Framed Roger Rabbit and then The Little Mermaid saw Disney's star start to rise and shine brightly once again. But it was really the triple whammy of Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin and of course The Lion King that saw Disney return to the front of the world of film animation once again.

For someone who grew up in the era this documentary covers and who grew up watching these films, I could not help but feel a huge degree of nostalgia and sentimentality as I watched it. I never knew a world where Disney were not seen as pretty much the kings of animated films. It was shocking how much the animation wing of Disney was struggling in the late 1970's and up to the late 1980's.

But with a few dedicated and visionary people at the helm, the dream would not die. The dream came back and the dream flourished once again.

Say what you will about Disney and the ruthlessness with which they can conduct their business at times, they make some wonderful films. The magic you felt as a kid when you first saw Belle and the Beast dancing, when Aladdin whisked Jasmine to a whole new world, when we had no worries for the rest of our days with Simba... there was nothing quite like it. The Disney films can capture the imagination like no other and to this day the (several) Golden Era(s) of Disney films remain the watermark to which all other animated films will be judged.

This documentary sums up that era of trial and tribulation so well. When you're finished watching it, you want nothing more than to stick on a few of those films that you watched as a kid and indulge in a little escapism and nostalgia.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Looper007 wrote: »
    Woody Allen is really a love him or hate him kind of director, he's made the odd good movie but I never understand why he's treated like a god by some people. Every film he's made in the past few years has been a return to form.

anyway

Sideways (2004)

Alexander Payne's Crowning moment and has of yet not topped this amazing funny yet touching film. Paul Giametti will never get a great a role as this, he gives what could have been a bit of bastard a heart and he makes us feel for him. The Scene
    After he finds out his ex wife is remarrying and the way he loses control and is eased by just touching the grapes in the vineyard is extremely touching
    . Thomas Hayden Church was hilarious as his ex-college roommate/infantile thirtysomething playboy buddy who can't let go of the single life, a role George Clooney wanted but Payne though was far too good looking. Virgina Madsen is also extremely good as Giametti love interest, she melts your heart in every scene she's in. One of the best Films of the last 20 years for me 10/10

Dazed and Confused (1993)

outside the Before.. Trilogy, Richard Linklater's crowning glory as a Director/Writer, it still holds up after repeated viewings with an awesome soundtrack and some amazing performances especially by Matthew Mcconaughey, who's is the meaning of the word "Cool" in this. Good performances from Ben Affleck (playing a right asshole) and Parker Posey (playing a right bitch). Dazed and Confused" is a brilliant ensemble piece rivaling anything done by Robert Altman that covers the broadest spectrum of teenagers imaginable. You get the nerd, the jocks and the stoners plus everything inbetween but Linklater and the actors makes us love them and want to be there. 10/10

Lone Star (1996)

John Sayles best film for me, great performance from the brilliant Chris Cooper and a dark turn from Kris Kristofferson as the corrupt sheriff. A small but impressive turn from Matthew McConaughey in the flashback as Cooper's dad who seem's like more of a Burden to Cooper chararcter then the hero. Frances McDormand has a small role but is very impressive as Cooper's ex-wife. While Elizabeth Peña, so often dumped with almost token Espanic roles is given a real good part and works with it well as Cooper's long lost love. The ending
    That Cooper and Pena's lovers are actually brother and sister and decide to stay together might shock a few still as it's not made a big deal off
    . 9/10

Lone Star is spectacular. Need to dig that out again. Thanks for the reminder.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

DazMarz wrote: »
    Waking Sleeping Beauty (2009), a documentary covering the fall and rise/rebirth of Walt Disney Animation Studios from the late 1970's to the mid-1990's.

For someone who grew up in the era this documentary covers and who grew up watching these films, I could not help but feel a huge degree of nostalgia and sentimentality as I watched it. I never knew a world where Disney were not seen as pretty much the kings of animated films. It was shocking how much the animation wing of Disney was struggling in the late 1970's and up to the late 1980's.

But with a few dedicated and visionary people at the helm, the dream would not die. The dream came back and the dream flourished once again.

Say what you will about Disney and the ruthlessness with which they can conduct their business at times, they make some wonderful films. The magic you felt as a kid when you first saw Belle and the Beast dancing, when Aladdin whisked Jasmine to a whole new world, when we had no worries for the rest of our days with Simba... there was nothing quite like it. The Disney films can capture the imagination like no other and to this day the (several) Golden Era(s) of Disney films remain the watermark to which all other animated films will be judged.

This documentary sums up that era of trial and tribulation so well. When you're finished watching it, you want nothing more than to stick on a few of those films that you watched as a kid and indulge in a little escapism and nostalgia.

I must try to see this one. I've mentioned before how I feel no nostalgia or fondness for any of Disney's animated films. I'm sure I saw all the ones released in my childhood but they don't hold any great place in my heart. Would be interested to see if a mass onslaught of them in one place like this would do anything for me. :D

• Advertisement

I must try to see this one. I've mentioned before how I feel no nostalgia or fondness for any of Disney's animated films. I'm sure I saw all the ones released in my childhood but they don't hold any great place in my heart. Would be interested to see if a mass onslaught of them in one place like this would do anything for me. :D

It's a good documentary.

And maybe I'm a bit mawkish or something, but I loved Disney films as a kid. They do hold a very special place in my heart, along with Star Wars.

It's like the ultimate irony now, isn't it? Disney are going to release Star Wars films in the next few years. It's like my ultimate childhood dream come true.

Sad part; it could turn into a bloody nightmare!!!

DazMarz wrote: »
    It's like the ultimate irony now, isn't it? Disney are going to release Star Wars films in the next few years. It's like my ultimate childhood dream come true.

Sad part; it could turn into a bloody nightmare!!!

Star Wars starring Mickey Mouse as Luke and sound tracked by Elton John.

"Can you feeeel the force tonight.....

Star Wars starring Mickey Mouse as Luke and sound tracked by Elton John.

"Can you feeeel the force tonight.....

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Watched 12 years a slave tonight, the story is very good (in terms of source material), the acting is for the most part good, some hammy moments, same with the camera work

I dunno, just didnt suck me in I guess, overall I would just have to say it was, meh

It had its moments but never really caught fire for me, I was expecting more, not the films fault in itself really, just hearing so many positive reviews I guess. Felt it was slightly self indulgent in parts. The characters outside of the main guy never really interested me, and at that he was so reserved until the end of the film I never really cared enough about him to really get into it.

I dunno how to explain it, I should have probably gone to bed and tried to write this in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

The Parallax View:
    I love American paranoia films from the 70's, but I've never liked this one. I watch it every few years in case there's something I am missing, but it always underwhelms me. The story is too simple and is peppered with action scenes that make no sense
    Beatty gets into a fight in a bar for no reason other than he orders a glass of milk. Him and the other guy then spend 5 minutes beating the crap out of each other.
    The only part I enjoy is the cinematography: impenetrable shadows that you only get from films around this time. I wonder if any modern film would have the guts to shoot like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Go to see The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday. You likely know the protagonists at this stage - Scorsese directs DiCaprio, Jonah Hill (and his teeth - you'll get it when you see the movie), Kyle Chandler and an unexpectedly good and altogether too brief turn from Matthew McConaghey in what has to be an ode to Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman from American Psycho (from costume to hair to speech); aided by the very sexy (and she knows it) Aussie Margot Robbie, Rob Reiner, Jon Favreau, Spike Jonze, Joanna Lumley and others. DiCaprio is becoming something of modern day Jack Nicholson for me (insofar as he always just seems to play himself anymore) but his performance in this is for me, his best in years - he does coked off his bins very well! :D Some of his motivational speeches to his sales team are hilarious, but if you've read books like Binge Trading or City Boy you'll know how real and yet crazy these are. It's entertaining in that 80s excess way (again American Psycho and Wall Street spring to mind) and fills its 3 hours effortlessly (I was surprised it was that long when I left the screening). Jonah Hill is excellent (and it almost pains me to say that) and almost steals this movie from under DiCaprio's quiff. If I were to be hyper critical, Robbie's accent is a bit all over the place at times, but that's a minor quibble. Otherwise, throughly deserving of an 8/10.

^ I still can't believe Margot Robbie (aka Donna off Neighbours) is a Hollywood star :)

^ I still can't believe Margot Robbie (aka Donna off Neighbours) is a Hollywood star :)

Wait 'til you see her in this……….:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edit: Sorry, should clarify I've not seen Neighbours since Holly Valance left (;)) so have no idea what Margot was like in it.

Wait 'til you see her in this……….:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edit: Sorry, should clarify I've not seen Neighbours since Holly Valance left (;)) so have no idea what Margot was like in it.

To be honest I thought she was brilliant on Neighbours, or as brilliant as one can be on a show of such quality ;) She really stood out, I stopped watching after she left.

To be honest I thought she was brilliant on Neighbours, or as brilliant as one can be on a show of such quality ;) She really stood out, I stopped watching after she left.

Yeah, I felt the same when Mondo left Fair City.

JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I felt the same when Mondo left Fair City.

JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand these words :confused:

I don't understand these words :confused:

Not sure are you being serious or taking the proverbial there?

Not sure are you being serious or taking the proverbial there?

Attempt at humour.

Anyway....

I watched Buffalo 66 this morning.

Vincent Gallo plays Billy, released from prison after 5 years for a crime he didn't actually do he heads back to his old neighbourhood. He hasn't told his parents he's been in jail, instead he's lied to them that he's married and has a good job and is only back in town for a one day visit. In a panic he kidnaps a girl (Christina Ricci) and forces (kind of) her into pretending to be his wife, which she takes to a little bit too well.

This kind of reminded me of Silver Linings Playbook. Messed up guy meets equally messed up girl, they end up helping one another, parents obsessed with local football team, hell, there's even a bit of dancing in it! It's much darker that SLP, and there's no attempt to be a rom com. Gallo is excellent as Billy but Ricci's character feels underdeveloped. There's no attempt to explain why she's so willing to go along with Billy's lies, other than she comes across as a bit of an outsider herself.

Still, a good watch and Vincent Gallo running in giant red platform boots is my new favourite thing.

Attempt at humour.

Anyway....

I watched Buffalo 66 this morning.

Vincent Gallo plays Billy, released from prison after 5 years for a crime he didn't actually do he heads back to his old neighbourhood. He hasn't told his parents he's been in jail, instead he's lied to them that he's married and has a good job and is only back in town for a one day visit. In a panic he kidnaps a girl (Christina Ricci) and forces (kind of) her into pretending to be his wife, which she takes to a little bit too well.

This kind of reminded me of Silver Linings Playbook. Messed up guy meets equally messed up girl, they end up helping one another, parents obsessed with local football team, hell, there's even a bit of dancing in it! It's much darker that SLP, and there's no attempt to be a rom com. Gallo is excellent as Billy but Ricci's character feels underdeveloped. There's no attempt to explain why she's so willing to go along with Billy's lies, other than she comes across as a bit of an outsider herself.

Still, a good watch and Vincent Gallo running in giant red platform boots is my new favourite thing.

Cool, have that somewhere but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Cool, have that somewhere but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

It's excellent, haven't seen it in a few years but one of my favourites. I liked how little was said about Ricci's motivations too, thought the performance was strong enough to add depth on its own and I think it would have actually detracted from the film if it was gone in to.

• Advertisement

Hated Buffalo 66 with a passion.

But.

It did have one amazing trailer.

http://youtu.be/DfLLwP6AY6A[/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I Declare Ware

A group of kids play intense games of capture the flag, but soon the game gets too real.

After the travesty of A.C.O.D., I was determined to watch something good last night. An all child cast who aren't too bad. A couple of not-so-great performances, but you can let it slide. You see part of the movie through their eyes, where the sticks become shotguns, uzis, even a bazooka. The effects are really very good, the lighting is fantastic, the cinematography is nice, and the script is pretty much how me and my group of friends talked when we were kids, all foul mouthed and kind of stupid.

I guess you could say it's one part War Of The Buttons, one part Lord Of The Flies. It was really fun to watch, and got really intense at times. I got sucked in. Growing up, playing war could be more than just a game. It took me right back to my time spent up trees, walking around silently waiting for the enemy.

Already ordered the movie. Really recommended! 8 / 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Watched the Wolf of Wall Street tonight, really enjoyed it I must say, the hot women helped Im sure (Leo's wife is super hot) but it was a lot of fun other then that, Leo is on form. It could have felt very long at its 3 hour run time but it didnt, shame MM's cameo was so short, he looked like a fun character too :)

dont wanna say a whole lot about the film for those who are yet to see it, just that it was very good

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gangster Squad - Awful awful movie. Too much to list wrong with it. Avoid.

Hummingbird - Pretty good for a Jason Statham movie. I love the easy viewing of Statham's movies but this was different. Darker and emotional, still some kung fu fight scenes but all around a decent movie.

Untouchables - A classic, saw it again the other night. Connery is brilliant in it. I seemed to be humming the backing violin music to it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

All is Lost. Life Of Pi (recent expample) without the animals or mystery. Not a a bad film but not new or original. Kind of like how Gravity is spectacular to people who havent seen ANY space docs or The Right Stuff.
    Populist Oscar goes to.....either film
    Anybody who rates it higher, loves seabiscuit. Yes i went there???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Stella Dallas Had seen it before but needed to re-watch for a college assignment. Starring the frankly fantastic Barbara Stanwyck (I have her entire filmography downloaded and ready to go for whenever I get some free time), it's a stone cold weepie classic. For a melodrama the score is actually very unintrusive and used to brilliant effect in a few scenes-the mournful reworkings of Happy Birthday, Silent Night and The wedding March at pivotal points really contribute to getting the hankies out. Stanwyck and Anne Shirley are brilliant in it, it's ably acted all round and there's a surprising amount of laughs given the age of the film (from 1937) and the subject matter. But that last scene will get you. A really touching film, highly recommended. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

rob316 wrote: »
    Gangster Squad - Awful awful movie. Too much to list wrong with it. Avoid.

Hummingbird - Pretty good for a Jason Statham movie. I love the easy viewing of Statham's movies but this was different. Darker and emotional, still some kung fu fight scenes but all around a decent movie.

Untouchables - A classic, saw it again the other night. Connery is brilliant in it. I seemed to be humming the backing violin music to it all the time.

I wonder if gangster squad was made in the 80s would it be considered a classic. Its got some striking similarities to the untouchables and if you asked me to sit down and watch one of them now it would be a difficult decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Captain Philips - very good, and I'm not a Hanks fan.

Gravity - also very good. Would loved to have seen it in 3D.

American Hustle - very good but found it very long, seemed to last forever. Acting great all round, Bale and Lawrence especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Infestation its a leave the brain at home type of movie really enjoyed it

• Advertisement

Spring Summer Fall Winter ...and Spring

Ki-duk Kim's best movie - IMO - was due for a rewatch so seeing as it was on telly last night I dove in again.

If you've never seen it, it's plot is very simple: a boy grows up in a small floating Buddhist temple, in the middle of a lake, with his master. Each phase of his life is represented by a season - making the movie episodic, but not in a frustrating way.

One of the better reviewed movies of 2003, Ebert went so far as to include it in his "Great Movies" list.

So, 11 years later, is it still as great?

Absolutely.

If you know a bit about Buddhism the entire thing plays out like religious parable, but even if you don't the story and acting and direction are so perfectly realised that - even with its deliberate pacing, sex, and animal cruelity (!) it's a perpetual classic.

9.5/10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement