Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Looper007 wrote: »
    I thought it was his best film since royal tenenbaums when it came out but that's not saying much cause the three films following it weren't any great shakes either. At least it had a nice performance from Bruce Willis.

It was just the first half that bothered me, I don't think the two kids were strong enough to carry most of it on their own, especially him. At times it felt like on Big Fat Quiz of The Year where they get the primary school kids to reenact the big news stories :) Like I said, it picked up in the second half once the rest of the cast were more involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Sat in and watched Johnny Knoxville in Bad Grandpa. A lot of hidden camera stuff, found it very funny. Even the wife enjoyed it and she doesn't usually go in for that type of humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

The Last Castle

Was on TV3 last night. Used to love the movie as a kid. James Gandolfini playing the smarmy, smug, morally corrupt prison warden type and he nails it. Plays a character that is great to hate! It is an awful movie though, not even enjoyable tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

last castle is excellent.

Watched Don Jon last night - don't waste an hour and a half of your life on it, absolute bullshít. It's one of those pieces of crap that you keep watching thinking something just has to happen, but don't bother, it doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Moonrise Kingdom

I'm slowly, very slowly, making my way through Wes Anderson's films. This one didn't really work for me. I enjoyed the second half, once they caught Sam & Suzy the first time. The first half though was a bit much. I know Anderson has a certain style to his films and generally I like it but it felt really weird coming from kids. All the scenes of them talking about mental problems and running around in their underpants just felt really strange to be watching. Once they were caught though and became more involved with the other characters it picked up and I enjoyed it a lot.

That sums up exactly what I thought of it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

last castle is excellent.

Watched Don Jon last night - don't waste an hour and a half of your life on it, absolute bullshít. It's one of those pieces of crap that you keep watching thinking something just has to happen, but don't bother, it doesn't!

I thought Don Jon was very good. Was a sensitive subject matter but I thought JGL tackled it well with some very good humour throughout.

I watched 13 Sins last night. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would, even though I hadn't heard anything about it. Only really watched it because Ron Perlman was in it. Only bad thing was the ending, for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

waking life

so long since I'd seen this, I haven't watched it since before the first time I watched before sunrise so I had no idea that delpy and hawkes characters were celine and jesse. thought that was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Non Stop- I expected this to be big dumb fun and it sure was. A throwback to the B movies of yesteryear. A part of me is saddened terribly to see Liam Neeson slumming it in movies like this, five years after Taken. Another part of me is delighted because if it wasn't him it would be someone far worse. He's not given much to work with but he does elevate proceedings. A paycheck earned.

It was more in the vein of Unknown then the two Tookens. Essentially another mystery story but someone has been on to those involved since 2011 because there is more bang for your buck than Unknown. Probably just as well because by the time the initially intriguing premise has been hamstrung by one implausible event after another lots of physics defying action is the only way that things can be wrapped up, without everyone wondering-"what was that about"? I did feel a bit cheated by the fact that when the big reveal occurs you have to wonder did they make it up on the spot because they were running out of time and money to get the film finished. The first hour is damn enjoyable though all the same.

It's great to be in Liams company for the duration of the film but I also think it's about the time were he stops making movies like this. I can't foresee another The Grey which capitalized on his tough guy appeal but managed to be an amazingly bleak and intelligent movie. I can, sadly, foresee another couple of Takens which might make us all look back on Non Stop as the last hurrah of the big mans action days.

Bottom Line- Enjoyable nonsense, elevated by Neesons presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Green Street (2005)

th?id=HN.608028757726790114&pid=15.1&H=238&W=160

I have seen this movie a few times, I really enjoyed each time I watch it, the fight scenes were really well done and very well shot.

I liked that the fight scenes were not for a few seconds or they don;t go on for too long,

I liked the story of the plot, how some can be drawn into this world

A Long with that we. have father who wants revenge that goes to far also we have betrayal as well and some heartache added into the mix.

It kind of a bit moving at times and little sad at the end of the movie, some may even say it be tearjerker ending .

Great acting from the cast, some make up effect, which makes fight look real!
    8 out of 10

Green Street Hooligans 2 (2009)
    th?id=HN.608038408514569478&pid=15.1&H=242&W=160

I would say this is the weakest of the 3, it not connected to the first movie as it a stand alone movie, just small parts about Hooligan.

Even if this movie was called something else, it would just about barley stand on it's own feet!

The plot was really weak for most of the movie, there not much they could do with it! and I just could not connect the male leader.

There are some okay fights scenes here and there but nothing to the impact of first or even 3rd movie in the series.

The acting was not good at all from most of the cast, I was not fan of anyone, I could not care less about who dies or who gets free.

Sub plot of movie with over top Bad cop or good cop, So silly and this movie was far to predicable.

3 out of 10

Green Street 3: Never Back Down (2013)
    th?id=HN.608049579719461387&pid=15.1&H=226&W=160

I actually liked this a lot better then the second movie. as this felt more like a REAL sequel to first movie. then this silly second sequel. (There are still not connections to first or sequel, it just another stand alone movie in series)

This movie about old firm lead who decided come back to old ways after he get called that younger brother as been killed in one of the fights.

We did get see this at start of the movie, it was little nasty as you seen head get smashed up at start of the movie.

I liked fact the show flashback of him and brother talking in black and white, I thought that good idea and add some thing to movie.

There were sometimes, I felt like I was watching bits rocky at times, with all training scenes, which kind of make movie a bit more slower pace in some places.

Adkins who back to his firm and get there Firm back on top, as battles everyone which each firm.very weekend.

There some okay fighting, here and there but there were lot high kick and kung fu going on in this movie.

And there were some normal fights, which was decent, some fight don't that long at time and some fights feel end in a blink of a eye.

There one or two turns in story that liked, which I thought, it didn't really add much to the rest of the plot/movie

5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

2 guns

I'd heard good things about this but I didnt think it was the best. Plot was ridiculous and it was shot like the director had spent way too many hours watching MTV.
    The only good thing about it though was the chemistry between Mark Walberg and Denzel Washington, they were great together and I'd definitely watch a sequel.......only a bit better scripted and directed one

We're the Millers

Jesus this was terrible. Movie making by numbers. Jennifer Anniston is way better than this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Scotty P

Seen Yves Saint Laurent last night and it has to be one of the most pointless films I have ever seen.

I fail to see why anyone would find it interesting.

It tells us almost nothing about the fashion industry and most aspects of this guy's life were dull.

Sexual promiscuity and copious drug use aside.. the chap did feck all.
    tunguska wrote: »
    We're the Millers

Jesus this was terrible. Movie making by numbers. Jennifer Anniston is way better than this crap.

:eek:

Know what I'm sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Scotty P wrote: »
    Seen Yves Saint Laurent last night and it has to be one of the most pointless films I have ever seen.

I fail to see why anyone would find it interesting.

It tells us almost nothing about the fashion industry and most aspects of this guy's life were dull.

Sexual promiscuity and copious drug use aside.. the chap did feck all.
    I was inundated with the trailer in literally every film I went to see in the past month and I feel like I've seen it 5 times already (a similar thing happened Saving Mr Banks last year). It just looks like a 2 hour advert to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Alien³ (1992)
    I was reading about the troubled making-of this lately and decided to watch it again (I last saw this about 10 years ago).
    It's a fine film, not amazing but strong enough. Charles Dance is very good and I thought that the score and sets were great. The film has been criticised for its bleak tone, I've even seen it described as nihilistic, but for me that's what sets it apart (i.e that it's less run-and-gun than the other films in the tetralogy).
    Unfortunately I only had the theatrical cut to hand, if I'm watching it again in the future I'll track down the Assembly Cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

tunguska wrote: »
    We're the Millers

I'd say she's worse. Literally the only thing I find her tolerable in is Office Space, and even then she's just Jennifer Anniston.

Free to Play

Dota 2 is an online multiplayer game which pits two teams against each other. A massive competition, with the best against the best, and a 1,600,000 prize takes place, and we follow a small number of the best and most respected players.

I loved this. I'm not a fan of online gaming, at all, and hadn't heard of Dota beyond a passing conversation last year. The main players all have their faults, mainly trying to forge a career in the growing professional gamer market, with their family getting frustrated and disappointed.

I genuinely wanted certain people to win. You see the matches, with some snazzy game CG that I think was made just for the movie (Just an assumption). Heartbreak, disappointment, joy and respect. One guy seems to have built a small following based on his willingness to help others out.

For me, this is another example of how to do gaming document right. King of Kong is so frustrating to watch because of its creative editing. What you see here is what happened. Some good people lose to others, and you feel disappointed and sad for them. Recommended to people who enjoy game movies, or maybe even online games. 8 / 10.

Resurrect Dead

The Toynbee Tiles are an urban mystery. What do they mean? Who the fuck put them there? Why? A small group of people fascinated with them try to uncover the mysteries.

This is gonna be hard not to spoil, but I'll try. The Toynbee Tiles are tiles that have been worn into the tar on roads. They often contain the same message, "Toynbee Idea, movie 2001, resurrect dead, on planet Jupiter." I first found out about them five or so years ago. Being on a completely different continent, I couldn't invest much into it beyond just reading about them online. They seem like the paranoid ramblings of someone scared of everything, but there's something more to them than that. Something about them makes you want to know the person who did it, and talk with him about his ideas.

I feel this is a film you just have to see. It being a mystery, talking about it at all beyond what the tiles are may be a spoiler. There's some debate on whether or not the film or aspects of it were faked. Certain things do seem to be a little too fantastical, so it's up to yourself to decide. Some quick searching, though, will show that all the things they uncovered are genuine. 7 / 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bad-Ass, with Danny Trejo. Was reminded to watch it now that Bad Ass 2: Bad Asses with Trejo and Danny Glover is out.

Astounded by how good it was - totally ridiculous, over the top, and intentionally bad in every sense - just magic. Really put me in a good mood, can't wait for Bad Asses now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 george_w_brush

midnight in paris

someone actually told me this was good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tom At The Farm - Xavier Dolan makes a 'genre' film, except he doesn't in the slightest. Borrows and subverts the aesthetics of thrillers, but sidesteps expectations at every opportunity. The result is interesting yet wildly uneven - there's lots of curious scenes and themes, but its odd melodrama is as likely to be as ridiculous as it engaging. Still, it's the work of a distinctive and ambitious young director, and is worthy of attention even if it's ambitions don't always hit the mark.

Starship Troopers - so I've been meaning to watch this for a while, as I'd never seen it and there seems to be renewed interest in it over recent years. There's two camps here - the side that thinks it's a misunderstood satirical masterpiece, and the side (mostly from back at release) who think its as dumb as action movies come. IMO it lies somewhere between the two poles.

Yes, at times it is a savage parody of war cinema and jingoism in all its forms. The adaptation and recontextualisation of fascist and military imagery is evident throughout. There's propaganda inserts throughout the film ('do you want to know more?') and Neil Patrick Harris shows up in an outfit seemingly nicked from Himmler's personal wardrobe. The ending is seemingly a typical '**** yeah!' moment, but is actually a rather grim indicator of the pointlessness and cruelty of war (that poor brain sucking bug!). Starship Troopers is everything about both real and cinematic warfare amplified to their ludicrous extremes, and in doing so often illuminates the absurdity and horror therein.

That's the film at its best. At the same time, the actual narrative is B-Movie hokum - satirically and enjoyably so at times (ridiculous giant bug combat is rarely boring), but not always. It can actually be quite bland and not nearly scathing enough in delivery - the relationships and characters are more dull than they are cleverly subversive. There is a vibrant clarity to Verhoven's direction as ever, but for every moment when the film highlighted the silliness and excesses of its subject matter there was a couple where it felt like it was just as much a slave to the same. It does usually course correct, though, and the final minutes are the film at its strongest. And the effects maintain a distinctly 90s charm that still hold up today despite their obvious age.

One thing, though: while I'd concede that the performances are meant to be purposefully bad as part of the film's comedic intentions, even by that low standard Denise Richards is absolutely appalling here. Easily one of the single worst performances I've ever seen in a film - and it's one that asks incredibly little of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love Starship Troopers, it falls into the same vein as Robocop and Total Recall where it's big and loud and dumb but actually makes some relevant points with what its satirising be it's 80's consumer culture and corporate greed or, in ST's case about war and military jingoism.
    Yes it's all very 90's teen drama and outrageously tongue in cheek at first but once the invasion starts and the setpieces begin it really cranks up a notch, the landing on Klendathu and the Zulu-esque siege of the outpost are still brilliant sequences even by today's standards the CGI holds up really well.
    There's a weight to the bugs that a lot of modern effects lack and the whole attack on the outpost scene is done in harsh daylight and still looks better than films that were released only a few years ago, and the score is still fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's enjoyable and I liked it when I saw it in the cinema. But, yeh, the acting was atrocious and even if it was meant to be, it still detracts from the film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mix_up

krudler wrote: »
    I love Starship Troopers, it falls into the same vein as Robocop and Total Recall where it's big and loud and dumb but actually makes some relevant points with what its satirising be it's 80's consumer culture and corporate greed or, in ST's case about war and military jingoism.
    Yes it's all very 90's teen drama and outrageously tongue in cheek at first but once the invasion starts and the setpieces begin it really cranks up a notch, the landing on Klendathu and the Zulu-esque siege of the outpost are still brilliant sequences even by today's standards the CGI holds up really well.
    There's a weight to the bugs that a lot of modern effects lack and the whole attack on the outpost scene is done in harsh daylight and still looks better than films that were released only a few years ago, and the score is still fantastic.

ever check out some of those forums where members perhaps think too deeply about subliminal messages etc

one I read about starship troopers was that the bugs don't exist at all , the whole bug thing is merely a way to dehumanise the " enemy " in the eyes of the public so as to make an attack easier to sell by government

absolutely love the movie myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

“Is Paris Burning” (1966) on DVD.

As the Allies advanced through France in 1944, Hitler sent a new commander to Paris with orders to either hold the city or raze it to the ground. This is the story of the ruthless German General Dietrich von Choltitz (Gert Fröbe) who gradually comes to realize the futility of his orders and the on/off uprising by various disparate resistance groups within the city as they await the arrival of the Allies. Using a combination of newsreel footage and new material a very effective movie was created.

is+paris+burning.jpg

Shot in black and white – the perfect medium for WW.II. movies, and with a star studded cast including Orson Welles, Charles Boyer, Gert Fröbe, Kirk Douglas, Anthony Perkins, Alain Delon, Jean Paul Belmondo, Glenn Ford;and with an excellent screenplay by Gore Vidal and Francis Ford Coppola the action rarely falters but it’s a tad long at almost three hours.
    9/10 and a keeper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First Blood (1982)

Just aired on TV3 tonight and I had nothing else on. It's the first of the Rambo films, and in almost every way it's a different beast from the three sequels it spawned - particularly the violent, gory fourth film released in 2008.

'First Blood' is a much smarter film than its successors might lead a person to believe and deserves analysis on its own merits really; John Rambo is a drifter, a Vietnam vet. suffering from PTSD and survivor's guilt, who gets dragged into a miniature war with some local cops and the national reserve. The PTSD angle isn't reading between the lines either, it's a central pillar of the plot and acts as a clever catalyst for the ensuing violence; a barely-coherent emotional breakdown from Rambo underlines this - Rambo's a broken man & is lashing out against a population that just doesn't seem to care. Mind you, he's still lucid enough that there's only one death in the whole film - a far cry from the aforementioned 2008 production.

The action itself is all efficiently told and the rural American setting really gives everything a rustic, gritty edge - it's Bear Grylls vs. the Police as Rambo lays traps in the forest and survives in the hills. What gives things extra credibility is that the Police themselves are not inherently evil, corrupt or detestable so we can delight in their misfortune and injury; sure, Brian Dennehy's character is a hotheaded jerk, but he's not written as someone we're to hate without question - everything that goes down is as much because of misunderstanding as anything else (ok, Rambo is attacked in the police station, but there were chances for everyone to climb down). Equally, Rambo himself is not really an audience surrogate or projection - there's no real glorification in his actions - the last scene emphasises this.

If you've ever avoided the Rambo films because of their reputation, I'd give this first one a go; it's a smart, clever actioner that touches on some deeper nerves about what can happen soldiers when they return home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The novel Starship Troopers was quite influential in military circles...
    While powered armor is Starship Troopers' most famous legacy, its influence extends deep into contemporary militaries. Over half a century after its publication, Starship Troopers was on the reading lists of the United States Marine Corps[23][24] and the United States Navy.[25] It is the first science fiction novel to have appeared on the reading lists at three of the five United States military branches. When Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers the United States military was a largely conscripted force, with conscripts serving two-year hitches. Today the U.S. military has incorporated many ideas similar to Heinlein's concept of an all-volunteer, high-tech strike force. In addition, references to the book keep appearing in military culture. In 2002 a marine general described the future of Marine Corps clothing and equipment as needing to emulate the Mobile Infantry.[26] In 2012, an article on the US military buying ballistic face masks specifically referenced the "big steel gorilla" of Starship Troopers.[27]

I personally love the film. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

Fastest (2011)
    The subject is motorcycle racing. A very specific kind, the worldwide MotoGP division. The film is narrated by Ewan McGregor and features quite a number of riders in its 1 hour 50 minutes running time. But most of the attention is on two riders, the great Valentino Rossi who has been the best for over a dozen years, and the newcomer, Jorgë Lorenzo, who seems to be destined to be the next "great" one.

Closer to the Edge (2011)
    The Isle Of Man TT Races are familiar to motorsport fans around the world as the Holy Grail of roadracing, an astonishing course set over, in, through and around 37 and a bit miles of the Isle Of Man's countryside, mountains, towns, villages and 'road furniture'. Riders blast through narrow country lanes with stone walls, lamp-posts, kerbs...at speeds approaching 200mph.The star of the show here is Guy Martin, the part-time lorry mechanic, part-time superbike racer, full-time charismatic rebel who has the talent, drive and popular support of a great champion but has never won a TT. Will he do it this year ?

Knuckle (2011)
    Anyone who has seen the Irish traveller fights on Youtube, and wants to get a better understanding of the story behind these fights - should watch this documentary. Credit to the director - as this is the culmination of 12 years work. I can't think of any other documentary that is shot over such a long period.

I think Starship Troopers is one of those films that you needed to see at a certain time to truly get. For many of us it would be one of the first 18 certificate films that we saw and there's that tinge if nostalgia to it. If I was to watch it for the first time now I can't see myself enjoying half as much as I did when I first saw it. I still like to revisit it every couple of years but there's no denying that some of the acting is atrocious and it's not nearly as satirical as it could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think Starship Troopers is one of those films that you needed to see at a certain time to truly get. For many of us it would be one of the first 18 certificate films that we saw and there's that tinge if nostalgia to it. If I was to watch it for the first time now I can't see myself enjoying half as much as I did when I first saw it. I still like to revisit it every couple of years but there's no denying that some of the acting is atrocious and it's not nearly as satirical as it could have been.

We're not all pipsqueaks sonny. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I watched The Hobbit : The desolation of Smaug last night, I have to say I was very impressed - just like the 1st one, I was very cynical about them splitting the Hobbit films into 3 at 1st, but they are doing a fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

“Is Paris Burning” (1966) on DVD.

Would love to see this picture with it's original soundtrack. Unfortunately, I've only been able to see the dubbed version. A version with English, German and French would be great.

It also misses out of the fractured nature of the resistance movements involved in France at the time too. It comes across a bit too happy clappy.

A good film though, with tons of cameos.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Insidiuous last night on Blu Ray - what a waste of money that was. Starring Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne (whom I genuinely like as an actress and kinda fancy) but it's just an awfully cliched "horror". The lines are cheesy, their delivery is awful, the story makes huge leaps in places, Wilson is wooden and the "stunts" are so bad you will cringe and overall I just felt like I was watching a bad remake of a Paranormal Activity movie. I can't believe the relatively high-scoring this has on the imdb and equally shocked there's a sequel. One of the worst horrors I've ever seen. 2/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Insidiuous last night on Blu Ray - what a waste of money that was. Starring Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne (whom I genuinely like as an actress and kinda fancy) but it's just an awfully cliched "horror". The lines are cheesy, their delivery is awful, the story makes huge leaps in places, Wilson is wooden and the "stunts" are so bad you will cringe and overall I just felt like I was watching a bad remake of a Paranormal Activity movie. I can't believe the relatively high-scoring this has on the imdb and equally shocked there's a sequel. One of the worst horrors I've ever seen. 2/10.

I think that's very harsh. ya its clichéd but what main stream horror film isn't these days. Its been a while since I've seen it but I remember enjoying it for what it is. I don't know what you were expecting but a 2/10 come on its deserves more than that. I seen Mama recently and insidiuous is a hell of a lot better than that IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement