Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm struggling through the original BBC series at the moment - it was hard going first time round on the telly back in 1979 and it hasn't got any easier.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

tusk wrote: »
    I really thought by only saying the first part of the title you were alluding to the same issue myself and another fellow had. I smiled.

But alas, twas not to be...

That would have been such a good way to convey it I almost wish I was :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That would have been such a good way to convey it I almost wish I was :p

I was literally so happy :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Fargo

forgot just how great this film is

yaaaaaaaah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Fargo

yaaaaaaaah
    You darn tootin'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Bellflower

Two dudes dream about the apocalypse and having a Mad Max style gang. Then things go to shit.

I love this movie. I watched it last night, and it's been on my mind since. I fell asleep thinking about it, and I woke up thinking about it, and my day has been spent thinking about it. At heart, it's a love story. The main guy is a bit of a loser, in the coolest way. I think growing up, both of the main guys were losers, and grew up to be fiercely loyal cool guys, full of imagination.

I've read a bunch of people hate the movie because of
    the ending
    . I personally loved it. It was probably the most honest portrayal of a broken heart I've seen in a film. It threw me for a loop, and made everything I'd just seen seem so familiar. My heart was racing towards the climax to the point I thought I might vomit and I got dizzy.

Stylistically, I enjoyed it. The dirt on the lens gave it a really nice feel, which I found odd because seeing it in other movies drives me nuts. It worked here, and I'm not sure why. The sound design and soundtrack was great.

I suck at writing reviews and stuff, better at talking about them in a conversation, but please, if you haven't seen this, go buy it on Amazon. Recommended for dudes (Mostly) who know all about broken hearts and want to see something intense. A rare 10 / 10. Best film I've seen in a long time.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Fargo

yaaaaaaaah

As good as the Coens get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Oldboy-Spike Lee version.
    I always thought Spike Lee was a bit stupid but this is pure garbage. Please, i beg anyone dont pay money towards this crap. Felt like a really bad rushed tv version of the original. Not because it was a remake. I watched and gave it a chance but i was shocked at how bad it was. Either stupid or lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Serpico

I really enjoyed this. Pacino gives a great performance of a clean cop surrounded by a corrupt system. Hadn't realised that it was directed by Sidney Lumet. Extremely interesting movie both storywise and character wise. 8/10

Dancer In The Dark

The last Von Trier film I had watched was 'The Idiots' which was awful. This however is brilliant. Bjork is brilliant. People criticised her acting for being clunky but I thought she performed very well. The story emotionally manipulates you fairly blatantly but that didn't bother me as much as it normally does. Also enjoyed the musical scenes even though I normally hate that genre. 8/10

The Lives of Others

German flick about the Stasi. Again, and I am repeating myself, another thoroughly enjoyable film. Well worth checking out. 8/10

Amores Perros

This movie troubled me. The characters are a little inconsistent. Gael García Bernal (Y tu Mama Tambien) is charismatic as always and draws you in but don't be fooled, his character isn't the most morally scrupulous. 6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I love Amores Perros. One of those films i rewatched a few times after i first watched it.

The Lives Of Others is top notch alright. Ulrich Muhe is superb in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I managed to catch The Summit (K2) on BBC 4 the other night.

Great documentary and shows just what a hero our own Irishman Ger McDonnell was. There something amazing that always pulls me into stories of people who battle extreme natural obstacles/conditions/situations. I love any type of man against nature story. Still waiting for Fassbender to get his finger out and play Tom Crean!!! Anyway, this was powerful stuff, made all the more poignant by actual footage and photographs of the climb and the preparation.
    Would love to have seen this on the big screen, some of the shots are nerve wracking and mind blowing.. the shadow of K2 stretching out into China, some of the over the shoulder looking back down the mountain shots ... Jaysus. No special effects here !!! (Gravity eat your heart out!!) Anyway, its a great show. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Watched after earth last night pure rubbish

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I managed to catch The Summit (K2) on BBC 4 the other night.

Great documentary and shows just what a hero our own Irishman Ger McDonnell was. There something amazing that always pulls me into stories of people who battle extreme natural obstacles/conditions/situations. I love any type of man against nature story. Still waiting for Fassbender to get his finger out and play Tom Crean!!! Anyway, this was powerful stuff, made all the more poignant by actual footage and photographs of the climb and the preparation.
    Would love to have seen this on the big screen, some of the shots are nerve wracking and mind blowing.. the shadow of K2 stretching out into China, some of the over the shoulder looking back down the mountain shots ... Jaysus. No special effects here !!! (Gravity eat your heart out!!) Anyway, its a great show. I really enjoyed it.

Most of it was filmed in the alps with K2 composited into the background I think (apart from the real footage). It was a good watch, and while Ger was a great man I didn't feel it was that clear cut what happened to him. It's very possible he died trying to save the Koreans but also possible he was out of his mind with altitude sickness at the time too. We'll never really know.

Most of it was filmed in the alps with K2 composited into the background I think (apart from the real footage). It was a good watch, and while Ger was a great man I didn't feel it was that clear cut what happened to him. It's very possible he died trying to save the Koreans but also possible he was out of his mind with altitude sickness at the time too. We'll never really know.

Yeah we'll never know for sure what actually happened. All conjecture.
    I just loved some of climbing shots though. Whether it was reconstructed in the Alps or wherever, it just put the viewer in a first person perspective of what it must have been actually like climbing to the summit and the descent into darkness. Got a bit freaked out watching some of it!! Not great with the ol heights !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

naughto wrote: »
    Watched after earth last night pure rubbish

Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

My nephew sent me this list here. Some good movies and some stinkers that are so bad they're good. It has defo added to my watch list.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-amazing-films-you-ve-probably-never-seen/when-the-last-sword-is-drawn-2003

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My problem with The Summit was that it seemed to have been made from an Irish point of view, like they had this idea that Ger was a hero from the start and that's the film they set out to make. All of the evidence they have and first hand accounts are questionable due to the circumstances but they seemed to present it all as fact. It's still a very interesting story though and I found the story of the husband and wife very moving, didn't she look like Jennifer Aniston though! :)

One thing that struck me with The Summit is what lovely white teeth they all have/had. Same as that dude that 'into the wild' was based on. He'd a fine set of pearly whites. Amazing teeth. Must have something to do with living on bare bones for a few months. Makes your teeth sparkle.

My problem with The Summit was that it seemed to have been made from an Irish point of view, like they had this idea that Ger was a hero from the start and that's the film they set out to make. All of the evidence they have and first hand accounts are questionable due to the circumstances but they seemed to present it all as fact. It's still a very interesting story though and I found the story of the husband and wife very moving, didn't she look like Jennifer Aniston though! :)

Same here, I found it a little off putting the way it focused so much on Ger especially towards the end tbh. It was like they were presenting what they wanted to be true rather than just presenting the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Dark Skies (2013)....watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

oldboy 2013 poor compared to the original

Half way through Her. Boy... 2013 was a pretty interesting year for movies.

"Her" vs "12 Years a Slave" vs "Gravity".

Kinda reminds me of the 1970s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

MilanPan!c wrote: »

Her dragged on wasn't great imo
    Gravity was terrible, the special effects wore off on me after 5 minutes

Her dragged on wasn't great imo
    Gravity was terrible, the special effects wore off on me after 5 minutes

Well then...

Finished Her.

The closest film to Her that I've seen previously is Ghost In the Shell.

Amazing film really. Unlike anything else out of Hollywood in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MilanPan!c wrote: »

'12 Years a Slave' wins so far.

Tony EH wrote: »
    '12 Years a Slave' wins so far.

Well. Best picture, adapted screenplay, and some acting awards, yes. Gravity wins best Director.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Cannibal Holocaust -

First time seeing this 80s (I think) cult movie. Banned by a fair few countries and stories about police interest in the director as it was thought that some of the scenes were real and it was actually a "snuff" movie. This was proved to be unfounded after the actors were shown to be alive and well. There is animal deaths in it that are certainly real and it's not for the squeamish.

The film itself I found to have a quite unsettling vibe about it and I can see why it caused a furore 30 odd years ago.

There's a number of edited versions about but I think the one I saw was pretty much uncut.

As for the musical score that is repeated at various times in the movie all I can say is wowww. It's an amazing piece of music. (By rito ortolani (spelling probably crap).

It is totally at odds with the movie but in a strange kind of way it works brilliantly in its beauty against the depravity happening on screen.

In summary the movie is not recommended for general viewers nor for a date (unless you want rid of her pronto) but I found it quite interesting nonetheless. Everyone should look up the theme music on YouTube as its simply breath taking.

Rating - 7 out of 10 (for interest alone)
    Music - 11 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Spider Baby (or the Maddest Story ever Told)

Another I watched recently on you tube. Made in 1968 and in black n white.

Story of a caretaker Bruno (Lon Chaney Jr of wolfman fame) who takes charge of 3 young adults after their parents die. Other relatives have a claim on the house and this leads to a lot of problems......... For the other relatives.

Black horror/comedy. Very enjoyable. Sid haig (the devils rejects) plays one of the kids. Its like the munsters on acid. Worth it just for the mad song at the start sung by no other than Lon Chaney jr. himself.

Rating: 8 out of 10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement