Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Springbreakers is a favourite around these parts, prepare for the backlash!:D

How? It's such a stupid and ridiculous film.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

irish son wrote: »

There's an entire thread about it, but the short version probably distills down to "some people have different tastes to you".

I saw God's Pocket tonight and enjoyed it a great deal. Solid direction for a first feature, some fantastic dialogue and a great cast. It was quite poignant watching Philip Seymour Hoffman in it, particularly
    the scene near the end where he collapses and the guy driving his van crashes into someone, initially leaving it unclear whether Hoffman's character has survived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It's an annoying, exciting, baffling, tedious, hilarious and beautiful mess of a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I really enjoyed it. The James Franco/Britney Spears "Everytime" piece was one of the most memorable scenes and a highlight of cinema for me in 2013. Perhaps you're taking it a little too seriously?

Have a read at what others think:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83985145

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but equally, others are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Transcendence

Ridiculous, sentimental, unbelievable, poorly scripted rubbish. Tried hard to be a decent sci fi movie but failed in execution.

Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Step Up 5 - its rare I see a movie with no redeeming qualities. Even say Mrs Browns boys had something. Step up is one of those movies, garbage from start to finish. Never seen anything quite like it.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Step Up 5 - its rare I see a movie with no redeeming qualities. Even say Mrs Browns boys had something. Step up is one of those movies, garbage from start to finish. Never seen anything quite like it.

TAKE THAT BACK! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Jaysus, 5?
    Are they ever going to get upstairs?

Jaysus, 5?

There can be no valid excuse for watching step up 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jaysus, 5?
    Sure they only got to street level with the sequel.

• Advertisement

Inbetweeners 2 as the other half wanted to see it. I liked the TV series a lot, but the first film disappointed me greatly. Same here, average comedy at best, the only amusing part for me was Jay's opening monologue as to how well he was doing in oz. Overall it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a 2nd effort at a TV show trying to make a movie. 4.5/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ I don't understand the concept of only doing 2/3 series of a show with only 6 or so episodes in each one and ending it before it gets stale only to go on and milk the crap out of it with 2 films.
    Ricky Gervais with The Office and David Brent spring to mind here too.

The rain made me finally give in and watch Dark Shadows on Blu Ray with Tim Burton at the helm and starring Mr. Depp (almost obligatory for a Burton flick), Michelle Pfeiffer, Eva Green, Chloe Grace Moretz, Helena Bonham Carter (see Mr. Depp comment) and Johnny Lee Miller amongst others. I've never seen a single episode of the original tv series on which this is based and hadn't heard anything about it so came to it relatively cleanly. Comedy-horrors would not be a genre I'd usually have much time for but I have to say I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Depp is Depp so you'll either like or hate him in this, but the real star for me is Eva Green. As effortlessly sexy as she is as a brunette, she's even hotter blonde and steals every scene she's in (the bonkers sex-fight scene being particularly memorable). The 1970s soundtrack works really well too. Overall, a surprising 6.5-7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Why would you watch that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Captain America The Winter Soldier

I enjoyed the hell out of it, great action blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Transcendence

Ridiculous, sentimental, unbelievable, poorly scripted rubbish. Tried hard to be a decent sci fi movie but failed in execution.

Meh.

I am Jacks bubbling sense of disappointment....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Blue Ruin'

Offbeat low budget film, which is best served going into with as little fore-knowledge as possible.

There are no frills to this 'Kickstarter' funded gem. It's a grim, fairly realistic take on its subject, with no silly characters or, given its concept, overly outlandish situations.

The direction is spot on and doesn't falter. It looks great and the acting is decent all the way through, from the largely unknown cast. The characters are engaging enough, although there is really only enough time to get roughly detailed sketches of most of them, as is pretty usual in a film of this length (90+ mins).

8.5/10

I won't leave the usual trailer for this one.

Sex Tape with Jason Segel and Cameron Diaz amongst others. Now I should preface this by saying I like a lot of Jason Segel stuff, but there's something about pairing him with Cameron Diaz (a la Bad Teacher) that seems to kill his funny gene. This is just awful, a complete and utter mess and revolves around a married couple who try to spice up their sex life by making a sex tape which gets leaked and the "hilarity" that ensues in their efforts to get it back. I love gross-out comedies but this fails on every level - poor script, poor acting, poor everything really. And the ridiculous amount of apple product placement gets very tiring very quickly (and I say that as an apple loyalist). I didn't laugh once in 90+minutes. An appallingly awful 1/10.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Blue Ruin'

Offbeat low budget film, which is best served going into with as little fore-knowledge as possible.

There are no frills to this 'Kickstarter' funded gem. It's a grim, fairly realistic take on its subject, with no silly characters or, given its concept, overly outlandish situations.

The direction is spot on and doesn't falter. It looks great and the acting is decent all the way through, from the largely unknown cast. The characters are engaging enough, although there is really only enough time to get roughly detailed sketches of most of them, as is pretty usual in a film of this length (90+ mins).

8.5/10

I won't leave the usual trailer for this one.

Has this had an Irish release yet of any sort? Really want to see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I saw it at JDIFF but I think it got a brief run back in May. It’s out on Blu-ray in September. It was treated as VOD fodder unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭hardweir

Watched Cold In July last night and absolutely loved it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO63ccU6ce0

The acting from all was excellent although Don Johnson may have been slightly over the top.
    Good to see the director,Jim Mickle back on form.Loved Stakeland but was very underwhelmed by his last effort We are what we are.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Has this had an Irish release yet of any sort? Really want to see it.

It actually got a pretty wide release here a few months back. It was shown in most of the IMC cinemas around the country and most had it for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

After re-watching Chasing Mavericks on Saturday (and currently reading Frosty Hesson's version "Making Mavericks"), myself and the better half were in the mood for another surf flick and stumbed across Drift last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. While not as closely based on real events or as big budget as it's American counter-part, it's action shots of the surfing are breath-taking and contrast beautifully with the rest of the movie which is shot in that straight-forward style you picture as soon as you hear the words "Australian Cinema".

Definitely one to watch if you've any interest in surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Over the weekend I got to watch....

Sucker Punch - All style over substance here. Looked lovely and all but no story really. However it does have good action scenes and the girls are not unattractive on the eye;). But thats about it really. 5/10

The Man with the Iron Fists - Kung Fu movie, which despite its bad reviews I rather enjoyed. Stars Russel Crowe and Lucy Lu amonst others and once more it has no real storey to get into but good fight scenes and looks lovely. 6/10

Kick Ass 2 - Not sure about this one. Liked the first movie but thought that this was missing the spark of the original. Picked up about half way through and I enjoyed the ending. Again 7/10

Over all a kung fu, kick ass kind of weekend. All films watchable, noting great though.. Just three more films from my list to mark off..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Sacrament'

A somewhat disappointing, yet surprisingly OK film by horror hacks, Eli Roth ('Hostel')and Ti West ('The House of the Devil'), that retreads the well worn ground of "Jonestown" in an attempt to update the story.

The genuinely disturbing story of Rev. Jim Jones and his doomed commune is one of the most chilling episodes in the library of extreme religious/political fanaticism and the sheer amount of people involved is always baffling.

West's picture doesn't really come close to capturing the horror of "Jonestown", relabeled "Eden Parish" here, or the creepiness of the real life Jim Jones, despite following the story closely enough and having a great central performance from Gene Jones (no relation :pac: ) as "Father". The "found footage" schtick is really losing its charm at this stage, too, and it suffers here from the usual maladies that affect the gimmick. The cinematography is way too good and the actors always look like they're acting, both of which completely defeat the purpose of the so-called "found footage" documentary.

In the end, the viewer is left wondering why the producers just didn't make a film about the real life events, instead of making subtle changes and shooting an inferior version?

It's worth a look and it's a passable film, even if things seem to fall apart too quickly in the last 30 mins. But it's bound to be a letdown to anyone who knows about the real "Jonestown" events.

5/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Sleepy wrote: »
    After re-watching Chasing Mavericks on Saturday (and currently reading Frosty Hesson's version "Making Mavericks"), myself and the better half were in the mood for another surf flick and stumbed across Drift last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. While not as closely based on real events or as big budget as it's American counter-part, it's action shots of the surfing are breath-taking and contrast beautifully with the rest of the movie which is shot in that straight-forward style you picture as soon as you hear the words "Australian Cinema".

Definitely one to watch if you've any interest in surfing.

Newcastle is another Australian surf film worth checking out for the surf shots alone. There were some pretty cool underwater shots, if I remember correctly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ye should give Riding Giants a watch if you want another surfing fix, it's a documentary but very well made, directed by Stacy Peralta of Dogtown & Z Boys fame. Has a good section on the history of Mavericks in it.

Should give Big Wednesday a look too, the all time classic surf buddy movie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

What does the Electric Boogaloo in the thread title refer to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I watch this today:

"Banshee Chapter" - (available on Sky On Demand)

...and I watched this yesterday:

"The Sacrament"

I found Banshee Chapter suspenseful and it made me quite jumpy. I would recommend it.

I found The Sacrament to be just an okay movie but it did unnerve me quite a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

whirlpool wrote: »
    What does the Electric Boogaloo in the thread title refer to?

It refers to a fantastic sequel, this thread is a sequel!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement