Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

whirlpool wrote: »
    What does the Electric Boogaloo in the thread title refer to?

Breakdance 2! I actually have the soundtrack of it on tape/cassette somewhere! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nothing but the truth

Drama about a journalist who goes to jail to protect a source. The identity of a CIA agent has been revealed and that's a federal crime

The story is well known and I remember seeing Sean Penn and Naomi Watts in a similar film. That was vastly superior

Very well known cast in this one but I didn't like it much at all and they never made this real life story interesting

Not a terrible film but I would not recommend. Watch the other film about this CIA affair

1.5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Has this had an Irish release yet of any sort? Really want to see it.

Sorry Mickeroo, didn't see your post.

As already mentioned by others above, it had a release, but I didn't know about that.

I saw it on DVD.

It refers to a fantastic sequel, this thread is a sequel!

Thanks for the trailer - that gave me a laugh! For those of you into rap, believe it or not, the guy doing the VO/rap on that trailer is……Ice-T. This was before the "Power" album (obviously!). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks for the trailer - that gave me a laugh! For those of you into rap, believe it or not, the guy doing the VO/rap on that trailer is……Ice-T. This was before the "Power" album (obviously!). ;)

Ah ya, his voice is pretty distinct. Im 99% sure he had a small part in the movie too but its been at least 25 years since I watched it. For some reason I dont want to watch it again.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have a sneaky suspicion I will be watching Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society very soon.....

Ah ya, his voice is pretty distinct. Im 99% sure he had a small part in the movie too but its been at least 25 years since I watched it. For some reason I dont want to watch it again.

:pac:

Yup, the closing scene involves a concert and ice is rapping on stage as it closes. My god how do I remember these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Locke:

Wasn't sure what to expect from this having only seen a teaser trailer. It's not a bad movie but it's one that I'm glad I got to see on my own. Would not recommend watching in a group as , given the fact that it's based in a car, there isn't much to it visually & unlike the only movie I can compare it to (Phone Booth) - there's no high octane suspense. That said there are some nicely shot scenes thrown in, it was fluid and well put together.

I enjoyed the dialogue and thought Tom Hardy did a great job as the Welshman trying to do the right thing whilst clearly struggling with past demons.

6.5/10 - It's nothing special but not a bad movie all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

hardweir wrote: »
    Watched Cold In July last night and absolutely loved it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO63ccU6ce0

The acting from all was excellent although Don Johnson may have been slightly over the top.
    Good to see the director,Jim Mickle back on form.Loved Stakeland but was very underwhelmed by his last effort We are what we are.

One of the hidden gems of the year for me, awesome performances from C. Hall, Shepard and Johnson (I didn't think he was OTT at all) and the soundtrack is great too, a sly nod to John Carpenter in the soundtrack and also in the casting of Kurt Russell's son (he's the bad guy in it). Along with Blue Ruin and Locke as the biggest surprises for me.

Got the Raid 2 on Blu-Ray today, still by far my Film of the year. Action cinema at it's very best with colourful bad guys and plenty of blood, pity Hollywood won't have the balls to go all out and make action films as great as this. The last 45 minutes of the film is pinnacle of action cinema especially the kitchen fight. Gareth Evan's and co are going to have a hard time trying to top the first two movies with the Third movie in the trilogy, with Tony Jaa supposedly signed on to star as the villain. 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The Banshee Chapter

Loved almost every bit of this film, perfect for its genre. Fantastic at such a low budget and out performs so many of the bigger budget horror/thriller films.

The story draws you in, the acting is solid and the film makes you feel claustraphobic as it goes on. The use of shadow and darkness is fantastic

I wasn't totally happy with the end, the premise they went with in the film.

Well worth a look though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Boyhood - they say it took 12 years in the making and by god i felt every bit of it!

Way too long, had some nice moments, even parts where i could fondly recall similar experiences but by the end of it I'd wished I'd gone to see the Inbetweeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

they say it took 12 years
    What do you mean "they say"? Those 12 years are right up on screen. :P

I actually think it's extremely economical for a 3 hour movie and really couldn't have stood to be any shorter. Especially considering that it only adds up to what, 10 to 15 minutes per year? If anything I hope to see a director's cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

A directors cut that cut out those clunky, heavy-handed moments would be something I'd check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Went to the Cineworld Unlimited screening of Into the Storm last night

Struggling to sum it up to be honest, I had fun watching it but it is mindless fluff of the highest orer. That is a compliments of sorts

It is kind of like an Asylum movie with better effects, acting and direction, in which case I would have expected the title to be Super-Dooper Tornado storm or something

It is what it is, it is Twister on steroids, felt a bit like a rollercoaster at times

It was a good craic trashy movie I suppose

Also fair play to the Cineworld team, they had to deal with moving screens and a sound system failure but were in good spirits and gave out some prizes for answering questions and spot prizes for stickers under the seats, added to the fun of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Parallax View - this is one of those films where I was flicking through Netflix and realised 'wait a second, I haven't actually seen this!' despite having long since acknowledged it was a film I needed to get around to. It didn't disappoint. It is a delightful slice of 70s paranoia. Visually it's inspired - it makes fantastic use out of stillness and subtle camera movements to create an atmosphere of constant unease and tension. It is, basically, a film that has paranoia built into its very cinematography, while there are no shortage of memorable images throughout, not least the stunning shot that repeats over the opening and closing credits. The setpieces are great - from a violent shock during the prologue, the viewer needs to be on their toes because something unexpected or explosive is very often a mere casual cut away (several edits advance the story forward in an impressively efficient and surprising way). The story itself - focusing on a journalist (Warren Beatty) attempting to infiltrate a shady corporation - is often complete nonsense, albeit nonsense tinged with a deep distrust of authority. But the film is never less than arresting, building up to a very memorable finale in a truly cavernous warehouse.

Too Late Blues - John Cassavates sophomore feature is a strange beast, a film that is clearly an unusual compromise between commercial motivation and a fiercely independent director. I've only seen a handful of Cassavates films, but this definitely feels a little more awkward and uncertain in some respects. But the director's freewheeling approach to filmmaking is still there, especially in a dynamic opening hour. It's also an early and intriguing take on a crisis of masculinity - the theme that dominates the other Cassavates films I've seen. It helps that Bobby Darin in the lead role, as a frustrated jazz musician who is forced to 'sell out', has a great and distinctive screen presence, and is capably backed by a talented supporting cast too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Watched Good Will Hunting in the light of the death of R Williams.

V. good film.

(Amazingly, I hadn't seen it before)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

One Hour Photo

Robin Williams plays the lead character, Sy the photo guy, who develops photographs in a small photo lab inside a Walmart type shopping centre. He develops an unhealthy infatuation with a regular customer and her family.

Overall a brilliant film. Williams plays the creepy persona very well, I'd almost prefer his more serious roles over his comedy.

Great ending to it.

If you haven't seen this, I'd recommend watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'One Hour Photo' is probably his best film (he was good in 'Insomnia' and 'The Night Listener' too) out of a very large repertoire of pretty bloody awful fare, it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I have had The Angriest Man in Brooklyn for ages, given the tragic news decided to stick it on last night.

That was a wise move.... had a lump in my throat the size of an old volkswagon golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

Finally got around to watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - can't say I was blown away but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Rewatched The Usual Suspects earlier in the day (cos somebody else in the house happened to have it on) ... was drawn in again , despite seeing it numerous times.

• Advertisement

Muppets Most Wanted. I was in the mood for some silliness. As much as I like Tina Fey (I'm a huge 30 Rock fan) and on occasion Ricky Gervais (TV work definitely, movies I'm not so keen), they don't (for me anyway) have the star-power to carry a movie like this - particularly as you'd assume a large portion of the target audience would be kids. I can't imagine kids knowing either? It wasn't awful, it's "nice" and does have a few giggles, but overall it pales in comparison to the previous Jason Segel-led Muppet movie. 5.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Watched "Robogeisha" (2009) and "Good Morning Vietnam" (1987) yesterday. Both were awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

The Purge

As home-invasion movies go, this wasn't up to much. (You're Next from last year was much, much better!) The idea of a future America where all crime is legal/encouraged for one night each year is, I guess, an interesting premise. But the film does very little with it, except surely win a competition for the amount of times they use the "baddie is about to kill goodie but delays just long enough to get himself/herself shot just in time by an unseen person" situation. Honestly, I think it happened 4 times in 10 minutes. Very Prison Break-esque

I've read that the follow up is an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pieces of Talent

piecesoftalent.jpg

Pieces of Talent revolves around a lonely young woman named Charlotte who by chance meets a film maker named David. A burgeoning relationship develops between the two, Charlotte dreams of being a film star and David tells her everything she wants to hear.

Unbeknownst to her David harbours a dark secret and his increasing obsession with Charlotte leads him towards making his masterpiece.

Pieces of Talent has been doing the rounds on the festival circuit over the last number of months and has gained alot of buzz, I must say, alot of it warranted.

Its fairly linear and follows the well worn path of boy meets girl, boy turns out to be serial killer but it is done very, very well. David is an extremely likeable protagonist and the actor gives a stellar performance, the dialogue is good, some darkly humourous moments with little or no cheese. The effects work is excellent, all practical, man made effects which imo make such a difference to movies of this nature. It even has
    an exploding head scene, something that used to be a staple in horror movies but is sadly lacking nowadays.

There is genuine tension throughout (some scenes were very reminiscent of Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and it doesn't have to rely on cheap bang scares or gratuitous gore to get a reaction.

The only issue I had was with the ending which left me wanting more but aside from that, this is a very well made, thoroughly enjoyable independent horror flick and Id urge anyone that has an interest in horror movies to support it and buy a copy.

It can be picked up directly from the maker through www.piecesoftalent.com and you can get it signed by the writer/director and two main stars at no extra cost. It costs less than €20 incl shipping from the States (nearly half the cost is shipping, thanks USPS :rolleyes: ) which is relatively pricey for a DVD but is well worth it to help support film makers that are actually doing something a bit different but more importantly, doing it well.

Finally, watch the vlogs on the site, they are fantastic!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Raiders Of The Lost Ark - one of my favourite movies of all time in a cinema here doing a classic summer blockbuster season (previously saw Jaws and Back To The Future, Goonies next weekend). I'm pretty sure it was a bluray but I'm not certain, some of the pic quality was a bit blurry but not dvd level it looked HD but not in all scenes, I dunno what source it was. Anyhoo, it was great, cinema was sold out, which for a 33 year old movie is damn impressive of a friday night, people clapped and cheered and laughed at all the right times and were quiet the rest, perfect cinema crowd. The sound was immense on it though, that shootout in Marian's bar was deafening and so was the truck chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 perryboy

"Dublin Murders" (1973) on DVD. aka “A Likely Story” aka “Horowitz in Dublin” aka “Assassinatos em Dublin”

Starring Harvey Lembeck, Sinead Cusack, Al Lettieri, Cyril Cusack and a host of other well known names.

A recently widowed New York detective (Harvey Lembeck) travels to Ireland to honour the dying wishes of his wife to look up her family. No sooner has he arrived than he finds himself propelled into a murder investigtion and is persuaded to lend the Gardai a helping hand. The late Al Lettieri plays a blinder as a homicidal loose cannon...

An absolutely impossible movie to find and this is the only DVD copy I've found in two years of trawling the internet. I found my copy in Taiwan and the only other one I've come across is a VHS copy in Brazil. Entertaining enough in its own right but it was as a time capsule of Dublin fadó fadó that I wanted to see the movie and it didn't disappoint and the picture quality was superb.

Would love to see a copy of this. How much did you pay for a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Blade Runner. Never seen it before. Can't say I was particularly drawn in by it but I was interrupted a couple of times so that didn't help, I'll give it another look under better circumstances. I will say thought that it's pretty awesome visually, so I can't imagine how good it looked 30 odd years ago.

I love the "I've seen things" bit at the end, seeing that clip on YouTube made me want to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

perryboy wrote: »
    Would love to see a copy of this. How much did you pay for a copy?

It's not a matter of cost, it's just not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Gorky Park" (1983) on YouTube via Wii.

19a3c62845b108fc7ea86c02dbb9e0c6_jpg_290x478_upscale_q90.jpg

Running to just over two hours this is one worth watching - I didn't nod off once despite viewing it very late in the evening!

Star studded cast including William Hurt, Lee Marvin, Brian Dennehy, Ian Bannen etc.etc. Three bodies with their faces cut-off are found in Gorky Park, Moscow, and when senior policeman (William Hurt) investigates he finds evidence of KGB involvement as well as that of an American businessman (Lee Marvin). The story cracks along at a good pace leading to a satisfying climatic scene as the movie draws to a close. I can't really say more without giving away the plot but it's one worth watching. 9/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched Mission Blue on Netflix this afternoon. Documentary about Sylvia Earl, Oceanographer, Explorer, Awesome Lady.

It basically uses Sylvia Earle's life story to touch on a few of the main issues affecting the health of our Oceans. It's interesting because she can basically give an eye witness account of so many of the changes that have occurred over the space of about 50 years. From growing up in a pre tourist Florida to visiting the coral sea off Australia in the 70's and going back to it now there are so many startling changes.

It's not the most hard hitting documentary and I feel like her own life and experience would have made an interesting enough documentary on it's own without getting into the issues of over fishing, pollution, oil spills etc. etc. but it does give a slightly different look at these issues and, as I said, it's interesting to see the changes through the eyes of someone who saw the before and after.

If you're interested in this kind of thing there's nothing really new here but it's quite an accessible documentary if you only have a mild interest and don't want to be blinded with science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement