Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

That made me laugh, plenty of films used to look very good indeed.

Can't say I've seen anything as impressive as that though. I was only born a few years after it was released though so it's fair to say I haven't seen much from that era.

On topic: Just watched Godzilla (2014), what a pile of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I watched The Purge Anarchy last night. I was expecting to not enjoy it, because of how completely ridiculous the premise is, but I ended up enjoying it, I thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Still catching up with fairly-recent movies that I've been meaning to see. Last night it was The Great Gatsby (2013). In the thread on the film, I said that I was happy with the choice of director, and I can stand by that after seeing the film. It wasn't perfect, but I didn't expect it to be. Nor did I expect it to be realistic, since the book wasn't: the character of Nick Carraway is an unreliable narrator who is clearly reacting - badly - to what he experienced. So Luhrmann's choice to imbue his film with an air of hyper-reality is in keeping with the book, I thought.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

MJ23 wrote: »
    For anyone thinking of going to see this, dont bother, hang onto your tenner. Wait til it's on the telly next year, and watch it on a boring midweek night.

:eek: it was one of the best films of the year so far, maybe you had a bad day or something. I advise people to go and see it, it's brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

One of the best films of the year is pushing it quite a bit.Was decent enough for a typical no brain action film though,and the apes looked good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I enjoyed Apes but my biggest issue was that it didn't really lead anywhere, by the end the apes are still very much in the same place they were at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Godfather

So much has been said about this film, it just gets better as the years go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Blue Ruin
    Watched it at the weekend. First half an hour or so I thought it was excellent. Set up the story quite nicely. Would have like to have seen Dwight
    stay as a tramp for longer
    , but I guess needs must!! I really liked that side of the film
    that he's gone off the rails as a result of someone else's action and I wish it was explored further
    . The last hour or so was a bit formulaic, there were still some nice little touches and it was very well shot and cast. Would like to see Macon Blair break through because of this, seems to have the makings of a pretty good actor.
    Good but not great. 7.5-8 out of 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Watched The Savages last night.Thought both Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney were excellent,and the emotional turmoil both characters went through was portrayed really well.Thought the obvious sadness of the subject matter was interspersed with the right amount of subtle but funny bits of dark comedy too.

Really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Watched the Al Pacino flick. Cruising. Mad film all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Audition 1999 cult Japanese horror on DVD. A rewatch for the first time in years, and a first time viewing for the other half - she lasted about three quarters before she said she couldn't take anymore - obviously I finished it! ;) Deeply dark and disturbing in places, I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it and it still holds up for me. 7.5/10

Sarah's Key French movie with Kristin Scott Thomas, taped from Film 4 recently about a holocaust survivor and a journalist's (KST) attempts to investigate and tell her story. You also find out about the French Govt.'s part in shipping 70,000+ Jews to Auschwitz - something they obviously enough don't talk very much about. Slow and deliberate, but well told and in many ways a "typical" French movie. 7/10.

Sin City 2 tomorrow, I cannot wait!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Watched Good Will Hunting - hadn't seen it before. Good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

First trip to the cinema in a few months last Friday to see 'Maps to the Stars' directed by David Cronenberg. An unsettling yet engrossing commentary on the insipidness of the hollywood ideal.

The brilliant Julianne Moore turns in a performance on a par with Cate Blanchett in last years 'Blue Jasmine', ie all engrossing. There is also a very convincing performance from the young actor Evan Bird as a troubled teen.

I left the cinema and the first thing that came in to my mind was David Lynch's 'Mulholland Drive'. Whilst not quite reaching those heights, many of the qualities were similar without reaching the same levels of execution.

A strong film that came up a few ideas short of being a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Due Date

Third time to see this and I still laughed from start to finish.

Its very rare lately that I would find a comedy that would still humour me after the second viewing but the road trip that the two main characters embark on still cracks me up.

Ethan Tremblae has one of the most punchable but yet pitiful personalities on film i've ever seen and it could of probably went down as a spin off to the Zach Galifinikis character from the Hangover series, it will still go down as one of my favourite comedies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Devostator

e_e wrote: »
    Punch-Drunk Love, for the third time.

One of those movies that makes the world seem like a better place. Wonderful.

Is this a movie? oh, I guess it is. LOL, the end is funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For in 3D in the cinema last night. I can't even begin to say how much I loved the first SC movie and how much I was looking forward to this. Unfortunately what was brave, new, uber-stylish and fresh in the first movie has become almost run of the mill now; throw in a substantially weaker storyline(s) and the overall result is very "meh". The first movie also clearly signposted each individual chapter/story. Here, they roll into one with the result being that I was genuinely shocked when the credits came as I assumed there simply had to be more (there wasn't). I must have enjoyed it on some level though seeing as 2hours+ passed by relatively quickly, but to be completely honest it felt more like "The Spirit 2" than a Sin City prequel/sequel. Eva Green and Jamie Chung do their jobs as eye candy particularly well (Jessica Alba doesn't ooze the same sex appeal as she did previously as Navy for some reason) but the only one to really shine is Powers Boothe and maybe JGL at a stretch. Overall, a hugely disappointing 5/10 - and I say that as a fan of the first movie and of Rodriguez. :( Also, complete waste of money going for the 3D upgrade/viewing btw, so if you are going, 2D would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Winter Sleep (2014 - Turkey) hyptnotising scenery for me, complex dialogues
    Clouds of Sils Maria (2014) great acting, but too many themes for one movie, IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tower Heist:

I knew what I was in for but can't get over how actually awful it was, plot holes all over the shop, tone veers wildly and facts are just disregarded.

"Hey, it's a gold car, y'know, MADE OF GOLD, should be no problems with 3 of
    us holding it upright on top of a lift. Hey, here's the front fender from an
    obviously more modern Ferrari, made of gold. Hey, everyone, there will be no
    issues selling parts of a car made of gold because..."

"Hey, I got the court date changed. How? Sure no one will expect an
    explantion, will they?"

Only saving grace of sorts was Eddie Murphy playing an Eddie Murphy of the '80's part.

Fcuking rubbish directed by Sh!t Bratner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Enough Said (2013)

I guess it would be described as a romcom only a bit more grown up than most. I wouldn't usually watch this type of film so was surprised it kept me interested. Imagine curb your enthusiasm only Larry as a slightly less neurotic woman played by Julia Louis Dreyfus. James Gandolfini is also very good in a role that is very down to earth, miles away from some of his other more flamboyant characters. All in all not really my thing but enjoyed it so 7/10

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Enough Said (2013)

I guess it would be described as a romcom only a bit more grown up than most. I wouldn't usually watch this type of film so was surprised it kept me interested. Imagine curb your enthusiasm only Larry as a slightly less neurotic woman played by Julia Louis Dreyfus. James Gandolfini is also very good in a role that is very down to earth, miles away from some of his other more flamboyant characters. All in all not really my thing but enjoyed it so 7/10

Yeah I watched that a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyable, wish Dreyfuss did more films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

VHS 2.

It had its moments. A tad poor overall, though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

whirlpool wrote: »
    VHS 2.

The alien one was the worst. So cheap!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Safe Haven pretty much makes up for all of VHS 2's other shortcomings. Wonderfully demented stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

whirlpool wrote: »
    VHS 2.

Yeh, I watched this a couple of nights ago and felt the same. It wasn't much better than the first effort and some parts didn't make any sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Watched The two faces of January over the weekend. I was expecting more than it delivered, it was watchable but nothing out of the ordinary. Viggo Mortensen was probably the best cast character.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Safe Haven pretty much makes up for all of VHS 2's other shortcomings. Wonderfully demented stuff.

It was undoubtedly the best of the bunch, but none of the other offerings had anything interesting going on - they weren't even interesting takes on the topics they tried to do.

I've not heard particularly good things about V/H/S Viral from the folks who've been to Frightfest (and, well, if anyone was going to like it it should have been that audience) so I think that the attempt at quickly bootstrapping a single successful film into a franchise appears to have flatlined already. Which is a shame, because with better curation and less of a rush to churn something out to a schedule this could've been that rare thing, a horror film series that didn't inevitably suck donkey ass from installment 2 onwards...

Fysh wrote: »
    It was undoubtedly the best of the bunch, but none of the other offerings had anything interesting going on - they weren't even interesting takes on the topics they tried to do.

I've not heard particularly good things about V/H/S Viral from the folks who've been to Frightfest (and, well, if anyone was going to like it it should have been that audience) so I think that the attempt at quickly bootstrapping a single successful film into a franchise appears to have flatlined already. Which is a shame, because with better curation and less of a rush to churn something out to a schedule this could've been that rare thing, a horror film series that didn't inevitably suck donkey ass from installment 2 onwards...

One of the segments, Dante The Great is getting really good reviews and many are claiming that it's the best short out of all three films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scarlettH

I just watched 'The Immortal Instruments' 'City of Bones' yes I know i'm slow :) I've read online so many people bad mouthing it, and the actors playing the parts, i'll admit I was always curious to know what all the fuss was about, so I rented it on iTunes and watched it over the weekend, and I thought it was a good movie, I haven't read the books like most people seem to have, and I don't plan on reading them either. But still a good movie to have watched, and just when they announced the second movie is to go into production - is that a secret, ssuuuhhhhh, don't tell anybody... ;)
    Now, Robert or Jamie, if I were Clary who would I choose, Decisions, Decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Leprechaun Origins- I felt a patriotic fervor to see emblems of Celtic tweeness desecrated on screen, and sure there wasn't a whole lot else to be doing, so there wasn't

Complete and utter rubbish of course.

There isn't a whole lot to be said about this. It was played surprisingly straight, which did the film no favours really as it just underlined how stupid everything about it was. In this version the leprechaun is something of a cross between the predator and one of the teletubbies. He doesn't crack wise like Warwick Davis back in the day, just sort of gurgles like a man with fierce bad catarrh. He doesn't even have an impish grin, just oozing slime with a mouth somewhere. He still likes gold, sure they couldn't be getting rid of that character trait.

The gore is hit and miss, the accents are atrocious, it's clearly not Ireland. Also features the worst looking pints of "Guinness" in movie history.

Shocking bad altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ign.com gave that film 0.9/10 they wouldn't even round it up to 1 haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement