Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

timthumbni wrote: »
    As for the musical score that is repeated at various times in the movie all I can say is wowww. It's an amazing piece of music. (By rito ortolani (spelling probably crap).

It is totally at odds with the movie but in a strange kind of way it works brilliantly in its beauty against the depravity happening on screen.

Everyone should look up the theme music on YouTube as its simply breath taking.

Riz Ortolani. He died last month.

I bought this in Dario Argento's shop in Rome a few years ago. One of the best exploitation films ever made imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Tony EH wrote: »
    Riz Ortolani. He died last month.

I bought this in Dario Argento's shop in Rome a few years ago. One of the best exploitation films ever made imo.

Dario argento has a shop??? That must be a bit surreal . I learn something every day. The Italians are sh&it hot at music I will give them that. Riz not rito then. Never mind it was the most beautiful pice of music I have heard in a long time. Stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Country Girls" (1984) On YouTube. 1950s 'coming of age' movie based on the novel by Edna O'Brien. Two girls, best friends, come to terms with life and love through convent school, to working in Dublin and getting the inevitable boat to England. Sam Neill plays the local (married) heart throb - Mr.Gentleman - who fails to live up to his name. Anyway, the movie captures the depressed nature of the era well but don't watch if you're already feeling down. A pleasant break from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. :D7/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

True Grit

The newer Coen Brother's version. I have to say I did not like it. Given all the hype and praise it got when it was released I was expecting a lot and it did not deliver.
    I liked Matt Damon as LeBoeuf, but that's about it. I was not impressed at all by Steinfeld. It was like she was just reading lines, no emotion, no anything. I realise she was supposed to be very business like and determined but it just didn't work for me. As for Bridges, well, was he playing Rooster Cogburn or Mumbly Dave?

I haven't seen all their films but I've come to the conclusion that I am just not a fan of the Coen Brothers. Intolerable Cruelty is the only film I've liked and as far as I can make out it's the least Coen Brothers like film they've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

True Grit

The newer Coen Brother's version. I have to say I did not like it. Given all the hype and praise it got when it was released I was expecting a lot and it did not deliver.
    I liked Matt Damon as LeBoeuf, but that's about it. I was not impressed at all by Steinfeld. It was like she was just reading lines, no emotion, no anything. I realise she was supposed to be very business like and determined but it just didn't work for me. As for Bridges, well, was he playing Rooster Cogburn or Mumbly Dave?

I haven't seen all their films but I've come to the conclusion that I am just not a fan of the Coen Brothers. Intolerable Cruelty is the only film I've liked and as far as I can make out it's the least Coen Brothers like film they've made.

Watched this last night for the third time and will gladly watch it many times more. I think its amazing, And I'm not even a fan of the genre. Roosters mumblings only added to his character and also provided some comic relief. I think Haile Stienfeld gets it spot on, she's hard as nails obviously she's not going to show much emotion. Have you seen the original? Its not a patch on the Coens imo.

• Advertisement

Watched this last night for the third time and will gladly watch it many times more. I think its amazing, And I'm not even a fan of the genre. Roosters mumblings only added to his character and also provided some comic relief. I think Haile Stienfeld gets it spot on, she's hard as nails obviously she's not going to show much emotion. Have you seen the original? Its not a patch on the Coens imo.

No, I haven't seen the original or read the book which I believe is closer in tone to the Coen's film than the John Wayne one. I don't know what it is about Coen brother's films, I just find it very hard to connect to anyone or anything in them.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No, I haven't seen the original or read the book which I believe is closer in tone to the Coen's film than the John Wayne one. I don't know what it is about Coen brother's films, I just find it very hard to connect to anyone or anything in them.

Which ones have you seen apart from IC and True Grit now?

Their films are often full of unsympathetic characters alright, off the top of my head I think Margie in Fargo and Hi in Raising Arizona are probably two I found myself connecting with most. I would suggest giving both those films a go before you decide you're completely done with the Coens btw. Though I think I might have recommended True Grit to you a few pages back too, so what do I know really :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd actually say that True Grit is far, far and away the least Coen Brothersy film the Coen Brothers have ever made. It's more straightforward and far less eccentric, even more so than some of their attempts to breakthrough to the mainstream with stuff like Hudsucker or Intolerable Cruelty (both pretty madcap films in their own way, the former particularly). I think it's a magnificent old fashioned film, but is pretty unique in their filmography (although, given their fondness for Americana in all its forms, it's not surprising they eventually made a straight Western).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Which ones have you seen apart from IC and True Grit now?

I've seen Raising Arizona but it was a long long time ago and I was probably quite young, I must watch it again. I think I've seen The Hudsucker Proxy too but again a long long time ago when I was too young to pay attention.

Other than that I've seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? No Country For Old Men and A Serious Man. I've seen bits and pieces of The Big Lebowski but never the whole thing.

I know I haven't seen anywhere near enough to say I have a well educated opinion on them but from what I've seen so far I wouldn't call myself a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

O Brother is my favourite Coen movie, love it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Saw True Grit too last night when the Beeb showed it. I can't say I was very impressed by it much either. I had seen the John Wayne version but the Coen's version didn't seem to add anything to the original. The girl playing Mattie was good, but agree with Elmo that I didn't like Bridges' mumbling.

Having said that I do like the Coen Brothers - maybe not as much as a lot of people here. I think Lebowski and Fargo are good but overrated. My favourites of theirs are Raising Arizona and O Brother Where Art Thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

After that, I needed something to make up for it so I went for Cocaine Cowboys, a documentary rewatch. Excellent - 8/10. A fascintaing documentary about late 70s/early 80s cocaine importation into the US (mainly Florida/Miami). Not sure if I mentioned it or scored it previously on here, but well worth digging out. Watched it on DVD, but it's on youtube if you look……..I can't post a link as that's against forum rules.

Such a brilliant documentary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

la ronde, really enjoyed it. I think anton walbrook might be even cooler than david niven, maybe.

had planned to rewatch la grande illusion tonight but it's rag week so my flatmate has friends over and the living room is now full of attractive young twenty somethings

bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

timthumbni wrote: »
    Cannibal Holocaust -

First time seeing this 80s (I think) cult movie. Banned by a fair few countries and stories about police interest in the director as it was thought that some of the scenes were real and it was actually a "snuff" movie. This was proved to be unfounded after the actors were shown to be alive and well. There is animal deaths in it that are certainly real and it's not for the squeamish.

The film itself I found to have a quite unsettling vibe about it and I can see why it caused a furore 30 odd years ago.

There's a number of edited versions about but I think the one I saw was pretty much uncut.

As for the musical score that is repeated at various times in the movie all I can say is wowww. It's an amazing piece of music. (By rito ortolani (spelling probably crap).

It is totally at odds with the movie but in a strange kind of way it works brilliantly in its beauty against the depravity happening on screen.

In summary the movie is not recommended for general viewers nor for a date (unless you want rid of her pronto) but I found it quite interesting nonetheless. Everyone should look up the theme music on YouTube as its simply breath taking.

Rating - 7 out of 10 (for interest alone)
    Music - 11 out of 10

I managed to get hold of a copy of this movie a good few years ago, I think its a special edition copy. To be honest i thought it was quite disturbing and messed up but in a way that you had to keep watching it.
    I dont think there is any reasons why the movie was banned in so many countries but the whole legal issues around it caused it to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Oldboy
    the new one:eek:

Now I must try and see the original I wonder is it just as shocking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Hootanany wrote: »
    Oldboy
    the new one:eek:

Now I must try and see the original I wonder is it just as shocking?
    the original left me in shock for a few days after, i kept remembering the film wondering what i had watched. good but disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Finally got to see 'Searching for Sugarman'.
    Enjoyed it. Easy viewing for the hour and a half. Gotta check out the albums now, some of the music on it was pretty darn class.
    One thing i didnt get though, they were going through the lyrics to try and find where rodriguez was from/gone to etc. Why didnt they just head to the record producer who had worked with him on the album? His name was on the cover too ?? save themselves years of cryptic lyrics solving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

American Graffiti

I've never actually seen this. Its always been one of those movies I planned on watching but never got around to it. Finally got around to seeing it at the weekend and I loved it. Didnt think I'd like it as much as I did. Awesome soundtrack, Liked the way it was mostly shot at night, it looked beautiful and I saw in the extras that lucas wanted the whole thing to look like a jukebox, which it actually did. The acting was a bit hit and miss, some were good some not so good. The script was tight though and I really got a sense that this was an era of innocence compared to what was to come in the years that followed.
    Cant wait to see it again to be honest. 9/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

fireworks wednesday

towards the end I'd given up on trying to judge anybody and was just mentally drained when the credits rolled. great movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

This thread seems to full of really boring "I hate David Lynch" posts all of a sudden.

All I want is a sentence or two on what people have watched recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Always willing to oblige. :D

quiet-day-in-belfast.jpg

"A Quiet Day in Belfast" (1974) Made for TV. turkey-11.png

Truly a train wreck of a movie but one that is so bad that you’re compelled to keeping watching it right through to the bitter end. I don’t know which aspect of the film was the worst – the indescribably awful NI accents, the ridiculous storyline, the cast of stereotypical Oirish characters that looked like they had broken through from The Quiet Man, the props, clothing etc. that looked like they had been found in an Oxfam shop etc.etc.

The movie is set in Belfast but filmed in Dublin and, to be fair, the city is fairly unrecognizable – grotty Corpo housing is the same throughout the British Isles. Everything from ‘the Troubles’ is squeezed into the movie from sectarian church burning, bigotry, no-warning bombings, children throwing rocks at soldiers, IRA snipers, tarring and feathering.

Barry Foster, Margot Kidder and Emmet Bergin star – if that’s the right word. Long haired (!) Bergin, a British squaddie spends most of the film guarding a farmer’s landrover in a back street while being stoned by local kids
    until he becomes the latest target of the IRA sniper
    …Worth watching if only to see how not to make a movie.

Was released on VHS but virtually impossible to find these days. 0/10

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Watched quite a few films in the last week (in descending order of goodness):
    The Big Sleep (1946)
    Funny Face (1957)
    The Narrow Margin (1952)
    The French Connection (1971)
    Only God Forgives (2013)
    Look (2007)
    Angel Face (1952)
    The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
    The Counselor (2013)
    Lone Survivor (2013)
    The Adjustment Bureau (2011)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

shazzerman wrote: »
    Watched quite a few films in the last week (in descending order of goodness):
    The Big Sleep (1946)
    Funny Face (1957)
    The Narrow Margin (1952)
    The French Connection (1971)
    Only God Forgives (2013)
    Look (2007)
    Angel Face (1952)
    The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
    The Counselor (2013)
    Lone Survivor (2013)
    The Adjustment Bureau (2011)

That's nice.... what did you think of them?

Loughc wrote: »
    That's nice.... what did you think of them?

The Big Sleep is a favourite; no need to have everything explained, when the chemistry between the players - and each individual scene's entertainment value - is spot on. I think it was David Thomson who said (of the film): confusion is in the mind of the beholder, and if Bogie doesn't notice it, it isn't really there. This, and In a Lonely Place, are my indispensable Bogies.

Funny Face, which I saw for the first time a couple of nights ago, is up there with Donen's other masterpieces. Innovative use of colour, montage effects, freeze frames - and great Gershwin tunes. Audrey Hepburn is no Ginger Rogers (or, better still, Eleanor Powell), but she is quite good here. It doesn't paint a pretty picture of the French, but it gets away with it.

Then again, people might think that Jean Simmons is no Barbara Stanwyck (or even Gene Tierney), but she does a great job in Angel Face; making Robert Mitchum act like a sap is no mean feat. Not as good as Preminger's other noir classics, but has a nice mood of fatalism running throughout.

Didn't like Scorsese's latest too much. Didn't like one single character and, more important, didn't care what happened to them.

The Refn film is certainly doing interesting things visually but I don't know if there is anything else going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Escape Plan - even the nostalgia of Arnie and Stallone doesn't really make up for it, not horrible but just a letdown - they've lost the magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Start a fcuking David Lynch thread, for REALS!

the_monkey wrote: »
    Escape Plan - even the nostalgia of Arnie and Stallone doesn't really make up for it, not horrible but just a letdown - they've lost the magic.

A really terrible script - nearly everything depended on the silliest of premises (Arnie gets knocked down, and - hey presto - lands right on top of a piece of metal that is the EXACT size and shape that Sly just happens to need at that particular time - the script is full of these implausible situations).

Can someone come get me when this thread returns to normal service, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’ve split the Mulholland Drive discussion into a separate thread. Normal service can now resume. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I’ve split the Mulholland Drive discussion into a separate thread. Normal service can now resume. :D
    Jesus Christ, I was looking a couple of pages back to see the post explaining MD and it had suddenly disappeared.... Thought it was on my imagination too. Very Lynchesque... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement