Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sideways 2004

Completely charming story of two middle aged men of contrasting types in California's wine country for a week :)

Wonder is this what prompted Michael Winterbottom (not to mention James May & Oz Clarke) to go on various trips ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Sideways 2004

Completely charming story of two middle aged men of contrasting types in California's wine country for a week :)

Wonder is this what prompted Michael Winterbottom (not to mention James May & Oz Clarke) to go on various trips ;)

Love that movie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

The first movie was quite good. I remember watching it and afterwards thinking not only was it a good movie but it was a really good comic-movie. It really stood out.
    Winter Solider is meh tho. Just take it as a movie that you can watch if you got 2 hours to spare but you will forget it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

The Stag

Saturday afternoon, I was in need of “a cheap laugh” so decided to give this a whirl. Even on the basis of going in with no expectations, there is not a single thing I could say to give this movie an ounce of credibility. As a couple in our late 20s/Early 30s I would have assumed we were the target demographic of this film, but it was terrible!!
    The dialogue was cringey and so much of the humour was based on jokes that were not funny 10/15 years ago when the “D4 Type” was mocked and parodied in every irish comedy platform, and a strange form of American college language that at times I thought I was watching American Pie 37: The Oirish Bachelor Party. I will give a special mention to Brian Gleeson here for being exceedingly cringey, it was like Neli Delemere being thrown in at the deep end!!

It was a comedy, without the comedy. Mrs Gucci wanted to turn off after 15 mins but I made her sit through it, assuming there would be at least that “one” moment that every comedy movie surely has….but alas no. So predictable and stale, I feel sorry for genuine film makers struggling for funding when this is the kind of half assed thrown together thing that gets funded, supported and promoted.

Avoid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

We watched Lake Mungo on Saturday night...
    www .rottentomatoes.com/m/10011050-lake_mungo/

a surprisingly excellent movie... A sort of ghost story/horror, but it really isn´t, to be honest..

what it is, is a very well put together mockumentary of the sudden disappearance of a girl and the aftermath and the fmily trying to contact her, and find out what happened..
    Can be a bit slow moving at times, but you will find yourself surprised at the end of the movie, as it is a high quality movie from a medium to low budget...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Enemy (2013)

The last scene alone ruins the film .

rubbish - which is a shame it started with so much promise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Europa Report (2013) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Actually surprised me, the whole film was quite decent untill the very last scene which was a bit daft to say the least..
    I mean what the hell did this squid eat for the billions of years humans weren't on that moon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Fort Apache the Bronx" (1981) on YouTube via Wii.
    Paul Newman, Ed Asner and Rachel Ticotin. New York cop drama depicting life at one of the roughest precincts in the city. Drugs, prostitution, revolutionary gangs, cops on the take, serial killers and the movie never flags despite running to just over two hours. Paul Newman puts in a strong performance as a cop with a conscience in a cesspool of humanity.

Worth watching if only for the sight of gorgeous Rachel Ticotin in one of her earliest screen roles as Newman's love interest.

51PKRp5vaiL._SX342_.jpg

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Paprika

Japanese anime about scientists who build a device that allows psychotherapists to enter and record their patients dreams in order to help them. One of the devices becomes stolen and the thief uses it to alter reality.

Some fantastic artwork and imagery throughout. The marching band of dolls, microwaves, frogs, robots, fridges etc is brilliant.

In a way it's similar to Inception where the characters are travelling through various dreams and unsure whether or not they're in reality or still dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The Sure Thing (1985)

One of my favourite's from John Cusack, what's happened to his career lately it's all straight to DVD recently, with the wonderful but barely seen since Daphne Zuniga (Spaceballs) in Rob Reiners follow up to the awesome This is Spinal Tap. College freshman Walter (Gib) Gibson decides to go cross country to visit his friend in California during winter break. Awaiting there is a bikini-clad babe whom his friend assures him is a "sure thing". Meanwhile, Allison, a cute (but somewhat anal retentive) girl at Gib's college has also decided to head out to Cal. to see her boyfriend during break. Gib and Allison are thrust together on a road trip from hell, and somewhere along the way, they find each other's company to be tolerable. Now, what will become of Gib's "sure thing?". It's not a patch on Say anything but Cusack is on top form here and Zuniga hangs on in there with great cameo's from Tim Robbins especially. It's a sweet Romantic Comedy. 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^I prefer The Sure Thing to Say Anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PandyAndy wrote: »
    In a way it's similar to Inception where the characters are travelling through various dreams and unsure whether or not they're in reality or still dreaming.

Not just similar in concept ;)http://stayforthecredits.tumblr.com/post/18731199273/bjornstar-inception-vs-paprika

While they are ultimately both very different films, it's good to see Nolan respectfully homaging a film that must have had an influence on his own work. Although Darren Aronofsky has always been more vocal about Satoshi Kon's influence on his style, including some shots lifted more or less directly from Perfect Blue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Perfect Blue is fantastic. Supposedly Aronofsky bought the re-make rights just for the bathtub scene in Requiem for a Dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman (2011)

A not entirely accurate account of the late actor and writers life in animated form featuring Chapmans voice from beyond the grave. Lots of sex, drugs and violent scenes in various school and university labs. Each segment of the film is animated in its own style, some more pleasing than others - the Biggles WW2 section looks glorious with a very amusing punchline "What about me?" "**** off Ginger!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah lads, you're leaving out "Better Off Dead", which features one of my all time favourite 80s comedy lines:

Love it! :D

That said, the first time I saw Nicolette Sheridan in "The Sure Thing" I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I was only 12 though :D

A few years back I would have thought you were mad for saying. Now it's far closer maybe nearing to overtaking it, I just have Say anything ahead for it's wonderful script. I just find Cusack far more likeable and human in this and Zuniga is far more loveable then Ione Skye character.

Ah lads, you're leaving out "Better Off Dead", which features one of my all time favourite 80s comedy lines:

That said, the first time I saw Nicolette Sheridan in "The Sure Thing" I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I was only 12 though :D

Cusack hates Better Off Dead supposedly, I just remember it for the paperboy :pac:. Nicolette Sheridan hasn't aged too badly either, it's a wonderful film and one of Rob Reiner's most underrated works deserves a proper DVD/Blu Ray release.

Looper007 wrote: »
    A few years back I would have thought you were mad for saying. Now it's far closer maybe nearing to overtaking it, I just have Say anything ahead for it's wonderful script. I just find Cusack far more likeable and human in this and Zuniga is far more loveable then Ione Skye character.

I've only seen Say Anything once and it was a while ago but I just remember thinking they were both really annoying, I didn't care what happened to either of them. Whereas with The Sure Thing they're both annoying enough to make it believable that they don't like each other but likable enough to believe it when they start to like each other.

I must watch Say Anything again to see if my opinion holds up but I think The Sure Thing is safe at the top of my John Cusack 80's film list.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Made the mistake of watching the Oldboy remake out of curiosity, it was awful.

Thankfully I watched You're Next right afterwards and it was great. A thoroughly entertaining slasher film, not particularly scary but a tonne of fun and a heroine you can really root for.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Cusack hates Better Off Dead supposedly

Really? Now it's been years since I last watched it but I loved it as a teen anyway!

Paperboy: 2 dollars….

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I do have a soft spot for these guys:

and it's trippy at some points!

better-off-dead-burger-thumb-560x373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Perfect Blue is fantastic. Supposedly Aronofsky bought the re-make rights just for the bathtub scene in Requiem for a Dream.

Been ages since I have seen that...rewatch ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Chef

Decided to give this movie a try and I'm very glad I did. I smiled pretty much throughout. The scenes where they prepared the food were great and there was just enough of them without overdoing it. The cast all had great chemistry, Robert Downey jr bossed the small scene he was in. Nice soundtrack too.

The only downside is there really wasn't much of a third act, but in a feel good movie like this I don't think it was completely necessary. 8/10

Just watched Bachelorette on Netflix.

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a film. I love Isla Fisher, I wanted to be Kirsten Dunst when I was a tween and everyone likes Lizzy Caplan. So seeing all 3 of them in a film together sounded wonderful. It was not.

This is basically The Hangover, or Step Brothers or Anchorman or any other of those male led "comedies" but with women in the leads. Except they seem to have written the script for men and then just thrown in a few lines about bulimia and abortion to make it more lady friendly. It's a disaster. Three extremely unlikable women do a bunch of horrible stuff the night before their friend's wedding, a wedding they begrudge their friend, I guess because she's fat. They all end up with boyfriends though at the end of it so I guess everything is fine.

Just watched Bachelorette on Netflix.

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a film. I love Isla Fisher, I wanted to be Kirsten Dunst when I was a tween and everyone likes Lizzy Caplan. So seeing all 3 of them in a film together sounded wonderful. It was not.

This is basically The Hangover, or Step Brothers or Anchorman or any other of those male led "comedies" but with women in the leads. Except they seem to have written the script for men and then just thrown in a few lines about bulimia and abortion to make it more lady friendly. It's a disaster. Three extremely unlikable women do a bunch of horrible stuff the night before their friend's wedding, a wedding they begrudge their friend, I guess because she's fat. They all end up with boyfriends though at the end of it so I guess everything is fine.

So you took that option over Jagten/The Hunt? :eek::rolleyes:;):D

So you took that option over Jagten/The Hunt? :eek::rolleyes:;):D

I'm very sleepy today and subtitles would have knocked me out. I'll go to bed extra early on Saturday and watch it Sunday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Watched Springbreakers the other day, the worst film I've seen in a long time, I can't believe I watched it to the end.

• Advertisement

irish son wrote: »
    Watched Springbreakers the other day, the worst film I've seen in a long time, I can't believe I watched it to the end.

Springbreakers is a favourite around these parts, prepare for the backlash!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement