Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Capote(2005)

Was I the only person that had absolutely no idea what Phillip Seymour Hoffman was saying because of the accent he put on. Ruined the film for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Glebee wrote: »
    Capote(2005)

Was I the only person that had absolutely no idea what Phillip Seymour Hoffman was saying because of the accent he put on. Ruined the film for me.

Thought he was perfectly coherent, and its an amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

TIME AFTER TIME

A premise that should've been put down. HG Wells pursues Jack The Ripper
    across time and ends up in modern day San Francisco. Where The Wells woos the ditzy and
    absolutely wonderful Mary Steenburgen to get to the END OF THINGS.

There's a cracking twist midway through which really caught me out thanks
    to director Nic Meyers really luring you in.

And the always excellent David Warner plays The Ripper.

Tony EH wrote: »
    What?

That's the first I've heard of that.

I know some people who swear the guy's a right ass, but a "rapist"? That's new.

It's all on THE 'NET, son.

SEE and BELIEVE.

shazzerman wrote: »
    And Darren McGavin is brilliant in it!

Is that him on that weird film channel thing FILM TOSS 24
    starring in CRY PANIC! with warnings of editing and cuts after every break
    during the day?!?!

"Jesus..."

KOLCHAK come BACK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fury

Quite disappointed with it and there was a lot more CGI than I was expecting, the tracer fire appeared like they were shooting light sabres at each other.

Some parts were interesting and showed an interesting take on the allied forces doing very questionable things though they were few and far between and eventually the film got itself into a comfortable cliched form with the ragtag crew of war characters you've seen plenty of times before.

That end battle
    was just ludicrous and felt like it belonged to different movie. It painted the Germans as complete idiots who lined up one after another to have themselves killed with perfect precision from our heroes on their last stand. Anyone who even as much as looked at Pitt was shot with pinpoint accuracy, he put Robocop to shame.

It was insulting to see them just obliterate so many people from a static position in the middle of a crossroad, it pissed on the notion of realism this film was supposed to portray.

An entertaining watch but I found it nowhere near the calibre of other prominent war films which I heard so many people hype it up as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Imitation Game. Absolutely brilliant. My favourite film this year after The Guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Spy who came in from the cold - (1965, Richard Burton,Claire Bloom, Cyril Cusack, dir. by Martin Ritt). An entertaining adaptation of the Le Carre novel,far superior to the recent Tinker,Tailor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Gone Girl - wow very impressed with this.

One of Finchers best ...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Glebee wrote: »
    Capote(2005)

It pretty accurately depicted how Capote actually spoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Mockingjay Hunger Games Part 1

I enjoyed the second film. It was very action packed but having read Mockingjay I felt let down that they made it a two parter as the action in this film is short lived and I didn't find the performances absorbing enough. I'm disappointed that this dividing movies into parts is now a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

This Is Spinal Tap 1984

If you're a fan of heavy metal (which I am), particularly that of the ridiculous and overblown 1980's variety (again, which I also am), then this film is absolutely hilarious. Even if you're not, it is still hilarious.

It so neatly and brilliantly skewers the pretensions of heavy metal bands so well. I have tears running down my face from watching it.

It cut way too close to the bone for some heavy metallers back in the day apparently. It was so realistic, that some people even said to Rob Reiner that the next time he made a documentary that he should do it about a more famous band.

An absolute classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Scrooged

Bill Murray shouts his way through Richard Donner's version of A Christmas Carol. I remember liking this film at one time but on my latest viewing it's actually a pretty horrible mess of a movie. Frank Cross (Bill Murray)starts out as a selfish asshole and ends up as a selfish asshole. I think I'll watch The Muppets Christmas Carol again for the definitive version of Dickens classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gone Girl: Crazy movie, enjoyable and couldn't really fault the characters or the actors portraying them - overall it was a very good movie that made you think...and left a little shellshocked

Lets be Cops: Has a 6.6 on imdb - I'd give it 6.8 because it's another one of those movies - i.e. it's a movie you've seen many times before but just a little bit different, that said, I enjoyed the storyline despite it being a bit predictable but I did fear for the guys safety in parts. Also, just a sidenote but I'm flat out in love with Nina Dobrev :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

JaseHeath wrote: »
    This Is Spinal Tap 1984

If you're a fan of heavy metal (which I am), particularly that of the ridiculous and overblown 1980's variety (again, which I also am), then this film is absolutely hilarious. Even if you're not, it is still hilarious.

It so neatly and brilliantly skewers the pretensions of heavy metal bands so well. I have tears running down my face from watching it.

It cut way too close to the bone for some heavy metallers back in the day apparently. It was so realistic, that some people even said to Rob Reiner that the next time he made a documentary that he should do it about a more famous band.

An absolute classic.

These amps go to 11 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

MANIAC

The Olde One that is and the one that TOM SAVINI supposedly disowned.
    Until his career, after DAY OF THE DEAD, disappeared down the crapper.

Anyways, MANIAC is probably the best of THE SLASHER YEARS. Though, his
    THE PROWLER is not half bad either.

The EFX are HANDS ON textbook, Jay Chattaway's score unforgettable,
    Joe Spinell pitch perfect punching above his own weight with the quite
    wonderful Caroline Munroe, and A DUMMY payoff TO BOOT.

A NICE PACKAGE.

He disowned "Nightmares in a Damaged Brain" not "Maniac".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

the_monkey wrote: »
    These amps go to 11 ..
    "The sustain, listen to it!"
    "I don't hear anything."
    "You would... if it were playing."

the_monkey wrote: »
    These amps go to 11 ..

"Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number and make that a little louder?"

"These go to 11."

It's just the confused, lost look on Nigel's face that makes that exchange so priceless. Legendary scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

"This song is called 'Lick my Love Pump.'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

"I think that the problem may have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf."

• Advertisement

Cucumber wrapped in tinfoil.

"Do you have any artificial plates or limbs?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Went to see Interstellar.
    I only have one word to describe it.

EPIC!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sh!t sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)

After seeing his parents brutally murdered by a crook in a santa suit and then spending his formative years in an orphanage run by a draconian nun, late teens Billy flips out one Christmas and goes on a rampage.

Released to some controversy in 1984 due to its depiction of santa as a serial murderer, this was hampered (or helped depending on who you ask) in its box office performance.

Its typical slasher fare with the innocents getting killed by various means such as axe, gun and a mounted deer head. Its good fun, I liked the back story of how Billy became the killer, it was nicely paced and the actress that played the mother superior was suitably wicked.

It certainly added nothing new to the genre but its good and doesnt over stay its welcome clocking in at around 80 minutes.

If you are interested then seek out the unrated cut. There were alot of the kill scenes edited in earlier versions. These are easy to spot, much like in the unrated cut of the original My Bloody Valentine, due to degeneration of the previously cut footage and it not been mastered on release, it stands out like a sore thumb. Though not nearly as enjoyable as MBV, its still good craic and a nice alternative to normal Christmas movies.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

JaseHeath wrote: »
    This Is Spinal Tap 1984

An absolute classic.

If you haven't seen it watch Anvil: The story of Anvil brilliant too, but its actually real

jh79 wrote: »
    He disowned "Nightmares in a Damaged Brain" not "Maniac".

Kidz. You gotta love 'em. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

http://www.atrocitiescinema.com/DVD/maniac.html

He does claim not to have worked on Nightmare but the director claims otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

:confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Happy Christmas to all ye Boogalooers!

Hopefully new home cinema system from Santa for all of us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

White Reindeer
    An alternative Christmas movie. Read some things about it that made it sound like it could be pretty interesting watch and I've come out of it thinking that there's a very good idea in there, but it wasn't executed correctly here. Nonetheless, the lead (Anna Margaret Hollyman) gives an incredibly endearing performance* and helps hold together some pretty disparate strands so i wound up liking it overall.

* to the point that I'm actively going to keep an eye out for her name from now on, surprised she's not fronting tons of films. Greta Gerwig-esque vibes of "this person's way better than everyone else here" to her, but more low-key

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement