Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's all in your head and in reality you're a really nasty person who lives alone.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched Out Of The Furnace on Saturday night. Good performances from Christian Bale and Woody Harrelson (as you'd expect), and ably supported by Willem Dafoe, Forest Whitaker, Casey Affleck and Zoe Saldana amongst others, but it just lacks a little in the storyline. It's a bit "Winter's Bone"-sy in places, but Wb is a far superior movie. It's not bad per se, I just felt a little let down having had my expectations set rather high on this one. :( Still, a 6.5-7/10

On Sunday I revisited a fave of mine for a first viewing in over 10 years. I made the OH sit through The Dead Zone on DVD. This was one of the first movies to really impact on me as a young teen when I first saw it on video (lol) back in the 80s, and it's stayed with me since. Starring a very young looking Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen, Tom Skerritt and Pink Panther legend Herbert Lom it's an adaptation of a Stephen King novel for those of you who haven't seen or heard of it. Yes, it looks dated in places but that's to be expected given the technology at the time. I loved it then, and it really delivered for me again on a re-watch with an eerie soundtrack and a steller performance from Walken. Sheen at times looks like he's playing a modern day Charlie he is so maniacal in it, but again, it works. I'd give it a 7.5/10 - definitely worth a look if you like horrors/thrillers or King adaptations. The OH on a first viewing said she'd give it a 6 at best just for balance!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

The art of the steal and old boy were very good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Wrote a long ass review of Our ROBOCOP Remake and then Boards fucked up and I lost it. It contained the amount of dicks shot off on screen (14) and a bunch of other stuff. Absurdism, deconstructivism, nonsense, crude animation, puppets, babies and interpretive dance. Sound effects made by people with staplers and mouths. The best remake ever? It's at least the best Robocop remake ever. Even Nicolas Winding Refn got in on the action. Great stuff, recommended if you got and hour and forty five minutes to spare and want to see five Robocops breakdancing, which you do. 7 / 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Inequality for All - Enjoyable...actually informative and frustrating because of the subject matter. It's as if we as a nation are tripping over the same economic landmines that other economies in the past have tripped over without actually learning from it.
    But Reich tells it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Went to see "The Turning" at the Berlinale last week.

Its a set of short films (about 35, 5 minute shorts) all filmed in Australia and based on short stories by Tim Winton.

I actually got tickets for this on the blind as I had a week off work and decided I wanted to go see something I heard absolutely nothing about. A few names stood out including Cate Blanchett.

Anyways, lets just say this experience was like no other I have ever seen in the cinema. I got a beer and a box of popcorn on arrival and immersed myself in this 3 hour epic and couldnt keep my eyes off the screen.

Every single story manages to rip different emotions out of the viewer. I felt scared, I felt sick, sad, happy, ashamed...everything.

I have to say.. I have seen all the Oscar nominated films this year and nothing compares to the experience of this film.

10/10. Others might not agree but it did everything for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Moon

I guess it was alright... I'm still not sure.

I thought I knew what it was about before I watched it so I was surprised when I discovered it was actually about
    CLONES!
    . It was an interesting idea but at times it felt like all it was was an idea, like they could have fleshed it out a bit more.... I don't know, I'll have to think about it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watched Out Of The Furnace on Saturday night. Good performances from Christian Bale and Woody Harrelson (as you'd expect), and ably supported by Willem Dafoe, Forest Whitaker, Casey Affleck and Zoe Saldana amongst others, but it just lacks a little in the storyline. It's a bit "Winter's Bone"-sy in places, but Wb is a far superior movie. It's not bad per se, I just felt a little let down having had my expectations set rather high on this one. :( Still, a 6.5-7/10

On Sunday I revisited a fave of mine for a first viewing in over 10 years. I made the OH sit through The Dead Zone on DVD. This was one of the first movies to really impact on me as a young teen when I first saw it on video (lol) back in the 80s, and it's stayed with me since. Starring a very young looking Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen, Tom Skerritt and Pink Panther legend Herbert Lom it's an adaptation of a Stephen King novel for those of you who haven't seen or heard of it. Yes, it looks dated in places but that's to be expected given the technology at the time. I loved it then, and it really delivered for me again on a re-watch with an eerie soundtrack and a steller performance from Walken. Sheen at times looks like he's playing a modern day Charlie he is so maniacal in it, but again, it works. I'd give it a 7.5/10 - definitely worth a look if you like horrors/thrillers or King adaptations. The OH on a first viewing said she'd give it a 6 at best just for balance!:rolleyes:

One of the few King adaptations to the big screen that really worked.

I love The Dead Zone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The Final Countdown.....Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen.

Starts out well, ending is limp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Flockton Flyer" (1977/78) 12 part DVD box set. A family become involved in the restoration of an abandoned branch railway in SW England.

Flockton%2BFlyer.jpg

More escapism I'm afraid but great stuff for the kids. I hadn't seen the series since it was broadcast in the 1970's but it had lost none of its charm and I'm happy to say that my 11-year old, brought up on a diet of Star Wars, Terminator and the Bourne Identity was captivated by it. I enjoyed it so much back in the day that I spent a couple of weeks in Somerset the same year specifically to soak up the atmosphere of the railway where the filming took place. 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Went to see Her tonight. What a captivating performance by Joaquin Phoenix. Absolute masterclass in acting ya ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

port of shadows

very nice, jean gabin could become a favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Bridesmaids (on TV). I know it's been compared to other Judd Apatow-produced films, such as The 40-Year-Old-Virgin, but it's not as "in your face" as that one. I started it expecting the jokes to be flying thick and fact, but it's a slower, more considered film than that. Things take longer to happen, and the payoff isn't always what you might expect. .

Once I figured that out (thanks to the early "duelling toasts" scene), I slowed down too, and really enjoyed the film overall. Even the gross-out bits, of which there weren't actually that many, and the dialogue put a new spin on things. ("I cracked a blanket in half!")

But I still don't get what Chris O'Dowd was doing there. It was like he'd flown in from Limerick and landed in a US cop car.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    But I still don't get what Chris O'Dowd was doing there. It was like he'd flown in from Limerick and landed in a US cop car.

O'Dowd's accent always strikes me as someone who spent the first few years of their non Irish career having people ask him to repeat himself, a lot, hence he over enunciates and ends up with this weird US/Roscommon hybrid thing. When I first saw Bridesmaids I though he was just really bad at an American accent but then when I watched it again I heard the conversation they had that implied he wasn't American at all. I don't really know if he was trying to do one and it was so bad they eventually threw in the line about him not being American, or if that is just how he talks all the time now. Although he's still quite Irish on Moone Boy, so maybe it's just a case of him sounding like whoever he's around?

Badlands - OK, at 36 I'm slightly embarrassed I've never seen it before. Of course the minute the main music theme kicked off I realised, hey, Hans Zimmer eat your heart out!

The similarities didn't end there, jaysus perhaps if I had seen this movie before True Romance I might have appreciated Badlands more.

OK, a quick Wikipedia search:

"The film's score by Hans Zimmer is a theme based on Gassenhauer from Carl Orff's Schulwerk. This theme combined with a voiceover spoken by Arquette is an homage to Terrence Malick's 1973 crime film Badlands, in which Sissy Spacek speaks the voiceover, and that also shares similar dramatic motifs."

Ya learn something new every day. :)

"Quatermass" (1979) on YouTube.

TV mini-series which has stood the test of time well. Set in the near future (we must be living in it!) and World order has collapsed, gangs roam the streets of the major cities and general anarchy prevails. Is there a sinister presence behind the breakdown in society and what is it that is causing the young 'The Planet People' to assemble at ancient stone circles across the World. John Mills is superb as the aged Professor Quatermass who is searching the length and breadth of England for his granddaughter but who is drawn into the international fight for the very survival of the planet. Combined with an excellent soundtrack and very effective special effects make this a chilling couple of evenings viewing. Well worth watching. 10/10

516MMSP1YSL.jpg

"The film's score by Hans Zimmer is a theme based on Gassenhauer from Carl Orff's Schulwerk. This theme combined with a voiceover spoken by Arquette is an homage to Terrence Malick's 1973 crime film Badlands, in which Sissy Spacek speaks the voiceover, and that also shares similar dramatic motifs."

Ya learn something new every day. :)

So you're saying Zimmer's score for True Romance wasn't just a blatant rip off, it was a conscious hat tip to Badlands?

So you're saying Zimmer's score for True Romance wasn't just a blatant rip off, it was a conscious hat tip to Badlands?

sorry, I was quoting Wikipedia there, I actually don't know if that is true or not. Of course when I heard it in Badlands I immediately assumed it was a rip off on behalf of Zimmer but then sure, it's too obvious and maybe Zimmer being a pro did it as a homage.

sorry, I was quoting Wikipedia there, I actually don't know if that is true or not. Of course when I heard it in Badlands I immediately assumed it was a rip off on behalf of Zimmer but then sure, it's too obvious and maybe Zimmer being a pro did it as a homage.

I assumed rip off too but then, like you say, maybe it is far too obvious a rip off to actually be a rip off and was an homage. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Muscle Shoals
    Hell yeah !!! *mashes potato*
    Loved it! I wanna be a swamper when i grow up! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Kick Ass 2

I'd expected a bit of a mess to be honest, after all the bad reviews I read on its release. But I was pleasantly surprised by this, not a bad movie at all, I 'd watch a third one.

Oblivion

Not much going on here. Nice to look at but I've seen it all before. At first I thouhgt it was gonna be like a modern day take on the omega man, at least that would've been interesting. But in the end it was like a moon knock off, only not as classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,133 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watched again Happy Texas, Steve Zahn is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Went to see Her last night

Now I can see why it wouldn't be everyne's cup of tea, it is slow moving and it can seem like outside of the main gimmick of the movie that there might not bee much there

But for me I haven't seen a movie that drew me in emotionally as much as this since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

At its heart Her is just a simple bog standard expression of a love story and relationships and all that they entail both good and bad but it is so much more than that, it is an excellent telling of loneliness and isolation and a pretty realistic possible future based on he we interact now with technology and social media

I do find it hard to recommend it to other people based on its pace but that it was slow to me was perfect as it gave the relationship time to blossom and made it seem more natural

I honestly haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it, the acting and Cinematography was brilliant, it looked beautiful and Joaquin Phoenix held my attention and drew me in to the character so much that even when he wasn't talking it felt like I knew what he was thinking

I didn't mean to gush so much about this movie but I just couldn't stop typing when I started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cabin Fever 3.

Not nearly as bad as I expected it to be, much closer to the original than Cabin Fever 2 in the way it conducts itself (I did like CF2, but it was a very tongue in cheek sort of American Pie/Gore hybrid and nothing like the original) and it was decent entertainment. I hear the same guy behind this is making Cabin Fever 4 so it's actually looking like a reliable if not exactly spectacular franchise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Big Wednesday - 70s surfer movie with The Greatest American Hero, the older cop from Point Break and some wooden good looking bloke. What happens? Lots of partaaays, a trip to Mexico in the 60s, Vietnam draft and how to avoid it plus a lot of punch ups. And surfing. Lots of surfing.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I watched again Happy Texas, Steve Zahn is hilarious

I love that film, so ridiculous but hilarious. I haven't seen it for years, must try and get a copy. :D

UShalfsheet.jpg

A Hill in Korea (1956) on YouTube.

An unexpected treasure that I came across quite by accident. A star studded cast including some well known faces in their earliest screen appearances – Michael Caine and Robert Shaw, plus some other well known faces such as Stanley Baker, Harry Andrews and George Baker.
    A British army platoon consisting of regulars and National Servicemen find themselves cut-off and surrounded on a hilltop during the Korean war. Atmospheric with a believable plot which kept me engaged until the credits rolled. 9/10

* Michael Caine saw action during his National Service in Korea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

the-hill.jpg

The Hill directed by Sidney Lumet with a pretty amazing cast including Connery himself with an great performance. Not seen this before tonight and it completely blew me away, A little over 2hr long but it hooks you from the start and doesn't let go and I never noticed the time go by. Set in a Prison camp in North Africa for military personnel and ran by a by the book sergeant major heavy on discipline and a new sadistic screw out to prove himself, 5 new prisoners arrive and don't make a good first impression.

Absolutely gripping from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

karma_ wrote: »
    the-hill.jpg

The Hill directed by Sidney Lumet with a pretty amazing cast including Connery himself with an great performance. Not seen this before tonight and it completely blew me away, A little over 2hr long but it hooks you from the start and doesn't let go and I never noticed the time go by. Set in a Prison camp in North Africa for military personnel and ran by a by the book sergeant major heavy on discipline and a new sadistic screw out to prove himself, 5 new prisoners arrive and don't make a good first impression.

Absolutely gripping from start to finish.

sounds great, will definitely take a look. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

Just watched "the dark valley", and was blown away by it. Sam Riley is the lead character in a german/austrian western. It was really interesting for me watching him speaking german, (playing the foreigner in a small mountain town,) when I only really know him from the Ian Curtis biopic Control.
    The visuals are stunningly beautiful, the music fit perfectly, and the story had me gripped the full length of time. I mean this as a compliment when I say it could have been a tarantino film.
    I'm not even sure if it's out in Ireland yet but im telling everyone I know about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement