Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

Watched "Warrior" this weekend. Tom Hardy & Nick Nolte.

I was expecting it to be fairly decent, and I loved it. Incredible movie, very deep. Characters were wonderful. I personally thought it was the best "Rocky" type movie I've seen in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Indie Game: The Movie, really enjoyable, was cool seeing how Super Meat Boy became the success it did, really good watch for anyone remotely interested in video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

God Bless America great Satire on how much of an infulence reality TV like X-Factor American Idol Jersey shore has on peoples lives in America. This from Bobcat Goldthwait (He's come along way from Police Acadamy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

we are legion.
    it's about the internet group anonymous.it's excellent, a really interesting documentary.

stolen.
    Nicholas cage is in this. it's an action movie and a very bad one at that. don't waste your time or money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Yesterday I saw
    Lady in White (1988)
    This was not what I expected at all, I thought it about Haunted school by a Lady in white, (By the title)

The first Half or so , where really lighthearted , it felt bit kids Halloween movie as first, then we get ghostly part of the movie. (Which wasn't really creepy.)

Then the movies goes Mystery away, finding out who the attack or Killer was, (Some clues long the away, which make sense in the end,)

I liked it how it was revealed who the attack was, it something so small give away, some of the of the fantasy scenes were really pointless.

Some of effects this movie looked really outdated now, I think they should just kept Halloween theme though out the movie, (However this could be watch at Halloween and Xmas).

However I felt missed out on the aftermath of the whole story, Wanted to see people find who the killer was, it never get to see that, which I way going give this movie. 7 out of 10

From Beyond (1986)
    I really enjoyed this movie, the time flew by while I was watching this,

there never any boring moments in this movie, I don't think I even took my eyes of the TV screen for the whole movie.

This movie was a a lot fun to watch. with some really good old 80's effects. I love the 80'S Effects were really amazing in this movie and little gross at times.

The acting was really good from the cast and I liked the ending of the movie really well

There something missing of this movie, I can put my finger on it
    6/10

TODAY I stared AT 5am to watch (No ones wake in house yet, still dark out side) Perfrct time to watch!

The Exorcist (1973) (Not seen for few months)
    I lost count of how many times i have seen this movie, It loses some impact, if watch too often,

I Can see why a lot people find this movie scary (Also can see why some people don't find that scary)

, it dose have some scary moment in this movie, there some scenes that will creepy you out, Like head spin (Which I found little funny) and stab-ing scenes, some may find hard to watch.

The make up effect makes were good, she looked scary as hell.

Linda Blair who played Regan MacNeil was absolutely amazing in this movie, the way she acted in this movie, felt like it actually happened to her, made it so real.

Over the years there as be so many Exorcist movies, not one of them made look as realistic as this movie,

9 out of 10

The omen (1976) at 7am - I loved this movie,one of my favorites movie of all.

The Entity (1981)OH MY GOD, Why Has it taken ME so long to see this movie again, DAME this movie Was Absolutely Amazing. (I have NOT seen for 20 years or something)

This movie dose not take long to start at all, It got me of guard and scared the hell out of me in first attack scenes.

This movie was frightening good, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole movie, some of attack scenes were really hard to watch, I was actually trying not look at scene when it happened.

Some scenes are really intense in this movie , I had shivers go down my back

The acting this movie was outstanding from the whole cast. I loved everything about this movie
    I need to get this DVD as soon as possible (This movie as also entered into my top 5)
    10 out 10 (I Just Jumped cause a Door as just slam shut!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Tindie wrote: »
    Yesterday I saw
    Lady in White (1988)
    This was not what I expected at all, I thought it about Haunted school by a Lady in white, (By the title)

The first Half or so , where really lighthearted , it felt bit kids Halloween movie as first, then we get ghostly part of the movie. (Which wasn't really creepy.)

Then the movies goes Mystery away, finding out who the attack or Killer was, (Some clues long the away, which make sense in the end,)

I liked it how it was revealed who the attack was, it something so small give away, some of the of the fantasy scenes were really pointless.

Some of effects this movie looked really outdated now, I think they should just kept Halloween theme though out the movie, (However this could be watch at Halloween and Xmas).

However I felt missed out on the aftermath of the whole story, Wanted to see people find who the killer was, it never get to see that, which I way going give this movie. 7 out of 10

From Beyond (1986)
    I really enjoyed this movie, the time flew by while I was watching this,

there never any boring moments in this movie, I don't think I even took my eyes of the TV screen for the whole movie.

This movie was a a lot fun to watch. with some really good old 80's effects. I love the 80'S Effects were really amazing in this movie and little gross at times.

The acting was really good from the cast and I liked the ending of the movie really well

There something missing of this movie, I can put my finger on it
    6/10

TODAY I stared AT 5am to watch (No ones wake in house yet, still dark out side) Perfrct time to watch!

The Exorcist (1973) (Not seen for few months)
    I lost count of how many times i have seen this movie, It loses some impact, if watch too often,

I Can see why a lot people find this movie scary (Also can see why some people don't find that scary)

, it dose have some scary moment in this movie, there some scenes that will creepy you out, Like head spin (Which I found little funny) and stab-ing scenes, some may find hard to watch.

The make up effect makes were good, she looked scary as hell.

Linda Blair who played Regan MacNeil was absolutely amazing in this movie, the way she acted in this movie, felt like it actually happened to her, made it so real.

Over the years there as be so many Exorcist movies, not one of them made look as realistic as this movie,

9 out of 10

The omen (1976) at 7am - I loved this movie,one of my favorites movie of all.

The Entity (1981)OH MY GOD, Why Has it taken ME so long to see this movie again, DAME this movie Was Absolutely Amazing. (I have NOT seen for 20 years or something)

This movie dose not take long to start at all, It got me of guard and scared the hell out of me in first attack scenes.

This movie was frightening good, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole movie, some of attack scenes were really hard to watch, I was actually trying not look at scene when it happened.

Some scenes are really intense in this movie , I had shivers go down my back

The acting this movie was outstanding from the whole cast. I loved everything about this movie
    I need to get this DVD as soon as possible (This movie as also entered into my top 5)
    10 out 10 (I Just Jumped cause a Door as just slam shut!)

what are your top 5 as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Guitar

A woman is diagnosed with an acutely terminal and inoperable cancer, so she decides to use her remaining time to just indulge by charging up all her credit cards, buying all the things she always wanted to and since she will be dead by the time the bill comes around and she apparently has no heirs or next of kin, she does this with great abandon.

Interesting kind of a film. Reminded me a bit of Goodbye Salo because it has that same kind of dry, ultimately pointless and bittersweet slice of life feel that Salo had. That, and I enjoyed the melancholic portrayal of the characters' surroundings in both films as well.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    what are your top 5 as a matter of interest?

1) Braindead AKA Dead Alive (1992)
    2) The Thing (1982)
    3) The Omen (1976)
    4) The Birds (1963)
    5)The Entity (1981)

6) Pet Sematary (1989)
    7) The Eye (2002)
    8) Carrie (1976)
    9) Black Christmas (1974)
    10) The Evil Dead (1981)

11) Ju-on- The Grudge (2002) today knock out the top ten,

The Expendables 2.

*fart noise*/10

Why do I even bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Green Mile

Just watched this masterful film again for the first time in years. And it still is as powerful, moving, brilliantly acted and simply wonderful as I remember.

Even though it clocks in at over 3 hours, it certainly does not feel like it. There are so many stand-out turns from the cast (Harry Dean Stanton as trustee prisoner Toot-toot, Sam Rockwell as William 'Wild Bill' Wharton, David Morse as Brutus 'Brutal' Howell... the list of stellar acting turns contained therein is incredibly numerous).

Of course, the ending is still as moving as ever. It never fails to produce some tears, whether it's full-on, uncontrolled blubbering or just a few silent, sad tears. How this film did not win any Academy Awards is beyond me.

A modern classic. 10/10

American History X

This is a remarkable film, and it's also 'The Edward Show'. Edward Norton and Edward Furlong are both at their best here, Norton being totally believable in the scenes where he is the neo-Nazi that the Waffen-SS could only have wished for. And his horrific and cathartic redemption is also believable.

Furlong is also believable as the innocent-eyed younger brother who is in danger of walking straight into the minefield of Neo-Nazism that Norton has just managed to extricate himself from.

The flashbacks to the past in black and white, the present in colour is a good tool.

The horrific violence and racism is very difficult to watch at times, but this is a brilliant film and well worth a look...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Holcroft Covenant" 1985 - charity shop .50c newspaper promo DVD - I was robbed! Ludicrous storyline about a plan to start a Fourth Reich using billions hidden in a Swiss bank account, hammy acting, over complicated plot and even the presence of the great Michael Caine cannot save this movie. Hard to believe that it was directed by John Frankenheimer - he of "The Birdman of Alcatraz", "The Manchurian Candidate", "The Train", "Ronin" etc.etc.... AVOID - 1/10 and that's only for seeing Michael Caine. It's being donated back to the charity shop today. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Edz87 wrote: »
    The Expendables 2.

*fart noise*/10

Why do I even bother.
    i was thinking the same thing last night, some pile of crap, loads of people raging
    how good it was,hmmmm not for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched The Descendants last night. Not the kind of film I normally find myself drawn to, but it was really good. Child actors were excellent. Beautiful postcard shots of the Hawaii landscape throughout the film. It was directed by the same guy who did Sideways and About Schmidt.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

livinsane wrote: »
    Watched The Descendants last night. Not the kind of film I normally find myself drawn to, but it was really good. Child actors were excellent. Beautiful postcard shots of the Miami landscape throughout the film. It was directed by the same guy who did Sideways and About Schmidt.

Hawaii? ;)

I really enjoyed The Descendants. I think it suffered from all the awards hype it got before it was even released over here so there were people being snobby and refusing to enjoy it just out of principal, and then there were people expecting amazing things and may have been let down by the slow pace and not a lot really happening.
    George Clooney running is hilarious, he should run in all his films.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Haywire

It was nothing special I wont lie, it does have a good cast but ust felt like your typical spy thriller with nothing new really on offer and although Gina Carano made some very niceeye candy I didnt find her or the film really engaging. One thing I did like was seeing Dublin on film and not in the chessy stereotypical way were used to seeing Ireland portrayed.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)

Few years ago, I found this movie more scary then first movie, now that seem back to back closer to each this time around.

It's not bad sequel at all, it decent Follow up, there were some bloody moment in this movie which I really liked.

When first time I saw this movie when the face coming out of the mattress, it scared the hell out of him (I slept on sofa that time) This time I already on Bed watching this, it didn't have affected then it did the first time.

The acting was really good, I expected to be a little be more gory then it was.

7 out of 10

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)
    seen once before, one scene as always stood out to in this movie, scene when girl skin torn of her body in the movie. (I enjoyed that scene)

The plot was little confusing at first with a the whole dream angle of the movie, (It makes sense at the end of the movie) , some parts of the movie, I felt like i missed something long the away,

This is a lot gory then second movie, which I did enjoyed nasty gory bloody scenes,

What bring this movie down is really horrendous acting from the whole cast and half the things they say don''t fit in with scene that just happens, scripts was really bad.

One scenes that really cracked me was . The Priest. Demons aren't real. They're parables, metaphors. Joey, as the doors open and Pinhead enters] Then what the BEEP is that?

I have no idea, what meaning of the last scene meant.

5 out of 10

Cube (1997)
    I really enjoyed this movie, I love the nice gory start of the movie, people waking not know how they got there and have to avoid traps. (SAW 2 must of been inspired by this movie a little0

There were some nasty kills in this movie, some good twist and turns in this movie, which keep little on edge.

There were some really over the top acting from some of cast members. There were some really good acting from some of cast.

I going to give this movie 7 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

First time for me finally getting to watch these movies properly and fully, plus finishing up on my spooky movies I lined up over Halloween :)

Carrie

Donnie Darko

The Wolfman

All excellent movies, I think I had to grow into Donnie Darko tbh as I can see now how cool a movie it is! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Silent Hill Revelation.

Less than half the budget of the original and it shows; not remotely as engaging, disturbing, atmospheric or climatic in its direction; but kudos for some incredibly grotesque creature creations, which almost make the entry fee worthwhile.

For die hard fans only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

saw Sinister earlier, fairly creepy horror, probably one of the better ones ive seen, not really that into horror films really,

must comment though at one point a woman in the crowd let out a scream when someone on screen lit a lighter, fair play to her hanging around, the whole place started laughing:D

Poltergeist (1982)
    I seen this movie so many times, I Love more each time I watch it.
    It's may not be the scariest movie made However I really enjoyed the whole movie, from start to end.

This movie dose have some moments you may remember well after the movie is over,

there some scene that make me laugh a little as can be tad silly but still love those silly scenes, fit in well with the rest of the movie.

Some of effect well really decent for the time,

The acting in this movie was really good from the whole cast

8 out of 10

Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)

This sequel was not as good as first movie at all, it was decent follow up.

I found this movie a little be more creepy then first movie as the tall old man Taylor , Man was he really creepy.

I found some parts of the movie a little dull at times, I did get little bored at times, didn't flow like the first movie.

The ending was really nice (Maybe little chessey for nowadays) and fits in with the the movie.

The acting was really good from the whole cast,

6 out of 10

Poltergeist III (1988)
    This first time I saw this movie full, I never full seen the whole people movie, I have seen bits and bobs of the year.

This movie was weakest of the series for sure, I didn't think all that bad, This time is only girl they come back for this sequel and the rest of cast didn't come back for this sequel.

This movie had a strange plot, there were some decent moment in this movie, that were worth watching, nothing scary or creepy like first movie.

Some of effect in this movie were hit and miss but mostly miss really, as felt really out of place for this movie.

Some of acting in this movie was really bad from some of the cast members , the rest of the cast was really good.

The ending was okay but could have ended better then that.

4 out of 10

• Advertisement

London River

A middle aged and very English woman encounters a very African man as they both search for their offspring in the wake of the 7/7 London bombings.

Very nice little drama. Brenda Blethyn has to be up there when it comes to touching portrayals of vulnerable middle aged women. Another good one from her and there's a fine supporting cast all around.

Go

Snappy late 90s crime-comedy about a group of friends and one night where a drug deal they are all involved in goes awry. The film is broken into three sections, each one detailing the events of the night as experienced by a person or persons connected to the deal.

Really entertaining film and definitely not one that lulls too much thanks to the episodic format that the film has. Certainly one of the better comedies from that half of the decade that I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The Raid: Redemption

Ultra violent snore fest, such a repetitive film. Might as well be watching a video game. One for the little boys I think.
    Why did the police guys keep on ignoring weapons? They just left their guns and knifes on the ground....lame.

3/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

One for the little boys I think.
    Is it really necessary to make a crack against people who enjoy the film? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

briany wrote: »

Go

Snappy late 90s crime-comedy about a group of friends and one night where a drug deal they are all involved in goes awry. The film is broken into three sections, each one detailing the events of the night as experienced by a person or persons connected to the deal.

Really entertaining film and definitely not one that lulls too much thanks to the episodic format that the film has. Certainly one of the better comedies from that half of the decade that I have seen.

Haven't seen it in a few years but did love Go when I watched it.

Felt like a Tarrintino film in a way. I'd says fans of Pulp Fiction would really enjoy Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Bad B movie,but LOL bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Safe House - OK

Haywire - charisma vacuum of a lead and a pretty poor script. Hey, Dublin!

The Iron Lady - pretty good, but it felt very Hollywood.

Ultra violent snore fest, such a repetitive film. Might as well be watching a video game. One for the little boys I think.
    Why did the police guys keep on ignoring weapons? They just left their guns and knifes on the ground....lame.

3/10

I agree that the film is certainly not all it's cracked up to be. It has a fantastic set up and I found the beginning where they are preparing to infiltrate the tower block to be a nice tense piece of work. After that, the film was just a frenetic kick-punch-block fight fest. Very very repetitive action. Fine for what it is, if you like action films, but certainly not the genre transcending masterpiece that some reviews would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

One for the little boys I think.

Now see here little lady....

Just joking, I agree largely with what you're saying, I liked it but didn't think as good as it was made out. P.s they left their guns on the ground because they were out of bullets. One thing I will say for it, in it's defense, is that everything made sence, there was nothing unexplainable logic wise.

Deadfall

Excellent movie, I really loved it.

Total Recall

Good action sequences, the middle is good, and then it peters out towards the end.

The Savages

Better than average, I might pick it up on blu ray when the price comes down.

Cube 2: Hypercube (2002)
    This is my second time watching the whole cube series,

I have seen all 3 once before and out of the 3 movies, I could remember anything from this at all and Now I know why.

First move was something new and fresh at the time, it had some really good plot, nice gory deaths in the movie, it was fun to watch and acting was really good for first movie.

This movie felt nothing like the movie at all, there not one think that I liked about this movie.

The movie took far to long for anything nasty to happen, for about hour we need sit though people bickering and what they going to do,

I asking my self, where the hell are the traps, I was bored of the movie just before hour mark, So I hard to fast forwards last half hour.

The death were not gory or nasty at all, they were Utter rubbish and the same can said for acting from most of the annoying cast

If the last scene was meant to be some kind of twist, I didn't really care, why that Happened, I was clad the movie ended.

1 out of 10

Cube Zero (2004)

This movie was a much better sequel then Cube 2, Which was just a waste of time.

This had a great opening scenes, very gory start to this movie, which I really liked.

The plot was little different of last 2, this times we see what going on in The Cube and also going on outside of the Cube.

This was better then Cube 2 but no where near as good as the first movie, The deaths scene in this movie was really nice and gory at times and fun to watch.

And I at the end that when I really understood why this was Called Cube Zero and liked how it ended.

The acting was really good from the whole cast,

6 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Wreck it Ralph

I really enjoyed it :D Great to see an original Disney animation, and not just a 3D re-release of an old one! It was so funny and a great storyline. Characters you will love, as always! Plus lots of retro gaming references for us oldies! But I am just a big child anyway :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement