Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I'm currently going through a Korean Art-House phase.
    Funnily enough I watched Secret Sunshine last night. Wonderful film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

e_e wrote: »
    Funnily enough I watched Secret Sunshine last night. Wonderful film.

Which criminally never got a release over here. Even Third Window couldn't justify it. I wonder sometimes how many About Elly/Secret Sunshines there are floating around in distribution purgatory that we never hear about unless the director happens to make it big with a later film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yeah at least it urged me to get the Criterion Blu-Ray though. Gorgeous looking release. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Killer Joe

A film, set in a small Texas town, about what happens when a young man named Chris hires a contract killer to kill Chris's mother.

Basically the film is like Fargo but set in Texas and doesn't fit as much into it's runtime as Fargo did but the story it tells, it tells well. The film is not about a killing or attempt to kill per se, more about the people and events around that crime. Mostly a dry, darkly comic story about a dysfunctional dead end southern family and their interactions with Killer Joe, who is played with scary intensity by Matthew McConaughey.
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Finally caught up with 'Take Shelter' last night - very powerful and at times terrifying. The ambiguous ending fits very well with the rest of the film imho

That's a great film and Michael Shannon is well suited to the leading role. He has a face that just looks haunted so anything that involves someone going through some sort of life and death trouble or psychological trouble, he's basically perfect for. Anything where he plays that kind of character is very watchable, even My Son, My Son, What Have ye Done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Paddy" (1970) I had been saving this one for Christmas but last night I could wait no longer! A brand new VHS tape purchased from the USA last year - it never made it onto DVD. I find that there's something special about a new VHS tape - probably the sharpness and quality - rare these days when most tapes I buy are well used secondhand ones. Anyway, the movie is set in Dublin city in the rare oul times (1970) - little traffic, classic cars, traffic flowing in the opposite direction to the way it does today on the quays, pubs with a blue haze in the them from cigarette smoke, girls in mini skirts...Actually it's the latter which is the main concern of the movie which centres on the sexual adventures of Paddy Maguire (Des Cave) and his friend Harry Redmond (Milo O'Shea) - tame stuff compared to what's available these days but entertaining nonetheless. Based on Lee Dunne's novel "Goodbye to the Hill" but considerably watered down to get past the film censor. 9/10.

paddy-movie-poster-1970-1020233424.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just watched Ruby Sparks, just a brilliant film, dano and kazan give great performances and i was shocked to find out the Zoe Kazan who plays ruby in the film actually wrote it,

its a shame that films like this get lost amongst the hustle of awards season,

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Check out her other lead performance in "Sound Of My Voice". I preferred Another Earth, but it's an interesting movie

Just watched this. Absolute mindfu*k. In a way, it was quite similar to Another Earth in that
    the big reveal leaves you no wiser as to what the hell's actually happened. Though in this film, there were just too many loose ends which left me feeling like the script didn't really know what was happening either.
    Some powerful scenes though, an interesting concept and not at all as predictable as you might initially think. I read over on imdB that it was meant to be part of a trilogy, but I don't think it performed well enough for that to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I been watching many horror movies during October! two or even 3 some days in, As it the Halloween month.

I stated of with
    100 Feet (2008) as been one of dozen of movies I got on my watch list.

I really enjoyed this movie, I did not expect it too this good,

This horror movie is more slow burner for first hour or so, so where there any scare scene in the movie they are very unexpected, there have then at right moments.

The last half hour movie really puts everything into at once, there was one scene what was very nasty and really brutal n this movie.

The only downside to this movie was how they ended it story of the plot, it didn't feel that it fit in with the rest of the movie,

The acting was not bad at all, there were moment they went little over the top with one or two scenes.

7 out of 10

The Ambulance (1990)
    I only found out about this movie a few months ago, when first heard the name of the movie thought it be about Ambulance kills people, that not what the plot was.

Josh meet this girl on the road, that flirting with her and then Ambulance pick her up and later he goes to see her, only to find out she didn't go to hospital, then Josh tries solve what happened to her, others become involved and go missing after they picked by this Ambulance .

I don't know what to make of this movie, i found the movie very entertaining there was a lot action in this movie, with some really good dark Humor in this movie, with work well with all the action and drama in the movie

The acting is this movie could been a lot better then it was from some of the people in the cast and same could be said about the fight scenes in this movie was not that well done.

I liked how they ended the movie, it was very fitting ending of the movie.

There was one think that I did not under stand was, why was is killing people in first place, I don't I may of missed something or i had too read between the lines.

6 out of 10 well for really dark humour.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)

I have no idea what to make of this movie, it seem really odd for people to document a killer,

I just don't understand why would anyone what to do that!

I did not think this movie was scary, creepy or even funny, some reviews said it was funny, i did not laugh at anything in this movie, there were maybe one or two jokes in this that falls flat.

I did not find it boring, i found it really odd and I felt puzzled most of the times of the movie. and knew how the movie going end, way before the half away mark.

4 out of 10

Angst (1983/I)
    I wasn't to sure what was going expect by this movie, it add a surreal plot to it.

The plot played out really well, we get know why and how he as become so insane, due to childhood.

The movie was really short, which is good think, as it did not get boring at all.

The last scene, really gave the creep, I found the extras a little creeping as they all were keeping on eye on him. in dinner scene.

And why would they follow him to car to see him to feed a dog?

The acting from main lead was outstanding, he really did look insane.

Short movie with surreal plot! and some things that didn't make sense to me. 6 out of 10 (Really for the acting)

Angel Heart (1987)
    More of mystery then horror, but as some really good chilling moments near the end of the movie,

There is a lot of action, movie flows really well with mystery element and I did not once look away from scene to check the time as the movie not stop from keeping intact,

The twist in way, i Kinda knew what was going to happen, cause they gave easy clue way to early in the movie,

However Only I knew a part of the twist but still I was Still shocked the second part of twist, I did not see that coming at all.

l loved the last scene in the movie, very well done, chilling

Great acting from everyone in this movie 7 out of 10

Alone with Her (2006)
    Alone with Her is a 2007 American suspense film directed by Eric Nicholas about a tech-savvy stalker who uses spy cameras to force his way into the life of a young woman.

The first 20 mins were little creepy as when he talking to other people and they had no idea that were being filmed,

This movie was little boring and i was slowly fast forwarding the movie in bits, then last five minutes of movie were things start to happen and the ends

The ending was not to keen on it and there is also alternate ending. which I didn't like either.

This for me falls in the I have no idea how to rate this movie.

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
    I can see why there a lot fuss about this early in the year,

it was really fun movie, I enjoyed second part of movie more then first part

I didn't expect all hell to break lose near the end of the movie, there were some really funny moment in this movie.

There one scene that made me Jump, the part when we first see the wear wolf, I did not see that coming.

There humour in this movie was bit hit and miss, the big miss with silly big hand end.

7 out of 10

Blood Car (2007)
    I Like the sound of the plot, i thought it be a really funny movie but I did not enjoy this movie at all.

I not did found this movie funny at all, all of Jokes were just really bad fall flat before then even ended.

The rest of the movie I found it dull from to start there wasn't anything really keeping me into the movie.

This could have made this a lot better with some better and funny jokes that worked, the ones in here did not work at all.

There is one good thing i can about this is that there was one good bloody scenes that only stick to my mind.

The movie dying from the start then go on stick the nail in coffin even before the movie fished with last scene, which was not funny on any level.

That was joke too far!

The acting in this movie was poor from most of the cast.

1 out of 10

Boy Eats Girl (2005)
    This movie got the bad taste out of my mouth after seeing blood car, this movie however is was fun movie.

Even this movie had stereotype teens, who looked like they in mids 20's playing teens, if you can get past that.

You ended up really enjoying this movie.

A boy declares his love for his girlfriend, only to die the same night. He is brought back to life by his mother as a flesh-craving zombie

I found this movie so-what Original, with mum bringing back her son after he killed himself.

Also enjoyed some really decent funny moments in this movie that work really well with the rest of the movie.

There were some really good bloody messy scenes in this movie, which were fun to watch. 7 out of 10

Apollo 18 (2011)
    Seen this now, i don't know why, I have been avoiding this one over the year. I was expecting it to be really dull and boring movie..

It was not as boring as I thought it was going to be, well start of slow like all the other found footage movies then gets going before the half hour mark.

I found really enjoyable for most of part of the movie, there was decent amount of Jumps scene in this movie. some jumps scene worked and some missed the mark a little.

The acting was really good from small cast crew, the ending was really predicable.

As I had low expectation of this movie, I found it much better then thought it was going be, not one of best Found footage movies, Decent movie for this genre 5 out of 10

Grave Encounters 2 (2012)
    Not a fan of first movie, there were a lot horror fans who really enjoyed it, I had to it see twice, I must of missed something on my first watch however I felt the same on second watch, but still going to say the first movie id so much better then this silly sequel.

It's start of with people number of people review the first movie, then kind have jabs at found footage movies near the start of the movie. then it Kinda of drags for next 45 minutes.

For the first half hour we follow the teens who are making there own really bad slasher movie in this movie. then finally get building 35 mins mark of the movie

While teens are talking about the first, we see them showing on there phones and internet about first movie, here and there in this movie.

After 45 mark the things start going bump, here and there, for next 15 minutes, with a lot screaming and running around.

I did jump with the first scare scene in the movie, then later scary scenes, I just found really funny, the creature you can see in poster, I did not find it scary at all in this movie.

Then Lance makes long hair come back near the last half hour in the movie, still eating rats by the way, then the last hour was really about him, how crazy he has become being trapped in the building and some connection to the other side.

Won't ruin ending, cause, Well tell you Truth that I didn't really get it.

2 out of 10 , I gave first 4 out of 10

Body Melt (1993)
    I saw the trailer for this movie, it look like it could be really good B- movie,

The start of the movie was not too bad, with really wooden acting from everyone.

Then the movie just get way too Cheesy and really silly, I was watching the movie, like blank , trying not take anything more in, i turned off early before 40 mins mark,

I won't rate it, as not see the whole movie, I don't think I missed anything unmissable, I just need to see the whole movie, so it can been fairly rated,

When I see the full movie, I will a rating for this ?? out of 10

Sinister (2012)
    I was really looking forward to this movie, I went to every first showing on Friday, Too my local cinema, even took the day of work, this was very first movie I have saw in Cinema this year.

Another horror movie shows too much in trailer, the most of scare scene were already seen in the trailer, it kinda takes the scare away from the movie, as we already seen it,

There twos other scenes that thankfully were not in the trailer, one of them did make me Jump and there one scenes I found some what creepy.

Normal I don't silly stuff, this really annoyed me in some parts, Main lead hears a loud noise but no ones else seem to hear it, even the next night, when he falls, makes noise and starts screaming really loud, No one else seem to here or come by after he fall thought the floor!

The other thing that really annoyed me was the really loud shouting scenes, it was over the top and was not needed at all, my head start hurt!

This movie as Nothing we not really see before in pass horror movies, For me this me kinda drag on a little, when we finally know the story.

Then they rush the the ending as it's gets way too predicable, there one scenes that really reminded me of Insidious as well.

talking about Insidious, I was not big fan of it but I Would watch that over this any day.

5 out of 10

Abominable (2006)
    I have also seen this shop and I never pick up, I thought it sound like really bad b-movie.

I found this B-movie really enjoyable, the acting is not that good, however it fit in with the rest of this b-movie.

There really good scare moments in this movie, that worked really well, I did not expect from this movie.

I wish they showed the Bigfoot a bit less, the parts of the movie see parts of him, found it be little scary, when we finally see the whole Bigfoot.

It's was too bad, i found it little to goofy and not scary. they could of made him look a lot more scary.

Harry looks more scary this Bigfoot and I love Harry Hendderson 6 out of 10 good b-movie

Altitude (2010)

Better then sounds, The characters in this movie were not that likable at all,

so you didn't really care f they were killed or not,

The were some two good moments in this movie that about really, there not any scary scenes or any anything gory or bloody scenes,

This movie had too many long slows scenes, try to make you warn to them, but script, makes you hate then even more,

The creature was not at all,it was scary at all, it was decent, It could have been much worse.

I didn't understand some of stuff in the plot, this can be little confusing at times.

The twist at the end not bad at all,

5 out of 10 Decent horror!

Body Parts (1991)
    This was really good gruesome thriller.

Story is self was not all that great, A Guy loses his arm and He get's Killer Arm, which is can not control's at times.

I like the fact movie flowed really well, there were not boring at all, there were some very gruesome deaths scenes near the end of the movie, which I did not expect all at all.

I really enjoyed the whole movie, I liked how the story ended.

The acting from everyone in cast, well some of cast were really good, there could have been better.

I don't know if was the acting or not, his wife really annoyed me at times.

Overall I give this movie 7 out of 10 really Good movie.

Inside (2007)
    for the first time, With this did have some Hype when he first came out, I did see the trailer in the year, I wasn't to keen on it.

Most reviews are really good the this movie, there are few who give it one (Which dose baffle me) however this was one HELL of Amazing movie.

The first scene is very bloody, there already been crash, we only see the aftermath.

The rest of the first half of the movie, start's of little slow, the build up the tension slowly.

There was one dream scenes really got to me, I know I be thinking of that tonight, then the movie goes bloody messy.

There was some really good intense moments, I was thinking of even turning away from watching it.

The second half of the movie was so bloody, as this movie keeps on going it's getting even more bloodier and nasty until the end of the movie.

The only downside to this movie is that some scenes are little too dark that you can not make things out.

The acting form everyone in this movie was outstanding 9 out of 10

Dolls (1987)
    I normal hate it when the a movie as dream scene near the start of the movie, for this I found the dream scene really fun and a little cute.

Judy step mum- is one hell of Evil Nasty b***h, God what the hell is wrong with her and her Dad as to one most nasty and silly parents in the world. (She better off without them)

I just could not wait for the dolls to kill them, they got what they deserved.

some of the dolls were really creepy and all the razor sharp teeth makes look even more scary and there was some bloody moment in this movie, I would not say gory.

I love effects near the end of the movie, the scene. what happens to the father was really good, the good old cheesy 80's effect are great fun to watch.

The acting was really good from everyone in the movie 8 out of 10 Great fun movie.

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012)
    I loved first movie, I did not like PA 2 that much, I had fun watching PA 3. Which I think I enjoyed the most out of four.

This one is got to be the worst movie of series so far,no were near as good 1 or 3, even worse them PA 2 (Which I did not like)

The scare scene in this movie really tame down from 3rd movie, none them were really affecting at all, the ended it to quick and moved on to the next scene, like nothing happened, that how it feels thought out the whole movie, some of the scare were so bad that was almost funny.

There also some scenes that add nothing to the plot, they put in the

movie for the sake of it,

there's is no aftermath. (We Have to deal with the fact, they had no idea that happened, the scene i am talking about is one You see in the trailer with girl floating off the bed.)

As the movie goes on, I did not follow the story, I got confused, where the story was going. I did not understand , Andy soon starts seeing Toby as well thanks to what Robbie did, he also seem go missing near Latter part of the movie.

The only parts I really enjoyed were last 2 or (3 max) minutes of the end, there are some good enjoyable scene to watch, which some may find scary.

The acting was really decent of from the whole cast,

4 out of 10, Worse in the series by FAR!

ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest 2 (2011)
    I enjoyed the first the movie, I didn't think I would like, I really did but can't say the same about this sequel

This movie started of where last movie left off, which I liked and then movie went down hill as the movies goes on.

I just didn't like where they took the story at all, as I didn't like the plot, it was hard to enjoy it however the kills in this movie are really creative some really good gory death scenes in this movie.

The acting in this movie was hit and miss from some of the cast members

Not as good or as fun as first movie but decent kills makes this good slasher movie. 5 out of 10

Wrong Turn 5 (2012) Wrong Turn 5
    Yes there five now, this movie was just really messy, everything was Messy the acting. the plot, the scripts was really bad, well some of death were Decent but nothing as fun or as gory as second movie in this series
    3 out of 5

Also Re-watched Final Destination 1,3 and 5, Hell raiser and The Thing (2011)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Fracture with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. A solid 7/10 crime case film. Nothing amazing but good viewing all the same. Keeps you guessing about one aspect until the end. It could have developed Gosling's character a bit more.

Watched Martha Marcy May Marlene the other night. A decent film, it's about a young woman who's run away from the cult-commune she was in for the last few years and her subsequent attempt to reconnect with her sister, her only family, and just that little convalescent period into which is also cut flashbacks from her time with the cult up to the time of her departure. Best thing about the film for me was that it got me turned onto Jackson C. Frank, a renowned 60s folk singer. Didn't care that much for Martha Marcy's character though.
    She acted during the 'now' portions of the film as though she was in a state of acute shellshock and had forgotten basic social norms and etiquette. It wasn't exactly Heaven's Gate that she had joined, more like an indie Manson family and I didn't see any intensive brainwashing or indoctrination, only the expected peer pressure. She had a traumatic time with them but I didn't see how that 3 or so year period was supposed to have fundamentally altered her perception of right/wrong, appropriate/inappropriate behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

D'Agger wrote: »
    The Great Debaters (2007)

A very good movie with Denzel at his best, well scripted, and well delivered by a good cast.

Solid 8.5/10, would recommend it.

one of my favorite films

frankenweenie - very good film , tim burton at his best again

the campaign - not as good as i thought it would be

one day - great storyline with a good ending

taken 2 - pretty good sequel

reel steel - though hugh jackmans acting was bad at times in this , ok film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

killer Joe

it's hard to know what to say about it really. i thought it was good but weird. certainly a weird ending anyway.
    Matthew mcconnahey is brilliant in it.
    over all id recommend it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Vengeance - hyper-slick and thoroughly enjoyable thriller from Johnnie To. Johnny Hallyday plays a semi-amnesiac who travels to Macau when his daughter's family are murdered (she just about survives). Our antihero swears he will get bloody revenge, and hires three hitmen to help him out. It's a generic setup, but the film is extremely stylish and directed with great confidence. There's some bits that are over the top and a bit silly, but there always countered by terrific setpieces and well handled moments of quiet contemplation and cooking (yep, cooking - characters stop to eat with great regularity). The dialogue is predominantly in English, with some French and Chinese - few of the actors are native English speakers, so it can be a bit wooden, but it's a small concern.

Recommended for fans of the vastly inferior Taken and its ilk - Vengeance is a fine example of how a director with a keen narrative and visual eye can elevate uninspiring material into something more engaging than it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Shame & V for Vendetta,

Thought Fassbender was very good in Shame, tough movie to watch at times but overall worth a watch.

First time seeing V for Vendetta, which I enjoyed but not as much as I thought I would, given the hype my friends surrounded it with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"50 Dead Men Walking" (2008) Based on the true story of IRA informant Martin McCartland. A gripping and, in my opinion, realistic portrayal of the dangerous life of an informer in Belfast of the late 1980s. Ben Kingsley as the humane RUC Special Branch handler and Jim Sturgess as the reluctant IRA man turned informer are very believable in their roles - no CSI type rubbish here. However, it's not a movie to watch if you're feeling depressed and I'm going for something light this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

50 dead men is a good film.
    i just watched ill manors by ben drew not bad but some dodgy parts
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1760967/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Sadako 3D (2012) also know Ring 3

This movie is was more of Re-Boot, it dose not follow the same as past sequel in the ring Series.

This movie did NOT have any of then ring feel to at all,
    As this time there a cure video tape online, as soon as you watch you, you will die by Killing your self. (So there no, you will did in Seven days in this movie at all)

The plot was not great, it odd way to take the plot however I did not find it boring, i found little inturting the way took the plot.

I saw this in 2D (I Still like 3D movies) But this movie, took the 3D to another Lever, first 2 minutes 20 things already heading toward your face and to make even worse, some of those 3D are in slow motion.

This movie was not scary at all, There no tension and creepy feel in this movie.

Near the end of the movie when Sadako come back (I can not stop laughing, While i am typing this ) They turned her into some kind CGI creature and legs have spiders like, there about 20 of them. CGI for most of the movie horrendous.

This movie unbelievable bad, so bad it kind of funny on some level 3 out of 10
    I got post you picture Sadako (If I can find one)

484496_470372986315362_350065661_n.jpg

Something Evil (1972 ) I never heard of this movie before, I had no idea that Steven Spielberg, was one who work in this low budget movie.

It's was not bad movie, this were some good spooky moment in the movie, the baby crying was creepy at first but then got annoying as goes on for bit to long,

There are some scenes in this movie, which are ALL MOST the as is other movie that made 10 years later Poltergeist. (Is little Girl in both movies)

This movie was little short, i Thought, ending, it felt the story still going, then about then second later the credits are rolling,

I felt there should have been a little aftermath of just happened but no! The acting well, the both good and bad, this was a TV movie.

Worth watching

The Mothman Prophecies (2002)
    I been trying to see this for while, After hearing the plot, it did have hint of a Final Destination feel to it,

However this movie has the gloomy ambience that the FD movies should all have. The first one did come close and so did the fifth one but the rest sold out for gory shocks. (Still Love FD SERIES)

With The Mothman Prophecies (2002) what makes this movie, is the impending sense of doom in Mothman is the best thing about it.

Mothman is incredibly suspenseful movie and makes you think it is also as some really good chilling moments

The actin was really good, the effect the bridge scene were really well done, I love the whole dreams that come true.

This movie was tad to long for a plot like this but, they did not drag out any scenes for too long, they made the movie flow really well, there was not one moment where I was bored, with or with act action scene.

This is not really a horror, it more of a Thriller, that a really chiller movie.
    Really Good movie 7 out of 10, what the Hell I give it's 8 out of 10

Blackwood Evil (2000 )
    This must of been cash in on TBWP, This is so boring, I could not get into this movie at all, there was not second, I was actually in trusted .

There way to much arugments going on for most of the movie, saying the same thing over and over again,

I Stopped it at just before the hour mark.
    Nothing happen in first 52 minutes at all, just talking about thinks that have happned in the past in the house.

The acting was very bad at times as well. no scary scenes at all.
    No rating at the moment.

Last Days Here

A documentary that follows Bobby Liebling, singer of obscure 70s Heavy Metal band Pentagram, as he attempts to finally rid himself of his addictions and finally cut a fully fledged studio album, with the aid of a super fan who also acts as his manager.

Good underdog story and as we come to him, Liebling is pretty much a walking anti-drugs ad, scarred from years of heroin and crack addiction but he's not a nasty man, just a very f'd up one. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who watched and enjoyed Anvil:The Story of Anvil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Got around to watching Mission Impossible 4 Ghost Protocol last night. Surprisingly good I thought, definitely worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Watched The Hidden Face | 7.5 / 10
    If you like missing person type movies with a twist,this is for you.
    Watched the sub title version not sure if there's an English version.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772250/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Exiled

Another superior action thriller from Johnnie To, and I'd put this a few notches above Vengeance. Given the director, the fact that it's a stylish genre film riddled with brilliant setpieces and giddily suspenseful build-ups is a given (have rarely seen gunplay as visceral as this). The edge here is that for a film so proudly cool and slick there's actual moments of poignancy, and the stakes are convincingly high for the chracters. It's a compelling, well-told alongside its slick thrills.

Anyone with an interest in Hong Kong action cinema, or indeed anyone with an interest in action films and thrillers in general, will find a lot to like here. A clever mesh of influences - from John Woo to Hollywood Westerns - this is a case where style does not automatically preclude substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

briany wrote: »
    Watched Martha Marcy May Marlene the other night. A decent film, it's about a young woman who's run away from the cult-commune she was in for the last few years and her subsequent attempt to reconnect with her sister, her only family, and just that little convalescent period into which is also cut flashbacks from her time with the cult up to the time of her departure. Best thing about the film for me was that it got me turned onto Jackson C. Frank, a renowned 60s folk singer. Didn't care that much for Martha Marcy's character though.
    She acted during the 'now' portions of the film as though she was in a state of acute shellshock and had forgotten basic social norms and etiquette. It wasn't exactly Heaven's Gate that she had joined, more like an indie Manson family and I didn't see any intensive brainwashing or indoctrination, only the expected peer pressure. She had a traumatic time with them but I didn't see how that 3 or so year period was supposed to have fundamentally altered her perception of right/wrong, appropriate/inappropriate behaviour.

Yes, but the reason she acts so mental at her sister's house is because she possible IS mental. That's what they were trying to imply. Was she even in a cult, or was it all in her head? You should change your name to NOTSOBRIANY.:D:D

Just joking, I didn't cop it myself until the very end. The whole way through I was saying to myself "It's fine, but I don't see what all the fuss is about." Until the end...her reaction in the back of the car...

Yes, but the reason she acts so mental at her sister's house is because she possible IS mental. That's what they were trying to imply. Was she even in a cult, or was it all in her head? You should change your name to NOTSOBRIANY.:D:D

Just joking, I didn't cop it myself until the very end. The whole way through I was saying to myself "It's fine, but I don't see what all the fuss is about." Until the end...her reaction in the back of the car...

Cheek! :p

Well, the thought of it being a fabrication never really came to my mind because the sister seemed surprised at Marcy's strange behaviour so there wasn't much to say that mental illness was a part of Marcy's past, before the cult/group/Mansonesque family episode of her life. It could still have been the case and the writers were just being naturalistic about it, not having the characters have a slightly unreal "well, you know, Marcy, you had all that psychological trouble" scripted conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

briany wrote: »
    Cheek! :p

Well, the thought of it being a fabrication never really came to my mind because the sister seemed surprised at Marcy's strange behaviour so there wasn't much to say that mental illness was a part of Marcy's past, before the cult/group/Mansonesque family episode of her life. It could still have been the case and the writers were just being naturalistic about it, not having the characters have a slightly unreal "well, you know, Marcy, you had all that psychological trouble" scripted conversation.

It's been a while since I saw it now, but I feel that the mental illness was a recent development. So you are right in what you're saying, she was not mentally ill before.

Did it happen? Didn't it happen? That's the question. It's so subtle I'm not surprised that people missed it. As I said before, I nearly did myself until the very end.

The scene that I will point to that suggests heavily to me that she is mentally ill, and that the entire cult experience is a manifestation is the party scene. In that scene she clearly has some sort of breakdown. She accuses the bartender of being a spy or even a memeber of the cult. Which suggests some kind of paranoid delusion, because we know that he is not a memember of the cult.

All in all, I feel like at the end of the film you are not supposed to know whether or not it was real. I think that's what the film makers set out to do. Leave it so people like us, and other film fans will be discussing it. The film itself gives enough reasons for either argument to be true.

But MOST importantly, I'm right and you're wrong.:D

Hodejegerne

MV5BMjE4OTgzOTI2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM5MDg0Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Fairly decent thriller from Jo Nesbo. Got a bit sloppy around the end with it trying to be overly smart.

Askel Hennie is great as always. (Check him out in Max Manus: Man of War. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029235/ Its a top notch WWII action thriller.)

7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Watched House of 1000 Corpses last night, saw The Devil's Rejects last year. Pretty messed up, was definitely rooting for the victims over those fcuked up hillbillies. I thought the latter was decent, while the former had its' moments but was more or less shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, 'House of 1000 Corpses' is a load of old bollocks, but 'The Devils Rejects' is pretty decent. The ending is great. it could almost be the video fro 'Freebird'.

looper: wasnt the best , i thought it was a bit dead at some points in the film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched Garage tonight on Netflix, really enjoyed it great performance from Pat Shortt and was spot on capturing life in a rural irish village.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement