Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'll have to give it a look again at some point. Maybe knowing the ending lessens the WTF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'll have to give it a look again at some point. Maybe knowing the ending lessens the WTF.

I watched it and felt a bit peeved like yourself but after reading the below explanation it made total sense. I watched again and appreciated it a lot more. One of the better films I've seen over the last couple of years.

If you haven't seen it, don't read it. Very spoilerific:

http://www.holymoly.com/film-dvd/blog/kill-list-what’s-it-all-about-then61097

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah, I just felt it had been set up perfectly for something more sinister to happen. His victims
    smiling and saying 'thank you' and knowing who he was
    I thought was leading to something that had happened in
    'Kiev' ie. Has he blanked out who he was or what he did ? PTS disorder ??
    Just felt the ending was a bit of a cop-out. Even the big reveal/twist was a bit...meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Yeah, I just felt it had been set up perfectly for something more sinister to happen. His victims
    smiling and saying 'thank you' and knowing who he was
    I thought was leading to something that had happened in
    'Kiev' ie. Has he blanked out who he was or what he did ? PTS disorder ??
    Just felt the ending was a bit of a cop-out. Even the big reveal/twist was a bit...meh!
    I think the best way to watch that movie is having heard nothing about it. I've watched it three or four times now and read a lot about it online. The story does make sense from what I've read.

The first time i watched it though i hadnt a fooking clue what was going on in the end.

I think the best way to watch that movie is having heard nothing about it. I've watched it three or four times now and read a lot about it online. The story does make sense from what I've read.

The first time i watched it though i hadnt a fooking clue what was going on in the end.

I watched it without knowing anything about it though, apart from two lads have a kill list. Think it may be one to re-watch again alright. Even thinking about it now..
    fiona the girlfriend being in "HR".."removing" people
    ..small things like that you dont cop onto the first time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The World's End

Pretty average comedy, a few laughs in it but not really all that great. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead by the same guys. Over used the fighting and brawling scenes, some of which was funny but got tired very quickly - I hate prolonged fight scenes in nearly all movies.

Rush

Can't remember if I posted this last week, but wasn't bowled over by this. Sport films rarely do it for me as they often steer close to the same cheesy Hollywood style. Also I wouldn't be a fan of F1 at all, but it was a damn sight scarier in the past than it is now. Some of the race scenes were pretty great although short lived. Had been thoroughly recommended to me by two friends who I would generally agree with but overall not terrible but disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! (1978) (As this is a Horror PG movie)

This plot as got to be one of the most silly and so ridiculous and yet, the movie still works!

As this was one hell of a fun movie to watch, I actually could not stop laughing with this movie.

From the acting, to the tomatoes moving by them selves and killing people too but I could have done without the singing and dancing scenes, that was far too silly even for this silly movie.

The ending could have be better as I wanted the Tomatoes to fight back but they just took it staying still, they could have made some of the tomatoes jump on people faces or something.

Fun movie 6 out of 10

Return of the Killer Tomatoes! (1988)
    I don't think this any were near as fun or as funny as first movie.

I found it's take a while for anything to really happen, I was not laughing at this movie as much as I though I would.

This movie did have a bigger budget and the acting is better in this sequel was better but down side to this movie was there was no tomatoes that actually killed people in this movie,

Was that why the first movie was so much more fun? , I didn't mind the plot, tomatoes turning into people sounded ok.

The other thing that really annoyed me was that when same person keeps falling down, funny first few times, it happens every times the person on screen, you just milked it dry and it not funny at all.

4 out of 10 for this movie, first was fun, this one I found some-what boring as there not much tomatoes action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

attack of the killer tomatos is fantastic

the scene in the library where the guy gets an evil grin on his face, whispers "tomato" and the entire library panicks and runs out the door. floors me every time

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TheMollusc

Inside Llewyn Davis

I posted a small bit about this in the dedicated thread but said I'd post some more here as I just feel the film deserves to be seen.

I thought this was fantastic. The Coen Brothers have made some great films of course: A Serious Man, Fargo, Barton Fink, etc. And while it's too early to tell, this might just be up there as one of their best. But that's another discussion in itself. As far as my personal taste goes, it was pretty much perfect. I already adore this film and can't wait to see it again. That the Coen's films often improve with repeat viewings, only bodes well for Inside Llewyn Davis.

The film is gloomy and forlorn yet musical. Nihilistic and existential yet darkly humorous also. It might sound like heavy going but in the assured hands of the Coens, it never is. It's a short film but it never feels rushed. We follow the titular character Llewyn Davis for a week in his life as he tries to make it as a folk singer in Greenwich Village, 1961. This week consists of sleeping on couches, chasing cats, getting in arguments and occasionally performing folk songs.

The Coens have given us another tremendous film. The writing and cinematography are great. Really strong casting too (always nice to see Carey Mulligan) with many understated but fitting performances. Of course, the soundtrack is tremendous!

I thought it was brilliant. Absurdly good. I love Inside Llewyn Davis. An awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Martha Marcy May Marlene - good viewing but something tells me it will play on my mind for days to come. Powerful and insidious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I just rewatched Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

I saw it once when I was very young, remembered bits and pieces. I didn't remember the relationship between Idgie and Ruth being so gay though! I thought I was imagining it but I was reading about it on imdb after and it actually said they were lesbians in the original novel but the director and studio didn't want that in their film.

Anyway.... it's an old fashioned character driven film. Two "friends" ;) growing up in 20's and 30's Alabama deal with abusive husbands, racism, death, family and love. It touched very lightly on all of these issues so it's not too heavy and makes an ideal film for a rainy afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

The Master

One of the best acted films I've ever seen. Phoenix and Hoffmann are riveting and the relationship between the two characters is fascinating. Amy Adams gives an excellent perfomance also.

I'd give it 8/10. Something about it just stopped me from really loving it. Not sure what to be honest, might just be the eerie feel about it or a little lack of narrative drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Do the Right Thing

I've seen a few Spike Lee movies now, and I still can't quite decide if I like him. Do the Right Thing, 25th Hour, Inside Man, Malcolm X, they're all good but I feel they're rated far higher than they should be.

Oh no you didn't!!!!! :D;)

I kinda know where you're coming from but as someone who's seen all (and I mean all with the exception of Sweet Blood of Jesus and the Oldboy reboot) of his movies I do rate him. He's certainly not mainstream (a good thing IMO), but if you've lived in the US and/or have any appreciation of black history and culture hiss movies are more enjoyable as a result.

My OH on the other hand is like "really?" whenever I suggest a repeat viewing…..except for his more mainstream releases. She will never watch "She Hate Me" again though. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Guinea Pig : The Devils Experiment.

Decided to revisit the much maligned Guinea Pig series of movies and watched the first one today. The plot (such as it is) centres around a kidnapped woman been beaten and tortured with increasing ferocity by 3 unknown men. Thats it, no explanation, virtually no dialogue and no reasons why.

Its only 40 odd minutes so isnt the tour de force that similar movies are like however it does look pretty realistic in some scenes, particularly the opening couple of minutes. Some of the effects work is a little rubbery but considering the movie is almost 30 years old, some of it really looks fantastic, especially the closing scene, "needle".

Not for everyone but worth a look for horror afficianados.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Square - excellent documentary about the 2011 Egyptian Revolution and two years worth of aftermath. Predominantly using the 'in-the-moment' testimonies of the revolutionaries themselves, as well as the footage they themselves shot and disseminated, it's a raw & intimate look at a handful of people involved in the protests, and the emotionally turbulent 24 months they experience as regimes and governments are replaced and overthrown at a rate of nearly once or twice a year.

Focused almost exclusively on the revolutionaries themselves, both the filmmakers' and our sympathies are destined to sway in that direction. But it's not a mere political statement, and more so a nuanced exploration of the ideologies and motivations of these individuals, as well as the everyday reality of those living through these turbulent times. Some of the stories are fascinating: particularly the charismatic Ahmed, who we see growing angrier and more committed as the film progresses, and Magdy, who heartbreakingly ends up being torn between his belief in the Muslim Brotherhood and his 'secular' revolutionary friends. It's not often a documentary is gifted with such rich character arcs, and the film can be quite emotionally turbulent as a result (helped by the fact the basic beats of the Egyptian social & political upheaval of recent years are so dramatically potent).

This is a revolution that was televised (albeit regrettable not always through traditional media sources), and it's also a testament to the power of video, the Internet and social media to transmit ideas and stories. It's strange seeing a story told without a definitive end - the final major event (which only took place six months ago) of the film is eerily similar to the first 'inciting incident', and even just this weekend more news is filtering through of violent clashes in Cairo. But the people in the film ultimately make the point that this is a story and battle with no immediate conclusion, and any changes could take decades to settle. In the meantime, though, The Square serves as a visceral, eye-opening and very human look at a contemporary revolution. Really encouraging to see Netflix acquiring and releasing this sort of film as well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thief (1981)
    Michael Mann's first directorial feature and as debuts go it's a helluva strong entry; while the narrative is fairly bog-standard - a master thief decides to do the fabled One Last Job only to find it it's more than he bargained for - the film is built with a slickness and confidence that belies Mann's inexperience. All the themes and concepts you see in later Mann films are here, and already well formed at this early stage; as with many of his other films it feels like you're watching a modern, urban myth at play. It's aided by a fantastic performance from James Caan, a speech to his girlfriend in the diner about surviving prison is a particularly arresting (no pun intended) and stand-out moment. Jim Belushi co-stars in a surprisingly effective straight role.

It was hard to watch this and not think of Nicholas Winding Refn's Drive; and while I still admire the later movie, it's clear it takes a lot of inspiration from Mann's film, to the extent where perhaps Refn's increasingly comes across as a hollow, over-stylised knock off; Thief is a similar story of the loner, borderline psychotic career criminal, set against a night-time neon landscape and a pulsing electronic score (courtesy of Tangerine Dream), but behind the sheen there's a stronger emotional heartbeat at its core, mostly revolving around Caan's volatile yet vulnerable thief. It's not more 'realistic' as such - I don't think you could ever call a Michael Mann film realistic, as mentioned he deals in myths - he just takes a trope and puts enough layers on top to make these people feel more believable.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out; it's available on Netflix UK/IE anyway...

Side note: the background of this movie also makes for interesting reading, as Mann actively sought the advice and direction from both genuine burglars (some of whom had active warrants out at the time of shooting) and ex-cons, the upshot being that it really enhanced the authenticity of the thievery on show.

Intolerable Cruelty

I've seen this 3 times before but I still enjoy it. George Clooney is a super successful divorce lawyer who meets his match when he falls for the ex wife (Catherine Zeta Jones) of one of his clients, who he just helped screw her out of a hefty divorce settlement.
    Clooney and Zeta Jones have great chemistry and the dialogue is snappy and hilarious at times and there's an actual plot and resolution unlike many a Coen Brother film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thief (1981)
    Michael Mann's first directorial feature and as debuts go it's a helluva strong entry; while the narrative is fairly bog-standard - a master thief decides to do the fabled One Last Job only to find it it's more than he bargained for - the film is built with a slickness and confidence that belies Mann's inexperience. All the themes and concepts you see in later Mann films are here, and already well formed at this early stage; as with many of his other films it feels like you're watching a modern, urban myth at play. It's aided by a fantastic performance from James Caan, a speech to his girlfriend in the diner about surviving prison is a particularly arresting (no pun intended) and stand-out moment. Jim Belushi co-stars in a surprisingly effective straight role.

It was hard to watch this and not think of Nicholas Winding Refn's Drive; and while I still admire the later movie, it's clear it takes a lot of inspiration from Mann's film, to the extent where perhaps Refn's increasingly comes across as a hollow, over-stylised knock off; Thief is a similar story of the loner, borderline psychotic career criminal, set against a night-time neon landscape and a pulsing electronic score (courtesy of Tangerine Dream), but behind the sheen there's a stronger emotional heartbeat at its core, mostly revolving around Caan's volatile yet vulnerable thief. It's not more 'realistic' as such - I don't think you could ever call a Michael Mann film realistic, as mentioned he deals in myths - he just takes a trope and puts enough layers on top to make these people feel more believable.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out; it's available on Netflix UK/IE anyway...

Side note: the background of this movie also makes for interesting reading, as Mann actively sought the advice and direction from both genuine burglars (some of whom had active warrants out at the time of shooting) and ex-cons, the upshot being that it really enhanced the authenticity of the thievery on show.
    Always meant to check it out and have added it to my Netflix list. Think it might actually be my next to watch. Drive was good but possibly a little too far up it's own arse but I still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Inside Llewyn Davis:

I liked it, mainly from the way it was shot and how the colours used reflected the general mood of the movie. The characters were decent and in typical Coen brothers fashion the comedy was brilliantly dark and the music was amazing.

With that said, there were a number of subplots that were brought up and never followed up on which left me feeling like the movie could have been more than what it was. Added to this, I'm actually annoyed at the Coen brothers fanboyism that I've heard from other people who've seen it, calling it a masterpiece and whatnot - for me, it's a very good movie, I enjoyed it, but it's not exactly a classic and it's certainly not in the top 3-5 Coen brothers movies I've seen, for my money anyway.

Solid 7.5/10 for me

Just while on the topic of Coen brothers movies ^ I see mentioned above 'A Serious Man' mentioned as a great film by the Coen brothers - am I alone in thinking that movie was one of their worst? Nothing about it appealed to me

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

D'Agger wrote: »
    Inside Llewyn Davis:

I liked it, mainly from the way it was shot and how the colours used reflected the general mood of the movie. The characters were decent and in typical Coen brothers fashion the comedy was brilliantly dark and the music was amazing.

With that said, there were a number of subplots that were brought up and never followed up on which left me feeling like the movie could have been more than what it was. Added to this, I'm actually annoyed at the Coen brothers fanboyism that I've heard from other people who've seen it, calling it a masterpiece and whatnot - for me, it's a very good movie, I enjoyed it, but it's not exactly a classic and it's certainly not in the top 3-5 Coen brothers movies I've seen, for my money anyway.

Solid 7.5/10 for me

Just while on the topic of Coen brothers movies ^ I see mentioned above 'A Serious Man' mentioned as a great film by the Coen brothers - am I alone in thinking that movie was one of their worst? Nothing about it appealed to me

You are not alone... that's the main reason I haven't bothered with Llewyn Davis... pretty much hated Serious Man....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm actually annoyed at the Coen brothers fanboyism that I've heard from other people who've seen it, calling it a masterpiece and whatnot
    Why annoyed, and why the need to accuse those that disagree of being fanboys?

The film doesn't set a single foot wrong imho, even the loose strands of plot are very much purposeful like with A Serious Man.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Intolerable Cruelty

I've seen this 3 times before but I still enjoy it. George Clooney is a super successful divorce lawyer who meets his match when he falls for the ex wife (Catherine Zeta Jones) of one of his clients, who he just helped screw her out of a hefty divorce settlement.
    Clooney and Zeta Jones have great chemistry and the dialogue is snappy and hilarious at times and there's an actual plot and resolution unlike many a Coen Brother film.

Always thought that movie gets unfairly bashed by a lot of folks. I haven't seen it since I saw it in the cinema and at the time I thought it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No, you're not alone.

Same, I didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Escape Plan:
    This is what The Expendables should have been. It's dumb and shouldn't be thought about too much, but it's entertaining (which The Expendables never was). You'll have forgotten all about it the next day, but at least it's an enjoyable 100 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Me too. I didn't like it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

TheMollusc wrote: »
    Inside Llewyn Davis

I posted a small bit about this in the dedicated thread but said I'd post some more here as I just feel the film deserves to be seen.

I thought this was fantastic. The Coen Brothers have made some great films of course: A Serious Man, Fargo, Barton Fink, etc. And while it's too early to tell, this might just be up there as one of their best. But that's another discussion in itself. As far as my personal taste goes, it was pretty much perfect. I already adore this film and can't wait to see it again. That the Coen's films often improve with repeat viewings, only bodes well for Inside Llewyn Davis.

The film is gloomy and forlorn yet musical. Nihilistic and existential yet darkly humorous also. It might sound like heavy going but in the assured hands of the Coens, it never is. It's a short film but it never feels rushed. We follow the titular character Llewyn Davis for a week in his life as he tries to make it as a folk singer in Greenwich Village, 1961. This week consists of sleeping on couches, chasing cats, getting in arguments and occasionally performing folk songs.

The Coens have given us another tremendous film. The writing and cinematography are great. Really strong casting too (always nice to see Carey Mulligan) with many understated but fitting performances. Of course, the soundtrack is tremendous!

I thought it was brilliant. Absurdly good. I love Inside Llewyn Davis. An awful lot.
    Inside Llewyn Davis:

Solid 7.5/10 for me

Saw it at the end of November, though it was dubbed in German, so I knew I HAD to go see it again in the original dubbing. Did that the other night, and quite honestly I'd say it's one of my favourite films. Almost everything about it just works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

New Riddick Movie: Actually really looked forward to seeing this movie. Was so disappointed when I watched this, I thought it was really terrible

Back to the Future Trilogy: Never actually seen these movies in full at an age where I could actually follow the story line so I decided to box the box set and have a gawk. I though the first movie was class!! The second movie was a poor follow up, pointing out that we are all going to talk with stupid voices in the future (which I believe is next year?) and the third, it was ok, better than the second but not a patch on the first!

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters: Dont think thats the proper name for the movie but anyhow ye know what im talking about. I thought it was actually a good movie. Better than the poo I expected. Liked the weapons and stuff in it and the two lead actors were pretty good, cant remember yer wans name so I refer to her as the beaut and of course the other lad will only be know to me as Hawkeye from the Hurtlocker haha

Diner

Group of guys in their early 20's, I think, hang around in a diner in 1950's Baltimore.

I found this quite boring to be honest. None of the characters were that well developed, the ones that got most screen time weren't that likable. I enjoyed Steve Guttenberg's character trying to decide if he actually wanted to get married or not and making his bride to be take a football quiz to help him decide but all in all it was pretty dull. It didn't even have the awesome soundtrack of something like American Graffiti, set around the same time.

• Advertisement

Watched Mud at the weekend.
    Coming of age tale with obvious parrallels to Huckleberry Finn, Stand by me etc. Thought all actors did a pretty decent job, the two young leads were especially good. Enjoyed the southern setting, the wide open river, the sense of adventure and the family dynamcis that played out over that. Enjoyable enough film though a tad too long. I expected more to happen than actually did. A part of me wanted
    mud to be dead in the end as well, last shot we see is his old buddy pulling him out of the river or his body floating off into the sunset!!
    but i can live with how they ended it i guess.:o

3.5/5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement